PVP= Players VS Potions

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

PVP= Players VS Potions

Post by Pendar »

The game has currently taken an interesting turn as the war spills out among players with two definite groups now warring after today’s events.
This also means that the current state of potions makes the game nearly unplayable....
What I have seen today..
A single warriors survives while being chased around for 5 minutes constantly "Glug glug" coming through my speakers.
Certain characters able to survive attacks from 4 players and keep fighting on and on. Again drinking potions the whole time.

Problem is potions insta heal so if i have 30 potions even if i have to deselect my target i am back at full health so i can fight on. This makes PvP impossible at the moment.
Also it is my preference to step back at least one space and #me my potion use... I am annoyed that i am going to get killed for a good rp habit. While we fight enemies harder to kill than a gm lich because they just use potions mid battle.

This is not an attack on peoples role play the potions problem is not new. And no one likes dieing. How ever now we have a real PVP war starting something needs to be done and fast.

We either need a cool down on potions you can only use one or two in a certain time.
Or we need the old slowed healing back as i know this game those potions did not give you health back fast enough to survive four skilled attackers.
Truly those who know me know i don’t care who wins or loses and also generally don’t like making clouds. How ever this simply takes any fun away from combat. Something has to change...
The easiest solution seemingly the old potion script or a serious cool down time between using them.
Brian

P.s pushing with out emotes sucks to..
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Possibly a device like the push freeze. When you drink one potion you cannot use another item for a designated amount of time.
Gwynnether

Post by Gwynnether »

Best thing we get the old potion script back.

I really enjoyed the start of the new client when there were no potions at all, hehe. Of course I lost nearly every fight, but at least it was fair.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Cliu Beothach wrote:When you drink one potion you cannot use another item for a designated amount of time.
That's a matter of 5 seconds to script that. Hey, even I can do that ;-) The question is if this solves the problem. The current state is bad, I agree.

Time depending effects (like healing) were disabled, I cannot tell you any details.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

we DEFINATELY need a cooldown for healing potions, atleast a minute long cooldown, and maybe not being able to drink one while BEING attacked.

Today i fought arameh, he drank over 8 potions in about 5 minutes-ish. Its really annoying, its now a battle of potions. And in the battle he never once used a #me. Though i didnt either, because im not going to be at a disadvantage in the battle because my opponent doesnt want to RP. And he actually had the nerve to run to his depot, GRAB coins, and BUY potions WHILE we fought. This is a probalem that needs a fix asap.

Or we could get two different potions. Regen potions and the potions we have now. The regen potions are the slow acting ones, but have no cool down. And the regular ones are instant but have like a minute and a half cooldown.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Estralis Seborian wrote:
Cliu Beothach wrote:When you drink one potion you cannot use another item for a designated amount of time.
That's a matter of 5 seconds to script that. Hey, even I can do that ;-) The question is if this solves the problem. The current state is bad, I agree.

Time depending effects (like healing) were disabled, I cannot tell you any details.
I think it would atleast hinder it. A 30-60 second delay would stop one from using potions just to win fights.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

30-60
That would make potions completely useless, assuming you were frozen for that amount of time.
Even not being able to attack for that amount of time would only increase people running around drinking potions.
As i say i saw some chased by 8 people not fighting back even just shooting potions down.

The best option would be either a cool down for potions if you use one you cannot use one again for 60 seconds. You can fight as run as normal but not use a potion again.
This would change the game hugely, how people handle MOBS and PVP.Perhaps both for the better.

A second option is to get the old potions back with a slow health regain, as it was on old sever a double axe in good hands would lower your health faster than potion could restore it.

I don’t have a perfect solution; i can only say the situation is so frustrating that i really sapped the fun out of things for me this evening. It also leads to a battle that went on far too long and all around town.
As stated in first post this isnt a RP issue its using the client to full advantage, where or not that’s ethical is players choice.
Of course some one buying potions while being attacked is just :roll:
Brian
Kamik Windslasher ~

Post by Kamik Windslasher ~ »

So what?
People will just continue running for 60 seconds.
Or drink a potion, get back into the fight and let's say it lasts for 60 seconds or more, then the cicle repeats.

