General magic questions

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Jethro

General magic questions

Post by Jethro »

Well, after todays event I became a Member of The Order of the Flame, and I received three runes (RA, KEL, and OWAN). Now, I figured out how to cast them, but I think im missing something. . .

I never received an Ancient Book. I can speak in Ancient, so I assume I already got the first point. Also, I figure that I have to practice Ancient to get better at it. There are a few ways I can think of, first of is saying prayers to Bragon in Ancient, the second is practicing with other people that already know Ancient, and the third is to go around randomly talking in Ancient. . Im sure the third is powergaming, but how about the first two?

I always fail when I cast RA, KEL, and OWAN together, but I can successfully cast RA KEL, the only thing is whenever I cast it it says " The spell returns to you and hits you." Im thinking its because I don't know Ancient well enough, but im nto positively sure.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

You need the book, else the ancient skill won't show up.

Kel ra qwan is quiete powerfull magic, which needs pretty high skills to cast them succesfull, spells at the beginning are pretty useless anyway and will almost everytime fall back and..btw. this is kinda crap rp..giving chars such powerfull runes without them knowing anything about magic, all of your chars normally should burn alive.
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

First off, it's trash that a character can Cast (ANCIENT!) runemagic without being able to speak perfectly ancient. Second, I don't know why you were given the runes, but it's unfair to all those, who badly want runes and actually do something for it. Third: KEL RA QWAN is a spell that needs a whole crap of Commotio-Skill. My mage has about 45% with his equipment and he also has the maximum magic attributes that are possible for a human and still only suceeds in about 1 of 3 tries to cast KEL RA QWAN.
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Ah, alright. Thanks guys, makes since.

I would agree that its trash, but meh. I honestly do feel bad for actually having the magic skills, especially since im not a Mage (And hadn't been planning into turning this character into one), but I am a Priest, and I worship Bragon, so meh.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

OMFG!

Now the 'Tragic' System has really been abused now.

Hehehe......all you mages still think it doesn't need to be fixed?

ROFLMFAO!!!!!
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

And now for something completely different: Not being judgmental.

Make sure your not wearing any iron stuff. I've heard that causes spells to come back on you. At least, the like 3 years ago I played a mage.
Fianna Heneghan

Post by Fianna Heneghan »

Same thing happened to me at a mass for Bragon. I was told by the GM involved to RP it not as arcane magic, but as a blessing from Bragon. Also, other players told me that the runes would be deleted eventually. I don't know how true that last part is.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Sorry for not mentioning it ingame, yes, the "runes" should be treated as divine blessing / gift, not arcane magic. Thus, no ancient.

Due to the lack of a priest system, I had to choose this way. Call it crap RP, call it trash, call it unfair, call it whatever you want, I don't care at all, you know ;-). We can only use what we have to reach certain effects in this game. And it is not my fault that it was impossible to get runes for the majority of players in the past.
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Sorry estralis, how much I like you as a quest gm, who allready helped me, but as soon as gms start to go over rules we players are bound to, how could you possible want us to hold them up, divine blessing could also be any kind of item but please no runes, if these player have no idea how to play with them.
Estralis Seborian

What rules?
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

No offense to anyone that got the runes, but the entire game has always been about magic along with runes since I have been playing (at least for the mage chars that specifically have skills that about the only thing they can do well is RP and magic) and for a char that hasn't even considered being a mage to now get runes doesn't seem ... right (I guess is the word). In other words.. because we don't have a Druid system yet..should quests for Druids also be given runes? To have just given the fire illusion would have been plenty if the fire was the focus in giving it.

In a previous topic, it was expressed by some that if NPC's gave runes... ancient should be learned also.. others were concerned of all knowing ancient. A lot seemed to agree that for NPC quests for new mages in order to start them on their way to learning, would mainly be given level one runes.. but require a teacher for the higher levels. This was all for aspiring mage chars. For a level four rune to be given as a quest to a non-aspiring mage char is "pushing" the mechanics of the game IMO even as divine gift....these chars now have mana and a higher level then most mage apprentices now (at least more then Kaila).

