RP of Rape / Self-Injury / Violence and stuff.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Markous

Post by Markous »

These rules do not come from nothing.

I do also remember players who were doing BDSM ingame and were banned for that.

Illarion has it's roleplaying borders that should be respected.
Caeldrian

Post by Caeldrian »

Rofl bdsm? now i've heard everything.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

What is BDSM ??
Caeldrian

Post by Caeldrian »

Bondage sado-machism or something like that.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Lol, yeah maybe that gone too far.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

hm?
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

I'd like to think that we have, as a community, enough imagination to avoid roleplaying such things (rape, self-mutilation, etc). These are problems that are ever present in the real-world and I don't feel as if they warrant a digital roleplayed version.

However, in the past there have been incidences of these things in the game-world, so unfortunately, it appears that they must be referenced in the rules. AFAIK, there has only ever been banning for the roleplay of rape (regardless of whether both parties have consented to the roleplay).

Remember, you're roleplaying in a world of magic, dragons, zombies, secret caves, swords, political intrigues and castles..

..I can only hope that the aforementioned real-life issues can be brushed aside in favour of something more, fantastical.

Finally, as regards to the roleplay in question from the character that was cutting himself in public. I'd class this as poor roleplay. As mentioned earlier in the topic, the character wouldn't do this in public unless they were seriously mentally disturbed or possessed by a demon. Since the latter is frowned upon as being heavily unoriginal roleplay we're left with no choice but the former. I don't think that this roleplay warrants a ban, but a little chat from a GM (as I believe, did take place). However, if the player continues with blatant disregard for the roleplay or feelings of others, then perhaps more than a chat is required.
Ziel Oden

Post by Ziel Oden »

A toast to the Jap!
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Oh my, not long ago i once roleplayed having a halflings leg and eating into it.. but i was going into detail and.. well sorry for this anyone who witnessed me doing so!
Pharun Mizzrym

Post by Pharun Mizzrym »

As was mentioned I do firmly believe that Jeremy Said it best and Jeremy is an awesome name! (being my name as well :D). I do not think we need to continue this topic further, it has been dealt with and I feel that, and I hope that people will slow down a min to consider others. I believe we have a good community, for the most part, In game and on the boards.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I surely hope that we do not bound roleplay by mere logic.
Jon Childs
Location: Location not edited since 5/12/05-Join me in my quest for locations that are overly long and dated

Post by Jon Childs »

Gwynnether wrote:
What about suicide? Very Dramatic roleplay, and not to be used becuase "I got bored" - but in the right situation I think it would be wonderfull roleplaying.
Depends entirely on how you roleplay it. I don't want to mention a name, but I was rather disturbed by the roleplay of a woman who wanted to hang herself on the Naldor tree in the middle of the market place.
Julia Fertry? Anyway she died via troll hitting express.

Anyway, self-harm isnt bad if you RP it. Its just doing it which is the problem.
Enwell van Illdoran

Post by Enwell van Illdoran »

#me agrees

i think a woman hanging herself on a tree, in RL, would be kindda disturbing.. actually more shoking.. that all depends on your own rp skills to handle that kindda situation. maybe if your char wanted to say to another how he/she loves her/him, that would be disturbing.. but otherwise its stil a situation, that can happen, and, for my opinion, is correct rp.. aye?
Jon Childs
Location: Location not edited since 5/12/05-Join me in my quest for locations that are overly long and dated

Post by Jon Childs »

Aye, but Julia had a reason, She loved Zayha at first but she was rejected by him then she fell for another, got rejected and then for Pendar. Pendar ignored her after she said that she loved him so she got distressed and well wanted to die. Also the hanging, she tried to disguise it as a rope swing. lol.
Devrah Liioness

Post by Devrah Liioness »

That was so immature and childish and just quite close to the worst RP I've ever seen.

I could post from the log to illustrate this?
Enwell van Illdoran

Cliu Beothach wrote:I surely hope that we do not bound roleplay by mere logic.
well, actaully we playing with logic. we need to react logicly to things, like we would do in a similiar real situation... the only difference (ignoring that there is magic, orcs, elfs n stuff) we can decide how to react...example..
imagine you see a woman you never seen before killing herself. in real your a soft nice guy, which would react shoked, maybe cry, may run away n stuff. in this kinda situation you can't controll your reaction.. but ig your the tough fearless warrior, which have seen many people die..
you wont cry tears, maybe you will look at her for a while, not really shoked more some kinda suprised.
you what what i am try to say?
Devrah Liioness

Post by Devrah Liioness »

ANYWAY,

My position still stands on the issue. I will promise to never play a character that harms themselves if you-all that are whining about it promise to stop fucking in the middle of town. Kthxbai.
Enwell van Illdoran

yeah.. exhibitionism, is nothin for this game.. i mean where dealin withb conflicts between undaed and livin, orcs n humans, elfs and dwarf, but please, theres no need for exhibitionism.. right stephen? right, Bailey?
goooood, now everybody female an big intime group hugy, aye..
martin

Post by martin »

Moathia wrote:Ok, the reason rape is a bannable offence is because it's not only forced rp, but you can not know if the other player has had to go through that sort of violation in real life, what you see as a harmless game could bring severe problems for the person behind the screen. It has happened before.
First of all, it's not necessarily forced RP, the involved persons may ooc agree to it.
Secondly, and more important, what about people being traumatized by suicide?
Without going into details, but I guess that applies to me.

Martin
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I agree with martin here. The logic shown behind banning rape is not being consistent with other events.
Pharun Mizzrym

Post by Pharun Mizzrym »

even though this is just a "game" seeing it even if it is just text, is going to have an affect on certain people, not to point the dagger away from me so to speak, in the end it comes to being able to rp your style while showing some consideration for other characters and their players, if your truly hellbent on rping stuff that has been already argued to death on this and other threads , then just do so in private. -Pharun Mizzrym-
Sidrat

My five cents worth.

Post by Sidrat »

If someone has a gambling problem in real life that you knew about would you encourage the role playing of a character that was a gambler??

Granted you don't know until told personally, but I think the same goes for a real life alcoholic sitting in the tavern ig all day while in real life they're chucking back can after can?

How far should it be taken?? Just because the game has dragons and magic it doesn't negate the all too human habit of dependancy.

I believe in games as in real life there is a time and place for everything.. So what if characters agree to a bit of slap and tickle a bit of feather boa bondage and suchlike. This does not happen in the town square no matter how liberal the city is, it doesn't need to happen at public locations i.g either.

I suppose if a character wishes to open up some sort of private members club within city walls, they could do so?
Pharun Mizzrym

Post by Pharun Mizzrym »

as a matter of fact a very close family member is addicted to gambling, and it got her into alot of trouble, she stole from ehr very own family to fuel the habbit. but as you said there is a time and place for all this ingame, all that is needed is some consideration for players of this community.
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

I have been robbed at gunpoint before.

Does that mean I can have all thieving and RP of theft erased from the game?

Seems only fair.
Pronon Palmsuger

Post by Pronon Palmsuger »

Sex, drunkeness and self mutilation are all readily available on the off-topic forums, if you need that sort of thing may I direct you there.