Pets

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Pets

Post by LifeWonder »

I've seen how cows follow us around and have the ability to say stuff, and it made me think..

It would be neat if we could buy pets that do nothing more than follow us around, for the mere sake of roleplay. Would be cool to have a bird pet, snake pet, dogs, cats, wolves, whatever animals there is in Illarion.. All they need to do is follow us around, and maybe a "#pet" command that lets us emote for our pet.

#pet glances up to its master and purrs, arching its back and rubbing its side on its master's leg. (For a cat, eg.)

Not sure if it's possible, just an idea I'm throwing out like that
Llama

Post by Llama »

I had this idea before, but then I thought.. wouldn't it be irritating?

Its bad enough with cows which fail to follow you, and which block the depot off. Also animals which don't go through doors and down ladders? Bit useless.

Also I think they'd be abused of, used to create a barricade against enemies or so ;)

If you want pets just go ask a friendly mage to URA TAUR you an animal, then roleplay it ;)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Animals can go through doors, just cows are set not to.
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

pets ... sure :roll:
rp them if you want but this is no real use for the game
this is not the Sims, this is Illa :wink:
pharse

Post by pharse »

taming animals is possible, but on the importance list...quite at the bottom.

A "#pet" command needs a client change. As there is just a client update forthcoming it will take some time till the next one. Probably *shrugs*
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

As stated above:
Nice idea but is not perfect. I think some more thought needs to be put in. Not to mention, low on the priorities list.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

you can rp pets as it is. This isnt needed.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

You guys are forgetting the much important topic of pets!

Having them being able to attack. Tame a wolf, and then train him to be able to attack. Give them a command to attack a certain person and they will attack them. Animals will be faster and can follow a certain distance, making it easier to chase opponents that run.

Pets gain experience and become stronger, but have a lifespan of... 5 deaths? Something like that. Once they die, your next pet will be a nub. We could have stables that store them so you can have multiple ones.

There could be a number of different kind of pets.

Attack pets (wolves, etc..). Tame it, train it, attack with it.

Scout pets (Birds, etc...). Pets that dont attack, but you can give a command to find a certain player. THe pet goes off and depending on the location and experience of your pet, you get a message along the lines of "Your pet signals your target is north east of your location". Maybe they can also help find herbs? (im not sure how herb finding works, so maybe this makes no sense) Or treasures.

Storage pets (Cows, etc...). Pets that are meant for storage. Can be trained to carry more than cows you buy from npc.

I'd also suggest mountable pets, but i believe that is impossiblee

Could make taming a new profession
Llama

Post by Llama »

That would take an amazing amount of work... but its something I'd honestly like to see in the future.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I think attacking is not possible with the current Ai, but I would love this "scout" pet ..also some other kind of tracking device would be awesome.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Pellandria wrote:I think attacking is not possible with the current Ai,
Correct.

I could think of a very dirty fix though :P
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Declaring npcs monsters as pc's for pets? ;D
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Scout pets (Birds, etc...). Pets that dont attack, but you can give a command to find a certain player. THe pet goes off and depending on the location and experience of your pet, you get a message along the lines of "Your pet signals your target is north east of your location".
Hopefully you would also get a message "your pet has just been killed..the person was not found" :wink: . On the whole it sounds like a good idea, graphic-wise I can see it being a problem unless deer or something already ig is used.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Salathe wrote: I'd also suggest mountable pets, but i believe that is impossiblee

Could make taming a new profession
Actually, 'Mountable pets' are possible, if someone can make the graphics. There is a lot of work involved matching each race and gender with a single 'mount'. If someone could do this work, it wouldn't be as difficult. I'd LOVE to see Horses and ponies.

However, with the 'speed' factor set up the way it is....the client would need to be changed to reset the speeds of all tiles, so that 'Mounts' could 'appear' to move faster than walking.

For example, now....the street and grass tiles provide the basic walking rate, and terrain is set higher to 'slow you down'. With Horses, they could be set for these 'fastest' speeds, and everyone walking would be 'slowed down' by walking. Yeah, slower than now. Only way Horses could seem to be faster.

Another idea though is....Since this is a 'fantasy' game, why not 'mount a horse' and it uses 'magic' to teleport 4-6 spaces at a time in the direction you choose, for as long as you choose without using mana. THAT would be faster, and quickly become a 'preferred way to travel, besides Teleporters.!!!!

To be fair, you'd still have to 'walk' a cow. So.....we'd have a choice of Teleport, Speed or Cargo. ((LOL-Like "Empire Builder" or "Eurorails" games))

As for 'taming' as a 'skill'- I like the idea. In fact, why couldn't 'taming also help you with NPC monsters? It could increase your chance of 'not' being attacked (If this is even possible)), or it could just add extra 'defense' to simulate the NPC being persuaded not to attack. ((His heart wouldn't be in it))

Or....the taming of animals could open a new profession like "Beastmaster" and be added to the new Druid system.

Just some ideas.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

I'd want to suggest one thing:

Take your time, and perhaps a bit of interrest and try to see how a basic programming language is working, maybe even try to gain some insight on how Illarion scripts work.

Try to (by using analythical thinking) at least in concept grasp and think of what kind of operations, datafile interconnections and the like would have to be used to
implement some of the changes suggested here.

Maybe even do one thing and try to spot how things currently working in-game "work" if "split into single operations" and suggest how those parts (which are trusted and working) could be used to create new things.