Point being, I would agree with Taeryon and Pella.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Estralis Seborian wrote:What rules?
http://halik.ha.funpic.de/phpBB2/index.php
pharse

Post by pharse »

When did you last check that page? I can't find any rules there.
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

Estralis Seborian

Damien wrote:The rules have been removed.
Also keep in mind that those rules (called "Appendix"...) were a gentlemen agreement within a guild, no part of the server rules of Illarion. In addition, we are talking about a quest. Quests tend to have an end ;-).

I know some of you might be confused for it was close to impossible to learn magic and now some chars get "runes" to represent an effect as quest reward. But let us calm down and reconcentrate on what this game is all about. The hint that another set of runes would have been better was noted. This is feedback one can work with.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Also keep in mind that those rules (called "Appendix"...) were a gentlemen agreement within a guild, no part of the server rules of Illarion.
exactly what I was about to write ;)
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Quest ends and runes stay, seem you don't get the point here, magic rp and eerything concerning magic is hard work, except you want to play a craptastic powergamed char anyway, but you didn't even told them how to handle this "blessing" just shows how much more strange this is.

If youreally want to have people runes, which they can't handle and heck even would hurt them rp wise, why don't we let everyone getting runes just a change in the database and boom, everyone can cast some magc.

Other thing is that actuall mage chars need to wait, sometimes even real life years, for even getting a teacher and now there are gm's who hand out these runes without any disadvantages, that sounds downright unfair and I just need to look at the guild of the order, how many of your guildmember ever prayed to bragon before this guild was a "Ohh pretty gm guild, lets join !" thing?
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

I think this is because Pell is not a very good mage.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Pellandria wrote:dominic, shut up if you have nothing to say, thank you.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:"Nothing WORTHWHILE to say" is what s/he meant.
And no, that wasn't worthwhile.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Yes that makes sense, I'm pissed off because a gm gives away runes with going over every ig rule we have, because these chars, who aren't even a match for most mage chars, got three runes, which they can only use two, wow dominic you always suprise me.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Pellandria wrote:Yes that makes sense, I'm pissed off because a gm gives away runes with going over every ig rule we have, because these chars, who aren't even a match for most mage chars, got three runes, which they can only use two, wow dominic you always suprise me.
If some of the runes are useless, and can be killed EASILY by mage chars, why are you complaining?

And @abc: Yeah, because your comment was REALLY worthwile :wink:
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Yes, it was much more worthwhile than yours. It was worth it enough saying yours was not worth it, and this one is too.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

If he pgs he can pwn quite thoroughly with KEL RA QWAN, and if he got a wand and spammed KEL RAs he could bring down anything except golems and dragons ;) .
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I think you'll find that the PGers can find a way to kill you with almost anything. :p
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

~An Advertisement~
Are you a new mage? Have you just wanted a few runes?

Can't find a Magic teacher?

Are you feeling left out of the Magic Academy?

Never Fear!!

Now with "Bragon's Bragging Ointment" You too can be a superpowerful, Powergamed, Blessed UberMage!!!!

Get Yours today! Just Pray!

Only 9.99 Silvers, plus tax, S&H. Offer not valid in most Player operated territories IG or in RL. Management is not responsible for PK, rudeness or slander of recieving characters.

:evil:
Last edited by Juniper Onyx on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estralis Seborian

Nitram is better in this...
Pellandria wrote:Quest ends
Wrong. See: http://illarion.org/statistics/us_players.php
Pellandria wrote:and runes stay
Who said this?
Pellandria wrote:seem you don't get the point here
Right!
Pellandria wrote:magic rp and eerything concerning magic is hard work
Hard work is what I do at work. Illarion is a game, not a life-task. And again: It is no arcane magic, it was never labelled this way ingame but it was stated that the alcolytes receive a blessing. I did not re-mention that fact OOC, that was a fault - but OOC tends to disturb nice scenes. But you are right, I should have done that.
Pellandria wrote:Other thing is that actuall mage chars need to wait, sometimes even real life years, for even getting a teacher and now there are gm's who hand out these runes without any disadvantages,
Yes. Waiting a RL for a magic teacher is the most *bleep* [CENSORED] *bleep* one can experience in a game like this. Also, it is common in this game that advantages may be awarded in a quest. And again: Neither is it over nor do you know what happens with the blessing.
Pellandria wrote:that sounds downright unfair
I think I will stay unfair then :lol:.
Pellandria wrote:and I just need to look at the guild of the order, how many of your guildmember ever prayed to bragon before this guild was a "Ohh pretty gm guild, lets join !" thing?
*g* You got a point here. What does your character think about this? *blinks*

