Favorism of Gms and other Fun

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Adano Eles wrote:
Callith wrote:I think we can all be glad you are not on the staff any more.
You talking about me?
.. She means Damien, who else?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Is there a particular reason, why in a thread complaining that [english speakers complain about gm-favourism and being treated unfairly], umm... half of it is in german?
No its about gm favourism in general. Pellandria is no english one, you know? And she complains :O

Anyway: Its easier to write german for a german one instead of translating it to english first. And since some of that posts were directed directly to Pellandria, they served its purpose. The arguments that were meant serious can be reread in my posts. It took me quite long to create that post ;-)
Damien

Post by Damien »

...And here, a short summary-ish translation ( which i can fully confirm from what i had to witness from "back in the times where i was GM" when i did some routine checks on (german) players ).
I can tell you what really happens in Silverbrand, behind those closed doors, and i will hereby uncover it :

BAD, ICKY, HAIRY, GAY DWARF CYBERING !
Naerwyn

Post by Naerwyn »

First off i'll just repeat the previous statement that no, we do not get paid. Our obligations to the players, if any, are moral and not contracted.

Concerning he situation with Dji: I honestly do not feel that I know enough of what is going on with that plot to try and justify it- I am sure another GM could explain it far better. However, I'll draw out this scenario: PO Dji had an idea. He PMed a GM with said idea. The GM liked it and now it's a plot ingame.

Was this favoritism? No. There is no secret player society where an elite few are given special favors from the staff. You, too, can do what has been done before: Get an idea, send it to a GM. If they like it, great, you are given GM support in making your idea a reality (but don't expect us to do it all for you). If not, either try another GM or tweak it a bit to get it realized ingame. I can count on one hand the number of quest ideas I have received since joining the staff, and for most I never heard from the player again, so I assume they weren't that interested. Show that you want a quest, plot, etc. of yours put into the game world, instead of focusing on why the other guy got something you didn't.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

AlexRose wrote:
Adano Eles wrote:
Callith wrote:I think we can all be glad you are not on the staff any more.
You talking about me?
Then please put a name in your post. I was the last one posting before so I started to wonder what you wanted from me.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Nitram wrote:It took me quite long to create that post ;-)
That was THE most amazing showing of nitrimification EVER
Callith

Post by Callith »

Adano Eles wrote:
AlexRose wrote:
Adano Eles wrote: You talking about me?
Then please put a name in your post. I was the last one posting before so I started to wonder what you wanted from me.
And he was the only one to mention previously being on the staff, it's really common sense.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

There have been people thinking I was a staff member before.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Nitram wrote:As I said we are all humans. No borgs. We all have own different minds. The core idea is the same.
This is completely untrue Nitram. We've all come to realize by now that you are actually a robot overlord with plans for world domination. You can't fool us. :wink:

As i see it the Varshikar Academy was built in no more a fair or unfair way then the entire 'Academy of Gobiath.' Which from what i understand was built using spells and magic and whatnot as well. I'm not sure how Dji fixing the castle really matters especially when you compare the one to the other (Varshikar castle is tiny by comparison, and lacks a teaching room to my knowledge). More over it's no more of less restricted then the magic academy has become now that they have locked thier doors to the world.

Whats wrong with Varshikar finally getting an academy? We've had the idea for ages but ended up getting the axe because the Academy of Gobiath was 'nuetral' :roll: (with an extra :roll: in case you missed the first). Personally i like the idea and give a thanks to the Staff and Dji for letting the castle finally become something productive, instead of an ugly ruin in the center of our town that we'd probably never have had the coin to fix.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Thank you very much for your kindness, Callith. I love you too.

...now, will you pick up that soap please ? :wink:
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Wow, did you just call HER dirty?
Last edited by Cliu Beothach on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callith

Post by Callith »

Damien wrote:Thank you very much for your kindness, Callith. I love you too.

...now, will you pick up that soap please ? :wink:
Careful sweetie, you couldn't handle me.

And I am female.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Female ? Dammn ! You just ruined my wildest dreams ! :lol:
Naerwyn

Post by Naerwyn »

Back to topic, thralls. ;)
Ivar Kraftimarm

Post by Ivar Kraftimarm »

the topic is: Favorism of Gms and other Fun :D
Damien

Post by Damien »

Like.. flamewars ? And getting owned by Naerwyn ?
Quinasa

Re: Favorism of Gms and other Fun

Post by Quinasa »

Pellandria wrote:Anyway, I'm really interrested in any opinions and or other "facts" people come up with and see how long anyone flames and the gms decide that this must be closed immeadeatly.
This was a really stupid thing to say, the stupidest in the entire post. You open yourself up to so much criticism, not to mention your entire post is ridiculous and you obviously didn't want it to be taken seriously. I didn't see a solution or idea in your entire post, all I saw is "so-and-so has this and I don't so I'm going to whine until I get my way". And, begging your pardon, you sound like an eight year old kid who doesn't understand that life just isn't fair. This is a game, and as such it's run by the Game Masters and technical staff that take into account the players' desires and wishes but don't necessarily have to apply them. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing. If you don't like the game that's your perrogative and that's fine. You can go ahead and leave. The staff can't and WILL NOT cater to every single player here. It isn't a democracy, all games have rules.

If you want fair you're all barking up the wrong tree. If you want fair it means it applies to every aspect of the game, not just one. That means everyone gets the same items. Everyone gets the same abilities. Everyone earns the same amount of XP no matter how long they play. No one is unique. Is that what you really want?

Don't answer that. The GM's ALLOW us to play this game, and they're thankful for all the people that put the time into it that do but you have to remember that you aren't born with the right to play, and you have no "rights" because it's THEIR game and they make the rules. Either suck it up and be grateful that they let you play, or leave. Those are your choices.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Word, Quinasa.

I will refrain from my usual "crap posts that do not contribute anything towards the discussion" (as others like to call my opinion) and just say, all read what the lady wrote.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

The GM's ALLOW us to play this game
I love when this old argument is wheeled out. Don't get me wrong Quinasa, this isn't a criticism of you, just that argument. I've used that argument before, and it's either usually a tired old piece of sycophancy, or a sign of indifference.

It's true that Illarion isn't a democracy and that the rules should be fluid to allow the staff to adjust for any contigency, but when a player or group of players make a complaint, they should be heard out. As far as I can tell, Nitram addressed most of the issues raised by Pellandria (albeit in a slightly defensive manner). However, just like any not-for-profit organisation, the staff should be held answerable (not necessarily accountable) for any actions it takes. If it isn't, it breeds distrust among players and leads to questions (however valid they may or may not be) about staff transparency.

So, the staff have the right to dismiss complaints however they like, but it will ultimately lead to players departing. Players, especially veteran ones like you Quinasa, shouldn't dismiss certain arguments with the irritating old saying: "It's their game," or "Put up or shut up."

(And again, big love and respect to you Quinasa.)
Llama

Post by Llama »

As i see it the Varshikar Academy was built in no more a fair or unfair way then the entire 'Academy of Gobiath
Fact:

Dji was one of the original teachers of the old academy.
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

Okay Pellandria.

I won't share my oppinion and keep it as neutral as possible just to clarify a few things. Pellandria, you are a lier if you say you never had any favourism. Remember the Paladin thing?

However, i do understand that you are kinda pissed, without trying to make Dji the kid with the lollypop and you the jealous cat next to it. But i asure you that Dji's ressurection has brought more disadvantage than advantage to him. If it doesn't seem to be that way, than trust the word of a quester: It will, sooner or later.

My fellows: Remember one thing, every action, especial unnatural action brings consequences withit, in a good or a bad way.
The only reason why, speaking for myself, GMs dont like to share too much information is because we dont want to spoil too much, and we dont like OOC Knowledge gettin' spread arround like Jesus' Bread.

If something is a secret IG then the only place to get the truth behind this secret is trying to figure it out IG. No exceptions, in my oppinion.

Questions?
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Thanks Brendy. I love you too. :] But you should know I'm never indifferent about anything.

