Mages

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tanistian_Kanea

Mages

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

This is simply wondering what ACTIVE mage teachers are still on gobiath. I wonder because if there are none left then perhaps have a few new people "learn" magic enough to teach the way the old ones did, or perhaps have some of the gm's who play have a mage teacher.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I'm guessing that the unholy bastard-child is dying.. A month and it's "I told you so!" :P :wink:
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Magic is a lost cause
Damien

Post by Damien »

I'm very active concerning teaching, teaching three runes to three apprentices every week even if i am not constantly playing through the week itself.
At least Samantha is as active, and each of her students and one, if not two, of mine want to teach too when they are finished learning themselves.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Damien wrote:I'm very active concerning teaching, teaching three runes to three apprentices every week even if i am not constantly playing through the week itself.
At least Samantha is as active, and each of her students and one, if not two, of mine want to teach too when they are finished learning themselves.
As a temporary student awaiting to find who the three permanent/final students will be, I understand that Lady Meryadeles is on an extended vacation for awhile. So the teaching is on hold also. For the three that will be the final students and begin to learn runes, hopefully classes will begin soon. For the others, hopefully after a wait, they will also be able to take a class. I am very interested in teaching however, and hope to in the future.
Michael Isman

Post by Michael Isman »

You realize you don't have to call Patric 'Lady Meryadeles' out of Illarion, right?
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

Michael Isman wrote:You realize you don't have to call Patric 'Lady Meryadeles' out of Illarion, right?
Aye. We prefer to call him "LEAVE ALREADY!!"
Michael Isman

Post by Michael Isman »

Be nice, Joshua.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

quote from RPG thread Mar. 19 Samantha Meryadeles was seen how she took a ship to Lor-Angur at the harbor of Gobaith. She had luggages for several weeks with her.
quote from off topic thread Mar. 22 I think I am really losing the fun at Illarion. Just sometimes i find good roleplay with chars from whom i know that it will be good roleplay. IF i find them and if they dont hide already somewhere having rp in small groups.
everything else ist just "evil, criminal, fighting, training" etc. it makes no fun.
i think i may quit illarion...it currently isn't really all the stress and troubles.
Lady Meryadeles has been out of game for a bit now. Before she left she was teaching a temporary magery class with 7 students. After the temporary class she is going to pick her 3 apprentices. However, she left the isle and said she would choose her students when she returns however it has been 18 (RL) days with no word. So activity has been postponed for the moment. For all her students I think it is safe to say I hope the second quote is not true. Every student in Samantha's class are good RPers and it would be a shame for them to lose their chance at becoming a mage.
You realize you don't have to call Patric 'Lady Meryadeles' out of Illarion, right?
Yes we do realize that we dont have to call her Lady Meryadeles. We choose too out of respect ((even if it is OOC)).
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

HolyKnight wrote:respect
\
Get off mah illarions.
Calenleia

Post by Calenleia »

My teacher is teaching allready... :)
Not often, but he is...
Learning needs time!

Cal
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

i am back again. i just needed a break. samantha will announce her students this weekend.
po silas. samantha can give you the runes. she can give them a teacher without the need of teaching him other stufdf first ;)

so tell me when you have time and she gives you the missing runes.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

YAAAAAAAAY

Finally.

And I've only had to wait 20 months for this!

:D
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

You, Alex, are a more patient person than I.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

My warlock was hit hard. He only had two runes, but he already had light green commotio. But then the death bug hit and then all of that went bye bye. So I said screw it because they wouldn't restore what the death bug took. So I deleted him. *shrugs* And some of the current IG mages were inactive from the start. Yet they got priority because they were chosen before. I've said from the start that the Mage System is Biased. And I stick to that point. They don't do anything to change it, even if there were viable ways suggested to improve it.
Asesino