All in all, I cannot understand why some are so upset. I know some had to suffer from the tragic system and had to wait like 2 years to learn RA KEL. But when one is mistreated, is that a reason that everybody should be punished this way until eternity? And I can only repeat myself: It is a quest. I used the runes to represent something within this quest. Because we have nothing else that fits. Yet. And this quest is ment to entertain players.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

~An Advertisement~
Are you just a fighter or craftsman?

Ever want to cast powerful magic and not even be a mage?

Never cast magic before, but want to impress your friends?

Never Fear!!

Now with "Bragon's Bragging Ointment" You too can be a superpowerful, Powergamed, Blessed UberMage!!!!

Get Yours today! Just Pray!

Supplies are limited and going fast! Pray now!

Only 9.99 Silvers, plus tax, S&H. Offer not valid in most Player operated territories IG or in RL. Management is not responsible for PK, rudeness or slander of recieving characters or their 'Gods'.

:evil:
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Estralis Seborian wrote: Who said this?
Why give them, if you take them away anyway?
Estralis Seborian wrote: Hard work is what I do at work. Illarion is a game, not a life-task. And again: It is no arcane magic, it was never labelled this way ingame but it was stated that the alcolytes receive a blessing. I did not re-mention that fact OOC, that was a fault - but OOC tends to disturb nice scenes. But you are right, I should have done that.
It seems you have no idea uhm how much you have to work for a mage char get skills up, get a teacher, wait till you get the runes.
Still you havenm't told them ig nor ooc how to use it "still" you didn't or?
Estralis Seborian wrote: Yes. Waiting a RL for a magic teacher is the most *bleep* [CENSORED] *bleep* one can experience in a game like this. Also, it is common in this game that advantages may be awarded in a quest. And again: Neither is it over nor do you know what happens with the blessing.
Yes awards for quest, this is exactly why most people run there, because they want the awards, not because its logical to have their chars there, if Gms keep on to give "Such" awards, it won't change.
What happends, well I can tell you, people cast the spells without any idea how it works nor how to play it right, this topic just shows it.
Estralis Seborian wrote: *g* You got a point here. What does your character think about this? *blinks*
My char doesn't follow this god, so its unimportant what she thinks about it but she certaintly doesn't like that arcane widsome, cut this blessing crap here, is given away to people, who cartaintly have no Idea how to use it.

#
Estralis Seborian wrote: All in all, I cannot understand why some are so upset. I know some had to suffer from the tragic system and had to wait like 2 years to learn RA KEL. But when one is mistreated, is that a reason that everybody should be punished this way until eternity? And I can only repeat myself: It is a quest. I used the runes to represent something within this quest. Because we have nothing else that fits. Yet. And this quest is ment to entertain players.
We got fireswords, heck you could give them a rubin ring and say "here this is a blessed ring" but not something like this, why don't you say what this blessing should be, how should they use it and why should they have gained it, if you take it away or may not take it away, its really strange that there seems no reason at all except "They have it, no need to explain it, I did it because of technical flaws", I doubt that many know how to really play a priest.
Estralis Seborian

You are focussing on the "how to use" - I assume you don't mean press ALT, select runes, select target, right? Maybe I still don't understand you, but it is an ingame matter. The blessed characters have this ability now and its origin might be mysterious. It is a quest afterall. What they do with this ability is up to the characters, fact is they were blessed in an event and now they can throw fireballs. The original poster is the only one who was not told OOC that the blessing is NOT arcane magic but a divine gift. That was a fault I admit.

By the way, may I ask wether you were around in any of these blessing ceremonies? Or know anything else about the plot? Anyway, EOD for me. RA 2sp, KEL 3sp, QWAN 5sp, meet me in the shop and vote Fooser! :roll:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

You know that a sword as quest reward stays as well? Even after the quest ends?