Powergaming?!

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Net

Powergaming?!

Post by Net »

I accidentaly cast a spell on my self and killed my self! Well and it sayd stop powergaming! WAHT is powergaming?
GL treason

Powergaming?!

Post by GL treason »

in the past there were players trieing to train their Magic-Resistance by casting attack spells on themselves.
Since that was obviously no Role-Playing it is punished nowadays.

btw: powergaming means that u do something in a "powergaming" way just to increase your skills. so hardcore training....
Lord Chaos

Powergaming?!

Post by Lord Chaos »

It does not apply if you have a good roleplaying reason.  ex. your trainer is a mercenary by trade, like dax.
Damien

Powergaming?!

Post by Damien »

It DOES apply. Every TOO MUCH - training IS powergaming. If you train only the necessary skill amount to survive the "next" monster because you're in that "skill-hole", it is okay if you're a fighter.
Deryana

Powergaming?!

Post by Deryana »

Why is it not rpging to cast attacks spells on yourself. In real life I'm sure people would do it if they knew it would gradually make them resistent to magic.
Bror

Powergaming?!

Post by Bror »

Because it hurts -
I am pretty sure people wouldn't jump from skyscrapers, even it would increase their skill "skyscraperjumping" gradualy.
Echnaton

Powergaming?!

Post by Echnaton »

It is certainly a good idea that it is not possible to cast spells on oneself and gain resitance by it but how about removing the mortal consequences and replacing them by another appropiate feature?
I suggest this because it has happened more than once to me that I accidently hit myself with a spell when I only needed to cast very fast.

I have to admit it was quite funny in the beginning when the first people found out that they should not cast one themselves :D
but instead of killing a suspected powergamer you could just not rise their magres-skill. Another option could be that the client forbids casting on oneself.

Anyways I think it would be nice and I would be surprised if I were the only one who died by such an accident.
Terri

Powergaming?!

Post by Terri »

I agree...  we should make it so that instead of gaining Magic resistance skills go up when casted on self, make it so it goes down.  Then no one would or theorically should do it...  Thats probably a better idea to look into.
Serpardum

Powergaming?!

Post by Serpardum »

I just want to make sure *I* haven't been powergaming.  I am working on the mining skill, which means that I stand there mindlessly for hours mining for ore, coal, gems and nuggets, then I blacksmith the iron ore til my weight is back down, then do it again, etc... until I have too many items/gems, then I go process the gems, sell all the stuff I made, put the gems into my storage, then either do it all over again, or go hunt for awhile.

In a certain light this could be considered powergaming, but I"m just trying to get my smithing up high enought  to make good armor for myself.

Is this powergaming?  If so I'll stop.  But I know of no real other way to raise my blacksmithing.  I can already make chain mail, and I"ve been playing about 48 hours.  Um.. straight.
Hyssena

Powergaming?!

Post by Hyssena »

@Separdum: I think maybe you should look into something called "sleep"...
(hehe, I'm a hypocrite)

In my humble opinion, what you're doing is powergaming unless your character is a smith by trade (normally I would assume this, but you said you just wanted to make armor for yourself)... In real life, a person does not become an expert mechanic just so that they can build their own car. It's possible that they would build a car, of course, but more importantly they would work on other cars for money.

If your character IS a smith, on the other hand, what you're doing is ok... as long as you do other things. hehe... and I don't mean carpentry. After a load or two of iron, go to the tavern and have some ale, or cool off in the shade and greet the townspeople... interact with people, don't just work skills.

P.S. (Do expert mechanics have some kind of professional title? Sean, Lloyd, Mannelig, whichever one of you was the mechanic, help me out here...)
Falk vom Wald

Powergaming?!

Post by Falk vom Wald »

I would like to ask on the term of "powergaming": If I wish to create a second char, simply for a future roleplay, and therefore this char needs special high-level-skills, would it be to against the rules, to bring this char up to that skill before the char starts its action? And if so, how could you create someone like a unknown benefactor? He needs a lot of money, so the user needs to blow up one or two skills like mining and smithing, to sell a lot of stuff to eliza, to get the money he needs to let his char work.
Or if you like to create an evil one, needs to increase magic or fighting skills, before you can really use him as a serious menace to the people you want to play with.
If you would have to increase this char among the others, acting and playing, waiting until the skills will rise in a condtional way, it would take weeks to start with the playing you just made the char for. How could this be solved ?
martin

Powergaming?!

Post by martin »

every character starts at zero (well, with a special definition of zero or measured in special illarion-units). the role of each character will have to take that into account; if you wish to get children you won't be able to get a baby with a PhD at birth who holds the world record in speedskating. maybe your child will reach both requirements some day, but probably not as a baby.

of course, there are certain special quest-characters who appear already having certain abilities and so forth, but these are played by gamemasters. that may sound unfair, but illarion would be boring without unfair things. :)

martin
Galdriel

Powergaming?!

Post by Galdriel »

well  i suppose even evil ones (etc.) dont start as masters.
they have to work under cover for the beginning, lest there be a community of evil ones.
Chyan Guo Messenger

Powergaming?!

Post by Chyan Guo Messenger »

"but these are played by gamemasters. that may sound unfair, but illarion would be boring without unfair things. "

boring for whom? the gamemasters or the people martin. he he he.:biggrin: