The game over the years..

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Post by Llama »

AlexRose wrote:Face it, most of net users don't want to roleplay. This is why illa will never be as successful as other games unless it gets a lot more lenient.
And that's where illarion lost all its form. Lets face it, although illarion looks gorgeous graphics-wise, its only saving point is the community and the roleplay. No offence meant to the devs or anything else. Allright, the crafting system is good, and you can gain a living doing something other then kill monsters/players... But otherwise, if i wanted a game with better graphics, or better magic/fighting system, there are loads on the market.

What I always loved about illarion was the roleplay, and its become too leniant about this :(

Nowadays, the only way to actually be something, is to skillup... *sigh*
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Uhm thats Illarions only purpose to deliver a soil for roleplay or?
We got thousands of games with the exact same pattern and same boring missions to bash x amount of monster or collect y amount of items to get reward z, Illarion is the only game that sticks out and that is good as it is.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Pellandria wrote:Uhm thats Illarions only purpose to deliver a soil for roleplay or?
We got thousands of games with the exact same pattern and same boring missions to bash x amount of monster or collect y amount of items to get reward z, Illarion is the only game that sticks out and that is good as it is.
Back in Hadrian's defense, some people want to bash x monsters and collect y items to get reward z. That is why some people play Role Playing games.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Those games do not deserve the title "Roleplaying Game", infact most of them are being refered to as Multiplayer Online Games, no hint of roleplay.

After playing a game like Illarion, you wouldn't say that you can still follow the mainstream opinion about what a roleplaying game is

(Games like Oblivion i.e. do not ring to me as "roleplaying games" if compared to Illarion).

It's all about the word and its meaning to people.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Maybe not, but I bet people would still refer to them as "RPG"s.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Faladron wrote:Those games do not deserve the title "Roleplaying Game", infact most of them are being refered to as Multiplayer Online Games, no hint of roleplay.

After playing a game like Illarion, you wouldn't say that you can still follow the mainstream opinion about what a roleplaying game is

(Games like Oblivion i.e. do not ring to me as "roleplaying games" if compared to Illarion).

It's all about the word and its meaning to people.
I disagree, in a game like Oblivion, you are playing the game in the role of your main character. You are not playing as yourself like in a MMORPG (excluding some of those like Illa of course).
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

the idea of a roleplaying game isnt that players pretend to be a different person. The idea of a roleplaying game is that a player controls a number of roles and progresses through the game using those roles. This is how old RPGs worked such as final fantasy (the first one). You chose what kind of guys you had and those were there roles and it was this kind of gameplay that made it a roleplaying game. In MMORPGs you take part in one of those roles and you and party make up the entire group that you would control as in a single player RPG. Thats what makes an RPG, not the idea that you have to consume yourself into a character and take every single aspect of that character.

Something like that
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

AlexRose wrote:Face it, most of net users don't want to roleplay. This is why illa will never be as successful as other games unless it gets a lot more lenient.
That depends on your definition of "role playing." I call it bringing your character to life by giving him his own personality and not mixing it with the guy controlling him behind the screen.

Other people define the role play here as limiting what your character can do as far as abilities, but we don't log in so we can be the weak asses people are in real life...we want to play as somebody extraordinary, otherwise it's no fun.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Bloodhearte wrote:
That depends on your definition of "role playing." I call it bringing your character to life by giving him his own personality and not mixing it with the guy controlling him behind the screen.

Other people define the role play here as limiting what your character can do as far as abilities, but we don't log in so we can be the weak asses people are in real life...we want to play as somebody extraordinary, otherwise it's no fun.
agree to 100 % and I would wish more people thinking like you.
Illarion was and still is for me like a movie, a fairytale I place the Char in and let him act .. and all my Chars having her own way to play, means a unique personality, a different background.

I play also in an UO shard every now and then, cause I like the graphics and the very nice community there. In UO you can RP if you want, but it isn't necessary, cause teh graphics and possibilitys are great for all sort of races and chars you wish to play.

