Inactive mage teachers / Inaktive Magierlehrer

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:And like I have said before: Those PO-mages who feel 'that they have worked for nothing' now really are quite selfish and sad people. Lets keep the not-working system and make everyone wait because I had to wait too.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I liked Haedrians idea strangely.
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

Nitram wrote:
Mr. Cromwell wrote:And like I have said before: Those PO-mages who feel 'that they have worked for nothing' now really are quite selfish and sad people. Lets keep the not-working system and make everyone wait because I had to wait too.
I didn't work, I had fun. And it's selfish of those, who don't give the new teachers a chance. Also, it would be nice if the Mage-POs could decide the rules together. And not only a single gm or some of the Staff who actually don't rp a teacher.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Sorry that you don't get the chance. But there has to be a border at some point. The ones before you failed. One allways has to suffer.
Taeryon Silverlight

Nitram wrote:Sorry that you don't get the chance. But there has to be a border at some point. The ones before you failed. One allways has to suffer.
Allright then. You said that it will take some time for you to make these NPCs. How about that. You temporarily put in the rules that I suggested and give us the chance to show that we can do it until you've finished that NPC-stuff. And when we can make everybody happy until that day, you forget about the NPCs or limit them to some easy Spells (f.e MES PEN, LHOR HEPT/RA and ORL KAH)
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

We started to rework the magic system. Who tells you that there will be a MES PEN? :P
Taeryon Silverlight

I said for example. So what do you say to my idea?
Executor

Post by Executor »

Listen, I dont say this because I think its unfair that others dont have to wait. I've been saying this for all the time I have been waiting too. My point is, do we really want lots of mages?
Taeryon Silverlight

If they actually have an idea how the magic works and use that knowledge for rp gain and not only know about the engine, I don't have a prob with many mages.
Executor

Post by Executor »

Taeryon Silverlight wrote:If they actually have an idea how the magic works and use that knowledge for rp gain and not only know about the engine, I don't have a prob with many mages.
I do.
Amira Ranevskaya

Post by Amira Ranevskaya »

Damien plays a mage teacher. I think he just wants to make sure that they know who is active or not.

I agree with Taeryon though. It may be a good idea for mage or mage to be players to decide something. Plus the last teachers may have failed, but since the teachers to be have gone through this they may be less likely to skip town as they know what it is like. Alex has already started to teach and Taeryon will start teaching soon, neither will run off, I know that.

Personally I wouldn't mind an NPC who can get people started, but I still feel that it is a good idea to have some sort of player controled mage teachers. I personally am willing to wait for a mage player to teach. I'm here to rp and enjoy it, not learn from an NPC who won't rp back.

The system isn't perfect. But I garentee if you take away player mage teachers completely and make it solely an NPC someone will suffer. Most likely the staff from loss of players.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The system isn't perfect. But I garentee if you take away player mage teachers completely and make it solely an NPC someone will suffer. Most likely the staff from loss of players.
Now the second time. Player teachers are NOT REMOVED. You even get advantages as student of a player teacher, compared to a NPC teached person.

Nitram
Amira Ranevskaya

Post by Amira Ranevskaya »

A) Who said I was talking to you specifically?

B) That is how everyone else seems to be understanding the situation. It sounds as if mage teachers are being removed, hence why everyone is getting defencive. Expecialy mage teachers or mage teachers to be.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Newbies usually will not wait a year until they can play the role they want to.

They wait half an hour, then they abandon the game for good.
This is true. My original approach to Illarion when I first started playing ages ago, was to be a mage. My original character sucked and had crappy stats. So I recreated him as an elf, with the proper stats.

Now three years later, my elf can speak ancient perfectly. Thats it. I have really given up on him ever learning magic, even though thats what he is built for. Now he just crafts things and RP's.

My only reason for giving up is because the majority of students chosen know the PO on MSN or some other chat system, and thats why they are chosen as students. Some n00b who just starts the game is not gone to be picked. Not because he does not RP well, because he does not know anyone.

I had the same problem for ages. I did not use the forums. I did not have MSN. Finally, I gave in. I have noticed since I started using MSN many more opportunities to learn magic. You can also send daily messages to mage teachers on MSN saying tech me magic or I break your legs.

Either way it is more effective. Just RPing a mage really has no effect IG, except to get you PKed by warriors who do not like magic users. Especially since you can not cast crap.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Richard Cypher wrote:My only reason for giving up is because the majority of students chosen know the PO on MSN or some other chat system, and thats why they are chosen as students. Some n00b who just starts the game is not gone to be picked. Not because he does not RP well, because he does not know anyone.
Did not have her original mage teacher on msn, nor chatted in the forum, however DID RP with char, sent in application, and made an effort to see char ig.
Most original students were picked because they saw char ig.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

Kaila Galathil wrote:
Richard Cypher wrote:My only reason for giving up is because the majority of students chosen know the PO on MSN or some other chat system, and thats why they are chosen as students. Some n00b who just starts the game is not gone to be picked. Not because he does not RP well, because he does not know anyone.
Did not have her original mage teacher on msn, nor chatted in the forum, however DID RP with char, sent in application, and made an effort to see char ig.
Most original students were picked because they saw char ig.
Ehhh false. I frequently played my elf IG for a year and a half. Finally, got an ancient book. Played another 6 to 9 months, of IG active time with RPing and what not with mages and nothing. I have said this for ages. If I ever did become a mage, I would become a teacher. I am also an active player of Illarion. I play every day. I would eventually become a teacher. What we need is active people for teachers.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Well the main problem with some people is main chars.

People have their "extra" mage chars who only pop up when there's a chance to be taught. The best way is to simply be active with the scholar char. And don't anyone DARE tell me that it's impossible to play a mage att char with no runes, or impossible to have fun because I did this for years and had no problems doing anything.

You can't expect to turn up once in a blue moon with an inactive char who noone knows as a result of this and randomly be taught.

(And no I'm not aiming this at you Chris so don't get defensive.)
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

AlexRose wrote:Well the main problem with some people is main chars.

People have their "extra" mage chars who only pop up when there's a chance to be taught. The best way is to simply be active with the scholar char. And don't anyone DARE tell me that it's impossible to play a mage att char with no runes, or impossible to have fun because I did this for years and had no problems doing anything.

You can't expect to turn up once in a blue moon with an inactive char who noone knows as a result of this and randomly be taught.

(And no I'm not aiming this at you Chris so don't get defensive.)
Screw it I am getting defensive. No not really. Will's point is right. Only active players will even be noticed. Another main reason I should have added for why no one picked me for a pupil when I was active more is because there were no teachers. There wre even less active teachers then, compared to now. So I agree we need something to change this about.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

If you are going trough this, at least make the teaching room opened for everyone or just remove the teaching penalty and demands, letting you teach at any level(my personal favorite) .
Making the difference between npc and player thought runes, would also be a good idea.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Females find teachers easier than males :p The teachers want cyber buddies.
Executor

Post by Executor »

Chris' point about how one gets a teacher, is true to some extent, sadly. However that is the only real prolbem I think we have with the teaching system at the moment. Is it really better that 50% of the Illa chars are mages, than to have a little less players?

I supose we might as well see how the new system is like before we continue this discussion. Could be good;)
Taeryon Silverlight

Richard Cypher wrote:
Estralis Seborian wrote:Newbies usually will not wait a year until they can play the role they want to.

They wait half an hour, then they abandon the game for good.
This is true. My original approach to Illarion when I first started playing ages ago, was to be a mage. My original character sucked and had crappy stats. So I recreated him as an elf, with the proper stats.

Now three years later, my elf can speak ancient perfectly. Thats it. I have really given up on him ever learning magic, even though thats what he is built for. Now he just crafts things and RP's.

My only reason for giving up is because the majority of students chosen know the PO on MSN or some other chat system, and thats why they are chosen as students. Some n00b who just starts the game is not gone to be picked. Not because he does not RP well, because he does not know anyone.

I had the same problem for ages. I did not use the forums. I did not have MSN. Finally, I gave in. I have noticed since I started using MSN many more opportunities to learn magic. You can also send daily messages to mage teachers on MSN saying tech me magic or I break your legs.

Either way it is more effective. Just RPing a mage really has no effect IG, except to get you PKed by warriors who do not like magic users. Especially since you can not cast crap.
Not true. The only PO I knew of the teachers was Djironnyma. And it wasn't him who took Taeryon as a student. In fact, I added Chris to my contactlist on msn about 4 weeks after he had taken Taer as a student.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Bare in mind children, the population won't become largely mages. If many people get taught magic then at first we will have many mages training, learning and doing their lessons, etc.

After they know everything there is probably a large chance they will get bored and switch chars alot. Mages can't do too many fun things alone remember.

Though we do get the few mages that are main chars.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Eh, well, I might have a little idea on lower level runes for the new system.

Say, you have to do an npc quest, it gives you the rune, yet a player teacher has to teach it to you. (Either an item you can not give away, or some other proof of it which the teacher could see.)
2 runes(maybe 3?) per adept per week(so theoreticly by ooc rules a teacher can have as many adepts as he wants), but anyone who appears with the runes and rp's a tiny bit, will be allowed to get it.

It would still require some teachers, but would checkfor ability to rp a little bit the first time a rune is taught to an adept.
It would cut down the waiting list for people searching for teachers quite a bit I think. (assuming there remain about 3 teachers)

Just a possible idea. :wink:
Llama

Post by Llama »

I sincerly like kevin's idea.
Halvdan

Post by Halvdan »

Mhh, vielleicht mach ich doch noch einen Magierlehrling, oder lasse meinen Char Magie erlernen. Das könnte der Nordmark sowohl missfallen andererseits aber auch dabei helfen, drohende Feinde abzuwehren, wer weiss.

Sorry Kormsen, für dieses Post aber das ist nunmal so, ich denke ernsthaft darüber nach.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Mage teachers were supposed to make sure that their students can RP.
How can you judge if someone RPs or not, if you did not meet him ingame ? I Never accepted apprentices i did not meet ingame before. Same to all other mage teachers usually. No RP, No magic - that's how it was meant to be.
Taeryon Silverlight

Du willst Halvdan ja wohl nicht ernsthaft zum Magier machen oder? Tut mir leid aber jeder der einen Handwerkskrieger-Char als Magielehrling aufnimmt sollte geprügelt werden bis er nicht mehr stehen kann.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

So instead of having a lesson and the teacher teaching you, a teacher gives you something and you get taught by an npc?

Riiight...

This does NOT encourage rp, and it doesn't help the problem. If someone can't be bothered to cast 2 spells a week, why would they be bothered asking the gms for a special item and giving them to a student twice a week...?

And there are 6 active mage teachers.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I did not say that, I said, you do a quest to get something, then go to a teacher with it, and the teacher will after a bit of rp agree to teach it to you, If they want to teach by npc's completely, it'll be even less rp, I just found an inbetween example.

A teacher can still rp a bit with his adepts to make sure they can, but more adepts can be handled, alex. :wink: