The importance of the new client

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

martin

The importance of the new client

Post by martin »

Hello out there,

I noticed that some people ask questions like "I can't play with the new client, how long will the old one be supported?".
This is not a good question and I can explain you why:

The new client should run on systems with very low performance if you tweak it a little (=play around with the options). In case you still do have problems, post them here (as detailed as possible). So it should be possible for all of you to let it run, unless you are using a very outdated hardware.
However, we can hereby add new graphics and sounds ANY time if we want without you noticing it (like a new type of monster/animal, walls, stones, trees, flowers, the bark of a dog, whatever). If you're still using the old client, you won't see ANYTHING of that. You wouldn't be able to really play Illarion anymore, whereas people using the new client see lots of new animals, walls, flowers, trees and so on.

So please, don't wait until the old client expires: The sooner all of you play with the new client, the sooner we can add new things to the game -- instantly!

Martin
Sir Giandor

Post by Sir Giandor »

Halo Martin,

vielleicht könntet ihr die Anpassungen der Optionen erklären. Schön wäre es, wenn man ein paar Musterpc's aufschreibt und mit welchen Einstellungen der Client am besten läuft. Das dürfte Einigen helfen.

Bsp.:

Prozessor X, xxxx Mhz, Grafikkarte, Betriebsystem, Ram etc.

und dazu dann die passenden Einstellung.
martin

Post by martin »

Wenn wir's selbst nur wuessten ;)

Martin
Nop
Developer

Post by Nop »

I'd like to add that the client already contains more than 100 new items and features that have been disabled and cannot be used as long as the old client is still being played.

We already have the list you mention:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=17988

It seems that the minimum HW requirement is between 400 and 600 MHz CPU and between 8MB and 16MB of graphics card memory. We have one machine 400MHz/8MB Graphics where the client just barely runs but freezes when there's too many large items. Above that limit it is mostly driver and configuration problems. During the beta test we were able to get all of those fixed, so this should work for the players, too.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

as soon as my problem's sorted out, im pretty sure the rest are just outdated pc things. Im sorry for being the cause of all this :(
Necrontyr_arising
Location: The Last Samurai is a brilliant film...."I knew a bob once, god he was as ugly as a mule"

Post by Necrontyr_arising »

Well my graphics card runs lots of good graphics games but somehow cant manage the new client...Seems my illarion life draws to an end...
martin

Post by martin »

Necrontyr_arising wrote:Well my graphics card runs lots of good graphics games but somehow cant manage the new client...Seems my illarion life draws to an end...
How optimistic.
Instead of playing around, trying to get the client to work you start bitching around about your ending Illarion life.

Well then, keep us motivated!

Martin
Nop
Developer

Post by Nop »

Necrontyr_arising wrote:Well my graphics card runs lots of good graphics games but somehow cant manage the new client...Seems my illarion life draws to an end...
Maybe your drivers are good for DirectX but lousy for openGL. Save your life: Goto www.opengl.org and look for better drivers.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

martin wrote:
How optimistic.
Instead of playing around, trying to get the client to work you start bitching around about your ending Illarion life.

Martin
No need to verge on being an ***, martin... :?
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

what error exactly are you getting? just being too slow? If that's the case, just try getting new drivers.
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

falco1029 wrote:
martin wrote:
How optimistic.

Martin
You can leave Martin alone, or meet my smiting stick straight in your forehead.

And Martin, please be nice, too.

As for the topic, I had to do a huge amount of tweaking, downloading, and incessant bugging of other players and developers in order to get the new java client working on my own computer. And as of now, it works excellently. Persevere, because it's worth every bit!!
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Delakaniam wrote:
falco1029 wrote:
martin wrote: How optimistic.

Martin
You can leave Martin alone, or meet my smiting stick straight in your forehead.

And Martin, please be nice, too.

As for the topic, I had to do a huge amount of tweaking, downloading, and incessant bugging of other players and developers in order to get the new java client working on my own computer. And as of now, it works excellently. Persevere, because it's worth every bit!!
Not the smiting stick :!:

And btw, i've tweaked everything, including my organs, which, of cours,e hasnt worked yet :cry:
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

It's important to try and get the new client working, players. We have several new graphics up-loaded for an upcoming quest and only players with the new client will be able to interact with these quest items. If it's because of laziness or old-fashioned loyalty to the old client that you won't update, then I recommend getting the new client asap. For those of you that experience technical difficulty with the new client, then post your problems here, on the technical board.
Tinuva Geogroda
Location: A Tree In The Northern Forest, Oh Noes, The Northern Forest Is Mine Now!! Mwhahaha...

Post by Tinuva Geogroda »

the new client works alot better now by me, i dunno how, but when i doesnt work good after some hours i need te restart my computer and it works again good for a long time.
Necrontyr_arising
Location: The Last Samurai is a brilliant film...."I knew a bob once, god he was as ugly as a mule"

Post by Necrontyr_arising »

Martin do you think I just tried to play the new client once, it didnt work then I posted that post? no of course I didnt! Ive tried everything, even new drivers wont even download for some stupid reason and they are the right ones. I want to play the new client just like everyone else but untill I get a way to play the new one, I use the old now and then.
Nop
Developer

Post by Nop »

Tinuva Geogroda wrote:the new client works alot better now by me, i dunno how, but when i doesnt work good after some hours i need te restart my computer and it works again good for a long time.
What computer do you use? What graphics card/memory?
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Misjbar just gave up on me. he has no idea whats wrong with my comps, nor do I, or my dad who's a pc expert. For now I can play on one comp rarely, cus I dont like bluescreening aftyer quitting, but that seriously limits when i can play. It basically takes away every other weekend and the early afternoon on weekdays. I've tweaked everything there is, reinstalled java twice, wiped my gfx drivers and reinstalled about 10 times, about twice with older drivers. I just dont know what could be causing this.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Oh wait! Have you considered installing drivers for your Motherboard yet?

P.S. That helped me last time.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

hmm, no, and I have no idea what type of motherboard i have, il lcheck windows real quick and see if it can get me some. Yes, depending on windows probably means lessening my chances of this working, but whatever ;)