Jailing

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Gwendolin Cad'ell

Jailing

Post by Gwendolin Cad'ell »

I thought I would make a new topic so you can have my two cents about this in general.

Jailing has truly become a simple joke. You can't jail anyone without the person breaking out the very next day or even an hour later.
That doesn't only happen constantly to the town guard, but also to the Grey Rose.

Even now where the doors and keys finally work again, so that people usually *shouldn't* get tempted to just walk away, the jail breaks go on.
I would like to ask the GMs if they would not support every single jail break. And I would like to ask for a little bit more fairness of the players.

You play a thief, a villain? That's great. But when you get caught, you get caught. That's risk of playing one.

The really true ironic thing is that it is PO Stephen now, who has all the same problems that he once caused the town guard in earlier times. He threw the same fuss IC and OOC about the guard, and for a change he can see now what an annoying job this can be at times.
Because it doesn't matter what you do, you will have 10 people complaining at the town board. My credit goes to people who actually manage it to play a 'commoner' who shows respect towards knights, guards or nobility.
Secondly, the guard was always more than human. We have a follower of Moshran running about town and admit it openly? According to Silvermoon we should actually put him on a stake, because that is what should happen to them. We don't.
We do not cut off hands of thiefs either. Just sometimes the guards jails a person who they finally managed to catch. (Most probably only because he got ctrl+clicked and it would be bad RP to run away from cross.)

I think it would not harm if the GMs are little bit more strict about these matters. It's not easy to play a villain, I know that. It's not easy to play a guard either. We are not playing against each other, we are playing with each other.

PO Gwendolin
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Very good. I second that! She is very right
Valdrin Sorhol

Post by Valdrin Sorhol »

I agree that either way , people will complain about this. its true that some jail breaks may occur, but come on now people not everyone gets away. the guards would eventually all be jobless if that was the case then more evil chars would rule and trollsbane would fall to even more chaos then even Stephen could create.
Poots

Post by Poots »

*sniff sniff* that was so...touching

but anyways, are gm's supporting these getaways, and how are they supposed to be strict about it? saying you can't break out of jail? it's purely bad rp, but how can they punish that?

I agree though, jailing is getting insanely pointless,

but I'm cool because Is stayed in jail, cookie for me.
Gwendolin Cad'ell

Valdrin Sorhol wrote:I agree that either way , people will complain about this. its true that some jail breaks may occur, but come on now people not everyone gets away. the guards would eventually all be jobless if that was the case then more evil chars would rule and trollsbane would fall to even more chaos then even Stephen could create.
Some? From 10 jailings maybe one persons waits til his time in jail is over. I'm not overdoing it. This problem hasn't only occured recently, but always since the guard is existing.

poots wrote:but anyways, are gm's supporting these getaways, and how are they supposed to be strict about it? saying you can't break out of jail? it's purely bad rp, but how can they punish that?
Yes they do on occasion. I would not say 'you can't break out of jail' but maybe only supporting some really RARE cases. Not like the issue with Retlak where suddenly the hole in the wall of the Grey Rose castle was (in the upper floor even.) Even now I don't know what exactly has happened there. Sometimes maybe it would just require a 'no, sorry mate.'

Another idea of how to prevent jail breaks, would be if outlaws would actually 'accept' their ban. If you don't want to get into jail, well - either make sure that you do not get caught when you are in town - or stay out of it.
Of course jailing is partially an annoying punishment, because it isn't that much supporting the RP when you sit in a cell and you have no one around you. But people do not stick to their bans either, so the guards have no other option than jailing them at one point.

