Just throwing this out there

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:HA! You guys are crazy.. One day you're screaming that you had enough conflict that you're bored of the temple always shking up things and the next day you're moarning that nothing is going on and you're bored. Will you make up your mind already?
Sorry but that's really senseless :\

Firstly: You obviously can't generalize and address everyone. Not -everyone- moaned and complained, and besides, there are newer players now. You can't really blame -them- for moaning, since they weren't even here.

Secondly: It's not really 'the next day', it's tiiiimee after. Those players that were complaining I guess enjoyed the peaceful time there was (if any). It may not even be them who are complaining that it's too peaceful now, it may be other players. So you can't really tell them to make up their mind, because it's different people.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

In other words, Avalyon, the people want you to shake things up a bit, but so that they definitely win in the end. Evil guys winning is wroooong!
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Konrad Knox wrote:In other words, Avalyon, the people want you to shake things up a bit, but so that they definitely win in the end. Evil guys winning is wroooong!
Having two "good" chars, one not so good, others unspecified, I am not so sure "evil" winning wouldn't be fun sometimes in the game. *shrugs*
Gwendolin Cad'ell

Post by Gwendolin Cad'ell »

In other words, Avalyon, the people want you to shake things up a bit, but so that they definitely win in the end. Evil guys winning is wroooong!

You know, that isn't even that wrong.

I mean to be completely honest about this: I want for my characters to have a happy ending. (Even for all the baddies I have played so far.) That's basically what I strive for when I play. Sometimes it's fun to kick down your own characters a tad or two because tradegy and drama is generally a nice thing to rp, but I've experienced that in the end I hope that my character will have a happy end. Maybe because most of us want a happy end in real life too.

Anyway, my point is,...

It depends on the evil you are facing how long you can endure it. If you make a huge, sudden impact on people like the temple did, then a huge, 'good' wave will come back at you in attempt to destroy you. If every day you and your comrades go out to do bad things to others, then you can't expect that people ignore you and just let you do your way. I think what you need is basically the right amount of evil in the right time for players to swallow it and to go along with it over a long time.
Which is obviously a lot easier said than done.
For players like ABC over there or me periods of evil are great because, like I said, playing tradegy is awesome. But if it is constant and forcing, then after a while you simply wish for having a peaceful time again where you can just sit at the campfire and 'rest', instead of constantly being in fear of getting clouded etc.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Why cant you just stop arguing here, but concentrate on doing new quests then? Honestly. I may be a newbie, and I just wait for someone to call me like this AGAIN, (*g*) but still I have to say this.
I am playing five chars - what is definitely too much - and I am involved in gripping rp with all of them. May it be in a tribe of Raheris, in a quiet forest or in a Knighthood. I enjoy all of it.
Drama is great by the way, sometimes, but yes, everyone wants his chars to have a happy ending. Not only the players themselves, but also other rpers who started to really like the char because they rped with it for a while now. I tried to kill chars for three times now. And everytime someone rushes in and says: Please, don't do this. And I did not so far. Though I certainly will someday, because five chars are too many for me. ;)
AND: there is at least one quest going on at the mo that will shake the isle up a bit. It will take some time to really do this, but we will manage to do it, I am sure. This will be epic, if the "good" chars help us by playing alongside instead of wining.
And, as for the Watchers, I liked the idea. Perhaps it would have been wiser first to gather at least five POs and THEN to start a quest with a group of assassins? That would have made it successful. Because it was mysterious enough, someone showing up from total nowhere and so on... *shrug*
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Do not confuse good-fight-back with heavy forum bitching. While with the first I am tottaly ok with and I enjoy playing, the latter ended the temple again and again.
Playing an evil char (not the "OMG I iz kill u!!" type) is very very difficult and totaly not worth the time and nerves since you'll only end up being sweard at.
The idea of conflict that most of you have, is that whatever happenes, you have the security that your char is safe. When something threatens this safety, you try ending it at all costs. That is why the idea of "good always wins" is so deeply rooted insted of letting win whoever plays his cards better.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I remember a quest which I had LOVED was the executor quest. It was done by a player as far as I know (never found out the conclusion).

Basically these person turn up dead with a number on them, and he wanted 13. What was great about it is that he only had one character at a time, so he used to get this character saying he saw him; send someone to look in the library for him, they pop out again and he's lying on the floor in a puddle of blood.

Was scary, and very fun.

Why can't we have nice things like that any more?
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter
Location: Go for more communication between Players and Staff

Post by Greisling »

Illarion currently has too many players who are not able to play continously as part of a story plot for more than 1 day or so.

Furthermore, Illarion has a too high number of players. Consequenlty, isle wide quest are not able to do any more.

Third, Illa has become hack and slay. Mages are casting whenever they want, chars get knocked out/clouded just to prove that others are stronger. Illa seems to be more about getting skills than about RP. The problem is, that PG needs SO much time that little time is left for proper RP.

@ Avalyon: ABC is perfectly right with his posting above concerning your 'moaning' about inconstant community.
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

I don't think it's fair to say Illa is all about "hack and slay" now. It's been IG years since the last time any of my chars got in a fight (besides the occasional wolf they accidentally ran into). Funny enough the last time was when my elfess fell victim to Avalyon.... ne. ^_~

And to say that one needs to power game to play Illa is approaching the game in the entirely wrong way... isn't there a thread active right now saying how Illa is one of the only real role playing games out there?
EDIT: Don't even bring the mage system into this. We all know mages power game. That's been made a fact of life by the system. Get over it. (Or think of a better system. Soon. Please. Like yesterday...)

Also, why would more players keep quests from spreading isle-wide? I would think more people would mean bigger quest opportunities... (Side Note: GMs doing forced RP? Never experienced it. Despite having been tossed into wars, invasions, training practices, and demonic rituals there's always been the option to quit and walk away...fastly.)

But meh, whatever. Just thought I'd put my vote with the "I like quests" mob.... they make things interesting... and I don't use IMs so I don't fall victim to anyone's complaining but my own. XD
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I had a nice idea for a "different" quest. If you are interested/bored enough, bug estralis into put it to action. :wink:
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

see, now look at this, yesterday when i started this out, i was the only one for the idea, and now look, we have post after post about needing more and larger quests. Maybe some people should have waited to see what the people wanted before going and making a decision...
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Greisling wrote:Illarion currently has too many players who are not able to play continously as part of a story plot for more than 1 day or so.
Word! The Post-Siltaris/Caelum war storyline and also the recent Kallahorn crisis were suddenly shut down, before it could work out ingame.
But it is also a problem of timing: RP inside the forums is fast, while IG the event maybe does not get noticed yet. On the other hand there were some plotlines with not much progress for weeks and then they fade out.
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter

Post by Greisling »

Imho the posting of bdgdkay proves that it is not worth to put efforts into another large quest.
Why? If you are one of those who don't see the reason why, well then I'm afraid you are the reason.
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

Love those generalizations Greisling. :roll:
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter

Post by Greisling »

Speaking about playerbase naturally is speaking generally.
Joxia Doral

interst

Post by Joxia Doral »

This is an RP game right? things will happen and if your character happens to be in that place at that time then they have to deal with it. Or if they -really- dont want to be involved they can RP some kind of indifernce to the situation.My point is...If you want some excitement it can be found, if you feel forced into something then force your way out.
Also, the good doesnt always have to win...im kind of in something that im pretty sure the evil side will come out on top.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Re: interst

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Joxia Doral wrote:Also, the good doesnt always have to win...im kind of in something that im pretty sure the evil side will come out on top.
ha, good luck with that.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Konrad Knox wrote:Naerwyn's Knights of Dawn quest ROCKED!
It was a big freaking quest 5 weeks long, and we loved it! Even brought tears to a few eyes.
I agree with the tears, as there are quest whores who will try to get into it at all cost,
people like you Konrad. Your character wanted to become a Bragon knight, giving the huge speech about a fire burning in him, compassion, spark of honor what not, then a second later throws that over completely as he realizes the Bragon spot is already taken. Let's try Tanora then, "I can be calm and smooth just like water..." and whatnot, that was the point when my character, who was a bystander to the quest at that point, turned around and stepped away, thinking "oh boy, if he has to..." same as me,
as it is my personal creed not to roleplay FOR somebody but WITH them.
And if people only fight for the limelight all the time, they may, but I won't
be the cameo for them then.

In the end your character ended up with Findari, wind godess and the only part most of people saw about your quest was your group of five showing off their weapons and superpowers in Trollsbane.

Another player even got scolded (ooc, mind you) by a player of one knight (Athian) for spilling some information about the quest (information obtained in-game) because he "is no part of the quest" and as the information transmitted somewhat changed the course of the quest for your characters aswell, there was a lot of bitching going on ooc as the knight of dawn didnt get the things the way he thought they should go.

The quest in itself was awesome, well thought out and truly had potential, however the protagonists somewhat kept to themselves and didn't realy tune other people in on the quest or wanted them to participate.

----------------------------------

This is no rant about how GMs handle their quests wrong, it is more a rant about how some players handle them.

Especially bashing other players on IM-programs for their roleplay has become a fashion of late among some people (Julius for example).

I got a nice "YOU SM-ILEHEAD WON'T TAKE KALLAHORN AWAY FROM ME" and many more on Msn once he changed his mind about quitting, some hours after he announced Julius left the guild and island.

So I basically got insulted for trying to pick up the strings others have dropped as to continue roleplay. For those people interrested they can read it in the apropriate thread (Kallahorn / Guild board) it's all there.

Julius departure, Faladron trying to save what is left, Julius sudden return;
all because one player didn't get it the way he wanted things to go.

-----------------------

Enough reports from me for a day, I hope.

PO Faladron
head-out-the-arse player
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Faladron wrote: Enough reports from me for a day, I hope.

PO Faladron
head-out-the-arse player
No need to rant, report or whatever, this spoils quests entirely just building up animosity and complaints in the forum. We all need to sometimes just "suck it up" and enjoy the game, or at least let others enjoy it and if a legitimate complaint, handle it privately with a GM. :wink:
Athian

Post by Athian »

To adress a few points made here

@ Faladron

The knights of the dawn quest was just fine. However there were some ooc factors that were inhibiting the quest. Simple fact that you as a player and a character did not know about. Therefore I'm not going to argue any point with you on my own behalf, i will merely say that you shouldn't mention names when you don't know the entire situation. And if you have a compliant go ahead and make one

Keep in mind that alot of parts of quests take careful guiding to get them movng along the right course, however alot of head up there ass players simply want these quests to mutate for them whenever they want them to. Keep in mind that when you enter an offical quest you are a character in another persons story, it is a previlage and by no means a right, and if that person (GM) decides he or she wants( or does not want) certain players involved, those players become openly troublesome to the quest or the players are to busily awaiting guidance (which they likely ignore if it doesn't suit them) while at the same time making no effort to help make the quest better. Then simply they will be removed

this happened once in the knights of the dawn quest when the first group of knights were too inactive. The GM therefore picked players that would be active.

This is basically the case with the 'the hatching' quest, where some players have been inactive and others seem pointedly unwilling to accept any guidance. Therefore the GM in charge can't easily continue the quest.

Again i state simply that if you are in a quest not of your making it is not yours to change. IF you do not like it then tough luck, someone else can and will be found

As to the lack of quests. I agree entirely with the staff, to much bitching. A few weeks back a minor altercation took place in the shop (the details are not important) where three monsters appeared before players who were 'dueling'i in the shop. Other players whom 'were not involved' also complained that it was unfair that they got caught in the path of this little bit of action. But they fail to keep in mind that there are no 'uninvolved' players in the game. your playing in an enviroment where things of such a nature can and do happen, just because you choose to disassociate yourself with the situation in front of you doesn't mean you will go unscathed. If a mad man opened fire in a crowd of people you most certainly couldn't disassociate yourself from the bullets. why expect anything different?

The immediate response to monsters that these players could not easily defeat was ooc bitching and !gm calls demanding there items be returned. It proved wholey that any large scale quest it simply not possible unless you pointedly ignore all the griping from the player base, which i don't think anyone really wants. To do a large scale quest with such players is a completely unattractive idea, and until the player base as a whole improve on there general behaviors large quests will not be worth doing
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Both replies didn't even scratch the things I was saying.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

It proved wholey that any large scale quest it simply not possible unless you pointedly ignore all the griping from the player base, which i don't think anyone really wants
Im for ignoring it
Athian

Post by Athian »

Faladron wrote:Both replies didn't even scratch the things I was saying.
Thats a pity.

Let me try again.

Regardless of what you say, how an offical quest proceeds really has nothing to do with your opinion. You may not like it but you have to deal with it. Cry and complain all you want and that fact will still not change, for those whom cannot handle it, stay out of the way and keep your mouths shut.
If a GM's decides to make a quest where a single player character gain the ability to shoot lightning out of his arse four times a week for a dwarven month thats there right as the creator of the quest, complaining will not change that fact.

As to the second point which i did not adress I know well of that syndrome of yours. PO julis is notorious for his ooc actions being that they are both poorly disguised and poorly planned out. There seem to be a small collection of IP's (since the characters intermingle) that support eachothers self made mischief and hostility towards other players for ooc reasons. The Kallahorn 'incidents' as i'll call them now are among the worst examples of shameless ooc behavior. But such things are hardly ever dealt with properly.

I wouldn't call those quest realted however. just the antics of that section of the player base that doesn't seem to understand that there are more people in the world of illarion then themselves
Last edited by Athian on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorvald

Post by Thorvald »

Salathe wrote:
It proved wholey that any large scale quest it simply not possible unless you pointedly ignore all the griping from the player base, which i don't think anyone really wants
Im for ignoring it[/code]
That is easier said than done. :?
As a RP GM your job is basically to entertain the players and it is something you really enjoy doing as well. It's just really frustrating if players complain/bitch about the quest you have put your whole heart into creating and realizing. Even if it is just a few of the participants. In the end you are asking yourself: "Why am I doing this again?"
Nerian Finera

Post by Nerian Finera »

If a mad man opened fire in a crowd of people you most certainly couldn't disassociate yourself from the bullets. why expect anything different?
There's one simple answer to this question: I am living in front of the computer, controlling what my character's doing by hitting certain keys on the keyboard. Between Illarion and real life, there is a big difference. Illarion is kind of an ideal world that allows the players to be whoever they want. A partially planned plot is an essential component of roleplaying. We are telling stories and sometimes they may take an unexpected turn, which is when another character interacts with ours. But still the player decides what may happen to their character.
Last edited by Nerian Finera on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Nerian Finera wrote:
If a mad man opened fire in a crowd of people you most certainly couldn't disassociate yourself from the bullets. why expect anything different?
There's one simple answer to this question: I am living in front of the computer, controlling what my character's doing by hitting certain keys on the keyboard. Between Illarion and real life, there is a big difference. Illarion is kind of an ideal world that allows the players to be whoever they want. A partially planned plot is an essential component of roleplaying. We are telling stories and sometimes they may take an unexpected turn, which is when another character interacts with ours. But still the player decides what may happen to his character.
I hate to break that too you, but that fact only holds true to things that happen player to player. When it comes to GM/quest related issues there may be times when we have zero control. We may control our characters but we do not control 'the world' in which our characters live.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Regardless of what you say, how an offical quest proceeds really has nothing to do with your opinion. You may not like it but you have to deal with it. Cry and complain all you want and that fact will still not change, for those whom cannot handle it, stay out of the way and keep your mouths shut.
If a GM's decides to make a quest where a single player character gain the ability to shoot lightning out of his arse four times a week for a dwarven month thats there right as the creator of the quest, complaining will not change that fact.
Your crying about the spilled information didn't make a difference other than invoking hard feelings in the player you pestered on msn with.

Again I didn't whine about the quest, I adressed the behaviour and attitude of people who start to play dirty once they don't get things their way.

As such, your posts are a bright and shining example (hopefully) for others to rethink their behaviour.
Nerian Finera

Post by Nerian Finera »

Athian wrote:
Nerian Finera wrote:
There's one simple answer to this question: I am living in front of the computer, controlling what my character's doing by hitting certain keys on the keyboard. Between Illarion and real life, there is a big difference. Illarion is kind of an ideal world that allows the players to be whoever they want. A partially planned plot is an essential component of roleplaying. We are telling stories and sometimes they may take an unexpected turn, which is when another character interacts with ours. But still the player decides what may happen to his character.
I hate to break that too you, but that fact only holds true to things that happen player to player. When it comes to GM/quest related issues there may be times when we have zero control. We may control our characters but we do not control 'the world' in which our characters live.
For one's game experience it is quite the same, whether they are controlling the world around them or just deciding what happenings may affect their character.
Athian

Post by Athian »

sorry that was a royal 'you' meaning everyone.

And i contacted a player certainly but I do not recall being rude in the least of ways, if i was then i can apologize at some later date, however as i said if you don't know the whole of the matter then there is little to discuss with you.

Unlike you i'm not on a rant to make personal insults towards people or point fingers at indivduals. I couldn't care less about that in fact. so you go on ahead and have you fun Faladron :wink:

and to add

@Nerian Finera

I can agree with that statement. But we have to keep in mind that there are technical aspects of the game as well. In the case of physical harm through monsters or players you generally only have the choice of walking away or staying, and those may not always work out in your favor. and of course the staff usually has final say in such things (may or may not ressurect a character you've killed off is a prime example)

When it comes to RP matters though players have as much right to what effects or doesn't effect there characters.
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

im still hoping a certain egg related quest will kick in again i was looking verry forward to the continuation of it to find out what will happen... i cant help that when it started i had to leave my house.. i am on here as much as possible as i do crave the RP.. i even avoided treasure hunting for a long while so i could rp in a peaceful manner.. im not saying i want the egg to hatch all pooof tada!! would be nice if it made noises once in a while.. i fun fun talking with an egg..... my character has three souls.. one of wich is more of a follower the other is a leader lately the other has been doing far more than i originally intended.. so i guess it's still a good thing.. i like a little ction once i a while but i must admit all those mummie raide got boring...