GFX Problem

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Hermie

GFX Problem

Post by Hermie »

Whenever I try to play Illarion, the part of the screen which shows the terrain etc. is entirely pink and some of the graphics that should be in that frame show transparently in the text box.

I'm pretty sure that it's likely to be a problem with my gfx card, but is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

Thanks for your time.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

If you already tried deleting the client, re-downloading and -installing, I must agree it's probably something that has to do with the gfx card.

Sorry, I have no idea what could be causing it other than that.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Use the search button, as this has been brought up before.

Wait, I will do it for you.

EDIT

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... ink+screen

Follow Rackere's advice on this one.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

I've updated my drivers and I have the latests direct x.

:cry:
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

try other, Older drivers for your graphics card.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Go run type dxdiag; and follow the tests.. it will check everything...
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

I've tried with old drivers and new drivers, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, redownloading and I did the dxdiag which didnt find any problems.

Confuzled.
Thalodos Artemetus

Post by Thalodos Artemetus »

Hmm, maybe you need a new computer?
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Did you change any hardware since the last time you were able to play Illarion (without this issue), or are you using a different computer?

It would also be good to know what specific gfx card you've got installed.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

I upgraded my hard drive, motherboard, cpu, and ram.

I'm having a gfx problem with Rome Total War too, but I think thats a problem with the installation. Since all my other games work fine. Although I did have some problems with the Sims 2 which were similar to the problems I'm having with Rome TW.

My gfx card is a 128mb Radeon 9600 se series.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

I went browsing the Tech support forum.

I have some good, and I have some bad news.

The bad news first: It seems like a bunch of people have encountered this problem. It also seems like there's no real solution for it; I've found none and nobody has ever brought a solution against it as far as I could see, except for what has already been posted in this thread here, basically.

The good news: Everybody who reported it on the Tech support forum, basically had an ATI ##mb Radeon ####. Meaning you could experiment if you still have another, perhaps older card, and see if it still works with that. Furthermore, it could be that a certain version of drivers specifically works, and the others don't.

I'm sorry, but I found no decent solution for this. What you could do is do a forum search for "ATI 128mb Radeon 9600" in the tech support section, read up who else posted this issue, and try to contact them and find out if/what they found as a solution to it. Which leads me to other bad news, I'm not sure if any of the people who did post about it actually still visit these forums nowadays.

Is it just my impression, or is this a "bug" of the client of sorts that's worth looking into?
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

Well, I've played Illarion on this card before. It's just since I got my new stuff (mentioned on previous post) and re-installed windows that the problem has occured. Same with Rome TW.

I'm thinking I may want a new gfx card anyway, especially since Obivion looks like it'll need uber amounts of shizzle to run. If I do get everything and Illarion still doesnt work, I'm going to be very annoyed with my computer, and may have to shake my fist at it!! AND NOT IN THE GOOD WAY I USUALLY DO!!!

:evil:

Anyway, I'll just try some stuff and if I get any results I'll post here.

Thanks for the help anyway :D

I love you,
Rob.
Calen Plane
Location: At his computer wasting his time thinking he is a dwarf on Illarion.

Post by Calen Plane »

The problem may be that your graphics card is too good for illarion to run it. (It happened to me so I know it can). Right click the desktop and click on properties. Then click on the settings tab and click the advanced button at the bottom of the screen. It should take you to the graphics card driver configuration window and click on the troubleshoot tab. Toy around and see which settings allow you to see the terrain screen. I hope this helps.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Download ati catalyst control centre,
Its a nifty application all ATI users should get anyway but it will also let you basically disable your card with minimal fiddeling.
I run an ati radeon pro 64mb "yeah yeah i rock", i have not had this problem with illarion but have solved similar issues with other games by using the catalyst control centre.
Brian
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Pendar wrote:Download ati catalyst control centre,
Its a nifty application all ATI users should get anyway but it will also let you basically disable your card with minimal fiddeling.
I run an ati radeon pro 64mb "yeah yeah i rock", i have not had this problem with illarion but have solved similar issues with other games by using the catalyst control centre.
Brian
You also have this for NVidia. There is also a setting in there which fixes the pinkish lines some NVidia cards make Illarion have.