Thieves? How do you play one?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Deinarious

Thieves? How do you play one?

Post by Deinarious »

I asked this question I think around last October or November...but I forgot... How would I roleplay a thief?
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

Ironically, with the trust of the player whose character you are trying to rob.

Just go use the search function or something. It's been mentioned plenty of times.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Strangely Delakaniam, the search function came up with my first post on thievery... and others I didn't bother reading...RP eh? Why didn't I think of that!
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

The thing that I like so much about our way of trading is that we never have some set trustworthy way of doing it. There is no window that appears, saying: Player A is trading you this. You are trading him that. Do you agree? [Yes] or [No]. I hope this never changes. Thieves can take whatever they want during a trade for a TRUE steal, IC and OOC. But, if you have a nice roleplayer helping you, you can just use #me's to reach into their pockets and whatnot.

I remember when my halfling stole a firesword during a trade back when you couldn't make those flaming babies anymore, all those years ago. Those things were worth like... 10 ingots! Ahhh, the good old days.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Sess'sth wrote: I remember when my halfling stole a firesword during a trade back when you couldn't make those flaming babies anymore, all those years ago. Those things were worth like... 10 ingots! Ahhh, the good old days.
THAT WAS YOU!?
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

See? Hehe. Thieves are easy and VERY fun to play in this game. And they are the first type of character that comes to mind when I think of a certain "class" of character that needs no skills to back up their roleplay. You need a mouse and a keyboard, and of course a decently fast character.

EDIT: 10 ingots, for all you non-oldies, is 25+ silver coins. In other words, it was a great heist which only took 10 seconds to plan. I had a buddy run in front of the door while I bolted for my hiding spot. By the time Brer's character could get anywhere near me, he couldn't see me. :D
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Here's the best recipe for an efficient thief:

A liter of maxed out fighter attributes,
One tablespoon of maxed out combat skills,
A bag of hiding in the shadows using #me statements saying you're pulling out your sword

Then kill the mofo and take his stuff.

Most of you are probably thinking, "isn't that powergaming?" I don't know. But I can guarantee you it's a recipe for Uber pWnage!
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

You're basically going to be doing roleplay, a lot. Ironically, a lot of the roleplay depends on the person you try to rob, as its purely rp robbing. You'll find both people with xray eyes and super ears, but you'll also find good roleplayer who wil leither allow you to steal something or give good roleplay why you cant.

Some examples:

BAd
-I tried to use my thief to rob an elf one time by distracting him by showing him my char's arm (which has a bad, magical cut on it), and i even roleplay'd making sure he was checkign (and he roleplayed he was). I then #me's reaching into his pockets to search for something, and all of a sudden he just says "I dont ahve anything to steal", or the like, without so much a "#me is fairly sensitive and feels the hand in his pocket" or "#me's sharp eyes see the hand moving into his pocket via his peripheal vision". Bah

-I had my thief hiding in shadows in the shop one time, when someone "randomly" decides to throw a few logs in the fire to brighten the room, and then roleplays seeing me

Good
-One elf I tried stealing from gave a complex #me explaining how she felt the hand in a pocket near a wound, and turned around, and of cours,e screamed for help

-Several people Rp being distracted by my thief (he tends to distract people to steal if it's the day time) when he does such a thing, and then let him steal something

You're really going to find people on both ends of the spectrum, so if you can deal with horrible roleplayers, you'll enjoy being a thief a lot, it gives you some grat roleplaying experiences, and it's also easy enough to rp on the rp board.