Illarion to play without RP is rather senseless and boring and this is exactly the difference in my opinion + the absolutly addicitive charm of this game.
Damien

Post by Damien »

In fact, i do miss the old Castor Partys.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Athian wrote:Ahh, fond memories of the old days. Back when you could block a demon for hours with two shields. And the great age of the one-hit KO.

Good times
Once upon a time I had some good RP with you.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Once upon a time you could drink beer (or "yellow potions" back in the day) with your buddies while you killed ogres and took their money. Now those were good times, before Northerot was even built. :wink:
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Bloodhearte wrote: That depends on your definition of "role playing." I call it bringing your character to life by giving him his own personality and not mixing it with the guy controlling him behind the screen.
I fully agree also..
Elsi

Post by Elsi »

The thought of a single server trying to handle 'most of the net users' is pretty silly.

I was thrilled to find Illarion because I really want a MMORPG which encourages roleplay but has some graphics. You've been online for seven years, and I've been looking for a lot longer than that. What you've got to do is find a way to reach more people who are looking for role play, not try to 'compete' with the commercial games.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Indeed, but thats something, that isn't reached easily, with close to no capital behind the game.
If you have proposals, feel free to tell us.

And do not listen to persons like Alex. They tend to think that 20 persons are the majority of the whole internet and 5 persons are the majority of the Illarion community.

Nitram
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

... Oh yes, cos I'm SURE most of the internet want to play illarion.

Not even 1% of internet users want to roleplay.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

They say that 10% of statistics are made up on the spot with no scientific evidence what so ever.

And there are other rpgs or ways to do role playing that are set up by use of forums, text messangers (which I used many years before I found Illarion), and muds. I'm sure it is a bit higher than you think even if not even 1% are interested in playing Illarion.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:They say that 10% of statistics are made up on the spot with no scientific evidence what so ever.
How ironic.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

not even 1% of the internet users....
Laut EITO nutzen Anfang 2007 1,13 Milliarden Menschen das Internet.
translated: EITO states, that 1.130.000.000 persons used the internet in the beginning of 2007.

1.130.000.000*1%=11.300.000

so alex states, that less than eleven millions of peoples want to roleplay.

seems to me to be a somewhat retarded agument in relation to the playernumbers of Illarion.
Elsi

Post by Elsi »

Nitram wrote:Indeed, but thats something, that isn't reached easily, with close to no capital behind the game.
If you have proposals, feel free to tell us.

And do not listen to persons like Alex. They tend to think that 20 persons are the majority of the whole internet and 5 persons are the majority of the Illarion community.

Nitram
It doesn't always take capitol. It just takes awareness.

If you post in any other RPG forums, include a link to Illarion in you signature. Every month or so scour the net for sites which list on-line free games and make sure Illarion is mentioned. Fairly simple stuff will raise the profile just a little bit. Banner exchanges are something to think about too, but that may open a whole can of worms you don't want to deal with.

Even having a 'link to us' page with a downloadable banner which players can add to their own web sites or blogs linking to the game might be a help.
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

yay the old days, when lizard knew how to roll deep.

Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Back in the day you could PK all the noobs you wanted without punishment
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

I miss:

The old people.
The old systems.
The old ways.
The old maps.
The old, timeless #me's.

Player X leans against the hedges.

-Siiiiigh-
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

I'm happy that I am now old enough to say that I also miss the #me leans against the hedges. I just passed my one year anniversary :)
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

In 8 days I'll get to wear my 5 years long service medal.
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

Wow, even I think Aries is old school.