And cookie for you , poots
Poots

Post by Poots »

:P cookie!

what if we made it so that you could only break out of jail *if* you had gm help? as you said, it would make them rare, which is good......just brainstorming....
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I miss the OLD jail. Try breaking out of that one with GM help, guys! Its all well and fantastic to do a jailbreak every now and then but come on. They give you a chance to show your colours and how well you can RP, they give you choices and you all always choose the easy way out. How original!
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

But it is so easy to break out of jail when no one is guarding you. As i have told PO Retlak when he was banned: it's not your job to stay out of town, it's the guards job to keep you out. Same goes for prison breaks, if there was actually a guard or two in the jail, then these breaks would occur alot less.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

There are Guards. Their player can't just be ingame 24/7. But their characters can be in the jail guarding even if they are not logged in. It is bad rp to use the fact that players can't be ingame 24/7 for your own sake. You are abusing with that an ooc fact.
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

Seems to me that NO guard is EVER in the jail. When one of my characters was in the jail, i spent most of the day unguarded, having only Retlak in the neighbouring cell for company. I understand they cannot be in 24/7, but i don't even see an attempt at people trying to guard it.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

Guards should also learn how to properly search the ones they lock. You can't pick a lock with no tools, even if it was a simple one.

And if the jailbreaks keep on I would sugggest building a real medieval prison. One where the prisoners are thrown through a hole in the floor into a room that is several meters high.
Gwendolin Cad'ell

Alkurg wrote:But it is so easy to break out of jail when no one is guarding you.
Uhm. Why?
Are the walls somehow weaker when no guard is around? Or is the door suddenly unlocked?
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

Well when you are not even searched, it seems quite easy to break out. No guards to actually stop you. Retlak has been thrown in jail countless times, many of them leaving him holding a warhammer or other weapon. If a guard was there, Retlak wouldn't have been able to escape, yet since they pretty much left him to himself, he could do whatever he wants.

Same happens with alot of other prisoners. And do you honestly think that a theif would pick the lock of a door and casually walk out past a guard?

Edit: Sorry for picking on Retlak, just the first jailbreak which came to my head ;)
Markous

Post by Markous »

Originally, Jailing was only for players who broke rules.

I can understand players who are not willing to stay in jail for 10 hours because of a Town RP Rulebreak, and I have nothing against any form of jail break.

Some people have to pay for being online.
Poots

Post by Poots »

Alkurg wrote:Well when you are not even searched, it seems quite easy to break out. No guards to actually stop you. Retlak has been thrown in jail countless times, many of them leaving him holding a warhammer or other weapon. If a guard was there, Retlak wouldn't have been able to escape, yet since they pretty much left him to himself, he could do whatever he wants.

Same happens with alot of other prisoners. And do you honestly think that a theif would pick the lock of a door and casually walk out past a guard?

Edit: Sorry for picking on Retlak, just the first jailbreak which came to my head ;)
yeah so if a guard made regular check ups you would be comepletely fine? pssh, you would just wait until he's gone and then break out. don't give us that excuse.
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

Not really, *I* wouldn't, as i doubt ANY of my characters would be put in jail.

If a guard DID come and check up on the prisoner, it actually would be harder in game, as he might spot the breakout and attempt to stop him. If the guard just checks once every hour, then it is his own fault that he makes regular breaks. It would be easy to time it and escape. As i said before: It is not the theif's job to stay in prison, it is the guard's to keep him in. Maybe if the guards organised themselves a little they could stop it easily.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Poots, that is no fact that you give. The fact is that no one guards the prison.

If guards can't be bothered to ruin their own fun to guard a prison, then why should the prisoner have his fun stopped?

I base this especcially on people who get locked up by mistake and other things.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

half the breakouts are GM helped (GM teleporting Retlak out of prison (no offense retlak just stating accounts), Gm usng vines to destroy the prison and letting out 3 prisoners). The other breakouts are from boardquests that guards are not allow into.
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

Well, if a guard was actually in the jail, there is little the gm can do, as most of the ones i have seen has involved the prisoner escaping on his own. I agree however, that the board rp could be a little out of hand, but that's just my view, everything i do is done in game, not just written about.
Poots

Post by Poots »

If guards can't be bothered to ruin their own fun to guard a prison, then why should the prisoner have his fun stopped?

I'm not saying theye can't, I'm just saying if you look at all the jailbreaks, it's now really suprising if someone does stay in jail their who sentence. And your playing a thief, a murderer, blah blah, you supposed to be taking a risky job! what do you have to lose now?you go around, steal from everyone, get caught, and break out the next day.

and now you want us to organise something ooc on shifts about who guards at what time....now that's just dumb. one thing about me, I hate it when I have to get on at a certain time. I usually have a busy scheduele, I can't remember. that's why I'm not in many quests, unless I happpen to be on when they happen to be near me. Now I can't speak for the guard, but doing something like that, isn't easy.

edit:

which is why the boards are so cool, because you don't need to be there at the exact time to see it. if they would just wait for a guard of some kind, it could have been great.
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

Well that is how it is, if you are not around when something happens, it is your own fault ( you cant ask for attacks or what not to only happen when you are online ) and you cannot blame people for taking advantage of this. Spending whole days with no guard outside just shows you how easy it is to escape. Just whip out the warhammer which was conveiniently not took, then simply bash down the door. As all of the guards ( all 2 of them ) never seem to be around the jail, it is quite easy, and then you can just wander outside the top gate, never to be heard of again.

Edit: the boards are also great for those who are inactive for years to pop in and claim they are guarding somewhere, which means you cannot take it over or even rp. Since these people are like shadows, you cannot even find them in game, causing a nice little inactive hole. (Yes this does apply to the discussion) It is the same with these guards. Never guarding the jail, you expect us to pretend they are there? Might aswell just pretend all the old inactive guards are still around, guarding the streets day and night.
Dusk

Post by Dusk »

Poots wrote: and now you want us to organise something ooc on shifts about who guards at what time....now that's just dumb. one thing about me, I hate it when I have to get on at a certain time. I usually have a busy scheduele, I can't remember. that's why I'm not in many quests, unless I happpen to be on when they happen to be near me. Now I can't speak for the guard, but doing something like that, isn't easy.
You missed the point slightly. You can set up a schedule in game of which guard goes to the jail house on what days. But as it stands, I have never seen a guard go to the Jailhouse to log out, Always he/she just goes outside of the town wall and poof. If there was a schedule of which weeks a character has watch and that stuff, It would take alot more planning, and near impossible to break someone out unless it's Sebastian and Devrah ofcourse, at which point she would probably just let him out. But other than that, the guards are usually loyal to Stephen.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Devrah was removed from the guard, that is why the other topic got into a flame war because they had trouble seperating me from the character stephen and so felt I the player fired Devrah :roll:
Devrah Liioness

Post by Devrah Liioness »

Pfft, she was never yours to fire to begin with. When she accepted the job, she told Revlen straight out she would not fight for Stepehen, only for the town itself, and would take orders only from Revlen - not from Stepehen. And she never collected a paycheck from Stephen, so you can't complain bout that.

And the other thing - you never told me, IC or OOC.
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

The thing is : You don't even need to plan a timetable or whatever. You just need guards. Guard is online, then maybe you should go sit with other guards in the jail? I managed to guard the Orc cave with Alkuurg and his Orcs. Really isn't so difficult.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Thieves would look at the online list and evade when there are no guards.
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

Well the gms shouldn't do that. Theives can go on whenever they want, but it's their own time they waste if they sit there watching the online list.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

And the time the guards wasted on catching the thieves (which is very hard, since some thieves that get holded by 3 guards usually #me makes a flip and kicks 2 peoples and draws his dagger and hit the other guy 3x and runs away. and shit like that).
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

You need to think to yourself, the whole point of the game is to rp with each other, not to win. So these theives escape, and do "bad rp", but does it really matter? So, this shouldn't bother you so much, just go about making it a better rp atmosphere for everyone else. If they want to waste their time by waiting for guards to log off, then it is worse for them then you.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Any theif ive encoutnered with my thief or with ules seems to rp well. And that includes me ;)