Post by Asesino »

am back. but need to study and do stuff so I will be 50 % back. joy joy. I still have one more student to take
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Curently the mage sistem is crap. Bug over bugs and spells that were supposed to be strong, do shit.
Patience my young padawans, the Force will fix it all :wink:
Tanistian_Kanea

ok, I am not sure about everyone else but there are to few mage teachers and I have know idea what they are doing, and quite simply don't really care. however with only two mage teachers as , at least, a temporary solution to the mage system is put out a couple more mage teachers. i have yet to be on when a mage teacher is with the ONE exception of events like slave trader. so perhaps if we do get new mage teachers some that are on when the others aren't.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:ok, I am not sure about everyone else but there are to few mage teachers and I have know idea what they are doing, and quite simply don't really care. however with only two mage teachers as , at least, a temporary solution to the mage system is put out a couple more mage teachers. i have yet to be on when a mage teacher is with the ONE exception of events like slave trader. so perhaps if we do get new mage teachers some that are on when the others aren't.
Considering Djironnyma is dead, the active mages are:

Athian, Damien, Duchan, Samantha, Sideon, & Silas

6 teachers, 18 pupils.
If we assume half the students will drop out/not be taught then that's 15 mages left, as well as Avalyon and possibly others. If we assume ALL of the students will be taught, that's 24 students+Avalyon and possibly others.

Then comes the change from "Omg li3k n0t enough mages"

to:

"OMG TOO MANY MAGES OMG DEY ALWAYS WIN OVERPOWERED NO WAI"

We shall see how it all rolls out.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

A permanent fix to the mage system, as I've mentioned before when they were doing the magic academy thing--which failed and which is essentially the same thing as this, and essentially run by the same people--would be to trust that the players came to Illarion in the first place because they know how to roleplay as wizards and put it into players' hands the ability to simply choose to be a mage, sort of like how it was pre-wipe.

Afterall, you've spent now years making and tweaking this system; do you really think it's right that it's only in the hands of the few privy, or do you want to see what you've coded come to life?

Make sure to ignore this proposal. =)

Edited to add:

Keep in mind that eventually you'll be implementing bard, druid, and priest magic. You either have to continue using systems like this, and risk the hassle, or you have to give the option to the players to choose to become what they want to become, and not to a few player-mentors.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

- Spam deleted -

Arien
Tanistian_Kanea

another thing is that you could make it this system a little easier by
A, making it easier for the teachers so they may have more then 3 students and B, have teachers that are NOT so freakin finicky about EVERYTHING, this one is directed at samantha, when i first role played with her i was an elf and got lectured on saying hello properly, if i can't even say hello how the hell am i supposed to get her to teach me, even then the teachers will most likely put their friends that want to learn first. and as for like 25 mages, that would be better, however 4 out of 6 teachers have yet to be claimed as active, so that brings your number down to about, 9.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:another thing is that you could make it this system a little easier by
A, making it easier for the teachers so they may have more then 3 students and B, have teachers that are NOT so freakin finicky about EVERYTHING, this one is directed at samantha, when i first role played with her i was an elf and got lectured on saying hello properly, if i can't even say hello how the hell am i supposed to get her to teach me, even then the teachers will most likely put their friends that want to learn first. and as for like 25 mages, that would be better, however 4 out of 6 teachers have yet to be claimed as active, so that brings your number down to about, 9.
Damien, Silas and Samantha have all posted here. They are all active.

Vilarion is a GM, and you could hardly say he is inactive. Then there's Athian, who is also active, just didn't post here and finally Duchan, who is also active and also didn't post here.

And I disagree. 25 active mages would be chaos.

And Samantha is an extremely well played character; exactly how a mage should be played; so it's not our fault if your character doesn't comply with how mages should be roleplayed. That's the way it goes. Fairies aren't evil, weaklings aren't fighters, vampires don't exist and mages are intelligent, prudent and perhaps arrogant. In real life you wouldn't teach someone you think unworthy to be taught. In fact; when my character came to Gobaith, noone would have thought he'd be a mage. He was a disgrace. But now, things look differently. If you want a mage character, try taking another role or perhaps your character should either go to a different teacher or act within the guidelines for the time being. Many evil mages have earned magic by pretending to be good; your character could pretend to be the ideal mage.

And did you ever stop to think A. This isn't a single player game, you have to think of others and B. More than 3 students is over the top? Say everyone had 8 students. Oh, I'm sure everyone would LOVE to see 48 students, 6 mages and the others, making over 54 mages running round. The fighters would be extremely happy and the feeling of magic being a special, secluded thing only for the very best would be gone.