New and old Illarion are very different games. Back in the days when the player numbers were all <10000, there was roleplaying, but it co-existed with all sorts of other deranged antics. Pretty well everyone was a smith, and practiced numerous other trades. "Quests" involved Ashkatuul or Drahken coming to town and in general just kicking some ass. A lot of the character conflict was just players versus player killers. Oh, it was a merry and innocent time.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

That's not to say there's not still roleplay. Since I started playing again, I've found some wonderful roleplay, and some of those who are new and don't know show some potential to become roleplayers.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

old illarion = not serious and fun
new illarion = serious and not so fun
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

yea....the site i saw illarion (Theres only 3 websites that says something about illarion...)
http://play-free-online-game.co.uk/games/games_I.htm
http://play-free-online-games.com/games/games_all.html
and the other one, whose URL i dont have.
A good community to advertise Illarion to (Er...some, about half, the other half are just people who pk....and by the way, many of them are creative, so yea) is RTB! aka: Returning To Blockland....
Sure laugh at it...
LAUGH!! But when you play it (mostly 11-18 year olds lol) you make your own server made with blocks of doom....'Blockos' theyr called. Anyways, i always made this castle rpg server, and always had the same 7 people come: Dark Ninja, Wake, Police, Trigun{DM}, Ray, Red, and Rysonoku.
We love to make little events, ex: When we had to survive the viking siege (I made about 11 attacking bots in front of our castle, and i put it so they attack anyone within 333 squares, ended up being if we got out of the castle, we died lol damn crossbows....), the Snow + Lightning storm XD (I finally figured how to put snow...and thunder and i accidently put the snow to cause damage, and thunder too, so we had to stay inside our supply room, and i think Ray and Wake closed themselves in the well....and then i figured it out and i used jets to float in the air, and did a little god thingy and made everything to normal lol), the attack of the lag-monkeys (DON'T use monkeys on RTB....they cause major lag, and this time i put 3, and they super lagged, and then i made them into bots, and they kept grouping around us and made us froze....and one lag-humped Police, it was trying to jump up on the tower where Trigun and me were, and it looked like it was humping Police...XD, then i restarted server and we all lol'd), and one i cant forget, the super DM (deathmatch) of the green monkeys virsus the pink hordes of cats....(I think its on youtube, search for it, anyways, Rysonoku showed me how to make animal blocks fight....themselves, so im all like 'lets make a vid of them fighting' and long story short, we got the monkeys and 1/3 of the cats targeting us instead of the other animals, and we had to make them extinct >:) ) and many other, funny events. But the rp ones, were super long and funny, i dont remember one except one about Trigun being a bartender....and had red and ray be his personal slaves, it ended out to be a great rp event thingy, plenty of /me drinks cup full of beer, and smacks Trigun with it, and /me pokes Trigun....er well not the best of rping but they still like things when they choose what to do....(mostly meidival or ww2) and sooo....apocalypse day happened, blockland retail came out and half of the community left, so advertise at:
http://blocklandv0002rtb.freeforums.org/index.php
you may notice posts saying
'RTB is dead...forums r dead' etc, dont mind that...only 3 people go to the forums tho, me, qwert, and Trigun.
(The people theyr dont PG, most hate runescape, and all like to build creative servers, -you should see many of their servers- mostly of meidival kind, and they all know how to script really well.)

so yea...go RTB!
Damien

Post by Damien »

"serious" stuff like rules just became necessary since we got players with less maturity. That stuff was born from needs caused by the immaturity or stupidity of people.
Example: the rule part about not to RP rapes or likewise violent acts was added after a girl-person, who experienced such stuff in RL and was just recovering, got force-RP-raped by some idiot-person ingame, left the game and forums kinda immediately and needed therapy stuff again.

It's not the rules that ruin an atmosphere - it's the habit of people.
Some years ago, you could login and have fun, RP or at least fun-talk or fun-RP with kinda EVERYONE you met ingame. Not because we had no rules, but because the majority of people here was mature enough not to need them.

Now, we have several players who don't even know about or just ignore any RP and who prefer working/powergaming to even talking to people.
That's what gets it down.
Other people got pissed by the habit of those and from being pissed, behave bad (in another way, like ignoring newbies or behaving what people see as "elitary").
That also gets it down.
Other people complain about kinda everything, and think that the staff is stupid enough to pump sugar up their behinds if they annoy them long enough.
That also gets it down.

Well, so much for that.