Rename Molotov cocktails

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Konrad Knox

Rename Molotov cocktails

Post by Konrad Knox »

Guys, something more fitting like, i dunno "Explosive bottle" or "Fire potion" might be better and less disturbing for RP.
I mean I have two people ask me who Molotov is, and I had to give them a crash course of Russian history unable to find an IC explanation.

Not too fitting.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I know it can be disturbing, but why do you or your char would care, i mean do you know why a roof is called a roof, a wall is called a wall?
Maybe an explosiv potion was invented by a gnom named molotov or its production was once found in the small goblin village named molotivia and it somehow got its way to molotov or you simply don't know *shrug* get your way around it or call it just explosiv white potion whatever.
Harald Hradradr

Post by Harald Hradradr »

Molotov Cocktail? Exloding fire?

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!! Gynkesian Fire, is what he means. :lol: At least my Char calls it as such.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Pellandria, only you would post something like that.
Why dont we name a fire sword - a laser sword and just ignore and pretend there is a magic spell called laser beam? And just get around it?

You click it, and it gives you a modern name, that you heard in media otherwise, it's just not proper.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Unlike you I don't need to ride all day on my engine horse, deal with it, don't know it or get a way around, whats your problem ohh geeez we are using a modern name, big deal, how far back you want to go, I imagen items names like "blue liquied that tastes like nothing , but can taste great if mixed with herbs bottle" gotta love that.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

"Explosion potion" would do
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Gynkesian Fire
I like this one!
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Confirmed!! Thank you! Please! Change it to that!
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

LMFAO Konrad.... hehe laser beam sword :shock:
I Wanna rp a Jedi gah dammit! :twisted:
Amras Telemnar

Post by Amras Telemnar »

Estralis Seborian wrote:
Gynkesian Fire
I like this one!

signed
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Yeah, like I wrote here, it really should be renamed! "Molotov" and "Cocktail" are unknown words in Illarion.

I was thinking on "fire bomb" or such, but also searching for an Illarion version of greek fire. Therefore I like "Gynkesian fire" (or shorter only "Gynk fire")! Makes sense with all the swamps there...

German then "gynkesisches Feuer" oder "Gynkfeuer"/"Gynk-Feuer".
Last edited by Miklorius on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

When I first started to play Illa, I thought the molotov was a little too modern for medieval times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail

But since a medieval fantasy and no teleporters etc. either, IMO the molotov is a fitting description however. I think it would be easy to google it anyone had a question.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Miklorius wrote:"Molotov" and "Cocktail" are unknown words in Illarion.
I'm really interrested to know, where exactly you gain this knowledge, in Illarion, everything "known" should be more or less decided by the staff, not by a player, who said any fantasy world would use words like Swords, Staffs..fire eqrth and so on the same we would use it?

Sorry for topichijacking but this really interrests me, seems like everyone decides on gynkeshes fire anyway.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Molotov is the inventor's name, so not possible in Illarion.
Cocktail is IMO also a quite modern word (19xx).

We do not use old english or real medievil words/languages in Illarion, but I think we should avoid words and terms which are too modern.
Last edited by Miklorius on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Pellandria wrote:Sorry for topichijacking.
Just make an own topic in general then. This sounds like a topic for a real discussion. (seriously, no harm inside this post!)
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Miklorius wrote:Molotov is the inventor's name, so not possible in Illarion.
Wrong.

That comes from the name of the Foreign minister of the Soviet Union, Vyacheslav Molotov (I'm guessing you might be familiar with the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, he's the same Molotov).

He didn't invent them, they were just mockingly named after him.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Are we talking about the great gnome inventor Fitzgerald Nimblefigg Wegrinegand Molotov who invented the Molotov Cocktails? ;-)

The name does it suppose. Everyone knows what is meant.

Or shall be rename our swords to metal slashing weapon, because sword was only take because its named RL this way?
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

You are nitpicking... :roll:
The term "Molotov-Cocktail" is loaded with modern times' meanings. There is no comparison with "sword" - and a more medieval/fantasy-like name would be great!
Beldir

Post by Beldir »

Amras Telemnar wrote:
Estralis Seborian wrote:
Gynkesian Fire
I like this one!

signed
Some players already call it like this. I think it would be far better than Molotow Coctail.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I think the key point in this whole discussion is..

Molotov sounds cooler AND catchier, and even if you changed it to Gynk Fire I'm sure a load of people would still call them molotovs, for that is what they are.

>_>
Beldir

Post by Beldir »

Then call it white bottle. And everyone's happy.. :roll:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Nitram wrote:Are we talking about the great gnome inventor Fitzgerald Nimblefigg Wegrinegand Molotov who invented the Molotov Cocktails?
So I can go around IG and say things about computers, because they are objects which were invented by Modernus Nameus Computer the gnome. I can also use the word "laser" since it was invented by the the gnome's sister-in law Alsous Modernus Nameus Laser.

Seriously, a modern invention is a modern invention. If you still 'need' to use it, then at least don't call it that way.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

There you are wrong, we don't have those items in the game, so they don't exist.
Last edited by Pellandria on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Beldir wrote:Then call it white bottle. And everyone's happy.. :roll:
Except me. And the people who have to change the name.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Nitram wrote:Are we talking about the great gnome inventor Fitzgerald Nimblefigg Wegrinegand Molotov who invented the Molotov Cocktails?
So I can go around IG and say things about computers, because they are objects which were invented by Modernus Nameus Computer the gnome. I can also use the word "laser" since it was invented by the the gnome's sister-in law Alsous Modernus Nameus Laser.

Seriously, a modern invention is a modern invention. If you still 'need' to use it, then at least don't call it that way.

Ummm sorry but I really do not think computer and laser are anything like Molotov... Have you actually heard of someone with the last name or any name for that matter, Conrad Computer or Lisa Laser? Come on... at least Molotov sounds somewhat rpish.... as for a cocktail... that might be a completely different story.... I could care less what the name of this white bottle is called but hey I have no problem calling it Firewhiskey, Bottle of Blazing Fun, Explosion in a Bottle, Glassbomb, Gynkesian Fire, Blazing Jug of Exploding Proportions, Martha's Flagon, Blast yer Ass in a Bottle, Bottle of Exploding Incinerated Fairies, RPG in a bottle, MOAB, Fools Beer, Gnomish Eggnog, Rumpelstiltskin's pwnage flask, Two Girls and a Cup, The Magical Bottle of Destruction That if Thrown 5 Times Consecutively By a Gnome You Get to Visit the Nearest Cross, Lava Burst, Flamethrower Bottle, The Incinerator, Widow-maker, or any other combination of fire, exploding, incinerating, etc. with a noun.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

HolyKnight wrote: Blast yer Ass in a Bottle
Rename it to THAT!
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

We could rename it to cow milk and make it drinkable but not explodeable... :roll:
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

Two Girls and a Cup
. . .
*dies seriously hard now*
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

I prefer re-naming it to "Mega Healing Potion"
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Pellandria wrote:There you are wrong, we don't have those items in the game, so they don't exist.
I take that as an affront to everything Roleplay stands for.

Could you hear the #me comand too? It just weeped.