Re-introduction of learning languages.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pocal

Re-introduction of learning languages.

Post by Pocal »

So, according to Manuel,
Markous wrote:
Alnerith Dencort wrote:i was wondering if it is possible to gain back your language skills or to learn new ones?
Gain back: Via GMs

Learn New Ones: Via GM lead Quests, via good RP, soon via static Quests.
I enjoy the fact that basically, except for the orcs starting with elven bug, that you can talk in your own language and not be heard by the other races. Whats the point of having racial languages if anyone can learn the other languages. Many people will lose the RP ability to talk behind others back openly, but in a racial language without the offendeded person knowing.

If it ever comes to a vote wether this is re-implemented, i vote no...

my 2 cents
Alnerith Dencort

Post by Alnerith Dencort »

well before i thought it would be cool to learn other languages but you have a very good point and now that i think about it i wouldn't like other races to beable to speak my language. but i still think that you should be able to gain back the skill for your original racial language that you lose when you die by talking in it enough. same with common language
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

You can learn very small skill amount of elf from an NPC, right?
Alnerith Dencort

Post by Alnerith Dencort »

really? which one?
Avareniah

Post by Avareniah »

The crazy one in the Northern Woods that has been alone too long and smokes too much sibanac.
AlaineMilan

Post by AlaineMilan »

Avareniah wrote:The crazy one in the Northern Woods that has been alone too long and smokes too much sibanac.
Wait you mean Damien?
Damien

Post by Damien »

Damien dislikes smoking Sibanac. He prefers eating it, and washing it down with beer and shrooms.
AlaineMilan

Post by AlaineMilan »

yeah and vomiting after this *frowns*
Damien

Post by Damien »

It was the mushroom in it. Wrong dose. He's not a druid, you know.
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

:|

It seems pretty silly to me to vote against a language learning function just because it's been giving you a technical advantage ingame. Just think about situations in the "real" world. There are probably PLENTY of people in your life who you preferred didn't speak, let's say, English. Just so you could talk about them behind their back...... to their face :P . Now think about it. I've seen plenty of people pretend to be ignorant in a language before in order to hear things said by other people who don't know the truth.

Yoo-hooo!! This is easily turned over to the RP world. You can play a character who interacts in only his native tongue by day, and then feverishly spends his nights studying the language of another race. Though I think it should be an extremely, extremely slow skill to acquire (a miniscule boost according to intelligence, perhaps), I'd say this should be implemented, should the opportunity arise to do so. Right now, it's as if we're taking advantage of it like some sort of private player-to-player paging function, like those used on Tibia.

As a personal example, I rode a German airline on the way home from Europe this past summer. I was kind of disappointed that my aisle buddies were a very smile-less American couple, instead of a friend from my group, or even someone who spoke German. So, for kicks, I pretended on the entire flight that I only spoke German. I'd talk to the stewardesses only in German, and I'd occasionally mutter some German things if I felt like it.

They didn't realize until nearly the other end of the Atlantic that I spoke perfect English :twisted: .
Maliss

Post by Maliss »

I have encountered a Human who spoke elvin in game, a play character no less. It nearly made me jump out of evil little skin as i was charming him in common and revealing my contempt in elvish. Then i realised he could only mumble a bit and catch a few phrases. How ever guessing how much he could follow was great.
Bring on the language learning for high intelligence characters, language should definately be a perk int.
Markous

Post by Markous »

Learning other languages is nothing impossible. It is a feature for those, who would like to RP a bit about it :) And you have to see you will never ever learn an exotic language of another race (like orcish as a human) 100%.

An example to gain another language would be: A player wants to learn elvish. He starts to RP that he lives in Vanima, and finds an elven tutor, who teaches him elvish. They make some RP lessons, the player gets teached in elvish ways, etc. etc.

Now they could find a nice GM who will give player A maybe 10% skill in elvish language. With this you could understand some phrases.

This is of course just an example. No guarantee for anything ;)
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I like the idea of being able to learn other languages. However, I think that certain languages should be harder to learn for other races than others. For instance, an orc should have a very hard time learning elvish, and vice versa. I've always imagined that elvish would be more flowing and well...pretty sounding :wink: and the orcish language to sound rough and short.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

My oppinion is that you can learn other languages but the skill raises REEAAALYYYY slow and can only increase if studied alot and by comminicating in elfish
HHNH

Post by HHNH »

Also make limitations. If character has for example 10 int he can`t understand more than 40% of frazes and he can study as much as he want, but he won`t reach 41% :) And if you have max int you still should at max learn ~80% Don`t tell me that you know ever word of foregein language :)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Could we have something like this? SImple and COmplex versions?

The simple is to allow someone to learn from you
The complex requires more skill and you won't learn a thing either way

FOr example this sentence is simple : I want to eat some bread
WHislt this means the same thing: I wish to injest a fraction of bread

In the 2nd, its hard for someone to understand you... and probably you'll be speaking so fast that you wont make head or tail of it

In the first, you speak slowly and with lots of gestures so your friends can learn.

My ideas
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

HHNH wrote:Also make limitations. If character has for example 10 int he can`t understand more than 40% of frazes and he can study as much as he want, but he won`t reach 41% :) And if you have max int you still should at max learn ~80% Don`t tell me that you know ever word of foregein language :)
Do not tell me you know every word of your own language. I think my english is above average, atleast I like to think this, and my knowledge of the language (purely the language) is more than 80 percent. Just to set a statement.
HHNH

Post by HHNH »

Misjbar wrote:
HHNH wrote:Also make limitations. If character has for example 10 int he can`t understand more than 40% of frazes and he can study as much as he want, but he won`t reach 41% :) And if you have max int you still should at max learn ~80% Don`t tell me that you know ever word of foregein language :)
Do not tell me you know every word of your own language. I think my english is above average, atleast I like to think this, and my knowledge of the language (purely the language) is more than 80 percent. Just to set a statement.
My language ir very rich :p so yes, i don`t know every word of it. I wrote percents only for example.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

as many peoples,i agree that it should be implemented that we can learn another language with real hard time.Thought i totally with the intelligence that change about it,and magic shoulnt be directly affected by intelligence,leaning spells aint need intelligence,it need memory.And intelligence is much more complicate than just spell casting and if that skill was reworked it should affect much more things.A sage can be said intelligent without using magic as i think,i also think that a mage can be totally stupid,just my advice :wink: .
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Mages need to understand what their doing...

Someone studing for say electromechanics wold need intelegence to understand it all, you cant just learn all things for there may be exeptions and wierd cenarios, you cant be tought everything there is for you wold be dead before you where to finish.