Magic Discussion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

sorry silas, it was not meant as an attack on you. just as a defence on their cheap low shots against me out of their frustration. it cant be an attack from me since i see nothing wrong in it. also it was just to give them an example of the amounts of silver she and others earned like that.
they do like everything she has was earned by selling food, what is highly untrue.

and it angers me to see nitram, stephen and others doing such cheap attacks on me without showing the true facts., trying to lie to the others and make them belief what wrong things they write there.
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I think Vilarion's post made it fairly apparent that the intention of the change was to remove the possibility to earn money with magic, which leads me to think they don't want magic being used as something to earn money.

Edit: Oh, you should probably read the posts a bit more thoroughly as well. The only one Nitram has made pertaining to this subject is the following;
Just to let you know, the regeneration was not changed.

Nitram
Which doesn't strike me as a personal attack on you.
Last edited by Korwin on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samantha Meryadeles

and force mages this way becomming craftmen. since the life of a mage is very expensive. mana potions, mana pushing items, and all. you need alot of money for that. since a mage cant earn money with magic or without being member of a group like the temple, he has to do a craft. great.

and to give you something to count.

Samantha has 800 silver. 120 silver of that belong to Magnus, she sold grain and fruits for him. that much to mages stolen trades from farmers *rolles eyes*.

so, 800 - 120 = 680. 680 - 200 from salathe, 480. 480 - 100 from alexander, 380. 380 - 100 through selling own grain and thorwalds stuff, 280- 280 silver - many other little trades, like rare items, and so on. now guess how much of her money she really earned with selling food. for the last 6 month!
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Patric, how is it fair to cooks?
Samantha Meryadeles

lets see, cakes and bread is just a very little part of cooking. more important is the wide amount of meals and soups. samantha just can sell cakes, and breads. and cakes are not thaaat liked, since they fill even too much. a cook can cook a wide amount of different meals.

so from view of roleplay, who is better? a cook selling real meals, or a mage selling cakes? ever eaten just cakes for a whole month?
and by the way, the cooks we have on the isle benefited from samantha and the other mages. without them they would never have got all they steaks they needed for advancing in cooking

also, how many cooks do you really saw ingame trying to sell food? there is one, a dwarf. and else? without mages there would be NOONE selling food to you that doesnt poison you!#

all my other chars are starving or have to buy expensive food potions from the npc, since they cant find any cook when wanting to buy food!
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote: also, how many cooks do you really saw ingame trying to sell food? there is one, a dwarf. and else? without mages there would be NOONE selling food to you that doesnt poison you!#
I don't have any facts, of course. But the reason why there are no proper cook-characters might very well be interconnected with the fact that mages = sort of cooks. :wink:
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Cakes can fill as much as meals and you can get cakes in 2 seconds while a cook must get various materials and spend time getting the skill to do it.

Please. Vilarion is in the right when he took this out. At most mages can summon fruits, nothing more then that.

Edit -

And no your wrong, Stephen buys all his food from cooks, and he buys lots and lots of food.
Last edited by Garett Gwenour on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meriel Pelith
Location: In the meadow of sinful thoughts every flower is a perfect one.

Post by Meriel Pelith »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:could you please stop spreading lies?
Samantha Meryadeles wrote:also, stop saying i was the only one. Silas Farron, Nalcaryos and so on did the same. so please stop telling it was just me and my fault *Rolls eyes*. that is based on your dislikes for me, and no real proofs or happenings
Samantha Meryadeles wrote: and it angers me to see nitram, stephen and others doing such cheap attacks on me without showing the true facts., trying to lie to the others and make them belief what wrong things they write there.
Sorry, if I get a off topic, but...

For a very short moment I felt a pity for you... but then I remembered what you did before. Maybe Patric, you think about this feeling you have right now, just for a bit.
Because now you know how I felt when you were spreading arguements all over the board that consisted of 80% assumptions, 10% frustration and 10% truth. Think just a moment about what you have done to me and other players as well. Do you enjoy that feeling you have right now? That someone seems to be spreading lies about you? No? Then please remind this situation the next time you are about to post some of your ramblings on the board. Think about if actually know FACTS and maybe don't hurt people with what you write. Thanks.

On Topic:

I guess people will get used to the explosion noise, I have no problem with it.

Also I wish to know from a Dev if it is intended that you spent more mana on the Orl Kah Qwan spell, than you can cover with it.

To the food-selling-discussion:

I'm glad to see that the spell got changed and I have to defend Silas on my behalf now. He started to sell food after he saw that even I did it (who started to sell food after Samantha did :-P ) and many other mages. I recall him telling me in MSN how frustrated he is about this and that he would prefer not to, but since every mage is doing this ingame. I understand his reason.

I also wish to add that's not only the mages players fault that bakers had no chance at all. The non-mage-players could also have thought about this as well and don't buy the food of mages. RP-reason? When I was playing Blaithin Ravenhart I refused food of mages, with the explanation that it isn't from nature and that it isn't as nutritious and healthy has normal baked bread (and of course also added that it's not cooked with love, but that's a druid-thing.)
Samantha Meryadeles

At most mages can summon fruits, nothing more then that.
fruits cant be summoned anymore aswell, stephen.

also, who is your cook? Gilbert Merimac who is also your smith and potion brewer? :P
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Gilbert, Tanistan makes food, Galvin makes food, some random elf who sold sausage for WAY to cheap, they are out there. And this move will make them more prominent which is a good thing.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Meriel Pelith wrote:I guess people will get used to the explosion noise, I have no problem with it.
The noise is not that good chosen and i think i will change it pretty soon to something better fitting.

Nitram
Caldrion Sternenglanz

Post by Caldrion Sternenglanz »

perhaps an erutation sound?
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

... the life of a mage is very expensive. mana potions, mana pushing items, and all.
I think you've made a critical mistake here. Buying mana potions, magical items, isn't required to be a mage. I usually never have more than 10 silver at one time, and my difficulty is getting runes, not having enough silver to be a mage.
Samantha Meryadeles

i fear it is, if you want to be more than just an apprentice or a low light
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

You can play a perfectly capable mage without engaging in combat, which seems to me the only situation in which it would be critical to have mana potions and special items.

I'm not quite sure what a low light is, so I can't address that.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Magic...what a debacle
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

could anyone give me some facts, please?

Tjalf kormsen is farmer with near yellowish green skill.
he is a beginning cook.

to produce 100 grain, i have to play him 30 minutes using a well planned planting sequence. - so 20 seconds a grain
to make dough and rolls takes an average 3 minutes for each roll. (including fetching water and all)

how long do these tasks take for a mage?
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

While the topic is in the spotlight...

As far as I can tell, there aren't any North/South American players who play mage teachers.

The problem being that if you're someone who plays from 23:00 GMT to 5:00 GMT (around 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm in Central North/South America) you're out of luck when it comes to learning magic.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Po isilwen does have a teacher character and I think she is pretty active with it.
Samantha Meryadeles

samantha and duchan planned to give orren padick the teaching rune and make him a teacher. but now samantha wont be invold anymore.

to make dough and rolls takes an average 3 minutes for each roll. (including fetching water and all)

how long do these tasks take for a mage?
that was dependant on luck. could be that the first spell gave you 10 rolls, or that you first get 50 fish, 20 ham, 20 steaks and a few sausages before you get a roll. i would say 10-20 in 20 minutes, without mana potion use. but that could be also 100 in that time, depents on your luck
Damien

Post by Damien »

PO Isilwens mage teacher has been deactivated with all other boosted NPCs teaching runes (like the other archmages and Ephraim). We're working on getting some player characters to teach though.
First step will be : Get the active chars that can teach. Second step : With these mages, pick some other good mage chars who will be introduced in teaching others runes.
If Isilwen wants, her player character can develop into that direction too, anyhow the char knows to few runes at the moment and it will take some time to RP the learning.
We will not teach with NPCs anymore though.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I would love garett to get runes, he had runes in the old client, tried to get ruens in the new client and just sort of became like Orren padick and so ive lost interest in him :/

*nudge nudge* and I wont be like samantha and sell food to get money as a mage ;)
Gisela

Post by Gisela »

The ones that learn could possibly pay for their learning by teaching for a certain length of time?

Gisela
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I would love garett to get runes, he had runes in the old client, tried to get ruens in the new client and just sort of became like Orren padick and so ive lost interest in him :/
You lost interest in him a month after the first academy opened.

What really seems profoundly wrong is what's happened to characters like Azuros. While Azuros has been continually attempting to get magic since the opening of the first magic academy (Almost an even 12 months now) he's had almost no luck. However, he wasn't scrapped simply because he didn't become a mage, he continued on as an active character, existing without being the mage that he was intended to be. That the character continues on without magic is a testament to a strength of character not present in alot of others.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Also because he doesnt play any other character. *stabs*
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Garett Gwenour wrote:Also because he doesnt play any other character. *stabs*
I do too >.> I am just not revealing the name until that character dies/leaves

And as for the teaching thing, I agree with Andrew, there should be a few more teachers in the American time zones so that players have to get online really late/early to learn.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Uhm, on what I thought almost all the lessons where around american times, or germans live during the night, since most lessons started around 21pm gmt+1.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Can you PLESE get over that soon William? I told you, it was a joke. You said you hadn't cast any spells in three weeks, that is nine weeks ingame. I joked about you being a lazy student. This is the third thread you bring this up, and the third time I tell you. It is starting to get a little anoying.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Alex*
Samantha Meryadeles

Um...silas...i have no randomness by casting jus taur kel...i teleport exactly onto the spot i targeted. maybe your skill is just not high enough?