Hoods, masks, concealing your faces..

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

ok. It is just after winter IT IS COLD people are going to wear hoods and such better? btw look at the hours you are on there are 9 characters ig right now.... if it is 4/5 when there is 30-40 people on might be a little weird....perhaps a starwars convention?
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

:) wrote:How about giving random numbers then? Like; 3***4**3**
IMO if you can't give any description besides what is in the #me, or their gestures, then that is all that should be given. Davien and I chased an orc that threw a molotov at us in Eliza's. We think possibly we may be able to identify him by a certain gesture he did, but are not sure, therefore no post.
:)

Post by :) »

Well, now I don't know what to do.
Describe numbers, or not? Enlighten a n00b please..
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

I post numbers only if I see their face. that is a personal thing. Not all do. I dont expect others to do so either. Mainly I stick within the RP, even if I do see someones face and the next time I see them and they are wearing different attire and their face is covered I pretend not to know them, because technically I dont. I always keep this in mind too, she said there were 5000 players my character thinks in that kind of scale. If I see one elf I might get it confused with another ect.
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

maybe we can disable the number after the next update. Currently there is a character lookat in the testing phase.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Just wondering you said problem......
the problem in my eyes is:
we all talk about RP, but controversies are generally solved by Ctrl-clicking. so a char, that is not very strong can't be a "goody-goody" guard.
on the other hand, further evolved chars seldom work as guards.
but we have to live with the fact, that a lot of POs are not grown past the "my char is the great misterious stranger" stage.
so not only the "real" criminals are hooded, but a lot more.

i would see just one solution.
one does not see the char-number. one sees either nothing, the self given name or description or the real name after an introduction.
in the ideal of game worlds with the possibility to lie about ones name, without others to note the difference.

and, being a guard, in my opinion is a job for NPCs.
(from that little, what i have seen and understood about scripting, i'm positive, our good scripters could give us a couple of interesting NPC-guards, that work 24/7/4/12)
:)

Post by :) »

I don't care if people solve things by ctrl + click.
I have fun roleplaying a guard.. Sure, I guess some people won't roleplay well, but who cares? I know that I'll get some good roleplay in 10 minutes later.. Sure, I'll keep training my character from time to time, and maybe some day he'll be really strong, then I'll be able to deal with poor RP by ctrl + click, but until then, I don't mind being clouded at the cost of bad RP.. since I know I can find good roleplay here.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

:) wrote:I don't care if people solve things by ctrl + click.
I have fun roleplaying a guard.. Sure, I guess some people won't roleplay well, but who cares? I know that I'll get some good roleplay in 10 minutes later.. Sure, I'll keep training my character from time to time, and maybe some day he'll be really strong, then I'll be able to deal with poor RP by ctrl + click, but until then, I don't mind being clouded at the cost of bad RP.. since I know I can find good roleplay here.
Okay, everybody heard him say it himself. I can ctrl+click him as much as I want, whenever I want, until he is strong enough to beat me! w00t! I love illarion.

P.S. I never wear a hood with Richy, he just sort of does whatever. When he commits a crime no one really complains. They are just like oh this bastard, here he goes again.
Juliette del Attilia

Post by Juliette del Attilia »

The problem with removing the numbers is IMO, that not every player is playing in a fair way. And that includes goodies just as baddies. As soon as you can change your 'look at' whenever you want, you will never see a criminal again that looks the same as the day before. Sometimes the numbers are the only hint to 'reveal' one. That can be a bad thing but it can also be a good thing. It just depends on how fair the players are, really.

Oh yes, my character is most of the time wearing a hood (and she is not a baddie. ... or is she? :lol:) , but it's not about concealing. It's more that I want to highlight her mysterious appearance. I always rp that you can see parts of her face too.
Arameh wrote:Hoods are hot
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Nah, keep the numbers. As there is no way of getting physical evidence of anything without massive cooperation by the criminal, that's the only way of evere trying to figure out "whodunnit?"

Anyway, for non-wanted-people:
Hoods are for noobs. :P
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I agree with Fooser.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Fooser: Just PK them.
I agree with Fooser.
Oh...
Christiana

Post by Christiana »

:) wrote: I was just wondering if it was common for half the players to play hooded characters.
it's carnival in illarion! YAAAAY :D

i agree with fooser too.
kill'em all! :twisted:
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Mr. Cromwell wrote: Anyway, for non-wanted-people:
Hoods are for noobs. :P
I disagree. Evan is not wanted, but he still wears a hood because he thinks everyone wants him dead. In my option that is a good reason to cover your face.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

My character Grivijak wears a metal mask as you know. This isn't because he is up to no good, this is because he is undead and has skull showing through his face, with no eyes and a smile that says "Give me a hug."
Juliette del Attilia

Post by Juliette del Attilia »

Retlak wrote:My character Grivijak wears a metal mask as you know. This isn't because he is up to no good, this is because he is undead and has skull showing through his face, with no eyes and a smile that says "Give me a hug."

Why is it that all your orks turn into undeads after a while...?
Elhrímnir

Post by Elhrímnir »

Hoods should be allowed.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

well, "monk" i fully understand your point! if the nordmarkers had forced their law, and decapitated you, for being hooded, your stay would have been even shorter, than it was... :twisted: :wink:
Elhrímnir

Post by Elhrímnir »

Oh my, the jarl is angry! *pokes him*
well, on religous basis it should be allowed, its like forbidding boerkas in a mosque.

*edit* accedentally pressed submit..
*edit2* ARGH me an my fingers
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

the jarl was angry about that hooded sibanac junky, the PO is angry, that you left so early.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I was joking with my statement by the way. Grivijak isn't undead.
Executor

Post by Executor »

Why exactly is this being discusses here? it is an ingame matter? Of course a criminal wears a hood when hes on work... If a guard asks the person to take the hood off, and (s)he doesn't, then jail him, or whatever your char would do. This has nothing to do here...
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Juliette del Attilia wrote:The problem with removing the numbers is IMO, that not every player is playing in a fair way. And that includes goodies just as baddies. As soon as you can change your 'look at' whenever you want, you will never see a criminal again that looks the same as the day before. Sometimes the numbers are the only hint to 'reveal' one. That can be a bad thing but it can also be a good thing. It just depends on how fair the players are, really.
Agreed. And as far as there are no different character graphics (paper-dolling), removing numbers is a bad idea.

If someone wears a mask, it IS noticeable for others. I think that fighters with full helmets don't wear them always in town (regardless if the helmet is still equipped) or have at least the visor open.

It is a general problem: If you enter a room and emote that your are hooded, many POs will react on this fact. So, in the end it is quite the same if a known bandit is hooded or not. But that's life...
And if you are e.g. an orc, you get far more easier identified (size, behaviour etc.).
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Julius wears a visored helm and he's no Bandit, he's a guard. If you make a roleplay law against concealing one self, then no bandit could ever come into town. It would look more like this,

"HEY LOOK AT ME! REMEMBER ME FROM YESTERDAY WHEN I KILLED YOUR KID! AH, I HAVE THE COURAGE TO WALK INTO A TOWN WITH 5 KNIGHTS, 7 GUARDS, AND FORTY OTHER PEOPLE THAT I JUST ROBBED WITHOUT CONCEALING MY FEATURES."

Even if your not a bandit, you have the right as a player to roleplay such things.

Dumb thread, someone close it plz.

End.
Elhrímnir

Post by Elhrímnir »

Julius wrote:Julius wears a visored helm and he's no Bandit, he's a guard. If you make a roleplay law against concealing one self, then no bandit could ever come into town. It would look more like this,

"HEY LOOK AT ME! REMEMBER ME FROM YESTERDAY WHEN I KILLED YOUR KID! AH, I HAVE THE COURAGE TO WALK INTO A TOWN WITH 5 KNIGHTS, 7 GUARDS, AND FORTY OTHER PEOPLE THAT I JUST ROBBED WITHOUT CONCEALING MY FEATURES."

Even if your not a bandit, you have the right as a player to roleplay such things.

Dumb thread, someone close it plz.

End.
Signed.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Not all characters wear a hood for reasons of disguise.

My character (Anthony Carthusiana) wears a hood all the time to shield his eyes from being seen or seeing things he should not. It is very hard to roleplay wearing a hood, because you've got the whole problem of trying to convey emotions such as sadness and happiness without having to go to extremes of these without using your eyes.

Of course...people also should wear hoods when it rains, from an RP POV.

Not everyone is a Dark Cultist or sneak-thief.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

HolyKnight wrote:((1337........)) posted on the town board.
I did nothing, I swear!

*Cough* Personally, I think disguising yourself and refusing to identify yourself for a person of authority is reason enough to be arrested by the guard IG, I think it was in the law somewhere, but I never catch up to the recent events. However, I do agree that if someone -is- disguised in some way, that the good guys show respect and not show a large part of their number in the town board.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

Korm Kormsen wrote:
Fooser: Just PK them.
I agree with Fooser.
Oh...
I fully agree with this. i will wear a hood all the friggin time. this way people will try to PK me and I can do it back and get tons of good stuff...I LOVE FREE STUFF!
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Well, if you want to identify him...you could givfe him a nickname, and when you see him again say...Oh there is the guy that did such and so. Thats how I handle most issues.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

Vern Kron wrote:Well, if you want to identify him...you could givfe him a nickname, and when you see him again say...Oh there is the guy that did such and so. Thats how I handle most issues.
Give a nickname if you want but if they change their appearance then you have no way of rcognizing them. thats why people are complaining.