Proposal - Guild

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Aristeaus

Proposal - Guild

Post by Aristeaus »

Im posting this proposal here so that all can agree or disagree with the idea.

The proposal i have in mind is a guild made by a GM or character whom has much time upon thier hands. The guild shall be made for new characters to Illarion.

It can give the new players a sense of community and help them within thier first steps until they feel they are ready to move on to survive upon thier own two feet. The GM or Character in question who leads the guild can help those within fit in with the currant community, guiding them in thier path and helping them come to grips with the complex craftings systems within the game.

It can also merge the new characters with the currant community in the areas of guild politics and quests, as specefic quests could be set up for the guild in question only, and being part of this guild could give the new players reason to lias with other guilds from instruction from thier guild leader.

I could write much more, but these are the basic foundations to my proposal.

ttfn

Darren
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

You get a free "I <3 n00bs" t-shirt.

We've got plans in the work for a newbie island that would, hopefully, render this proposal a moot point. =)
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

You forget i know all :p

And as to the newbie island
You forget i know all :p
Splendid ;) BUT, the idea of the guild primary will be to merge the players into the currant community, a task the newbie island will be hard pressed to do.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

I thought I fired you, good and proper, you sneaky devil. =)

I'll bite. How would such a guild go about doing this, though?
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Ok to be realistic it would have to be planned in stages. As i only came up with this thought not long past youll have to bare with me as im winging it.

Stage 1

Arrival to the isle.

In the acceptance e-mail a link and brief description of the guild can be given to successfull applicants. So those who are new know where to look for the information upon the guild, as i know for certain when i first played the game i knew nothing about the forum in general.

I know this has nothing to do with how the guild would run, but it could aid in how the guild will be recognised. And as i say you shall have to bare with me, im currantly at work so cant write to long a suggestion at each sitting. I shall update as i go through the day one stage at a time.

If any others have ideas or wish to comment upon each stage of the suggestion please do so.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

2) The founding of the guild

Illarion being the overly complicated game that it is, from what i have seen will refuse to have a guild appear as if from no where. So a story line shall have to be created for the GM whom is to set up the guild, and perhaps 2-3 helpers. We can all pull a story from the air so i doubt this would be a complicated factor.

This point will also be the point which addresses the reason why the guild founded itself. Be it a heroic tale, or a tale of scholarey, that is for the GM's/Players to devise.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

How about a sort of in-game Halfway house? Plotwise there could be an old lady or something that opens her large house up to newcomers until they can get on their feet, and she has friends that sometimes visit her and help out. There could be a house with a depot, some pigs nearby so newbies could train a bit and get food, and maybe an NPC that sells a few minor things that they might need.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

3) A Reason this can help.

New players to the game usually find themselves excluded from the currant communitues roleplay for various reasons :

* They dont know any players, when they speak to players, the player theyre speaking to will realise they are new and in 8/10 circumstances make an excuse to not speak to them.
* Players which would be helpfull to them may be involved in thier own roleplay which they cant afford to leave for this new gamer as it would be (( ooc ))
* The illarion community in whole is a selfish being.

So with these factors standing, the main reason for the guild comes to light. It shall give the new players a chance to roleplay with people within the same boat at they are. Not making them feel alone and singled out.

The joy of roleplaying with the currant community will still be there, but they shall have friends from the start.

Any questions they have which are within reason shall also be answered for them.

They shall see that the game involves more than walking from the mummys to the shop to sell thier swords, as those within the guild will learn the history of the isle from thier GM/Player supporters, and they shall have quests which shall get them within the spirit. Perhaps these quests will encourage the older members of the comunity to roleplay with the newer members, so the older members can be slightly involved in these story lines/Quests created for this new player guild.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I think its a fabulous idea (from someone who should be working ;]). Its well thought out and I'd participate, I'd help out. I think it would make us look a lot more friendly to newcomers than we do at the moment.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

4) OMG what Noobs how!!

Yes how could this be done, could it be run like a normal guild so that the players interact as any other guild would through out the week - Yes
But wait, if its like any other guild why is it in as a suggestion. :/

Ah yes the GM, player help factor, on a nominated night of the week an event could be set up for the new players, this event will bring the new players together to meet at a designated time within the week, so that new members are introduced.

It would be a tutorial guild in essence, but a tutorial to bring the isle closer.

If possible, perhaps accounts could only be activated upon the event day. As i stated earlier in the proposal these are just thoughts which im writing upon the board, much fine tuning is needed indeed. But if we are anything we are a close nit community, better than many team i know.

So people your thoughts and ideas, welcome please. Be it you think its a stupid idea, be it you agree but have thoughts on how it could be.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

To have designated times to activate accounts, you would definately need more than one person for this. Everyone's schedule is different.

I volunteer to help out with whatever this turns into :)
Josefine da Vince

Post by Josefine da Vince »

Should that really work out I'm willing to help.
The only problem I really see is that the house or area or whatever needs to be occupied for 24 hours 7 days a week, which is....hard to do, really and boring for the one that is online to wait.

Or should a NPC welcome the newbies 'til a player/ helper shows up to help? Or should it be like in UO (only played it once don't know if it is always the way or only on that shard) that you "scream" for help with a sort of !gm - comment, so that a helper can come for aid?

Just my two cents.
Cedric Kilmar

Post by Cedric Kilmar »

Hi

Well, i think thats a good idea in general, but i see some problems, too. I'm pretty sure there'll be many peoples that would help in such a project, at least in the beginning.

Now let's take into account that some newcomers aren't that experienced in RPing. They are shouting around in leet-speek and don't care for RP. (I wasn't that active in the recent past, but I'm sure this hasn't changed completly since I were. I know the Account-system should prevent that, but there are always peoples that slip through the net. That's just normal.) They probably even develop into nice RP'ers with some experiance and time, but right now they are just a pain in the ass. After some time you won't find volunteers anymore, because they're pissed off.

At this time all the work belongs to the GM's, who are on the other side working on new features, new clients, server-updates, quests etc... The more time they need to work on things like this, the less remains for the 'technical' side of the game.

So, in my opinion that's a concern of the community. Why do we need GM help for this?

I think an ingame help-channel would probably be enough. No need to force people standing aside some newcomer and explaining everything to him. That's neither for the newcomer nor for the helper an interesting work. I'd say an ingame contact-point for help would be a good start. Some kind of a !help-command for example, while everyone who likes could receive the message (default: disabled, of course). This way every player who's online could help, and there are no special GM needed for this. I know, there isn't something like a channel-system implemented right now, but i think the !gm-command works similar...

...just my opinion...
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Even if this idea does not come through, there are a number of people here willing to offer thier time to help new players.

Food for thought

Right work ;[ Im not going to get home tonight *sighs* Bck Sunday ish
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

For the record, I'm still listening. I like to see a thread develop sometimes.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

At this time all the work belongs to the GM's, who are on the other side working on new features, new clients, server-updates, quests etc... The more time they need to work on things like this, the less remains for the 'technical' side of the game.
The GMs are not on the technical side. The developers do everything technical. So that is not entirely true.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Besides, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to find people willing to look after newbies. Look away people, I'm not helping them with anything.
Devrah Liioness

Post by Devrah Liioness »

This sorta fits in wth the proposal I made awhie ago about players volunteering to 'tutor' newbies, and I was always disappointed nothing really came of that, so if this goes through I'll help :)
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

I'll help with what little time i could spare :)