Discussion: Building Prices

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Discussion: Building Prices

Post by Llama »

I beleive, that the prices for building, are a tiny bit too high. Before I start the arguments for why they should (in my opinion) be reduced, I shall bring some 'proof'.

I designed a small shack, 5X5 floor space, with brick walls, parquet, a tiled roof, a table and two chairs and a bed. A Basic Design

I then calculated the price for building something like this...
This is in my opinion, the most possible 'basic' 'house' you can create. (Assuming you don't pay recovery cost)

The Grand Total was for: 104.8 silver coins, 1320 Brickstones, 660 Nails.. and a lot more.
(For breakdown... Click Here)

Now in my opinion, something as basic as that, shouldn't cost 105 silver coins. I KNOW houses are a good money sink, however with a price like that for a very basic house, few people will even BOTHER saving up for it. A fighter can buy the best armour on the market for less, and its more useful then a house.

Also, it promotes a degree of powergaming. I LIKE the resource collecting, that bit is fun, but to get 105 silver coins (not to mention brickstones), you're going to need to work a lot.

Again, I am NOT talking about a mansion or a house with tools in it and decorations, I'm talking about a 5X5 shack with a bed and a basic table and two chairs.

In my opinion, if the prices were reduced by say, 50%, there would be more people ready to buy a house, and more interaction to get a house.

Even as a money sink, its better to sell more cheaper, then sell 1 house for a lot of cash (hooray for Ford).

Agree? Disagree?

Discuss.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Silas Farron wrote:P.S.: I think it should be allowed to build for single persons outside the towns as well...
I think thats made to prevent people building house/workshops near the mines, and to encourage people entering guilds.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Then make a rule that you can't build near mines (Even though Garon got to for some reason) and that you have to be part of a guild (Not own it and they have no part in the building in terms of ownership). That would take out the ridiculous 3 month waiting period.
Last edited by Julius on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

First of, i think the building prices are fine. The problem is of a different kind.

The buildings are the big and great way to get money out of the game. And that will never change.

We discussed that the reward for fighters and for new craftmans ( and at some crafts all time ) is really small and most time not profitable.

I'm not sure, but i think a slightly increase of the reward of money for fighters and craftmans from the npcs ( while still keeping the trade from player to player in favor ) will result in a major increase of the new builded houses and so the "active money" in the game will even decrease if the money flow into the game is not increased to much.

There are only 2 problems.
1. What has to be changed?
2. Who works out a working concept?

For this a change of NPC prices and monster drops would be needed ( again ). But i think that would be a better way then just lowering the house prices.

Nitram
Ortrud

Post by Ortrud »

I think cheaper houseprices will bring a lot of little buildings everywhere.
Do you think this is good?
I don`t think so, in my opinion, there are enough buildings in the game.
Also if someone want`s his char to be owner of a house, the char should work really hard for this, a single silversteal armour costs about 25 silver, so i think 105 silvers for a complete house, also if a small one, is cheap enough.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Ortrud wrote:I think cheaper houseprices will bring a lot of little buildings everywhere.
Do you think this is good?
I don`t think so, in my opinion, there are enough buildings in the game.
I think, that if more people have houses, more people will become citizens of towns, and more people will be 'interested' in what's goign on in their town. It'll also give the government more options, for example to build cheap 'flats' (insulae) for people who can't afford a house ect...
--
@Nitram:

Could you just decrease the money, and increase the 'resources'? Gathering resources is fun, especially if you do it in a group. Grinding your skills for money, is not.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I realize the housing is good for the economy, but the difference in prices could also be made up by adding the more expensive furniture to the game. Some of this could be done without needing more graphics (there is also a lot of 3D graphics available free that could be easily modified for furniture, decorations, carpets etc.). I would like to see a lot more buildings with the towns being larger. But also think they should not be allowed over a certain size for single dwelling homes. Eventually expanding things such as tailoring to make curtains for homes etc. would be good for the economy also.

When I first joined Illa, one of my first thoughts was it was an awfully small town with only 4-5 buildings and I just assumed there were bigger towns.

Just throwing out some ideas...

It would also be nice to see a little difference in the towns.... for instance, any halfling buying in Greenbriar, would get a little discount, any elf buying in Tol the same? Maybe make the houses just in Trolls Bane cheaper then the other towns to encourage building if want chars to move there?

Have one of the towns fairly "safe" and another with occasional NPC's spawned that would have to be killed?

Rather then building outside the town, possibly expanding the town's limits.

Another idea is to make owning a home worthwhile. (this is only if want to encourage more building that is). Suppose... and someone will have to decide if this would be a negative effect on the pack animals... but suppose any homeowner can pick to have a depot from any town? So, if I lived in Tb, could pick a tb depot or say a gb depot?