Forum Avatars / Forum-Avatare

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alatar

Forum Avatars / Forum-Avatare

Post by Alatar »

Please ensure that you don't use avatars with copyrights from others than you or Illarion.
We don't like to get trouble with law. If you don't take this serious I have to deactivate all avatars (worst case).

-----------------

Bitte stellt sicher, dass ihr keine Avatare benutzt, an denen Dritte noch Rechte haben (erlaubt sind nur Eigenschöpfungen oder Illariongrafiken).
Wir wollen nicht in Konflikt mit dem Gesetz kommen, momentan läuft angeblich eine Abmahnwelle. Nehmt dies bitte ernst, sonst muss ich die Avatar-Funktion schlimmstenfalls komplett deaktivieren.

Siehe auch: http://www.midgard-forum.de/forum/showt ... hp?t=11908
Last edited by Alatar on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

hrmm, gute frage.. Wie stehts denn um deinen eigenen Ava, Alatar? :wink:

Wie sieht es denn mit den Angeboten diverser Avatar-Seiten aus? sind die rechtlich abgesichert. Sind das deren Eigenkreationen?
J S

Post by J S »

I told ya'll!
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I think we are all buggered.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

No!!! I like my avatar!
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Would I be correct to assume that this applies to the picture function for the online list?
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Hm thats not good for me lol.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

awe...who did it?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Lennier wrote:hrmm, gute frage.. Wie stehts denn um deinen eigenen Ava, Alatar? :wink:
Yeah he's got a point. I would really suggest people take this seriously. I think fooser has been the only one to change avatars, and I think most people do NOT want to loose having avatars.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

My avatar is from a golden age comic from a company that went out of business generations ago. I think the small clipping of the picture I have fits under the category of "fair use" law.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

No more running link :cry:
Poots

Post by Poots »

what about avatars from the avatar link on the homepage?
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

I sacrifice myself and use a legal avatar ;)
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

every avatar i use is legal because they are all free avatars i get online lol
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

since mine was copyrighted, i went back to the Cas love fest
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Aegohl wrote:I think the small clipping of the picture I have fits under the category of "fair use" law.
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/ wrote:Fair use is a copyright principle based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials forpurposes of commentary and criticism.
I can't read your mind on how you used it so I'll let you decide.

Free Legal

And I made Arameh's avatar. :)
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Gro'bul wrote:
Aegohl wrote:I think the small clipping of the picture I have fits under the category of "fair use" law.
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/ wrote:Fair use is a copyright principle based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials forpurposes of commentary and criticism.
I can't read your mind on how you used it so I'll let you decide.

Free Legal

And I made Arameh's avatar. :)
Just because someone can sue you over something (even successfully) doesn't make it illegal, either, though.

Being that I don't know German I can't read the link above and don't know what happened in that case that Alatar is linking, but I *do* know that any case where the law has acted on forum avatars is a rare case. I also know that in cases of copyright law, courts don't take claims seriously unless there was some sort of "cease and desist" communication beforehand. It's only when that is ignored that you actually see a lawsuit, and that goes back to my saying that just because something can get you sued it doesn't make it illegal (especially in the arena of copyright law which is so different from country to country. In the United States copyrights extend forevor to the point where Mickey Mouse, who was invented three generations ago, is still copyrighted. Other countries are more reasonable, since these laws were originally made to protect artists and not massive corporations. They've just been corrupted over the years.)
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

So, I guess this calls for losta cosplay and taking pictures for our chars then? :wink:

I vollunteer to take pictures for all the beautifull elfesses! :twisted:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Use Tekteks!
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

What about free-use artwork? Things like, as Alex says, Tektek, who are designed with every intention of you using them as avatars, or any of the multitude of 'free use avatar' sites, where the artists themselves put their artwork as 'free to use'?
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Those are useable unless the artist later withdraws your right to use them in that fashion. =)
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Or artists whom are just fine with you using their artwork as long as you link back to their site? (such as www.furiae.com)
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

Just do it yourself, aye
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

i accept it that we can get problems because of the copyrighted material. But i really think that some cooporations overdo it with "law and copyright" sorry.... where do we go if small free associations get punished because they use small pictures. This is only big fat mony making of the cost of some small hobby projects.
Caldrion Sternenglanz

Post by Caldrion Sternenglanz »

Erm....

Wir kriegen hier "eigentlich" nur Probleme, wenn wir eine wirtschaftlich handelnde und auf Gewinn ausgehende Gemeinschaft sind, oder liege ich nun total falsch?

Wir sind de facto unkommerziell. Wäre eine Auflistung aller Internetseiten, welche die Bilder mit Genehmigun zur Verfügung stellen, sinnvoll?
martin

Post by martin »

There's a famous german lawyer, Frhr. Guenter von Gravenreuth, who is famous for making money out of almost everything and everyone. He's constantly surfing the web and tries to find things and companies to sue, he even sued microsoft for the name "explorer" and seems to have made a rather large amount of money (they paid him good money, as it seems, however he doesn't say how much).

I recommend reading
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Günter_Fre ... ravenreuth

(sorry, german only)

However, I'd be careful. Once a person like him gets wind of this, problems will follow.

Martin
Meriel Pelith
Location: In the meadow of sinful thoughts every flower is a perfect one.

Post by Meriel Pelith »

http://www.allavatars.com/

I recommend you this site
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Is that a joke???

We have to change our avatars which we love so much to something we drawed self or of what we got the allowness to use?

Every avatar? even the one we use for the profile in the onöline list?

Thats a catastrophe!
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

Use Tekteks!
No! Gods no. No offense intended to those who use Tekteks, but they're absolutely vile, insipid and ugly.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

no, that is no joke. it is just typikal german overregulation of everything.
if we, the players use no legal avatars, the master of the forum might be sued for thousends of euro.

what's the problem? here are enough players, who know how to draw or paint.

ask one of them to paint you an avatar. or just use some scetch, like i do. (now)

korm