Meaning of Red Names

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

The useless flaming seriously needs to stop. if you are worried about people attacking you without me's then carry a shield in your arm (it doesnt give a color) As Phrase said your weapon is in your hand unsheathed and ready to fight if you are red. And if someone attacks you without an emote just report him. Please play fair.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Julius wrote:
abcfantasy wrote:Why is it so hard to respect the technicalities of the game and keep your swords in the char's belt until he would have drawn them out?
Because, I've witnessed so many attacks without #mes or any warning from your side that I won't walk into town without blades in my hands. The Mark incident, the attacks from Konrad, and other senseless pk fests have made me weary of using this new system adequately.
you can easily spin that into a RP reason to carry weapons. Use less ooc when dealing with this ingame, and replace that with a RP reason

edit: besides, that what this update is for, the fact someone is carrying a weapon drawn means they want to attack. So if someone is red, ask them to sheath them, if they dont, assume they will attack.
Last edited by Salathe on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

*Hands two lollipops to Holyknight instead of one*
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

So a crafter is ready to attack with a needle, is ready to cast with a stirring rod, and when he makes arrows he is ready to shoot them, under your statement.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Vern Kron wrote:So a crafter is ready to attack with a needle, is ready to cast with a stirring rod, and when he makes arrows he is ready to shoot them, under your statement.
in my statement i said weapons, not tools.
Fianna Heneghan

Post by Fianna Heneghan »

It was nice to see Dantagon ig expressing exactly Julius's view. This might be the first time those two POs ever agreed on something and I thought it was worth mentioning. :D
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Vern Kron wrote:So a crafter is ready to attack with a needle, is ready to cast with a stirring rod, and when he makes arrows he is ready to shoot them, under your statement.
That happens because items are somewhat "grouped".

A needle and a sword are in the same group and as the code that makes the name turn red work with an "if itemgroup=this print red" kind of fashion, you'll be red even though you only wield a needle.

Same with stirring rods (counts as wands) and arrows (distance weapon).

Before the devs exclude those items with a workaround just try to rp what you think is right and appropriate:

I wouldn't care for someone running around with his smithing hammer in hand as much as if he'd carry a sword around. The later would have me alarmed.
Illarion

Post by Illarion »

HolyKnight wrote:The useless flaming seriously needs to stop. if you are worried about people attacking you without me's then carry a shield in your arm (it doesnt give a color) As Phrase said your weapon is in your hand unsheathed and ready to fight if you are red. And if someone attacks you without an emote just report him. Please play fair.
Screw that one shield stuff. Carry four one in each hand and two on your belt in case they break, then you don't need a sword if your skills are so good. How can anyone break such uber defense. :D
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Fianna Heneghan wrote:It was nice to see Dantagon ig expressing exactly Julius's view. This might be the first time those two POs ever agreed on something and I thought it was worth mentioning. :D
Illarion wrote:Screw that one shield stuff. Carry four one in each hand and two on your belt in case they break, then you don't need a sword if your skills are so good. How can anyone break such uber defense. Very Happy
/2x signed

You both make me laugh.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Fianna Heneghan wrote:It was nice to see Dantagon ig expressing exactly Julius's view. This might be the first time those two POs ever agreed on something and I thought it was worth mentioning. :D
Personally I think the look at function is bs. It makes the game based more upon technicalities than role play. It's an rp game, damn it. If I say my characters swords are sheathed regardless of what your damned look at system says, they are sheathed, if I say Dan is wearing red, dragon like armor, then he is wearing red dragon like armor and not old salk, good elven silver steel, or what ever else you may see. If we place an increased amount of priority on what the game tells us, we will spend less time using our imaginations and more time going "Ha! Your using bad rp by actually rping."

I like being able to see the world to so speak and have defined area's instead of completelly making it up. But I also like designing my character to look the way I think he should look instead of a game teling me. Do all humans have brown hair now too?

Let us spend more time creating a world we see in our minds, not on pixel upon pixel on the computer screen.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:
Personally I think the look at function is bs. It makes the game based more upon technicalities than role play. It's an rp game, damn it. If I say my characters swords are sheathed regardless of what your damned look at system says, they are sheathed, if I say Dan is wearing red, dragon like armor, then he is wearing red dragon like armor and not old salk, good elven silver steel, or what ever else you may see. If we place an increased amount of priority on what the game tells us, we will spend less time using our imaginations and more time going "Ha! Your using bad rp by actually rping."

I like being able to see the world to so speak and have defined area's instead of completelly making it up. But I also like designing my character to look the way I think he should look instead of a game teling me. Do all humans have brown hair now too?

Let us spend more time creating a world we see in our minds, not on pixel upon pixel on the computer screen.
Amen to that sister.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:

its not a matter of RP. It matter of people following what it means. So those of us that follow it are now technically disabled since you are ignoring it. Why is it a problem to RP with the technicalities?

Im sure no decent RPer will give a rats ass that you wear salk but call it red/dragon like. You can edit the details of all the technicalities anyway you want, everyone knows that. But in this case, that would be saying your sword is at hand, but you are cleaning it, or sharpening it, or whatever. But the fact of the matter is that its at hand.

And no, saying "#me swords are sheathed" does not make it so. Just like saying "#me is injured and weak". I've seen people say #me is injured and weak" but go ahead and run away with ease and fight without a problem. People that say this aren't injured, because if they were, they wouldnt be able to run, let alone fight.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

No Dan this system is not BS, now you actually know what you are getting yourself into before you get into a fight. It also allows weaker characters like fairies and crafters to not just have a n00b walk up to them and ctrl+click. What is the big problem with having your sword on your belt anyway is it that detrimental to the gaming atmosphere? This I wont do stuff by just a couple of people is not good for the overall community. When the majority of the people ig enjoy the idea and willingly indulge the overall wishes it makes things run smoothly. When you say NO i am not doing something as easy as putting your weapon in a slot to inches away its not very conducive.

Perhaps when about 1000 people keep asking you why your swords aren't sheathed when everyone else around you has theirs properly sheathed... perhaps then you will change your mind?
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

HolyKnight wrote:perhaps then you will change your mind?
I know julius quickly retracts his statement of having you dealing with him pking your ass, when salathe asks him to sheath his weapons. I refuse to be technically disabled while they ignore it. So i refuse to listen to #me's about sheathing weapons that are in hand slots.

Saying your swords are sheathed while at hand is equivalent to say you're wearing a cloth shirt while wearing a full set of armor
Last edited by Salathe on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

lol
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Why can't I just roleplay he's naked if we make the truth of the game so relative? It is a problem that players are untruthful about their characters. How can you counteract this except make the truth easily accessible?
Dantagon Marescot

Maybe when people who seek to pk others follow that rule i will feel safe following it as well. I don't like it for the same reason I don't like the fighting system. It will be abused so others will have an advantage. When people like Julius and Dain follow it as well, I just might. Til then, I won't go, "Oh, I'm being attack... must move swo... oh... I'm dead..."

And Gobby... when you asked, didn't I say I didn't like it before it was added?

Edit: btw, where do new characters weapons start out at. Are those in the hand or in the belt? If they are in the hand, are new players really going to understand what we mean by "sheath your weapon?"
Last edited by Dantagon Marescot on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:Maybe when people who seek to pk others follow that rule i will feel safe following it as well. I don't like it for the same reason I don't like the fighting system. It will be abused so others will have an advantage. When people like Julius and Dain follow it as well, I just might. Til then, I won't go, "Oh, I'm being attack... must move swo... oh... I'm dead..."

And Gobby... when you asked, didn't I say I didn't like it before it was added?
julius ignores it like you do. Dain follows it
Dantagon Marescot

Well, if PO Julius agrees to follow then I will. But I won;'t leave myself open to attacks because people choose to abuse the system.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Ignoring the technical issue and abusing it is being part of the problem. I think all that can be said on this topic has been said in this thread already.

So... if nothing changes on this board, it'll change in game.

