Poll: Who wants to change name of Molotovs?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Would you like to change "Molotov Cocktail" to something else?

Yes, call it "Gynkenese Fire"
46%
Yes, Call it "Gynk Fire"
22%
Yes but I will post a name
2%
No, I like the name "Molotov Cocktail"
30%

Total votes: 104

darxzero
Location: Investigating the darkest recesses of human nature...

Post by darxzero »

I still think changing the name is a bit pointless, as well as the shirt-> tunic idea. If you make everything medieval, you would have to make potions more likely to poison you than heal you, for example.
Llama

Post by Llama »

darxzero wrote:you would have to make potions more likely to poison you than heal you, for example.
As far as I know, that's a 'coming soon' feature, where if you drink a potion of X, you gain some X and lose some Y.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

darxzero wrote:I still think changing the name is a bit pointless, as well as the shirt-> tunic idea..
The shirt to tunic "idea" was a protest and more likely sarcasms, instead of a real proposal.
darxzero wrote: If you make everything medieval, you would have to make potions more likely to poison you than heal you, for example.
I think some Dev leaked allready that the new potionssystem won't be as the old, means every potion also has its drawbacks.
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter
Location: Go for more communication between Players and Staff

Post by Greisling »

After about 100 hours of running, here are the results of the poll:

2/3 of the votes state they are not happy with the current name "Molotov Cocktail".

1/3 wants to keep the name.

:arrow: In common democracies this result would be enough for change, even for huge changes. :)
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire -- *blinks* Gee, sounds like they did have explosive liquids or something like it. Hehe, that makes Gynk fire perfect.

Oh, and just to let you guys know, although I seem against the whole thing, I do like the name picked to change it to. ;) I was just trying to make a point that many ideals and things from our time make their way ig so it isn't worth making a huge deal about. I wish your poll had a "I don't care" option, because that would have been the one I truely would have picked. Because in all honesty, the name choosen to rename it too was fine, it was people getting pissy about how it /had/ to be changed that bothered me. But hey, why does my opinion care. Everyone missed my points anyway.
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter

Post by Greisling »

I think you are right, Dantagon, the poll indeed flawed in the choices/options given.

However, the result seems to be clear: Most of the people who have voted want a change of the name.

I would like to see an official comment of the staff concerning this issue, if possible. :)
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

According to our "background master" Damien, "gynkese fire" (engl.; not "gynkenese") or "gynkesisches Feuer" (dt.) would work perfectly.
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

Its not Dragon Semen..but it works. :?
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter

Post by Greisling »

Don't want to annoy anyone of the staff...

...but a statement would be fantastico :)
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

In medival times they didn't use modern english, and I assume german has changed at least a little bit in the past few hundred years. Perhaps we shouldn't be allowed to use modern english/german and use the medival versions instead.
Llama

Post by Llama »

nmaguire wrote:In medival times they didn't use modern english, and I assume german has changed at least a little bit in the past few hundred years. Perhaps we shouldn't be allowed to use modern english/german and use the medival versions instead.
Fallacy of Converse Accident ^
Dantagon Marescot

Good luck with old English then. I know that I ain't going to bother trying to decifer Chauser in old English, so there is no way I am going to start speaking and typing it.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

I guess this is a statement:
Nitram wrote:Und wenn dieses zweckfreie OOC rumgejammer noch weiter geht, dann werde ich mich mit Lennier beraten müssen wieviel Molotov Cocktails man braucht um Briar zu sprengen.
:roll:
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter

Post by Greisling »

Miklorius wrote:I guess this is a statement [...]
It would be a slap into the face of democracy, an official denial of the approach of a player based community, a proof for ignorance of good arguments, and a sad example for the lack of the staff to reason the staff's decisions, but to act in dispose.

This issue was and still is a very simple opportunity to show that the players are more than numbers on the ingame-counter. It is an opportunity to make the first step to forming a community.
Community just works with communication - don't forget that please.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

It would be a slap into the face of democracy
harder then Putins slaps?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

102 votes.

Made by 84 different ips.
And 8 of that different ips are in a that close range that the persons who voted have to live in the same street. :roll:

Look what this means for your vote in the worst case.

Thats the reasons desicions you try to enforce with random polls are generally ignored.