It might be an old argument, but that doesn't make it any less true. People are going to come and go, and the players have a responsibility to the rules just as the GMs do. All I was saying is that if you want to complain and you know how it could be better, share ALL the information you've conjured up and not just part of it. It makes a body look stupid.

I come and go, I'm not the only one. I've left for a while and come back. I know how it is to fall out of love with this game. I think Nitram was right to answer her as defensively as he did. Pell's post comes off as an attack on the staff. It's just ridiculous to demand that everyone be treated exactly the same, or even similarly. Naerwyn, Noradur, and Nitram all have very good points, and so do I. I hate to see players leave, especially ones that have been here a while, but honestly... we're all supposed to be adults here. We should all know that life isn't fair, and neither is a game.
Thargrim

Post by Thargrim »

Ich habs nicht verstanden. Nicht in diesem Thema, aber auch in einigen anderen Kommentaren in anderen Themen von anderen Spielern...

Soweit ich Rollenspiel bislang kennengelernt hab, sei es nun pen & paper, sei es Liverollenspiel.. Überall findet man irgendwo im Regelbuch diese eine spezielle Regel:

"Keine dieser Regeln gilt für den Spielleiter. Ausser einer:
Mach eine gute Szene."

Und wenn es die Dramatik einer Szene erfordert, dann ist dieser NSC eben unzerstörbar, sein Schwert ist am mächtigsten und sein Motorrad steht leider direkt vor der Tür...

Im Liverollenspiel zeigt es sich wohl am deutlichsten.. Oder wie könnte dieser eine böse NSC 30min gegen 120 Spieler kämpfen? Der zählt doch keine Treffer! Der stirbt, wenn es am besten aussieht!

Beim Vampire-Live gab es mal eine Sache, die jedem Spieler mit auf den Weg gegeben wurde:

Du wirst verlieren. Du kannst nicht gewinnen.

Und warum sollte das nicht auch für online-Rollenspiele gelten? Klar, es ist immer noch Fantasy, also darf man sich zwischendurch auch mal freuen, aber gerade Illarion legt einfach den Hauptschwerpunkt auf Rollenspiel und nicht auf höher-schneller-besser-reicher-mehrXP-monsterumgehaue...

Zumindest steht das ganz oben auf der Seite,
und deshalb spiel ich es gern.

I didn´t get the point... Not in this topic, not in a few posts in other topics from different players...

As far as I know, every pen & paper roleplaying system got something called "The Golden Rule" (as in Vampire):

There aren´t any rules for the storyteller - except one:
Make a good scene

If it is better for the story - don´t throw a dice.
If it is better for the story - don´t stick to the background
If it is better for the story - the sun spins around earth.

(in LARP it is even more freestyle - Ever wondered why this special NPC is able to fight half an hour inspite of 120 players atttacking him?)

...in vampire-live as it is played in some domains, there is only one thing you as a player can sure about:

You will lose.

Why should that not be true for online-roleplaying? Especially Illarion, where you get to know from the first page:

This is about roleplay. Not about hack&slay-get-as-much-coins-as-possible-become-superhero.

And this is why I enjoy Illarion and never tried.. say..WoW?
Thariel Feuersturm

Post by Thariel Feuersturm »

Word.

und @ Pell: bye Galim
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

alright enough of the bye galims now, thariel, thanks, 1 was enough, 2 was the little extra but the third was a waste, now knock it off!
Thariel Feuersturm

Post by Thariel Feuersturm »

:twisted:
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

The needs of the many outweigh the few
Profficide required for us to continue
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Pellandria wrote: simply because its quiete funny how noone ever searches for any people inside the german community for them,
Nitters wrote:Thats a community sided problem. Be sure that the staff knows that the germans powergame as much as the english ones. Sure the count of english powergamers is higher then the number of the german powergamers. But in the same ratio as we have more english players then german ones.
The only reason why the English powergamers out number the german ones is because of Matt.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

HolyKnight wrote:The only reason why the English powergamers out number the german ones is because of Matt.
LOFL!
Damien

Post by Damien »

There are enough german powergamers too, and there are many good english talking roleplayers also.