fairy speed

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tanistian_Kanea

fairy speed

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

alright this kinda bugs me. why is it a wolf is able to catch up to me when i am a fairy with 27 agility. i should be able to practically outrun the wind itself let alone a mangy wolf. i'm asking for fairy speed to be improved or even character speed increased when the have really high agility. otherwise what is the point of the option even being there, i still move as fast as every other character, even if they have like 9 agility. does agility even do anything to movement speed right now?

edit: from attributes and their meaning.

You set 18 Points to ...

Agility:
You are the fastest runner ever encountered, able to outrun even some animals during your hunting days.
If the sky began falling on your head, you have a great chance to dodge even this.
Last edited by Tanistian_Kanea on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boindil

Post by Boindil »

Only to movement speed on certain tiles like mountain, forest etc.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

27 agility? :shock:
I thought it couldn't be more than 20 or so.

In any case:
- The agility improves a character's speed on tiles that usually slow the character (like mountains, forests, etc...)
- Due to the way the game works, the speed of characters cannot be faster than it is, unfortunately.
Tanistian_Kanea

fairy max speed is 28. i'm a fairy. as for keeping speed on tiles that normally slow characters down that would explain how i escaped, i ran on mountain tiles. the wolf couldn't keep up. but why then can he catch me on normal tiles, it just doesn't make sense.
Boindil

Post by Boindil »

On "normal" tiles all chars have the same speed!
The only way to get slower is to carry a hugh weight for your char. But there is no way to get faster with your 27 agility char.
That's the way live goes... :wink:

And you are not alone, a lot of PO's moaned about the movement speed quite a while ago.
Tanistian_Kanea

it still doesn't make sense that i move as fast on normal tiles with 3 agility or 27 agility. it just doesn't make sense. especially since wolfs can somehow move faster on normal tiles, why not make fairies move faster when they have high agility, or just do the same thing with normal tiles as with forest tiles so that 10 agility will have you move the speed you currently do. i mean what else does agility do?
pharse

Post by pharse »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:fairy max speed is 28. i'm a fairy. as for keeping speed on tiles that normally slow characters down that would explain how i escaped, i ran on mountain tiles. the wolf couldn't keep up. but why then can he catch me on normal tiles, it just doesn't make sense.
Same speed for all chars on normal tiles. But fairies aren't slowed down by tiles like mud or forest (as they fly over it), but the wolf is slowed down (as it has to walk over it). Therefore you can outrun it.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

pharse wrote:
Tanistian_Kanea wrote:fairy max speed is 28. i'm a fairy. as for keeping speed on tiles that normally slow characters down that would explain how i escaped, i ran on mountain tiles. the wolf couldn't keep up. but why then can he catch me on normal tiles, it just doesn't make sense.
Same speed for all chars on normal tiles. But fairies aren't slowed down by tiles like mud or forest (as they fly over it), but the wolf is slowed down (as it has to walk over it). Therefore you can outrun it.
Fairies are simply not affected by "muddy" and "rocky" tiles? Even if their agility is low?
Tanistian_Kanea

no because of high agility. i have tried your theory lifewonder, it's the high agility, make sense of that. a fairy should be able to fly above it either way but no...
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:no because of high agility. i have tried your theory lifewonder, it's the high agility, make sense of that. a fairy should be able to fly above it either way but no...
I thought fairies were quite small, and therefore a quick speed for them would be slow compared to the quick speed of a larger creature.
Tanistian_Kanea

fairies are as small as 10 inches but can be as taller then two feet (up to 36 inches i think) however fairies fly where as other characters walk. if you want to look at size take an average sparrow which is like 4 inches and travel way faster then even Olympic gold medal sprinters with ease. that is why fairies have high agility. a slow fairy would be normal human.
Borine

Post by Borine »

what do faeries even do ingame? All I ever see them do is fly around and get scared of humans...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The only thing that slows down your speed on the "high speed tiles" (street, grass, etc. ) is the lag of your internet connection. So if you want a higher speed you need a better connection.