Nitram
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

And if you strike all of those votes from the yes catagory, it is still winning.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

102 - 84 = 18
48 - 18 = 30

I think you made a small calculating misstake ^^
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

30+22 = 52 :P

Those are "Yes" as well
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

>.> I just took the 8 votes... I forgot about the first part. My bad...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Azuros wrote:30+22 = 52 :P

Those are "Yes" as well
And we have the remaining 200 ones who did not vote and don't give a shit about this. The only reasonable ones in my opinion who do not waste their time with that... what ever.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Hax
Dantagon Marescot

And by that logic, is probably how Bush became president.

(Oh, and since the polls are screwed, my vote was a very loud, I don't give a ****!)
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:And by that logic, is probably how Bush became president.
Actually, you are quite correct.

If the Democratic party continues to tear itself apart, then McCain aka "Bush Jr." will continue what Bush has started. Most voters here don't even realize what is happening.

@Nitram
Let's forget about cocktails, the vote made it's point and that's that. I'd like to mention a general trend I have noticed. This thread brings it up yet again, and I gotta say my piece. Don't take it personally.

Sometimes when there is leadership telling the people (Players) that they don't matter, they begin to believe they don't. We have heard this line time and time again, and I'm surprised that 84 out of 284 (If your numbers are correct) which is almost 33% of the people actually cared enough to vote!

33% of 'eligible' people is far better than any election I can remember here in America! Why do people in authority have to dismiss this so easily, without offering any alternative? Without communicating alternative to the players? Instead we get a sort of "Shadow Government" for the game that does things behind the scenes, when they want and how they want.

Nitram, if you'd just 'lead', most players would follow you. Whether you like it or not, you are considered an 'authority'. You do so much for the game, I couldn't imagine much getting done without you. Without leadership, communication, and concern for players, it continues the never-ending cycle of mistrust, apathy and even resentment toward staff. I know this isn't fun for you guys, and it isn't for the players too. I see the same old "flame, reaction, re-flame, reaction = little gets done......Is this the 'community' you really want for Illarion?

As few 'players' as Illa has, compared to almost all other games, we should be working together, not tearing each other apart. We all care about this game, and want it to be the best. That's why it was started, and I believe, given time, it can become so. It has several features I have never seen in other games such as 'Building', free cost, and 'concern' about RP. Personally the Crafting system has me hooked forever by itself.

In a world of mass-market 'Endless Money-sink' Games such as WOW, FFXI, etc. Illarion offers a wonderful alternative. It offers a home for those tired of "off the shelf" million player, games, in which players really don't matter. As a 'community' or even a 'family' of players and staff, Can't we all just "Get along"?

Now, I've preached long enough. Please close this thread, the poll was taken, the results are there. The 'action' to take lies with the staff, as it always has. :D
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Juniper Onyx wrote:McCain aka "Bush Jr."
Better say "Bush Jr. Jr." :wink:
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

The people who do not vote, have no opinion to the topic (their fault) - at least that's the way democracy works today. And even without votes from different accounts but same persons, the "pro name change" fraction wins. So there is no argument against renaming "Molotov Cocktail" into "Gynkese Fire" - besides stubbornness...
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Juniper Onyx wrote:Without leadership, communication, and concern for players, it continues the never-ending cycle of mistrust, apathy and even resentment toward staff.
The claim that we you he she it the players actually have that much importance in these matters breeds the mistrust apathy and resentment in the first place.

If you people would stop thinking you are there to tell them what and how to do things, and thus don't even get to the point where you complain if things do not go your own way, this vicious cycle wouldn't be there in the first place.

Try to tell B-lizard how to do the next WoW expansion and then start to flame the way you do if it is not taken into consideration.
All you will get is a nice "You have been banished." from the forums and nothing more.

Just because there are less people here doesn't mean they have to care for each and everyones opinion, you get nothing done if you try to straighten out 84~ different points of view, it works far better in smaller teams up to 8 people (rough number there).

If you don't like decisions that have been made in such groups, leave.
If you only complain because you felt left out and just wanted to decide because you think it's cool to do so, leave aswell.

The tip of the hill is smaller than its base, so you can't have all the people there, there have to be people following too, if everyone wants to lead and decide nothing gets done.
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Changed it to Gynkenese Fire / Gynkenesisches Feuer. Just a small step for me, but a great leap for most of us :D
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter

Post by Greisling »

#me bows respectfully in front of the staff for this decision.

Thanks a lot for this "small step" :D
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Gynkese fire and gynkesisches Feuer - now I can sleep again :D. Thank you very much!