I had to wait 20 months. Why don't you try waiting too? Your characters wouldn't make very good mages if they aren't prepared to wait.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

AlexRose wrote:I had to wait 20 months. Why don't you try waiting too? Your characters wouldn't make very good mages if they aren't prepared to wait.
You are completely wrong with our approach on the sitiuation. Even though your patience is commendable, it should not be taken as the face value and excpet that EVERYONE should have to endure that kind of silly waiting. It's not the character who is willing to wait, it's the ludicrous, ridiculous waiting times that the players have to endure that literally piss me off.

The fact that you have waited and played the character so long without getting the things you deserve is a - (biiig red minus) in my books to anyone who is supposed to be responsible for the mage system. Holy shit - how did that happen? It's a mistake regardless of the way you turn it! Archmages are made with less effort and dedication than that. Attention gamemasters, get your shit together! :wink: :P

Why hasn't William gotten the runes in any reasonable time? I doubt that any mage has gone through the same kind of literal shit to get his skills and runes than him. Or is it just because he just patiently waits and doesn't grovel to get them? Or is the character just seen "unsuitable" by whoever that is running the show and hence has to go through this nonsensical waiting?

Gahh..
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Better times will come, young Skywalker(s) :wink:
But in the end.. you shall all join the dark side :twisted: :P

Translation: the magic system is crap, will be change soon and you'll all like it :wink:
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

anyone know when priest, bard, and druid magic will be implemented?
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

I can tell somewhat...

First the tutorial will be done, and after that priests and druids. All this will definately happen before a 100th rewrite of the magic system. Consider that being put at the very end of the line.

Vilarion
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:Better times will come, young Skywalker(s) :wink:
But in the end.. you shall all join the dark side :twisted: :P

Translation: the magic system is crap, will be change soon and you'll all like it :wink:
What's the bets that Samantha, Silas, Athian etc. won't like it? ;)
Talaena Landessi

Post by Talaena Landessi »

Talaena Landessi wrote:I think magic should be as common as people want it to be. Let there be those who learn from teachers, let there be those who learn from guardians, and let those who learn by a gm character......It should be accessable to anyone who has the ability to gather it. If someone wants to pay someone to teach them the rune; fine. IF someone is nice enough to teach someone for free; fine. If someone is willing to go on a quest to summon the guardians with the proper staffs and then give them the proper item; COOL!

Magic should be available to anyone who is willing to persue it. Not to mention that your still gonna have to go through the process of picking the right attributes and then train it.

A Mage-Fighter should be able to max out his fighting skills and his mage skills, wanna know why? Becouse he put in the f-ing time to do it and becouse he sacrificed his attribute configuration to be able to be effective as one.

((NOTE: I do think that you should AT LEAST be able to speak ancient pretty fluently before you can even attempt to go after runes.))
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Talaena Landessi wrote:
Talaena Landessi wrote:I think magic should be as common as people want it to be. Let there be those who learn from teachers, let there be those who learn from guardians, and let those who learn by a gm character......It should be accessable to anyone who has the ability to gather it. If someone wants to pay someone to teach them the rune; fine. IF someone is nice enough to teach someone for free; fine. If someone is willing to go on a quest to summon the guardians with the proper staffs and then give them the proper item; COOL!

Magic should be available to anyone who is willing to persue it. Not to mention that your still gonna have to go through the process of picking the right attributes and then train it.

A Mage-Fighter should be able to max out his fighting skills and his mage skills, wanna know why? Becouse he put in the f-ing time to do it and becouse he sacrificed his attribute configuration to be able to be effective as one.

((NOTE: I do think that you should AT LEAST be able to speak ancient pretty fluently before you can even attempt to go after runes.))
So by that logic: Oh I want to be an astronaut; hell, I don't need the right qualifications, characteristics and skills to be one; I'm persuing it!!!

No.

Oh and also:
IF someone is nice enough to teach someone for free; fine. If someone is willing to go on a quest to summon the guardians with the proper staffs and then give them the proper item; COOL!
Wtf? This isn't Final Fantasy.