Library and new players

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Right now though if a new player goes anywhere but Trolls Bane there would be no one to RP with except other new players who also didn't know what to do unless other PO are going to start going to these towns.

pictures Kevin looking for beautiful females on the newbie island and grins
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

stating that, you still seem to think, that even with more players all life in illarion will be centered between shop and tavern in trollsbane.

look around, may be, you will notice, that there are some players, who dont like to stay in this little area to cyber and call it roleplay.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

That's the kind of elitism that we need to see more! Go get them, Korm! :roll:
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

Korm actually is right
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

WickedEwok wrote:Korm actually is right
Actually no. Korm isn't right at all IMHO for many reasons... well like 2... but you get the point.

1. It's traditional to hang around in Troll's Bane. It always has been *the* way to pick up rp.

2. Basically: When 0-20 (20 on a quest. 0 in the morning on a weekend) people would be online on average last year, we all stayed in Troll's Bane and could rp with each other. The other day 50 people were online and I couldn't find ONE person to rp with. Not one. It's flippin' ridiculous. Course that is about to change... well not "about to" change so much as... "will change over a huge period of time". Oh yes and my "up until the new year's resolution" is to rp every single post. See general board for reference.

NEED... APPLE BOARDS... HAMMERS.... SHOVELS...

Foams at the mouth and runs off into the bushes rabidly.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Lots of people have left tb lately, I found that to, TB used to be the only poulated place, yes because there where to few people. People moved away from TB to get away from the noobs and such I guess, and naturally because we now have enough players to populate other places.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:Lots of people have left tb lately, I found that to, TB used to be the only poulated place, yes because there where to few people. People moved away from TB to get away from the noobs and such I guess, and naturally because we now have enough players to populate other places.
MULEAC OT EMOC

Sniggers as he writes his SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE!!!
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

*shrugs and goes to find beautifull females, cracking a whip*

Ooh, greetings miss Kaila! What a pleasant time.
Oh this? No no, just testing if it was still okay, and it is.
*tosses it away, hitting a random cat*
He he he... now, wanna come inside for... a cup of tea?
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

alex,
1. It's traditional to hang around in Troll's Bane. It always has been *the* way to pick up rp.
forget your streetgang traditions!
2. Basically: When 0-20 (20 on a quest. 0 in the morning on a weekend) people would be online on average last year, we all stayed in Troll's Bane and could rp with each other. The other day 50 people were online and I couldn't find ONE person to rp with. Not one. It's flippin' ridiculous. Course that is about to change... well not "about to" change so much as... "will change over a huge period of time". Oh yes and my "up until the new year's resolution" is to rp every single post. See general board for reference.
just move Sir Elderberry's ass a little, and you find other chars!

-----

i don't pretend to be an exellent roleplayer.
but your (and other's) descriptions of the "old and traditional" roleplay seems to me like a group of primadonnas.
i personally find it more interesting to be one of the background ballet.
the more or less ordinary person living on this island.
and there are others, who seem to think similar.
so, if you primadonnas just step down from your clouds, you ma notice us down at ground level.
you should really try. because we are more and more every day.
come, and roleplay with tjalf. you will hear a lot about last years harvest, and similar. 'cause for me, that is roleplay too.
MULEAC OT EMOC
well, without latin knowledge, i would think, you try to express, that you are an emotional mule... :wink:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

It's not Latin, it's english written backwards.

And let's compare something:

There is an amazing government. You are not born at this period of time. The government falls to a crap one. You are born into this and it is all you have ever known.

That doesn't mean the ones who've experianced the original government should just say "Oh well, doesn't matter if the country's s*** now"; aren't we allowed to reminisce and/or complain about the newer, terrible government; having seen the old, brilliant one; reguardless of you being ignorant to it?
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:*shrugs and goes to find beautifull females, cracking a whip*

eyes widen and backs away from Kevin's whip quickly picking up the cat to protect it all the while shaking her head "Uh, no thank you, I don't believe I want any tea today"

If new players are going to continue in the library, perhaps the first and only book they can get, for a certain number of hours is a brief description of how to do ooc, and what kind of rp is expected in the game?

hides on the second floor to study still holding the cat until she can figure out if the first floor is safe to walk through
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Or a book that says:

"Press these keys and read newb! F1 + ESC "
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kaila Galathil wrote:
Kevin Lightdot wrote:*shrugs and goes to find beautifull females, cracking a whip*

eyes widen and backs away from Kevin's whip quickly picking up the cat to protect it all the while shaking her head "Uh, no thank you, I don't believe I want any tea today"

If new players are going to continue in the library, perhaps the first and only book they can get, for a certain number of hours is a brief description of how to do ooc, and what kind of rp is expected in the game?

hides on the second floor to study still holding the cat until she can figure out if the first floor is safe to walk through
Yes; because EVERYBODY reads the books, don't they?/sarc

Noobs won't even know how to read page 2. Some won't even know how to read! The latter ((as in EVERYONE)) won't give a crap about books.

Walks off rolling his eyes.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

alex,

you really are an ***** (no personal insults - Arien)!
i am 54 you are 14 or so, and you tell me, that the good old times were better!!!
just think about, how you hate this type of speech from your elder relatives.
your avatar seems to infect your brain with alzheimer!

:wink:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Korm Kormsen wrote:alex,

you really are an idiot!
i am 54 you are 14 or so, and you tell me, that the good old times were better!!!
just think about, how you hate this type of speech from your elder relatives.
your avatar seems to infect your brain with alzheimer!

:wink:
I was being metaphorical, with the old government being illarion a year ago, the new government being illarion now and birth being time of first play ;) .
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

forget it!
you seemingly didn't even get my point
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Korm Kormsen wrote:forget it!
you seemingly didn't even get my point
I actually don't mind my elder relatives proclaiming their love for the good old days; they're right; our world's terrible. So I take it in and listen to them.
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:Or a book that says:

Maybe that sounds stupid now, but there are some people who don't have the acrobate reader and can't open the manual (I, myself never read it :o )
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

That's why Taeryon is such a crappy char!! nah, just kidding, i love him :D
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:That's why Taeryon is such a crappy char!! nah, just kidding, i love him :D
sais the po of the mage with the "Astmathic-grandma-snickering" :lol: nah, just a.. hm what ever 8)
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Taeryon Silverlight wrote:

Maybe that sounds stupid now, but there are some people who don't have the acrobate reader and can't open the manual (I, myself never read it :o )
Acrobat reader comes with just about every windows computer, and has for god knows how long. 0.o
And it's free...
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:
Taeryon Silverlight wrote:

Acrobat reader comes with just about every windows computer, and has for god knows how long. 0.o
And it's free...
I couldn't open pdfs, I had to download it.

I read the manual before I played the new client. Because I couldn't play the new client as I wasn't allowed online.
Jenna de Grey

Post by Jenna de Grey »

AlexRose wrote:

Noobs won't even know how to read page 2. Some won't even know how to read! The latter ((as in EVERYONE)) won't give a crap about books.

Excuse me, I have been playing Illarion for four days now and have read every book in the library. Let me remind you in case you don't remember that you, too, were once new to this game. Try to be a little nicer and maybe you will have more people to rp with.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Fairies start in Vanima, not trollsbane. and there is no lizard city, just a temple.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Jenna de Grey wrote:
AlexRose wrote:

Excuse me, I have been playing Illarion for four days now and have read every book in the library. Let me remind you in case you don't remember that you, too, were once new to this game. Try to be a little nicer and maybe you will have more people to rp with.
Amen.
But we've had a wave of newbies, and some people just don't expect any good players to pop up, it's not the way it should be, but it happens..

And it's just Alex, he's not to noobfriendly even though he was once the greatest noob around.
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

I have been playing for about a week and i think i have been doing a pretty good job. I have made a lot of friends and i am helping the development of a new guild.
Rainny

Post by Rainny »

Alex is our community whipping post. we beat the crap out of him when he says something stupid. Alot of new players come up to my characters who normally, because of their RP story, wouldn't bother, but, I help them anyway. Alex on the other hand, sends them to the trolls, or tells them stupid stuff that will ruin their fun. End of case :)
Vorg

Post by Vorg »

I would say the shop/cross.

The cross purely so that once ive been clouded i can pummel a new player and get some new armour :p

And the shop as it is the social high point of trollsbane, so put the noobs in a area where other player are likely to be.

And after reading the thread a bit more and having quite a chuckle.

Kormy ;) Yes people roleplay in other areas, but would it not be prudent to give the new players access to NPC's which sell most the items they need to get started. So that they themselves, or another character can set them on thier way.
If i noob started in Varshikar im afraid he would die from ogres or scorpians. If in Greenbriar they would get set upon by female tailors and thier barrage of shoes :p. And in Vanima they would have to listen to Damian preach the meaning of life. And even worse kallahorn, they may decide to join the knighthood :p
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Vorg,

i wasn't very impressed by your statement, till i read this:
And even worse kallahorn, they may decide to join the knighthood :p
then i understood the point, you are stressing.
really nobody should do that. not even to newbies. :wink:

greets,korm
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:
Jenna de Grey wrote:
AlexRose wrote:

Amen.
But we've had a wave of newbies, and some people just don't expect any good players to pop up, it's not the way it should be, but it happens..

And it's just Alex, he's not to noobfriendly even though he was once the greatest noob around.
I'm just being practical. I personally have never come across someone who knew how to read books without having been taught. I myself needed Marie to tell me this. Of course there will be the odd exception; I'm not calling n00bs stupid for this, it's not one of the easier things to work out.

And @Rainny. Do you mean me or a character called Alex? Cos I've never sent someone to trolls, I just explain the rules & commands then let em go.