Two Suggestions: Quarterstaff AND Spell Resistance

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Post by Llama »

In reply to Estralis.

The n00b would still 'try' to resist the spells, and fail; so he's lose the mana as required.

Since the mage would have some spell resistance, he'd lose less than the n00b as a total.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

And the benefit is...? I am not against this, but fail to see any reason for such a change. I cannot remember playing a game that uses such a concept - loosing spell points / mana by resisting spells.

Once, I have proposed a "mana-leech" spell, not sure for which class of mages (priests I think). Maybe this is more promising instead of draining mana from high skilled mages by casting spells on them?

So, can anybody bring up any pros for this system, compared to the current one?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Was having a re-think...

What if mages, instead of losing their mana, are able to absorb it; since they can effectivly channel it through them...?
Silo

Post by Silo »

Athian wrote:try not to forget that alot of the random twirling of the weapons have no combat use. true a fast weapon and all, but what you see in demonstrations is alot out of context. movements like those lack power and control meaning even hitting someone like that wouldn't cause much harm. slow that down by half add more force and take out the all stunts and thats what actual bo staff fighting is more like.
Actually kinda untrue. Using the momentum off the rapid hits would bounce the thing like a spring, and alot more than half the speed. A little less, yes, but not half. That's what the two sides are partly used for, the thing is just about as rapid as shown there. But I gotta agree, if you want it to hurt BADLY, then you will slow it down. But the speed in itself is overwhelming, no real need for power.