New Client display on laptop

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

NirAntae

New Client display on laptop

Post by NirAntae »

Alright, this is minor, but it is fairly annoying.

In 'windowed' mode on the new client (fullscreen crashes), on my laptop, I can't see the bottom of the screen. If I move the window as far up the screen as it will go, it still cuts off the bottom half (including the numbers) of anything in the bottom row of the inventory area (such as my depot.)

Is there any way to alter the window and/or resolution size of the client so that I can see the whole window?

My screen resolution is at max, 1280x768.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

On my desktop computer its sort of like that. It doesn't crash in fullscreen mode, but in windowed mode I can't see a lot of stuff at the bottom of the screen. :/
martin

Post by martin »

@NirAntae:

Could you please post a screenshot?

The client window has a playable field of 1024*768 pixels. That should easily fit onto your screen, given that your screen resolution really is what you said it is.

Martin
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

I run a resolution of 1024*768 and I also have some small missing areas.
I use window mode and I have to drag the window a bit to see all. (Windows flickering bug in Fullscreen, and there I miss some pixels on the left - but on a screenshot I took everything seems fine :? ).

Screenshot taken with IrfanView (75% size) after launching Illarion:
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=sytnw6
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

My resolution is the same as well, and thats what mine looks like. In fullscreen mode it isn't as bad but its still there.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ ... nShot1.jpg

As you can see, my resolution is indeed what I said. And you can see that as it comes up, you can't see the bottom row of items at *all*. If I pull it up as far as it will go, I can almost see the top half of the bottom row... just enough that if I have an idea of what should be htere, I can tell *what* it is, but not how many.
martin

Post by martin »

Well, the thing is:
The INSIDE of the window is 1024*768. The status-bar of the window has some more pixels and so on.
Eventually Nop can say something about that.

Martin
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

martin wrote:The INSIDE of the window is 1024*768. The status-bar of the window has some more pixels and so on.
As I said... pulling it up *all* the way, so that there is only like 1-2 pixels showing of the status bar at the very top, gets it to where I can only see half of the bottom row of items.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

@ NirAntae:
My brother has the same prob, so put the task bar in the background or minimize it.
That doesn't change that the Illarion window/application really seems a bit too big.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

That's because the windows taskbar at the bottom is obstructing the window.
Try moving it to the side of the screen or something.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

My windows taskbar is minimized or 'hidden'. And I still have problems.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

Minimizing the taskbar does fix it for me.

But if the window is designed with a Z x 768 resolution, shouldn't the height of the windows taskbar be taken into account in the sizing? If it is in 'windowed' mode, it shouldn't go above the allowed height for a 'windowed' window.
martin

Post by martin »

NirAntae wrote:
martin wrote:The INSIDE of the window is 1024*768. The status-bar of the window has some more pixels and so on.
As I said... pulling it up *all* the way, so that there is only like 1-2 pixels showing of the status bar at the very top, gets it to where I can only see half of the bottom row of items.
If there are just 2 pixels left on the top, you should be able to see everything but 2 pixels at the bottom ;)

Martin
martin

Post by martin »

Ah, the taskbar!
Of course, that also counts. I have it hidden all the time.

Martin
martin

Post by martin »

NirAntae wrote:But if the window is designed with a Z x 768 resolution, shouldn't the height of the windows taskbar be taken into account in the sizing? If it is in 'windowed' mode, it shouldn't go above the allowed height for a 'windowed' window.
Well, why should the taskbar be taken into account?
Mine is only visible for some seconds per day, some people have it on the left or the right side of their screen, others use other operating systems and don't even know what the taskbar is.

Martin
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

Because a vast majority of people have it up, on the bottom of the screen, all the time?
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I do. My client doesn't come near that taskbar when in window mode.
Nop
Developer

Post by Nop »

Any program using the graphics card via DirectX or OpenGL can only use the fixed resolutions supported by cards. The client uses 1024x768 just like the hold client. The next possible res down is 800x480, but all the graphics would look crappy as they are designed for another res. Naturally, when the windows "inside" is just as large as the screen and there is something more around it, a few pixels get cut. But that is only a problem if the fullscreen mode crashes - which indicates a problem with the installed drivers as the client does exactly the same in both modes.
martin

Post by martin »

NirAntae wrote:Because a vast majority of people have it up, on the bottom of the screen, all the time?
Sorry, I don't get it.
You don't buy a new screen telling the shopkeeper that you want to have something with a resolution of "1024 times 756" because you have 12 pixels left for the taskbar, do you? ;)

Martin

PS.: All the poeple I know have the TB hidden all the time or don't use windows at all.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

You know me and I do not do that! :)
Myers

Post by Myers »

Hi,

I have a strange problem involving the new client, when I log in-game the main screen appears as usual (according to boremier) but there is no image of play (i.e. no field or chars) just black, the map window is blank, there are no items, the status bar is completely empty, no skills and no welcome message.

I know for a fact that it is not because I may be using an incorrect password or char, since Boremier even tried to log in.

PLEASE HELP!!! I'm desperate to play again!!!!

Many Thanks
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

I can think of a few possibilities off the top of my head:

1. Your computer is (or is running) too slow. Try closing some other things, if you have been playing on this client before, and if you have yet to get this client to run, try 'downgrading' some of the specs, like making the graphics resolution lower.

2. Your internet connection is too slow. (Unlikely, since I can play, but if you're on dialup and downloading other things, or something of this nature, that could be it)

3. The server itself is having issues, either down or lagging. I get this occasionally when the server is having problems.

If it's none of those... I have no idea. lol
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Take a look here:
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=17920

Nop has put up some possibilites why your screen may remain black, aswell some solutions.