Forum Avatars / Forum-Avatare

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

J S

Post by J S »

Wha'?
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:but here its not like in the use where we can sue cigarette concerns because we get cancer ;)
Thank god that it's not like the, er, "Use," there. The fact that this sounds much more ridiculous than that aside entirely.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Mmm why would a artist single out Illarion when there are over 100 000 forum sites easily which use borrowed art for Avatars.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:but here its not like in the use where we can sue cigarette concerns because we get cancer ;)
And that's why they have to have large "Warning: Smoking can damage your health" signs on the side of the packs.

Also, Arist; if Illarion becomes big like RS it wouldn't be hard to think where the next prey is.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

If
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

We're becoming bigger by the day.

Hopefully we won't become another rs with soul shadows everywhere.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Ive had this Avatar for three years!

* holds up his ' we wont be billed sign *
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

If we are really concerned about copyright issues, then the only option is to disable custom avatars complety and restrict them to the board gallery.

I for one don't feel like to check if every new registered member uses "legal" avatar.

This is crap,
but since I am a member of Illarion e.V. I'll delete mine.
martin

Post by martin »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:And what is with the pictures in the online profile? will those go aswell?
EVERY picture that we make accessable for the public (by you using it).

Please, use your common sense.

Martin
martin

Post by martin »

Ku 'Agor wrote:I'm keeping my avatar.

Stupid ignorant pigs can bitch at me themselves if they are so pridefull of their orc picture. I don't even know where this came from.
You'll not be the one being sued, it's US being sued. So using these pictures illegally will not do any harm to you but can be rather harmful for us (Illarion and the society, that is). Think twice.

Martin
martin

Post by martin »

Aristeaus wrote:Mmm why would a artist single out Illarion when there are over 100 000 forum sites easily which use borrowed art for Avatars.
Probably no artist would do that.
But some lawyers do. Asume you have 100 lawyers in germany who think they can make big money doing that kind of thing (and it was shown in the past that similar things worked pretty well).
Asume that every of them wants to find as many violations as possible. Asume that, to do so, they take 5 coworkers each and let them browse the web to search such violations. Asume that each of them can check 100 forums a day, making a total of 5*100*100=50000 forums a day (let's say that some of them will be checked twice or trice, so, let's say we just have 20000 forums being checked -- per DAY).

Martin
Markous

Post by Markous »

My avatar is legal now. (Depicting my own guitar.)
Farfara

Post by Farfara »

So is mine...it may suck, but, by God, I drew it. (Yes, I admitted to it.... :oops: )
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

in ms paint?
Farfara

Post by Farfara »

Yeah.
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

you really whent into detail with the shadows and all on his shirt and under the chin.
Farfara

Post by Farfara »

I tried to get it looking decent, but I didn't have the patience to just draw something on paper then color it digitally....*shrugs* Oh, well, maybe I'll get the lead out and do a better one sometime.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

#me fakes a cough that sounds suspiciously like...he has no life
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

lol jk man
Farfara

Post by Farfara »

*makes a rude hand-gesture at Richard* I'm sorry, what was that? :twisted:
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

I have a query. My avatar is a legal desk-top background, offered freely by Sci-Fi America for public use. All I did was cut out a specific part of the background (or rather, Quinasa did) and use it for my avatar. Would a German lawyer really want to sue the Illarion eV on the behalf of Sci-Fi America, or is that just a bridge too far?
martin

Post by martin »

Depends on the policy of that site.

If they say that for example a certain signature has to be placed on that pic or that it may not be altered, yes.

Martin
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

Removed my avatar, until I can be sure that it's legal.
Gryphius

Post by Gryphius »

Argh...you never get peace from these darn copyright-issues. Anyway, i replaced my avatar with Jen's interpretation of my Char (i liked it better anyway). But not only i altered it a little (flipped it, increased its contrast level), i didn't even ask for her permission to use it. So i fear she'll sue my arse now. :wink:

Concerning copyright issues: I know that spreading song lyrics is considered illegal too. Does that mean i've got to quit singing Monty Python's "Lumberjack Song" ingame? :?

I see the day coming, when even 'remembering' a song's lyrics is being sued as unauthorized duplication.
Meriel Pelith
Location: In the meadow of sinful thoughts every flower is a perfect one.

Post by Meriel Pelith »

I will sue you to hell, Gry!

;)

no actually, I'm proud
krazytoe

Post by krazytoe »

The artist I have borrowed my avatar from states that his work may be used as long as 1. it isn't altered in anyway(which it isn't) 2. that it is solely for non-profit(which it is) and 3. that a link to his website is provided(which is below) so I brought back Cyndil.

http://www.howarddavidjohnson.com
martin

Post by martin »

@krazytoe:

You cropped the image, therefore it is altered.
Everytime you post you have to include that link, posting it just one time somewhere is not enough.

Just to show you what "legal" and "illegal" means.

Martin

PS.: I vote for either turning off avatars entirely or have someone get a collection of legal avatars that usesers can chose from.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Noooooo, no shutting down avatars :x

It would affect the game more than you think it would
krazytoe

Post by krazytoe »

crap, well, there she goes again, and i had planned on posting the link everytime but oh well
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

You can make a signature where the link is posted ;)