And even on the last client it was like this. People used to run until the effect of the potion healed them completely.
Hmm, but maybe there is another way to prevent people from carrying lots of potions. Firstly, making potions not stackable. So one would need a lot of space if he wants to carry 30 bottles around. Also, the bag space could be more limited.
Or maybe create a new square in the equipment shard. For bottles, and since potions wouldn't be stackable anymore, only one would be carried by each one.
Markous

Post by Markous »

The best solution for this is imho a slowly regaining healthbar when drinking + freeze for a few seconds (2-4). That will make it quite fair.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Potions would not be useless with a cooldown. They give, what, about half a health bar? That increases your lifespan by 50%. I'd say that's pretty useful.
Alkuurg

Re: PVP= Players VS Potions

Post by Alkuurg »

Pendar wrote:The game has currently taken an interesting turn as the war spills out among players with two definite groups now warring after today’s events.
This also means that the current state of potions makes the game nearly unplayable....
What I have seen today..
A single warriors survives while being chased around for 5 minutes constantly "Glug glug" coming through my speakers.
Certain characters able to survive attacks from 4 players and keep fighting on and on. Again drinking potions the whole time.

Problem is potions insta heal so if i have 30 potions even if i have to deselect my target i am back at full health so i can fight on. This makes PvP impossible at the moment.
Also it is my preference to step back at least one space and #me my potion use... I am annoyed that i am going to get killed for a good rp habit. While we fight enemies harder to kill than a gm lich because they just use potions mid battle.

This is not an attack on peoples role play the potions problem is not new. And no one likes dieing. How ever now we have a real PVP war starting something needs to be done and fast.

We either need a cool down on potions you can only use one or two in a certain time.
Or we need the old slowed healing back as i know this game those potions did not give you health back fast enough to survive four skilled attackers.
Truly those who know me know i don’t care who wins or loses and also generally don’t like making clouds. How ever this simply takes any fun away from combat. Something has to change...
The easiest solution seemingly the old potion script or a serious cool down time between using them.
Brian

P.s pushing with out emotes sucks to..
Yea, i agree i shouldn't have used all them potions, and i'll try not to use them that much again. But this is just me, but the fight around town i didn't use any potions at all. Perhaps for this kind of war an unwritten rule of say, only using a certain amount of potions for each fight? I would be willing to with it even if the number is 0.
Errian Abêth

Post by Errian Abêth »

I wonder why the old-new potion system (quicker regenerating health bars) was taken away, it was a good thing.

You could still drink three potions to regenerate quicker but it was still more difficult than now.

I must agree with the others, as it was some years ago, the one with most potions wins.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Well

Currently there is such a freez effect. Around 1,5s i think.

The current problem is, that i'm not sure, if the slow hitpoints increase is working on the game server.

i could test this. but i it is not aktivated, i crash the server...

with the next server update this system is aktivated again. When this happens, the potions will be changed.
Pendar

Post by Pendar »

Ah well then we have our answer patience will be required 8) Thanks Nitram.
alkurg wrote:Yea, i agree i shouldn't have used all them potions, and i'll try not to use them that much again. But this is just me, but the fight around town i didn't use any potions at all. Perhaps for this kind of war an unwritten rule of say, only using a certain amount of potions for each fight? I would be willing to with it even if the number is 0.
As i say I really wasnt trying to paint any one as "bad" on the other side of the coin you had between 5-8 people attacking you. Some of them where not using emotes either. I am sure some of the "good" guys drank potions to etc etc.
My main point was it is an easy abuse bug and it is only a matter of time before some maniac uses 30 potions to kill a large group or some one they would normally not stand a chance against.
When PVP occurs in Illarion we are all in that action mode and its far to easy to click the potion again and again, in the heat of battle.
The solution needs to come from the client and as Nitram has told us it shall...
I would happily agree to a potion rule how ever having played for a year, i know some one will break it, or some one will drink a beer near by and we will all think some one did etc. It will lead to even more mud throwing...
I think we can just all agree to use #me's even if they are simple ones personally i lag horribly so where as I use long emotes in duels #me attacks X is about the best I can do and manage PVP .As well try and get some space between us and an attacker before using a potion.
Brian
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I believe this is similar to my idea. When someone drinks a potion, I did not mean for them to freeze for 30-60 seconds, but their items lock. I wonder if this would be possible.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

yeah the potion system needs to be changed,its true yesterday Salathe was chashing me in the city,i got at the depot took coppers,gone to the shop that sell potions and bought like 10,the potions should be changed for sure but not only that.A chasing system would be needed too,like now you just have to push the key and no one can get you its too easy to escape,i nearly escaped from 30 persons on me yesterday,on the roof.Thought i disagree of #me always,if there are 4 persons on you you have no time to #me every second thats not the key of helping this problem,moving aways is a start thought.
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