Nitram
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:it still doesn't make sense that i move as fast on normal tiles with 3 agility or 27 agility. it just doesn't make sense. especially since wolfs can somehow move faster on normal tiles, why not make fairies move faster when they have high agility, or just do the same thing with normal tiles as with forest tiles so that 10 agility will have you move the speed you currently do. i mean what else does agility do?
I believe for one thing this would be very hard to script...one race being able to move faster then another on even road tiles ig. Logically if you do that, you may want to script another race to be on the average slower too, this kind of "inequality" in the game, even if could be scripted might lead to some not picking the "slower" race.

If you are asking for all NPC's especially wolves to be slower in order to allow you to run away, I think most of the time your char WOULD be able to run especially if you see them soon enough... possibly that would have to do with perception though I am not sure of it.

I would not like at all for some of my chars to be as slow on the road as in the forests though, IMO the walks already seem very long. :wink:, agility helps your char be able to run fast in the forest.... and actually the fairy's agility let him escape on the rocks.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Oh hello again.

I like the way you disappear for a few months, come back and propose something to improve fairies then disappear and repeat the process a lot.

Boo hoo if your fairy should be able to go faster. Everyone is the same on normal tiles and that's not going to change so just put up with it.
Tanistian_Kanea

and i love how your still the useless flamer you always where.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

"Fairies should go faster".
"We can't do that, normal tiles are set so everything's the same speed."
"Yeah well that's stupid".
"So? They're still set like that."
"Yeah well that's stupid".

etc. etc. etc.

That's pretty much what this thread's sounding like, and it's a joke. Stay away from wolves if it's such a big problem.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Would it be possible for fairies to fly over minimal bodies of water? 2 - 5 tile wide streams and rivers? This seems like a good escape method for something that can fly.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Gro'bul wrote:Would it be possible for fairies to fly over minimal bodies of water? 2 - 5 tile wide streams and rivers? This seems like a good escape method for something that can fly.
Answer:

No impossible, because then someone would have to manually set the co-ordinates. And then you'd have a lot of weird stuff. What if a fairy dies on water?
Tanistian_Kanea

body would float to shore or be eaten by a big fish
Llama

Post by Llama »

I was talking more about engine-wise.

You'd end up with items in the middle of the sea, with a ghost character as well. And I'm not sure ghost characters can walk back over the water if its for fairies only.
Tanistian_Kanea

well that you could just have "can't walk here" type clause thing and have them sent to closest land tile.
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

If lizards can't swim in water fairies can't fly over it.
The best thing you could hope for is make "swim/fly"able tiles which would take a HUGE map revamp... Lotsa work....

And ghosts are a single type, you'd have to make all ghosts able to cross water ~~ which I don't really see a big problem with, but whatever...
Tanistian_Kanea

nah, though good point with the ghosts thing. don't they just kinda "float" anyway
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

how about a sprint button for thoses that have a agility over 20 or something???

that way they can walk the normal speed like everyone else in times of peace but when the going gets tough they can disappear in the blink of an eye like a fairy should be able to
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

What part of "fast movement is not possible" did you fail to get?
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Nitram wrote:What part of "fast movement is not possible" did you fail to get?
Er, Nitram? You did not actually say that fast movement is not possible. You just said that a low connection speed can cause low movement speed.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hu'greu wrote:how about a sprint button for thoses that have a agility over 20 or something???

that way they can walk the normal speed like everyone else in times of peace but when the going gets tough they can disappear in the blink of an eye like a fairy should be able to
IMHO They should make erase a 1 tile wide line of water tiles in a circle around the gm castle so you can't get to it or even see it then turn clipping off for ghosts so they can fly through walls and over water and you can't ghost block people or monsters.
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

Nitram wrote:What part of "fast movement is not possible" did you fail to get?

Well I guess then you can turn down the other players speed and set up the fairies.

But the best and simpliest answer to this would to say #me flys away at a quick pace for the fairy and for the others to simply RP hes gone while he walks off the screen
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Dónal Mason wrote:Er, Nitram? You did not actually say that fast movement is not possible. You just said that a low connection speed can cause low movement speed.
Then I say it now. It doesn't work faster.