Balance of Weapons

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Korm Kormsen wrote:one of my chars had a fistfight a couple of days ago. he got three swirlies.
and when learning a new skill, it raises quickly at first...
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Well, if it takes long for everyone to lvl, it's at least fair. That is more than one can say about the weapons system.
Vorg

Post by Vorg »

A slight tinkle would be nice.. ie

Two Handers, more damage
Two weapons, no change
Weapon Shield, more parry ( Currently its pointless using this combination as the parry gained from the shield does not offset the amount of damage taken whilst facing someone with two blades ;) )
Llama

Post by Llama »

*adds to the list*

Wrestling boost... or ability to disarm, or to pin a person down.. or .. something
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Any wrestler could realisticly be killed by any person with some slight skill with a sword. What would the wrestler do? Grab the blade and pull it out of their hand?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Lrmy wrote:Any wrestler could realisticly be killed by any person with some slight skill with a sword. What would the wrestler do? Grab the blade and pull it out of their hand?
Disarm them.

I disarmed a n00b once. He ctrl clicked me then accidently dragged his weapon to the ground. I picked it up and rp holding it at his neck.

Smooth moves.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

What was the point of that post?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Lrmy wrote:What was the point of that post?
Well you COULD disarm someone if you were Dei Gorgeon.

I think if you have a bigassed sword you should be able to knock a little puny blade out of someone's hands.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Cuthalion wrote:Well, if it takes long for everyone to lvl, it's at least fair. That is more than one can say about the weapons system.
Yeah, but considering how I managed to die again due to lag, this is so fucking disheartening. Endless hours wasted. *sigh*

Surefire way to kill desire to play for me.
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

That's the point. Dying is meant to be bad for you!
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Bad for me? That's quite malicious way of looking at things, really. :roll:
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Bad for everyone old man.

And the rolly eye thing :roll:

Dont do it... its brings out the urge in me to shoot something ;)
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Yeah, but the problem is that his statment is true. It's bad for me, the player, who has to do mindnumbingly-boring stuff AGAIN to gain back the skill lost, and not the character (who can shrug it off at will).

:roll: :roll:
:wink:
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

It is your choice to perform such mindnumbingly-boring actions again. You're not forced to do so. Losing the skill is bad for the character, powergaming it back up again is bad for the player.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

And if dieing was seen as a everyday occurance, and the penalty not harsh.. what would be the point at all..

Ask anyone my characters are notorious for dieing, and i never get any good skill as i keep dieing :) i dont complain, at the end of the day its my own fault.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Aristeaus wrote:And if dieing was seen as a everyday occurance, and the penalty not harsh.. what would be the point at all..

Ask anyone my characters are notorious for dieing, and i never get any good skill as i keep dieing :) i dont complain, at the end of the day its my own fault.
I won with my bidaily cloudings. Not been killed by a player since... well about April/May by a bandit char. And before then about January. Been monster killed in the graveyard the day before Christmas and before that... er... July maybe?

And I have all blue skills ^^ ('cept human, common, lute, elf, ancient)

Anyways, why are skills so important to you? Back in the day we used to rp fights (but sometimes there were ctrl click duels admittedly) but basically you could beat anyone with dark blue skills if you rped appropriately. And who cares if you can't take a demon skeleton or something, why do you need to kill them anyway? Before they gave substantial amounts of money we were fine, just deal with it. Whinging won't get your skills back.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Why do we need to kill skeletons?

simple:

when groups go together: "hey, let us battle our way through the graveyard to explore!" there can be great roleplay opportunity. If you cannot kill monsters, you wont get to explore very far. Skills back up roleplay.
Stuikerd

Post by Stuikerd »

and skills make you more powerfull. Everyone will be afraid of you, or they should be :P
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Skills back up roleplay.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Stuikerd wrote:and skills make you more powerfull. Everyone will be afraid of you, or they should be :P
They wouldn't know. If you rp an intimidating character; even if he has blue skills my character may be scared. If you have a character with yellow skills, my character wouldn't know and he wouldn't give you the chance to attack him; so he'd never find out. I don't really give a damn what colour skills your character has, frankly, as long as he's rped well.

And @Retlak I've been down the graveyard before and there's barely anything to comment on. Oh rocks. Oh a building. Oh a river.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

When you play a lich, thats practically the only place there is to go :/

plus it has a challenge to explore.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Retlak wrote:When you play a lich, thats practically the only place there is to go :/

plus it has a challenge to explore.
But Mr Cromwell aint a lich ;)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Lrmy wrote:Any wrestler could realisticly be killed by any person with some slight skill with a sword. What would the wrestler do? Grab the blade and pull it out of their hand?
Erm.. yes
-

Its called disarming, and people who learn martial arts learn to do with to some degree.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

AlexRose wrote:
Aristeaus wrote:And if dieing was seen as a everyday occurance, and the penalty not harsh.. what would be the point at all..

I won with my bidaily cloudings. Not been killed by a player since... well about April/May by a bandit char. And before then about January. Been monster killed in the graveyard the day before Christmas and before that... er... July maybe?

And I have all blue skills ^^ ('cept human, common, lute, elf, ancient)

Anyways, why are skills so important to you? Back in the day we used to rp fights (but sometimes there were ctrl click duels admittedly) but basically you could beat anyone with dark blue skills if you rped appropriately. And who cares if you can't take a demon skeleton or something, why do you need to kill them anyway? Before they gave substantial amounts of money we were fine, just deal with it. Whinging won't get your skills back.
Why are skills so important for me?
Skills back up roleplay.
Bluffing all the time is not much fun, really.

If you intend to play a character that has conflicts with other characters, then chances are that you need skills. Period. Unless the conflicts end with your character losing all the time.. and premeditated outcome is not something that I deem to be particularly interesting.

Sure, you have a character concept that doesn't require skills. Good for you. You RP your fights, that's even better. If we are ever to fight IG, throw me a line OOC and I'll be happy to conform to your needs. Until then, we also have a thing called engine which is heavily dependant on skills. I've yet see a fight being RP'ed, except of one 'fight' between my character and other, which was initiated by yours truly.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

I agree completly, never said i did not. I just think the penalty for death should be harsh, or the concept of dieing will lose its fear.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Aristeaus wrote:I agree completly, never said i did not. I just think the penalty for death should be harsh, or the concept of dieing will lose its fear.
Considering how hard it is to gain skill, I would be more satisfied with something along the lines of a 75% temporary health penalty. That would affect the character a lot more. And piss the players off less, I think.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

We need Temporary penalties, no longer real ones.

Temporary penalties can be fun, for the oponent and the player (new opportunities and he knows he has not lost a long time of training)

Permanent penalties like the current one is rather not wanted, they make people agressive, angry, upset, and make them spend more time training and not roleplaying to get them back.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I can say I agree to the fullest. Permanent penalties are also a factor in the thing I call skill focus, instead of roleplay focus.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Exactly, Train and loose again while a lag you get kicked is really annoying. And my focus is RP, but i need her to train *shrugs*