Stamina - New bar?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Setherioth

Stamina - New bar?

Post by Setherioth »

Ok you might have already read this in another topic, but i think it's it's own idea so it deserves a seperate thread.

My proposal is to introduce stamina and endurance. Right now there is no limit to how long a person can walk around for, fight, or not eat and things like that. Now we all know messages saying "You are hungry" would get annoying, but this is different. I think we should add a new bar in between the mana and life meter, this one could be the stamina meter, and we could introduce a new catagory into which you can place starting points into, this one called : endurance. The more points you put into it, the slower your stamina decreases. Now there should be several ways you lose stamina. A) It slowly starts to go down if you havn't had anything to eat in a long time. B) If you have been doing non stop work, like mining or blacksmithing. (this would be good in more then one way because it would help lower powergaming) So if you work for a long time it starts to decrease. C) When fighting, because right now, if you're not getting hit by the monster, you can fight them endlessly non stop. Ok those would be the most simplest ways to lose stamina, and the penelty is A) When fighting, you fight best when you're full of stamina, because you're not tired, after fighting for awhile you stamina starts to lower you find yourself starting to get hit easier by the monster and you stop inflicting as much damage, because you're getting tired. B) When working, say blacksmithng, carpentry, the lower your stamina gets, the worse percentage you have of making a peticular object, so if it normally takes you 5 tries to make a sword at full stamina, when it gets low it might take 10 tries say. And lastly, the way to replenish your stamina, would be to A) Eat something, but if you eat something and start mining again right away it you're stamina will rise very slowly or even not at all. B) Is to stop doing things and just relax and talk with people and such, like you're resting. C) The quickest way to replenish it would be to eat something and then relax for awhile until it becomes full.

Sorry it's so long. The exact numbers would still have to be worked out, like how fast does it replenish, how fast does it deminish ect. But please tell me what you think.
mannelig_

Stamina

Post by mannelig_ »

I do enjoy the idea.
Brendan Mason

Stamina

Post by Brendan Mason »

Yes, the idea is good but is over-used by so many other games; "Myth of Soma" for example.
How about a food that increases speed for short bursts...?
Mishrack

Stamina

Post by Mishrack »

hmm 'tis a very good idea. so what if it has been used in other games too? just goes to show that it's an important part of a character...
and it owuld add a lot to the rp...
Astral

Stamina

Post by Astral »

I would hope something like this is in the planning, but it might lead to a bit of an uprising, because not many people will enjoy the idea of just doing nothing while their endurance returns, and would probably lead to a lot of people just doing something else while they wait (i.e. away from the computer).
Mishrack

Stamina

Post by Mishrack »

Most people already do spend a considerable time just walking around rp'ing... this would only give them another reason to do so even more.
Setherioth

Stamina

Post by Setherioth »

Yes I think so too, i mean, i know i do not spend even half my time in illarion working. Now i know some people like to work a lot, but if we set the time down so it doesn't take too long to recover, it's not like it will kill people to take a short break from mining and smithing and just walk around and have a chat with people, you know, make new friends, have a good time.
Thorin the great

Post by Thorin the great »

:) Well i like this idea as well. But what if the druids could make a potion which filled it without any wait, just like healing and mana potions makes Hp and Mana fill up auomaticly but why not some kind of potion like an expresso which gives you stamina, like cofee or caffine :?:
:idea: There is already a food potion, which i really see no use for since it is easy to get food without making a bottle for the potion so a food potion could be changed into a stamina potion because it really has no use and we already have a graphic for it. :idea:

PS: Tell me if the food potion is better than normal food... i never thought it was. :roll:
Drogla

Post by Drogla »

too many games have that, we are going twards being a Diablo2. SAVE US!!!!! :!: :shock: :!:
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

Before long time I had the same idea. Some people from the IRC Chat know that.

My idea functions by the following principle:

- Stamina depends on the start characteristics of the Chars
- Each action (fighting and production of Items) costs Stamina.
- Stamina can be increased by food, special potions ( food potion ?) or by a new magic spell (only for the best druids and mages)
- if Stamina goes down, it decides whether an action is executed or not (fighting, production of Items)
- If Stamina is too low, the health bar goes down up to death (very slow).
- A high Stamina doesn`t increase the health.
- Health is riserable with healing spells and healing potions (like now).

The consequences from it:

- food gets an more important role (costs fewer than potions or mana for an magic spell) -> farmers, bakers, fishers and hunters have more sense
- revaluation of some potions and spells
- none, or expensive mass production by a falling stamina
- > a small preventing against powergamers
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

I wouldn't introduce a powerful stamina potion. This would negate the entire use of the concept, which Lennier stated. People would just buy some potions and keep on working without a break.
Setherioth

Post by Setherioth »

Well I think a stamina potion would be a good idea. If you made it harder to make (like strong healing potions) they would be quite expensive, and i don't think people would buy large quantaties of them just to mine and blacksmith if they are expensive. And it doesn't have to be really strong so that it fills up your entire bar with one potion, you could make it a strength like a weak healing potion. Also, i think it is a good idea for if you are fighting monsters, just like how healing potions are used to help train your parry, if you travel out of town and want to spend some time hunting, you'd have to bring along stamina. It would also increase the importance of druids aswell, because right now the only potions they can really make a lot of money off are mana, but stamina would also be a good money maker.
Roke

Post by Roke »

How about... Eating food and resting instead of a potion? I believe these were previousy stated in this topic though...
Galdriel

Post by Galdriel »

mhm well a potion might give you a short burst of activity, but then it might make adictive :twisted: , and if you dont supply, your stamina might meet new and unknown lows... :shock:
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

The thought with potions or magic spells should only be a supplement.
A real function for food is more important.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

I dislike this idea, what if pkers were hiding on a route which people pass every day and ambushed people walking past as their stamina was low, then you would not be able to fight back as good and they would be given the upper hand. But apart from that it sounds good.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

Stamina would limit all actions of all Chars, PK`s too.
So, a Pk couldn`t kill again and again, because stamina limit temporally his action to he found new "energy" (mainly food + some drinks and potions) to load again.
Setherioth

Post by Setherioth »

But if you were to be attacked by a PK when you have low stamina, it would just be the same if you were attacked and you hadn't filled up your life, you'd have a disadvantage, and besides the PKer can't see your stamina, so it would just be a small chance that it would happen but it makes it realistic.
Setherioth

Post by Setherioth »

I was also thinking that there could possibly be a spell for restore stamina. So a mage can be more useful to a hunting party because they can heal and restore stamina (essential for fighting) plus it's a trade off for the mage if he is fighting. He can lose mana and gain some stamina.
Khalime

Post by Khalime »

Since I believe many aim for the game to be "realistic", I think it may not be horrible if attacked by a PKer when having low stamina..It happens in real life..
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think food should be required to restore fatigue, not just help restore it. You eat to live you know. :wink:
Trice

Post by Trice »

- If Stamina is too low, the health bar goes down up to death (very slow).
This idea, as nice as it might be, wouldn't be too good, cause if someone's
nearly dead, he just drinks a healing potion and on he goes. At least at the
moment it would be like this. Sure, if it were implented, too, that potions
don't heal at an instant, but take some time, this problem would be solved.
(But that's almost off topic again...)

Further, Stamina would be a very good idea.
It would prevent a lot of powergaming and make it more realistic.
Setherioth

Post by Setherioth »

Maybe also when you have low stamina you walk and move slower like if you encumbered.
Trice

Post by Trice »

Or, if your bar is totally down, and you go further to work etc. you
couldn't walk at all for a sec -> catch your breath
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I didn't read all the posts but, the more you carry the more stamina it takes. The stamina taken could be something like this.

total stamina - total weight of item in inventory(per square)= your current stamina
Elaralith

Post by Elaralith »

I think it would be a good idea for Stamina to be determined by Constitution.

So the more Constitution you have the more Stamina and the longer it takes for you to get tired. And vice versa if you have low Constitution.
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

I totally support the stamina idea....adds realism to the game and takes away some of the "super" abilities our characters seems to have ((i.e. not eating for a week and being fine and dandy)) If implemented I see the good rp'ers having a good time with it and enjoying the added touch, and the bad rp's getting limited in their activities. I see a win, win situation.
~~Ark~~
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

@elaralith: How about it effects strength,constitution, and will power.

strength: you get less tired when you can carry heavy things.
willpower: force yourself to keep going even when your tired.
Setherioth

Post by Setherioth »

I think it should be affected most by constitution as that is your toughness or endurance. Plus it should be effected by strength because if you were carrying more items it effects your stamina(proposed by Gro'bul) i'm not too sure about willpower but maybe(is willpower already used by something, because if it is i don't see the point of bothering to include willpower if the equation, but if it isn't then it might not be a bad idea because it gives a use for it)
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Well i was thinking willpower this way we wouldn't have pointlessly strong people with high hp,strength, and agility. Anotherwards to banlance out the stats so there isn't some phsycotically powerful person.