suggestion on when getting killed

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

abcfantasy

suggestion on when getting killed

Post by abcfantasy »

Wouldn't it be better if after a player dies, he/or she is moved immediately to the yellow cross instead of having to walk it all the way as a spirit?

There can be some little cheating when being a spirit.
What do you think?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Bloody good idea.

That way they do not float around and annoy you.
AlexRose

Re: suggestion on when getting killed

Post by AlexRose »

abcfantasy wrote:Wouldn't it be better if after a player dies, he/or she is moved immediately to the yellow cross instead of having to walk it all the way as a spirit?

There can be some little cheating when being a spirit.
What do you think?
O_o

Me no likey to say the least. I don't agree at all.

And also: Right programming to nearest cross would probably take a while to code and frankly I wouldn't want to spawn in TB cross. Not everyone wants to be in TB. Especially if you've died like right next to Briar or something with good stuff on. Also this could be abused. "Oh long walk to Troll's Bane. Oh well I've got nothing good on me" *gets self killed* back in TB. And ghosts 're good sometimes. For instance, if your friend and you are about to die and you do; you can stand in the path of the NPCs for your friend to escape as you leave. I remember when greater demons attacked grey rose. When I was clouded I could stand in the door so they couldn't get through till everyone was safe, then follow through myself and get ressurected after everyone's safe.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Alex is completely wrong.

This idea helps newbies as well as other players. It also gets rid of the annoyance of people sticking around and bitching ooc about how they want their things back or how they were unfairly killed.

Also, who wants to walk for 20 minutes from some random part of the island they died in?
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

AlexRose wrote:I wouldn't want to spawn in TB cross. Not everyone wants to be in TB.
They could implement something like a 'save point' and you choose in which cross you get resurrected.
AlexRose wrote:Also this could be abused. "Oh long walk to Troll's Bane. Oh well I've got nothing good on me" *gets self killed* back in TB.
Wouldn't that mean a little loss of some skills?
AlexRose wrote:And ghosts 're good sometimes. For instance, if your friend and you are about to die and you do; you can stand in the path of the NPCs for your friend to escape as you leave.
Do you really think this is good? I consider this cheating. I would imagine a spirit to be invisible, or at least you can walk through it, so it shouldn't block the way of others.
Theon

Post by Theon »

Would this not just make death something characters fear less?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Its a good idea because:

N00bs wont get lost forever more as a ghost, they will be instantly at the center location.

People wont stay around and bitch in ooc

It prevents people blocking ghosts like npcs do sometimes.

It means that when i cloud someone town folk wont see a ghost coming and head to where it came from.

Funny enough my undead minion already has this implemented on himself. Different slightly.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

an alternate solution would be to make ghosts invisible to others, and traversable (and cannot talk obviously) although it was be a little more complicated.

It would solve some things but still remain with the prob of having to travel all the way back, and the noobs thing.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

When Greenbriar was attacked by skeletons, some would go to the cross and come back to help so I wouldn't like that idea..Also if you would like someone to be at the cross so you can rp when you get back that would be difficult if invisible. I like it the way it is now except for the possibility that ghosts should be able to move easier then chars an example being when Achae's ghost was surrounded by bandits and couldn't move to the cross, or if a door is closed, the ghost can't get through, they should be able to move better.
Galvin
Location: IN the middle of a cement cornfield, still thinking he is in Illarion, Role Playing his life...

Post by Galvin »

I agree and don't agree with this idea. I also agree with Achae on how spirits should be able to move through things, unless they have an ethereal ward on them. But I disagree with the instant resurection thing. Yes it is helpful, but then, as mentioned above, characters wouldn't fear death, they would die then suddenly be abck to life. What fun is that and it takes away a large amount of role playing options.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I think the best idea at all would be a kind of "afterworld"

After getting killed you become a ghost in that world and have to find the exit.

If you find this, you get alive again at the place you died / next cross

While you are in this after world, your corpose remain lootable at the place you died.

That would be really nice, i think ^^

Nitram
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

I like Nitram's idea
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

that would be great! nice one :)
Galvin
Location: IN the middle of a cement cornfield, still thinking he is in Illarion, Role Playing his life...

Post by Galvin »

GO NITRAM! Best idea yet!
Llama

Post by Llama »

While we're at it, can we have a dead body graphic (lyke the skeleton?)

It might turn looting into more of an ethical issue then picking stuff off the floor
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

and if not nitram's idea, at least ghosts should not be able to "scout" and map unknown territory.
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

I like Nitram's idea as long as the corpse is lootable, but I do not think skill loss should come from it.
Theon

Post by Theon »

Korm Kormsen wrote:and if not nitram's idea, at least ghosts should not be able to "scout" and map unknown territory.
They may not have found a cross on their map yet though, so they'd be screwed if they died.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Cawdor,
right, i did not think about that.

edit:
that would be no problem, if every new player would be spawned at a cross.
think about the possibilities. depending on class and race you choose, you are spawned in a different area.
(first time and after death)
it would further interaction of chars with similars.
no more or less elf-dwarf lizard-ork couples. (...poor fooser...)
xEleas

Post by xEleas »

Nitram's idea was suggested before, but will it be done?
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I love Nitram's idea, but there's one tiny flaw to being resurrected right next to the place you died. What if whatever killed you is still there? :P You'd have to be resurrected at full health, which takes away from the RP of being injured or weak. Maybe in this Afterworld there could be several exits to find, each one leading to a different spot?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Galvin wrote:GO NITRAM! Best idea yet!
No cos I didn't suggest this like 5 months ago >_>
Galvin

Post by Galvin »

But Nitram suggested it, so it is his idea now. :D
Lance Thunnigan

Narmir wrote:I love Nitram's idea, but there's one tiny flaw to being resurrected right next to the place you died. What if whatever killed you is still there? :P You'd have to be resurrected at full health, which takes away from the RP of being injured or weak. Maybe in this Afterworld there could be several exits to find, each one leading to a different spot?
I agree completely.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Resurrection to the nearest shrine?
Lance Thunnigan

Mr. Cromwell wrote:Resurrection to the nearest shrine?
Yes, but you wouldn't know whch exit went where.
Asesino

Post by Asesino »

I love nitrams Idea, please make fancy personifications of death !1!1one!1 a whole buch of them plz !!!
something like a ferryman and a angel of death and other silly npcs who have no other use, but amuse me :P
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

What happens with undead players? Do we get to see the player ghost moving about? :P or they get to see us.
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

While you are in this after world, your corpose remain lootable at the place you died.
not possible aslong as craftmenship sucks and aslong as getting good items is as good as impossible.

you would cause too much frustration with that. and sorry, but i hoped the staff have overcome the idea that causing more frustration for players is a good idea of scripting.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

the idea is good, but i hope that if its implemented, not EVERY item is lootable... i hope it would be like it is now where items are randomly dropped, and only random items can be looted.

And there is a set skill loss when you die. It shouldnt happen overtime if when your in this "afterlife". The punishment for taking a longtime to return will be that someone could find and loot your corpse, not losing more skills.[/code]