makers of illarion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Poots

makers of illarion

Post by Poots »

who were the very first people to think, and make illarion? are they still around?
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

To my knowledge, Bror was the originator (or at least the figurehead of the originating team) of Illarion, along with a couple of others. Alatar is also well-known for his establishment in this game (he owns this site, though I'm not sure if his only work for the game is through the website).

Bror is no longer around, or so I am led to believe. As for Alatar, he maintains the site and is still an integral part of the community, even if we don't see him much.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Illarion Chapter 1 verse 1: In the beginning, there was Alatar. Alatar had an idea for an mmorpg that was based on real roleplay, and he saw that it was good. From the holy lands of Tibia he gathered others like him, immortals all: Galdriel, Ghorkan, Bror, and Martin.

The very first client was created by Martin and the graphics were by Ghorkan, but it was still very primitive. And so the client was expanded by Bror, and a newcomer named Baldur worked on the server, while Alatar was the webmaster and server administrator. It came to pass that Ghorkan left the project, and so Martin became the primary graphic artist.

And so, early in the year 2000, the first GM characters were created as the first round of players began to play. Those first GM's were: Elurin, Latharan Caine (now known more commonly as Damien), Neonfire, Baldur, Alatar, Bror, Galdriel, Randorr, and Ciryon (the last a mystery to most, but still around today).

Really, if you want to get into the nitty gritty of who had the most to do in the early days with creating Illarion (on a technical level) it would probably be a tie between Bror and Martin.
martin

Post by martin »

Aegohl wrote:The very first client was created by Martin and the graphics were by Ghorkan, but it was still very primitive.
The first *Illarion*-client (NewMUD to be exact) was written by Bror.

Martin
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Your history listed something like "basic server/client by Martin" before it lists Bror working on the client. There was the source of my confusion. =)
martin

Post by martin »

That's right, however this server/client-application was meant as my own project. However, Alatar and Bror used it as an inspiration for the network part of the code for "their" project (as far as I know).

Martin
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

There is a nice history written up somewhere..maybe we could make it available to players?
Poots

Post by Poots »

is Altar still around?
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

Yep. He runs the main website, is the main admin for these here boards and does a bunch of other stuff that I don't understand.
Alatar

Post by Alatar »

Poots wrote:is Altar still around?
Yes, I am still around. But not often to the public :wink:
There's a lot of work "backstage".
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Alatar wrote:
Poots wrote:is Altar still around?
Yes, I am still around. But not often to the public :wink:
There's a lot of work "backstage".
Does this mean the almighty one also plays Illarion?
Markous

Post by Markous »

I've seen Alatar on the Online Players List some days ago ;)
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Hehe, its like the second coming whenever I spot his name on there.
Poots

Post by Poots »

hip hip hooray for Altar!

I think I saw him online once....but back then I dind't know he was that important.
Josefine da Vince

Post by Josefine da Vince »

Poots wrote:hip hip hooray for Altar!

I think I saw him online once....but back then I dind't know he was that important.
it's AlAtar.... not Altar.... but you could build an altar to worship him... :wink:
martin

Post by martin »

Alatar wrote: There's a lot of work "backstage".
Yes. He's in charge when it comes to the hunt for some pizza.
;)

Martin
Poots

Post by Poots »

I'm good at that. if your ever recruiting a replacement, I'm your man 8)

sorry Alatar
Drogla

Post by Drogla »

Poots wrote:I'm good at that. if your ever recruiting a replacement, I'm your man 8)

sorry Alatar
haha, nice try

I think i have seen Alatar ingame twice in teh years i have been playing
Martin, do you even get on anymore? i think i might have seen you on once before
I know one of you dudes play(ed) a dwarf....

Hey, any chance that allthe old clients will be re-released? Ya know, as a history and such so every can see the progress teh game has made.
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

Drogla wrote:Hey, any chance that allthe old clients will be re-released? Ya know, as a history and such so every can see the progress teh game has made.
Oooh.... I think we'll just settle for being happy with just the screenshots from old clients O_o . All in favor, yes?
Drogla

Post by Drogla »

Delakaniam wrote: Oooh.... I think we'll just settle for being happy with just the screenshots from old clients O_o . All in favor, yes?
spoiling my fun :x

i started playing in 2001...the "new client" at the time was the first one to have isometric graphics, lol. Twas awsome.. (and i was only 12 at the time, haha)
Alatar

Post by Alatar »

martin wrote:Yes. He's in charge when it comes to the hunt for some pizza.
;)
You are a fink :)
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I couldn't resist. The original Drogla posts, for your viewing pleasure.
Sun Jul 28, 2002; Drag wrote:um, i liek the idea of eh e-mail aplication, but.....well, after u get an account if you are accepted, can u add a new charector withought having to write another application?
Sun Aug 04, 2002; Drag wrote:Tibia STINKS!. i have played that. when u leave teh game, u dont always leave out of that game itself wen u close the cleint. naD WHEN U HAVE LIKE, 30HP OR LESS hp wen u leave, u atomaticly die, anywere. i dont know y ne1 would play tibia over illarion. Tibia stinks, Illarion RuLeZ!

Drag
Drogla

Post by Drogla »

wow Korwin, you suprise me. My first charector...12year old casting flames on all his accidently planted grain in the middle of town =) haha
Char mizing-that was my crime for banishment...darn Dyluck for turning me in! haha
o well. Only couldnt play for a few months..like, 3 months, then i got to play for about 2 days, then the server went bye bye, thena few months for a enw server, THEN ic ould play..wow, that was painful, haha

o well-i think my posting quality has improved a bit, dont you Korwin?
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

Very much! Mine as well. I'm not saying I didn't do the same thing when I was new, I was demonstrating the rehabilitating powers of Illarion!
Drogla

Post by Drogla »

Ill agree it was Illarion
Just dont tell my parental units, heh; they would say it was this thing they call "Ejamacatiom" (education) hahaha
Karguk Inkathurg

Post by Karguk Inkathurg »

When you guys made the game did you think about naming it after a saint?
Alatar

Post by Alatar »

Karguk Inkathurg wrote:When you guys made the game did you think about naming it after a saint?
No. "Illarion" was the result of a brainstorming / contest, nothing more. The name before ("NewMUD") wasn't very atmospherically. So we decided to choose a new one.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

I looked up Illarion once on Google. It's a Russian name believe it or not!
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

That was said on like page 1, jikken. Hence the Russian Saint name talking.
paul laffing
Location: the place where only completely serious people are allowed

Post by paul laffing »

It tickles me how Jikken thinks he made a huge discovery. :idea:

Alatar is a god among men. :shock: