Crashes and time zone problems

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Achae Eanstray

Crashes and time zone problems

Post by Achae Eanstray »

((please move if not the correct forum))

It's disconcerting when crashes happen during the time a lot of the PO at my time zone (GMT-6) can play the game and due to the bad time there, can't be fixed right away. Is there anything that can be resolved? Even though the crashes are frustrating, what is worse is knowing that probably ends the game for the evening.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Quite frankly, no there is nothing that can be done (easily). The reason for most crashes/freezes when the americans play is because there are far more people online at those times then any other time, so it actually causes the crashes/freezes.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:Quite frankly, no there is nothing that can be done (easily). The reason for most crashes/freezes when the americans play is because there are far more people online at those times then any other time, so it actually causes the crashes/freezes.
Usually there is less people IG..yesterday there were 12 when the crash occured, the day before there were more but not near as much as earlier in the day..approximately 20 or so.
Grivijak
Location: In the temple thinking up methods to steal Keikan's Lockpick.

Post by Grivijak »

i would say it is just mostly all the time.

I have GMT, and i experience a hell of alot of crashes.
Lianis

Post by Lianis »

I think it's not so much the *number* of crashes Achae is complaining about. It's that no one can restart it through the night.
Grivijak
Location: In the temple thinking up methods to steal Keikan's Lockpick.

Post by Grivijak »

Ah yes, of course.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Oh, my bad also.
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

I blame the government.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Lianis wrote:I think it's not so much the *number* of crashes Achae is complaining about. It's that no one can restart it through the night.
Yes that is the biggest problem, thank you for clarifying.
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

What's required to restart the server when it crashes? If it is something someone could do easily, appoint a person who is usually on at times when the server cannot be restarted, to restart it.

Simple.
Mark Strongarm

Post by Mark Strongarm »

exactly, thats the answer we are waiting for...
I get home at 9:30pm and I'm gmt-5, and for the last few days the server is down more thean 75% of the time.

"It didn't used to be this way (insert name I don't remember here).... it didn't used to be this way at'all."
(spoken in a obi-wan-kanobe kind of voice)
-what is that quote from?
Last edited by Mark Strongarm on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lance Thunnigan

Mark Strongarm wrote:exactly, thats the answer we are waiting for...
I get home at 9:30pm and I'm gmt-5, and for the last few days the server is down more thean 75% of the time.

"It didn't used to be this way.... it didn't used to be this way at'all."
-what is that quote from?
I'm GMT -5 as well. So, tchyea.
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

gmt - 8 here, it sucks...
Lianis

Post by Lianis »

As I believe I may have said somewhere else (or maybe it's just my imagination... it is late after all..) this has been suggested... loudly, and at some length.

At the moment, it does not appear to be forthcoming. All efforts are focused on getting the bugs fixed as they crop up, not scripting or teaching new ways/people to restart the server.
Lance Thunnigan

Lianis wrote:As I believe I may have said somewhere else (or maybe it's just my imagination... it is late after all..) this has been suggested... loudly, and at some length.

At the moment, it does not appear to be forthcoming. All efforts are focused on getting the bugs fixed as they crop up, not scripting or teaching new ways/people to restart the server.
Even so, I'm ecstatic about all the bugfixes and the like.
But it's kind of fucked up when you can't experience them, when the server's dead.
Arkadia Misella

We should organize and riot.
Lance Thunnigan

Arkadia Misella wrote:We should organize and riot.
/Signed
Miru

Post by Miru »

this game is about role playing till the server is back up guess i will role play some sleep

miru
another Gmt - 6 stiff
Arkadia Misella

Get the catapults.

I'll get the sheep.

Prepare for a bloodbath!
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Lance Thunnigan wrote:
Lianis wrote:As I believe I may have said somewhere else (or maybe it's just my imagination... it is late after all..) this has been suggested... loudly, and at some length.

Even so, I'm ecstatic about all the bugfixes and the like.
But it's kind of fucked up when you can't experience them, when the server's dead.
I agree and with the bugs and freezes, I could at least play the game, now I can't (I liked the old version better). :(

Ready for the bloodbath!! :D
Miru

Post by Miru »

revolt .... miru remembers a ton of apple pies left in the tavern from the last night the lights when out....lots of pies to throw.......
Arkadia Misella

Gildon de Vymont

Post by Gildon de Vymont »

There's nothing we can do for now. I guess we'll just have to wait it out untill the staff come to a decision.
Lianis

Post by Lianis »

From what I've been told, it hasn't been the same bug twice that's brought the server down. And really, if you look at it subjectively, it's not so bad:

A crash on average every two hours, let's say (some are more, some less). Take out the average of 8 hours when no one is here to restart it... that's 8 crashes a day. It's been two days since the new interface came online... so about 20 crashes or less. 20 bugs in basically new software really isn't so bad as it sounds.

Yes, it's highly frustrating for us as players... but this is, in the end, beta-software, constantly under development, and a certain number of bugs are to be expected. If anyone else noticed, it's already gotten better... there were a few times tonight that it only froze instead of a full crash (not requiring a manual restart). Another day or two of instability, and hopefully most of the bugs at least will be fixed.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Arkadia Misella

INVADE MY PIRATE PENGUIN FRIENDS!
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Miru

Post by Miru »

What Achae pointed out was the time zone problem... but look at it this way

GMT... 8 crashes for the 16 hours someone is there to reset.. so guessing that they get about 6 hours of the 8 prime time

now over here Gmt-6 as average ..... get on at likely after a reset person has gone to bed and likely would log off before that person was getting up ......so a crash that requires a reset = zero playing time the rest of the night

Someone elsewhere stated that more people where wanted to play the game...if so then what might be needed is to somehow provide 24 hours service but that is just a suggestion.

hoping for the best, and wishing you good luck.....Miru
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

It seems all the Devs and GM's are in GMT and GMT+2 time zones.

Could we get a few in the GMT -5,-6,-7 or -8 timezone please? I'm sure there are some here qualified for the job.

It would help spread out the people available to help fix freezes and crashes.

Another idea may be to start another server, and host an Illarion "English" only version and the old server could host the "German" only version.

I think Illarion needs to expand a little.

How does games like Tibia, with poorer graphics and limited character classes draw so many people? I don't understand it.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I don't like the only english and only german version, you are missing many great persons with such a step and I don't think that we need to expand now, sure we will need soon, but first we should get this problems fixed and its easy to say why tibia and co has so many people, because many just want to kill monster and they like it, Illarion is maybe one of the few games, where you actually need to rp.

But recruting other persons to restart the serv is good.