An example of this:

An NPC Monster knows that it should attack you if set hostile. It will (if melee fighter) try its best to get straight at you to chop your head off.

A cow uses the same basic concept (follow target) so you can travel through the land with it together with a dialogue trigger "stop" to spawn an item (depot) which makes you store items in an own datafile.

Those are two usage possibilities of one trusted concept the later discovered only recently (among working out other things of course, but Npc attacking and following you has been there for longer).

----

Through trying to use this, the game would be helped a lot more than just listing features you'd like to see and the devs don't know just HOW to realize because the concepts aren't there yet and so have to comfort you with "Nice but a lot of work, low priority sorry"
Llama

Post by Llama »

The dirty fix I'm thinking is to have 2 creatures, one of which is an NPC (which doesn't attack, like a cow) the other of which is a monster (which does attack).

You send the NPC to the location, the server deletes him, puts the monster instead, who attacks. To make him stop, the server switches them again.

Its amazingly dirty, told you :P
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

would be nice to have a bird to send a message in game to some one.. no idea at all how that works.. for me it's verry hard to read forum while playing.. and logging on and off simply is bad for the server..
if i was waiting on a message and had to do it every 5 minutes.. but perhaps next client update.. i have wondered why there are no monster birds... we chops trees and none of them are inhabited.. perhaps deeper in the forest birds could live maby just to make a lil noise and sppok us maby to attack... rabid squirels would be cool.. j/k..

any way my cow does fine as my pet.. taming would be cool.. it'd make moving cunjured animals easier.. heh..
Llama

Post by Llama »

The reason why we don't have different animals is lack of graphics.

Also you can always put illarion as windowed, or ALT + TAB out to check the forums (game will still be open)
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:The reason why we don't have different animals is lack of graphics.

Also you can always put illarion as windowed, or ALT + TAB out to check the forums (game will still be open)
Or hit the window key(assuming your not on a mac) in full-screen mode if you don't mind being afk 30 seconds.
JonathanSmith

Post by JonathanSmith »

Faladron wrote:I'd want to suggest one thing:

Take your time, and perhaps a bit of interrest and try to see how a basic programming language is working, maybe even try to gain some insight on how Illarion scripts work.

Try to (by using analythical thinking) at least in concept grasp and think of what kind of operations, datafile interconnections and the like would have to be used to
implement some of the changes suggested here.

Maybe even do one thing and try to spot how things currently working in-game "work" if "split into single operations" and suggest how those parts (which are trusted and working) could be used to create new things.

An example of this:

An NPC Monster knows that it should attack you if set hostile. It will (if melee fighter) try its best to get straight at you to chop your head off.

A cow uses the same basic concept (follow target) so you can travel through the land with it together with a dialogue trigger "stop" to spawn an item (depot) which makes you store items in an own datafile.

Those are two usage possibilities of one trusted concept the later discovered only recently (among working out other things of course, but Npc attacking and following you has been there for longer).

----

Through trying to use this, the game would be helped a lot more than just listing features you'd like to see and the devs don't know just HOW to realize because the concepts aren't there yet and so have to comfort you with "Nice but a lot of work, low priority sorry"
I suggest that YOU stop your unqualified postings.

The current proposal with Salathes additions is, from the players community's point of view, very good.

This is a proposal board and not a discussion thread how things have to be implemented. Let the estimation about the needed effort, how things have to be implementet and the annotation of this proposal ("good", "bad", "rejected", "too expensive", etc.) the task of the developers.

PO Johnathan
Rosanna

So what your saying is..

Post by Rosanna »

So what your saying is Falconry would be a good craft?

We would need a Falconer's glove, and when the falcon has caught something, it could say: Your falcon has caught something! or something like that, Ive been thinking about a price, to rent one.... About 500 copperpeices? Do you think that would be good?

And the graphics.. Well, when you rent one, and when you look at what you have in your belt, and what your wearing, a little picture of a falcon could be on your right or left hand, When you right click on it and press 'use' depending how good you are at it, the falcon could come back with something, or it could just say: Your falcon failed to capture prey or something like that.....

What do you guys think? Good idea? Or bad?
Llama

Post by Llama »

*scratches head*

You mean the falcon goes off and 'fetches' you an item? Its a bit overpowered and not very roleplayish.

Sure if you want to roleplay having a falcon be our guest ;)
dellakim thornbrae

Post by dellakim thornbrae »

I think it would be a great idea if you could actually play a pet. Like if you could create a character that is a dog or a cat or even a donkey. A pet should not be able to pick up more than it can carry in its mouth and also should not be allowed to speak but can emote things like "dog begs for a sausage" i think it would be great fun :)
Llama

Post by Llama »

But not everybody is able to roleplay something like that.

I rememebr a person was turned into a wolf (or was it a panther?) once.. and one Cliu was turned into a rabbit once...

Its a nice 'present' from a GM...
dellakim thornbrae

Post by dellakim thornbrae »

Ooh so i could maybe beg to have a wolf character?! I am a dog trainer by trade and doing a course on canine psychology i could definatly play a wolf realistically if they would let me have one.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I got turned into a pig once. :D
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I've been a cow, a fairy and a lesser demon :P .
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I fail to see anything useful at "pets". And since everything that could fill out time the next years appears more importaint then "pets" I declare that proposal as rejected.

Nitram