How can I improve my RP?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ganon Harper

How can I improve my RP?

Post by Ganon Harper »

Nitram wrote: I fear that topic will turn into a amazing flame war too, since 90% of the players of Illarion do not accept constructive critisim against their roleplay, because they think they loose their face by doing it.
This quote is from a previous topic and as a player interested in how there role play can be improved it intrigued me. If this topic like the last is destined for tha flames then sorry for even starting it, but I think if the community can try to be mature and accept criticism this post would be most potentially beneficial. I guess after my post give me feed back and ask about yours if anyone’s interested.

PO Zeph, free spirited Sirani follower/bard ...basically hippy character. Asking any that’s played with him so far. Is my role play enjoyed? Are there any big improvements you recommend? Is Zeph’s speech acceptable for the game? ex. I often use common terms and slang with ought realizing it "what’s up my man" "peace brother" so on.
Dante Merienor

Post by Dante Merienor »

yeah i had enjoyed the little rp with him although it was once. i think you do play him well. Obviously there are always possible improvements, but I do not have any in mind right now, also since we talked once.

The thing about using a little slang, I kind of liked it :wink: ...a little different
Thanrían Diorath

Post by Thanrían Diorath »

Use capital letters ^^
Ganon Harper

Post by Ganon Harper »

:P Now thinkin about it I usually am to lazy to bother capitalizing in #mes...or most speech for that matter. Alright thanks ill keep that in mind.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Although how using capital letters improves rolepay is beyond me actually....
You created your character, you are the one who knows how they should act and feel and react. Asking others really wont help in my opinion.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Ska can improve his rp by signing his post one line under what he wrote. Not exactly below it.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Capitilizing does help. For instance, my friend from school NEVER capitilizes and as a result his rp comes across as poor. Seriously, his lack of punctuation and poor spelling makes his rp look terrible, even though it's pretty decent in content.
Thanrían Diorath

Post by Thanrían Diorath »

Thanrían Diorath looks at skallib and smiles slightly as he nods in greeting. "good day, lizard, would you mind showing me the way to the tavern? i am slightly lost." he asks, then falling silent, probably waiting for an answer.

Or

Thanrían Diorath looks at Skallib and smiles slightly as he nods in greeting. "Good day, lizard. Would you mind showing me the way to the tavern? I am slightly lost.." He asks, then falling silent, probably awaiting for an answer.

I personally think the second one looks better..
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

I should try these capital letters.... :wink:
Grant

Post by Grant »

AlexRose wrote:Capitilizing does help. For instance, my friend from school NEVER capitilizes and as a result his rp comes across as poor. Seriously, his lack of punctuation and poor spelling makes his rp look terrible, even though it's pretty decent in content.
Dannon or whatever plays?
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Perhaps it looks better for you, but your char and others cannot see writing on a computer screeen; so really it should make no difference.
Capitalization comes down more to punctuation and grammar, which is courtesy, but not even connected to rolepay.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Grant wrote:
AlexRose wrote:Capitilizing does help. For instance, my friend from school NEVER capitilizes and as a result his rp comes across as poor. Seriously, his lack of punctuation and poor spelling makes his rp look terrible, even though it's pretty decent in content.
Dannon or whatever plays?
Who's Dannon?

Well anyway this is an example.

X: well i remember growing up with you ozwald and
X grins a familier grin
X: i will be fine
X: look im fine
X: concintraits on the fire
X: well i am notsure
X allowes himself to be hit
X: well i must get used to magic attacks if i have to be hit
X tries to form an ice ball but it immediatly dissapperes
X: will i am a little hungry i will just get a bite of ham

etc.

His rp is fine, he started playing 4 days after me, but as you can see; it doesn't come off great. This was on thursday. No, these aren't specifically picked out, there are no lines taken out from between except when I speak or other people speak. I won't name him though.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:Perhaps it looks better for you, but your char and others cannot see writing on a computer screeen; so really it should make no difference.
Capitalization comes down more to punctuation and grammar, which is courtesy, but not even connected to rolepay.
Courtesy is never bad, and as it is part of respect, it's even good.
Respect is, in my eyes something this community here direly needs.

Besides, what harm in capitalizing letters? It'll only do you good later on, if you need it.

Do it for some time, and it'll become a habit, just like blind typing.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

I actually capitalize, I just feel to say it is bad roleplay to not do so is wrong.
And when did I say courtesy is bad? I think by my post I implied that it is good to use capitals, or at least, I meant to.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

I enjoy the roleplay with Zeph, while punctuation and capitalization would help, I don't really mind to much ^^
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Azuros wrote:I enjoy the roleplay with Zeph, while punctuation and capitalization would help, I don't really mind to much ^^
LOL!! That was deliberate wasn't it?
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Now, just out of curiosity: What could I do to improve my roleplay?
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:
Azuros wrote:I enjoy the roleplay with Zeph, while punctuation and capitalization would help, I don't really mind too much ^^
LOL!! That was deliberate wasn't it?
What was deliberate? >.> My typo? *fixes it*
Grivijak
Location: In the temple thinking up methods to steal Keikan's Lockpick.

Post by Grivijak »

you could join me, and my team of super heroes of ultimate roleplay (Which immediately get banned due to silly names like captain so and so)

This will give you instant uber rp.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I have been trying to do these things lately. I think they help in most Role Play situations.

1. Don't just sit idle in a dead spot in a conversation. Use a #me of what you look at or what your facial expression might be. I found doing more of this helps get a conversation going again.

2. Don't stand idle near a wall or something else. An if you do, try and do something like #me is admiring the fire, or #me seems to be waiting for someone.

Just things I try and do....
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:Now, just out of curiosity: What could I do to improve my roleplay?
Cyber more often? Practise makes perfect.
Ganon Harper

Post by Ganon Harper »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:Now, just out of curiosity: What could I do to improve my roleplay?
Who all do you play? Out of my many chars im not sure ive ever role played with you.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Eddy cybers everyday.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Grant wrote:Eddy cybers everyday.
That may be so, but you must not fall into the trap of rp'ing with the same group every time.
You should try to cyber equally between females, males, orcs and lizard. Oh and Borgate of course.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

I have very much enjoyed Zeph's RP and have no suggestions except he may need to give more lessons with his lute... :wink:
Grant

Post by Grant »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:
Grant wrote:Eddy cybers everyday.
That may be so, but you must not fall into the trap of rp'ing with the same group every time.
You should try to cyber equally between females, males, orcs and lizard. Oh and Borgate of course.
It actually works now with Borgate.

Grant Rothman slips off Borgate's trosuers.

Borgate Northoff: Arr!

:wink:
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Wow, some reputation I have gained. Haha. :D

EDIT:
Not that I expected any serious replies in the first place; I know that I am an awesome roleplayer and that I rule.. and that is enough for me. :P
Last edited by Mr. Cromwell on Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ganon Harper

Post by Ganon Harper »

Kaila Galathil wrote:I have very much enjoyed Zeph's RP and have no suggestions except he may need to give more lessons with his lute... :wink:
I already warned ya, dont let Kaila hear that love song of his or at the next lesson she will certainly be running her fingers over his >.>
<.<
lute.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

You can improve by going back ingame :P
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

You could join my fanclub, which enables you to wear your 'I <3 Aris' badge IG