I agree with Brian, exept for the fact if indeed mobbed you cannot move back. Maby we could just #me where we are. After all a potion(if they were real and had same affects.)could drink in a matter of seconds in real life so when the new fighting system is implimented a mob could easaly be a person because they cannot face everyone at once. And also not letting potions stack would be a good idea like Kamik said.

And arameh does have a point there...but this problem is not esaly fixed of corse mobbing would be less likely if people didnt happen to know where we were and when....
Ellaron

Post by Ellaron »

Didn't the potions used to have a high food value so if you drank more than a couple you got sick?
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Yes.
Pendar

Post by Pendar »

A possible temporary solution could be to make potions DAMN heavy? Would prejudice low strength characters though....

Rest is random thoughts.
You people are some what easy to find, where could they be..hmm in town or at the castle.
Well they couldn’t be at the castle cause they know if they go there they would get killed....or could they :?:
No must be town then?
You can see it didn’t take a huge leap of logic when pendar couldn’t find certain people to look in town.

Sorry but your group is predictable; perhaps you would have less need of potions if you actually stayed away from the castle. Instead of coming there walking right to the malachin shrine as if axes dont cut you?
With all of that in mind i find the OOC commentary i was using msn to locate you people a little stupid. As frankly if you are not at the castle you are in town no?
Salathe was chashing me in the city,i got at the depot took coppers,gone to the shop that sell potions and bought like 10
If a bug in the client let you max your skill in a day would you use it?
This is a role-playing game, please try and behave in a realistic manner.
exept for the fact if indeed mobbed you cannot move back.
Ever tried to drink a potion with axes flying at your face? Not the way I rp how ever if you drank 2-3 i wouldn’t be overly offended. If you drank 12 i would be annoyed.

Brian
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

The thing is if you are getting the crap beat out of you by ten people, you wont be able to stand there and drink a bottle of stuff. They would smash that up before it even got near your mouth.

Perhaps if you have been hit in the last second you can't drink a potion would be a good potion.

As for the problem with mobbing, thats your own fault for getting into a fight where the odds are heavly against you it is not an excuse to sit there and drink potions, none of my characters have died in this quest because they know when to fight and when to run.
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

"us people" only go in town to run from "you people" and we train alot to so we dont get killed...over and over and over.(for the same reasons i may add).

i would if i could see when my char. was hit.
Last edited by Gishmel on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

what gishmel mean is that when there are problems,for instance the "rebels" attacking thr castle,the castle is nearly empty and after 1 minutes its crowded of fighters,so that mean everyone go tell the others on msn,after telling us we do bad rp because we didnt #me while taking a potion,that piss me off.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Nevermind.

When playing a "rebel" it is known that you will lose most your battles, unless of course you have certain devices you wish to use other than a straight foward attack. Expect to be overnumbered.
Last edited by Cliu Beothach on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

No I think you'll find that most of the time people are scattered around the castle when you walk in, and when they here you all shouting they come running.
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

but when attacked somewhere else.....20-30 min later after being in/around the castle. thats another thing so some people need potions in that instance.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Well by that time, you will be healed.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

our characters are getting killed at seens,everydays and every seconds and we hve nowhere to go,its realist that they want to avenge and do whatever they can to and train a lot not to get beaten everyday,thats just logic.
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

being healed has nothing to do with it when 5 or 6 people attack
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

It is also realistic the town will hunt you down as you say. Consequences come with the game, of course it could be a logical reason, but also moderation is key. You are being hunted and chased with hardly any place to hide.

being healed has nothing to do with it when 5 or 6 people attack
So, you should be able to use potions when you are over numbered?