But i'd personally love to see people follow it, and have their char realize carrying a sword shows aggression, and shouldnt be done in places like inside town boundaries. Making it so that when you see a name in red, you know some shit is going down.
Dantagon Marescot

I'm still waiting for an "amen sister" from Julius and an agreement that he will keep his sword in his belt. Then I will agree to keep the sword in the belt.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

i dont see why you have to. If you only problem is julius, just draw your swords when you see his drawn. You see the char as a threat so you defend yourself by drawing yours. Stop dealing with things ooc, and deal with them ic.
Dantagon Marescot

Better idea. ;) Eh, I'll play along with the stupid rules. Though I really wish people would not be picky with technical issues and learn to rp and react on rp, not yellowz skills or red, blue, green, pink, and purple text. It is a rp game. Not runescape.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I have no problem carrying weapons/shields in belt easily accessible. It is not that hard to grab if needed. The bag is a little harder to grab. If fighting a red with two people, you may want two swords, if you are being hit...grabbing a shield from your belt is a life-saver. IMO it is not that hard and may just need a little practice. As far as the RP, it seems much harder to constantly explain ig and ooc that your weapons are REALLY SHEATHED then to just keep them out of the hand. If you want to be still imposing to some, just put a lot of weapons in the belt. :wink:

RP wise, IMO this can easily go along with game mechanics, the only thing I wish is you could have a shirt under the armor.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Dantagon Marescot wrote: And Gobby... when you asked, didn't I say I didn't like it before it was added?
The question was whether it should replace numbers fully, which didn't happen if I recall. :)
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:I have no problem carrying weapons/shields in belt easily accessible. It is not that hard to grab if needed. The bag is a little harder to grab. If fighting a red with two people, you may want two swords, if you are being hit...grabbing a shield from your belt is a life-saver. IMO it is not that hard and may just need a little practice. As far as the RP, it seems much harder to constantly explain ig and ooc that your weapons are REALLY SHEATHED then to just keep them out of the hand. If you want to be still imposing to some, just put a lot of weapons in the belt. :wink:

RP wise, IMO this can easily go along with game mechanics, the only thing I wish is you could have a shirt under the armor.
and to this I say *Amen Sister* Its my way to play too and I like it.

But I always giggle if I see a crafter appearing in red.. with the mighty power of a spoon in hand :P
Sssari

Post by Sssari »

Alytys Lamar wrote:
and to this I say *Amen Sister* Its my way to play too and I like it.

But I always giggle if I see a crafter appearing in red.. with the mighty power of a spoon in hand :P
A chill runs down my spine every time I see that.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Its the cooking spoon of doom, hell it has +2 in tastyness don't underestimate it.

Oh and Julia is right, grabbing a weapon is not hard, you fear somone is attacking you, well if he as a yellow name he will attack you with his fists, then he would need to get the weapon in his slot, everyone who ever tried to change weapon while figthing should now that you got a delay before you hold the weapon itself, so before anyone could even harm you, you have your shield and weapon in your hand and can strike back before he has any weapon in his hand, just stay away from people with red names, if you are afraid of getting attacked.
pharse

Post by pharse »

If a guard sees someone with a red name e.g. near the workshop, he just sees that this person holds something weapon like in his hands. A closer look at it will clear it up. No problem with that.

If you want to wear special clothing or armour, just be a bit patient. The playerlookat is being reworked and I think it will contain the possibility that one can see the embroideries, gravures etc of the top clothing/armour (so either the item on the coat or breast slot).
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Listen up children.

1. Red name = weapon unsheathed, in your hand, ready to use
2. Yellow name = in sheath

If you've got your hands on your blade hilts while they are in their sheathes, you still have to go through the process of unsheathing them, eliminating number 1, enabling number 2.

Julius, your blade is not ready to use, your name should not be red, for it is not ready to use, it is in its sheath, so do what everyone else does and keep your name yellow.

There's no point looking for technical advantages to win battles, after all, it is about roleplay and not winning. :roll: