translator

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Olive

translator

Post by Olive »

i noticed that the website is divided into english and german versions, why couldn't somethign similar be done onthe forums

now whati mean is that all text either appers in english or german based uponthe players preference, so if a person is typing in english and a german person is reading they see a german translation instead.

the reason i'm askign abouthis is that since i only can read english, about half the forum topics i cant even bother iwth since well, i cant read them...(weird huh?)

i DO understand thatthis WOULD in fact be VERY hard to implement, bascially havign to write in a program that converts languages back and forthas well as time consuming

but maybethere is a eaier way like just bgin able to mark a box to request a translationof a post where anybody could then trasnlate the requested information
Gregory Hardcast

Post by Gregory Hardcast »

I dont believe such a translator exists.

If it did, noone would ever learn a different language ever again :s
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http% ... l=de&tl=en

As always, google is your friend. Boomark that URL and you get the whole board translated. Might sound wierd here and there but that's german ;-).
Olive

Post by Olive »

actually i refuse to use google outof moral principle, which i would prefer to not go into right now as its a bit more involved than a simple sentance to reply
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Such translations are difficult.

Eigther there has to be a few persons who translate every post into the second language. That would result in pretty good translations but requires a man power we simply can't offer.

Automatic translations are in general not pretty good. It places wrong words or computes the order of the words wrong. And it does this in a way that the texts are close to unreadable at times.
Furthermore automatic translations require a lot of disk space ( for the word lists, grammatical structures ) and a lot of CPU power to generate the translations. Do we really want the server to lag every time one opens are board page?

Nitram
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Olive wrote:actually i refuse to use google outof moral principle
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... Fforums%2F

Better?
Olive

Post by Olive »

well if you read the second part of my suggestion i ask if it would be possible for peopel to request translatiosn and then player would provide translations on theri own time so nobody HAS to, but pepel COULD if they were feeling up to it.

as for manually tranlating forum threads..the harder you make something to do, they fewer that will go and do it..

nothing personal, but i am not going to spend 5-10 minutes getting a post translated just to find out its a plot thread i am not interested in due to geogrpahic location, or a topic i do not relly have anythign to contribute
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Olive wrote:nothing personal, but i am not going to spend 5-10 minutes getting a post translated just to find out its a plot thread i am not interested in due to geogrpahic location, or a topic i do not relly have anythign to contribute

...but ask for another player to spend even more time translating a page we may not be interested in anyway? IMO certain parts of the forum should have an automatic translation however, the proposal section if the idea appears like a possibility to the dev's. This could be the forum denoting the merge of English and German in the game and show a cooperative effort from all. When someone who knows only English uses one of the links posted to make an attempt to post also in german, and the same with the german side that would be helpful.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

the problem with translating a whole thread or something like this is to gather the usefull informations and translate them how they are meant to be, I once did the work to translate several posts for english player and after that the topic more or less died because noone had to say something about it anymore, so this and the fact thats inredible time consuming those who make themself this work and later one see that noone was interrested in it well..better could have spent that hour more usefull then.
steckenthis

Post by steckenthis »

Estralis Seborian wrote:http://www.google.com/translate?u=http% ... l=de&tl=en

As always, google is your friend. Boomark that URL and you get the whole board translated. Might sound wierd here and there but that's german ;-).
Gibt es eine solche seite auch für die direkte übersetzung vom englischen ins deutsche? ich wäre doch sehr dankbar....
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »