Problem in The Community

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Pellandria wrote:Yeah make it even worser than it is, not all players get their egos up and want to pg all day, skill loose and item loose, as itis now, is crap allready, making it even worser just drives more people away.
I don't powergame :P check my skills/time I've had my characters and you will find I don't train my characters much.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

than you obviously never played a magical char, skilloose ther eis the worst that you can ever have and I don't have any database access, so no way to check hmm.
Fianna Heneghan

Post by Fianna Heneghan »

abcfantasy wrote:If people do not care about getting clouded, then something must be done to make the consequences worse so that people will care. People 'must' care if their chars get clouded.
I don't mind being told about rules and how to play, but please don't tell me how to feel. I think we are looking at a much bigger problem if the staff dictates how the players 'must' feel.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Fianna Heneghan wrote:
abcfantasy wrote:If people do not care about getting clouded, then something must be done to make the consequences worse so that people will care. People 'must' care if their chars get clouded.
I don't mind being told about rules and how to play, but please don't tell me how to feel. I think we are looking at a much bigger problem if the staff dictates how the players 'must' feel.
O_O?!

Are you supposed to be HAPPY or impartial to the fact that your character has died and been allowed to live by the gods?
Fianna Heneghan

You are free to feel about it any way you like. You can be pissed and cry on the forums if you want. If I want to not take it all so seriously, and treat it like it's a game, I should be entitled to that as well.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

It's not a matter of feelings really.
But the PO should 'care' about his char and getting clouded. It's like a responsability. I'm not saying tremble and be scared if your char is about to be clouded, but I am saying that you should not treat your char's clouding as if it was nothing.
Fianna Heneghan

abcfantasy wrote:It's not a matter of feelings really.
But the PO should 'care' about his char and getting clouded. It's like a responsability. I'm not saying tremble and be scared if your char is about to be clouded, but I am saying that you should not treat your char's clouding as if it was nothing.
I say it again...

Tell me how to roleplay it. Don't tell me how to feel about it OOC. If I rp it appropriately, what do you care how I feel about it behind the screen?
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

I say it again too...

I'm not saying how you should feel about it OOC, but I am saying that that is a responsability.

If you RP it properly, then you are being responsible enough.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

If people do not care about getting clouded, then something must be done to make the consequences worse so that people will care. People 'must' care if their chars get clouded.
ooc.. people may not care.... there are a couple of chars I don't care if they are clouded or not... a couple I would. That does not mean I won't adaquetely RP the clouding however. The "consequences" in order to force adaquete RP can even be up to perma.. and there will be some PO's who will not RP correctly no matter what. These PO's should be talked to by a GM rather then making more mechanics to force a certain RP. This kind of mechanic punishes the good RPer more then the bad one (just one opinion and I realize it is not shared by all).

than you obviously never played a magical char, skilloose ther eis the worst that you can ever have and I don't have any database access, so no way to check hmm.
Again this is the mechanics of the game.. the permanent skill loss. IMO that causes a lot of the conflict, even though some say it is good to "encourage" fear of dying/severely hurt or whatever...
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

It's easy to gain magic skills, don't lie Pellandria.

Skill loss overall doesn't help anything. Losing skills causes players to get frustrated, and is not enough to fear death anyway. -> pointless.

You will never have a system where characters fear death. It's just no fun, so no one does it thinking they are the minority, when sadly they are the majority.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Easy to gain magic skill?
Yes if you like powergaming overall and sensless casting around, than it just might be easy.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I don't powergame my mage char, nor do i cast senslessly around (Unless i'm really bored with no one around or something, then i can cap myself within 30 seconds flat.)

But so far, it's been easy as pie.

If *I* was to really powergame, i'd have 40 commotio in 2 days of starting, and no, i'm not exagerating.

Of Course playing a mage requires responsibility. Powergaming here isn't much an option for me.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

You will never have a system where characters fear death. It's just no fun, so no one does it thinking they are the minority, when sadly they are the majority.
how can you know that?
if i am not very mistaken, about half this thread is just about this difference in feelings.
and, i have to add, about your (you and others of the "evil char" players)unability, to understand(or respect?) these differences.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

PARDON?
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Korm Kormsen wrote:
how can you know that?
if i am not very mistaken, about half this thread is just about this difference in feelings.
and, i have to add, about your (you and others of the "evil char" players)unability, to understand(or respect?) these differences.
Sort of like you?

The PO's of "good" players -- yes I am grouping you all as one as you did to us -- seem very one sided as well.
Fianna Heneghan

Pellandria wrote:
I'm thinking..if all these people, who don't care about getting killed...why we don't swarm them and reskill them 100 times, lets look if they still won't care.
Always the voice of reason. You know, I just can't imagine why there is a problem in the community when I read things like that.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

And now that you quoted me and comment me, you should start thinking why I said it, hmm that would be the first step..think..right.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Ok...lets not start a flame war on feelings. I think what abc meant is that the character should care about being clouded. If you were clouded and had no chance to survive it to begin with, but it was important to the roleplay that you WERE attacked, then you should act wounded, when you come back around. Mind you, if it was a strong fighter vs. a little wimp, then even if he was hurt engine wise, he may be able to claim that there were just many many scratches, and no real...wounds, I think he meant he wants you to roleplay battles correctly, even if your clouded you should not be suddenly at top fighting condition and launch an attack at the enemy...you should atleast be covered in blood, unless it was a one momment, "Bragon has returned you to earth, fully healed and blabbity blah for your good faith, but you know he will not bless you like this again." I have found that roleplaying as a wounded person, gets extremely annoying after a while...esppecially when you think of your wounds in RL days and not Illa days...I had the same gash on my leg for nearly an Illa month...heh heh, but the momments of the wounded..are often the best growing moments for characters, to discover who they are....good way to switch your characters role...from an attacker...to a defensive person.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Pellandria, all you ever do in ANY of your posts is either telling people they lack intelligence, Or flaming people / provoking. If you can't write ANYTHING productive, just piss off.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Retlak, that post was what you said Pellandria's post was.

*Giggles*

Okay this thread has become a little out of hand, I think a mod should lock it. I doubt any change was done, and I doubt that any change can be done.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Telling someone to piss off isn't an insult.

Not here at least.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

abcfantasy wrote:Retlak, that post was what you said Pellandria's post was.

*Giggles*

Okay this thread has become a little out of hand, I think a mod should lock it. I doubt any change was done, and I doubt that any change can be done.
I think this is a healthy thread for the community.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

As is yours.

*spams and waits for lock*
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Miklorius wrote:
Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:Well, in my opinion, clouding is up to the player.. If he chooses perma death then it's oviously a kill, if not, then it's K.O and badly wounded.
"Up to the player" won't work if it comes to big battles. And you also give your interpretation how you see clouding/ghostung. I really hope that the staff will give official, logical guidelines.

See also the Illapedia about Death!

I highly doubt that there are a lot players who can play their characters without any player/OOC knowledge influence (maybe when you are not much active in the community)!
You just jabber on about the activity. :roll:

I think it's irrelevant. The amount of OOC influence you're willing to put into things is directly correlating with the amount of ooc you have to deal with when playing the game itself. (I.e, the less of a roleplaying game it becomes, but the more the players behind the characters become involved with 1.) the play and 2.) the characters themselves). The more you care and feel for, are frustrated and fear for the the character, the more the OOC influences your actions and what you do. When you don't really mind about the result, then it becomes much easier not to let ooc influence things that much.

Now, which makes death seem more irrelevant for the characters?

"Oops, this is my thirteenth time I come back from cherga's realm.." ABC stretches his arms. ->Business as usual"
"XYZ coughs up blood while laying on the floor. He extends his hand towards the men surronding him and asks with a frail, pained voice "Help me.. Get a medico.. I'm wounded.. -> He plays a really wounded character for anywhere from one day to a few weeks, like real men do. Maybe he even sustains a permanent injury."

As a player, I've always found the idea of multiple deaths to be silly (It's a fantasy world, whatever. But us then us players shouldn't consider it as a death, now should we?). When I consider my character, or any character 'dying,' they'll be kicking the bucket for good. No lame comebacks from the cross, but a cold, preplanned and mutually agreed upon death by all those participating (though I reserve the right to have my character killed by yours without a due warning :P). The kind of death of which you'll only get out of with some real roleplay while depending on others (resurrection ceremony, lichdom.. et cetera), but hopefully not even that for the most who go through that type of (AKA the real) death.

If *that* is really 'the death' in this game, then maybe there's no wonder some characters are not aftraid of it. :wink:

Imagine how many people would be playing in the traffic for fun, if they were not risking their only and unique life in the process..

So, I'll keep on roleplaying the the wounded guy, no matter what the party line on the matter is. My character dies when I want to, thank you very much. Be upset all you want. :wink:

Ya'll know the drill. Bit.. blame me. :wink: :P

EDIT:
If you don't want to participate in the discussion, Abcfantasy, you have the priviledge of not doing so. Now stop begging for that lock and remove yourself from the thread. I find this discussion to be interesting.

Time to let some bad blood out and talk things through, face to face, like men do. Locking topics is like sweeping the dirt under the carpet; All fine and dandy as long as you don't actually give a damn about the cleaning up.

"Quick Arien, lock the topic before anyone disagrees! This is the way for a healthy community!" (Because we all know that when you forbid people from speaking out their minds, their opinions and feelings magically go away and everything is fine again..) :P
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

There's no need to powergame to gain skills fast.
Just step away from the proverbial box of advice you get on the streets. People tell you: "if you're new, go practice with flies." Don't do it, don't listen. Don't go out and try to kill 1000 flies, or stand there getting hit for 10 hours straight, trying to gain baby steps of skill.

Instead:

1. Find a smith and try to make a deal with them for some decent armor: either ask for credit or do a job for them. easy.
2. Do a job or two for some farmer or fisher or miner, to get at least 100 coins.
3. Buy a healing potion.

4.Go straight down south into the forest, with all your skills at 0, and try taking on a troll. Sure, it will take some skill, backing up, jumping, reasting, hiding in the trees. Luckily, the AI of the monsters is now slightly complex, they can lose you in the trees or get lost themselves. With a bit of tactical thinking, by the time the troll dies, you will have gained at least 7-8 combat levels. Total time of this endeavor is about 30-60 minutes, including the proper roleplay.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Konrad Knox wrote:There's no need to powergame to gain skills fast.
Just step away from the proverbial box of advice you get on the streets. People tell you: "if you're new, go practice with flies." Don't do it, don't listen. Don't go out and try to kill 1000 flies, or stand there getting hit for 10 hours straight, trying to gain baby steps of skill.

Instead:

1. Find a smith and try to make a deal with them for some decent armor: either ask for credit or do a job for them. easy.
2. Do a job or two for some farmer or fisher or miner, to get at least 100 coins.
3. Buy a healing potion.

4.Go straight down south into the forest, with all your skills at 0, and try taking on a troll. Sure, it will take some skill, backing up, jumping, reasting, hiding in the trees. Luckily, the AI of the monsters is now slightly complex, they can lose you in the trees or get lost themselves. With a bit of tactical thinking, by the time the troll dies, you will have gained at least 7-8 combat levels. Total time of this endeavor is about 30-60 minutes, including the proper roleplay.
Na, a new character can get 20+ spirals off flies in less than 5 minutes.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

i think with higher mobs spirals actually skip a few levels
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

No one has any fear in game.
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

I think there's nothing more left to say what's new.
So I'll close the thread this evening.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

thanks for leaving it open so long.
even if it achieved nothing, but to show that opinions were different, are different and likely will stay different.