Gemcutting...brought up again

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Gishmel

Gemcutting...brought up again

Post by Gishmel »

I know this was talked about alot in the past...

And sorry if this idea has already been said or was used, I checked the forums and coulden't find this exactly.

I was wondering if maby making better cuts on a gem would be possible with a higher skill? I don't mean like diffrent shapes but more like a poorly cut or a flawless cut gem in a ring, amulet, or whatever would make the items ability for life, speed, ect. better/worse, and would change the value of a gem(after all when buying a diamond in real life they can be more expensive with a finer cut). I know we have the Gemcutting skill, but that only gives you better odds to cut gems from what I know.

And I am not shur if maby a Goldsmith's ability to make a ring/amulet with a better quality gave the ring a better % for life speed...ect..

Just an idea....
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

Gems have already a quality and durability, it is just not visible. That is the reason why gems aren't stackable
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

That brings another point, It should be visible. I mean think about it, I could sell a gem in perfect quality and only get the same coppers for one in the worst quality. Not fair to the people with a good gemcutting skill.(mines 70 somthing on my only char that really cuts any so im not saying it for myself).
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I agree. There are many different difficulty levels of lapidery in the real world and many cuts are hard than others.
Cobocon (smooth half-sphere generally)
Rose cut (faceted cobocon)
Brilliant
Step cut (emerald cut is a type of this)

These are in order from easiest to hardest, the problem I see is without creating 28 more items for rings. If the gem type could be given to the ring in quality "Shiny, brilliant blackstone ring" "tarnished, cobocon diamond ring" it would possibly be more efficient since the 28 more gfx would look the same. Creating the gem graphics does not seem particularly hard for me.
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

You really like gems don't you?

I see you really thought about this entire gem thing in depth.

But would the names for a cut in the time frame of Illarion really be called Rose Cut, Cobocon, Brilliant, and Step cut? Or was that just an example? Anyway some one pointed out to me somthing about the gem grinding skill that I agree with. The skill is very hard to learn and very hard to get good at.
It seems almost pointless to waist to much time with it after it's hich enough to get one every 4 or 5 diamonds, because if theres no point but to get slightly higher odds to cut gems that you can easaly find hundreds of if you know the correct rocks and places to mine.

My main point was the skill gem cutting needs somthing else for such a difficult thing to learn.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

There would more than likely be thousands of different cuts and each cutter would have their own specialty. If memory serves most old gems are either in an emerald cut (rectangular) or a diamond cut (like the picture of the cut diamond in the game). Fancier cuts have been progressively popping up since it is becoming an art form and individuality in jewelry is becoming increasingly more important.
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

You know that just sounds like you wanted to show off your knowledge about gems.......
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

round, faceted, highly faceted, concave faceted, di-pyramidial dodecahedron. Names are not an issue, others can be easily come up with. I used their RL names so people know which cuts I am talking about. I don't think I understand, you want gem cutters to do more than cut gems? :?
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

No, not do more than cut gems just be able to show the gems quality. The gems have to show if theyre good like the diffrent quality cuts you spoke of. Like maby show the gem quality so gem grinders don't all have to sell theyre gems for the same price evan if the cut is better.

(sorry the first time i wrote this i messed up and it didn't make sense...or the second time or third..im really tired)
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

*shrugs* I don't personally think that it makes much difference since there isn't a real market for gems or jewelry yet. If it doesn't get bought much then why put the effort into making cuts or quality? Besides quality is pretty much absolute. If you succeed you could just assume that it was good quality and when you failed you either screwed up or it was low quality.
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

no market! a diamond ring sells up to over 1500 coppers. no ring is cheaper than 200 coppers. and i made over 2000 coppers in 2 days selling gems on one charictor of mine.
Poots

Post by Poots »

he has a point. I'm a goldsmith and there is a real market for gems and such. I see no reason why we can't see the value. what do the gms say?
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

yeah ive made 1000 coppers for a bag full of gems,theses is a pretty good gem market.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Poots wrote:he has a point. I'm a goldsmith and there is a real market for gems and such. I see no reason why we can't see the value. what do the gms say?
They like chicken probobly, OH BURNED! Somehow I doubt theres scripting for the gems, like what text will be displayed with the corresponding wear&tear value. Its not a matter of flick of a switch unless thats all scripted and in their evilness just decided not to put it in.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I have not found anyone to buy gems except the dwarf in front of the smithing building in Trolls bane. As for rings.....There just aren't a lot of people I have spoken to who seem to be really interested in them. I have been trying to find a goldsmith for days and can not seem to find one. Maybe it is the time of day I log in.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Grobby only agrees because he probably maked a hundred different graphics just in case this ever got brough up, and he doesn't want them to go to waste. ;]
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Perhaps different cuts of gems for different items, a certain cut to be used in rings. A certain to be used in amulets, goblets, etc etc. This would open up the range in its brother skill gold smithing.
King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

It's better that the gems remain seperate with hidden statistics rather than stacked. Alchemy would be good in this situation, making your own gems would be fun and useful.
Liles

Post by Liles »

I would like to see more cuts of gems for more rings as the goldsmith system is rather boring. In the blacksmith system there always pops up items you've never seen (If you've never been a metal worker in another char) but with goldsmithings it's predictable...Ring...Ring...New ring...Amulet...Ring...

Also, more rings with maybe more gems for a slightly added effect and to look funky.
King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

But Illarion does not have exterior graphics based on items the character is wearing.
Liles

Post by Liles »

Just to look at I mean, when it's on your nude dude or in your belt. It'd be nice but take some GFX work. Also, the whole weapons and armor visable will be out in the near future (10 or 15 years) so maybe in some time we'll have everything (25 or 50 years)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Liles wrote: so maybe in some time we'll have everything (25 or 50 years)
And by that time you log on by implanting yourself into a VR suit. :twisted:

-
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

Aristeaus wrote:Perhaps different cuts of gems for different items, a certain cut to be used in rings. A certain to be used in amulets, goblets, etc etc. This would open up the range in its brother skill gold smithing.
I think thats a great idea, like I said the gemmcutting skill is basicly like, cut 100,000,000,000,000 gems and you get all your gems cut from now on(supposably a better quality that isent shown because...oh yea no reason) and thats it. IT NEEDS SOMTHING ELSE FOR A SKILL THAT HARD TO GET! Somthing! anything!, please.

Making the skill easyer to learn would be another idea but still the skill would be boring.