In need o' a bit o' help.

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Katriona

In need o' a bit o' help.

Post by Katriona »

I read through the manual, got my account and character, and logged in, anxious to find what awaited me in Illarion. However, I found that I am having a bit of trouble getting things to work as instructed in the manual.

When I try to startup a trade sequence with what I think to be an NPC (speaking of which, how exactly is it determined whom is an NPC and who isn't?) I hold shift, and click on them, and nothing happens at all.

Then I try to sell an item, I hold shift, select the item, then click on the NPC and nothing happens there either.

Are there only specific NPC's that buy/sell goods? And if so, where might I find them?

Another problem I was having, was in the Library. I was able to shift +click the bookshelf and bring up the books in the lower left corner, but I was unable to figure out how to actually read the book. I tried shift clicking on the books themself, but that I noticed, nothing happened from this. Something I did caused the book to go to the floor, but I was unable to pick it up or do anything with the one that was named. I repeated the process with a book simply called "book" and was able to put it onto the floor, and pick it up into my inventory, then put it back onto the floor again, but unable to read it. I was also unable to put the books back to the shelf, although I don't know if I am supposed to be able to do that.

I have seen some mention of text commands within the forums, such as typing HELP near an NPC, which I plan to try once I log into Illarion again, but the thing is it leads me to believe everything is done by text command rather than shift +clicking, so is the manual outdated? And if this is the case, is there another manual somewhere, or list of commands, that would further aid the new player along in the world?

I am sure I will have many more questions along the way, but I think this gets it for the time being. How can I tell an NPC, where can I find one to buy/sell, how do I start a trade sequence, and how do I read books?

Thank you very much =)

*Edit, just noticed the NPC commands thread, lol (doh!) but the other questions still remain unknown =)
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

The manual is indeed outdate, and you guessed right, NPC are adressed with text commands.
There are some topics on this section of the boards that help your further on how to use a NPC.

To read a book you do as you already did, but leave the book laying down on the floor, it is impossible to pick it up.
Upon using the book on the floor your character will read one page, which page that is, is dertermined by the counter in the lower center of your screen.
So 001 is page one of a book, 005 is page five of the book (if there are so many pages).
Books labled as "Books" are empty, at least according to what I have experienced. You need to look for books with special titles.
Katriona

Post by Katriona »

Hmm.. Well I did try to use it whilst laying on the floor, however, I couldnt not see it displayed anywhere. The unnamed books I believe said something like "reads a book but learns nothing new" but the named books I could not seem to get to display anything. The book I was trying I believe was called the book of magic, or on magic, something like that. Nothing seemed to display anywhere that I could see, perhaps I was looking in the wrong place?
Llama

Post by Llama »

If you read a druid's book before trying to read the magic one... it wont work... pick a book on a different topic...
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

And if this is the case, is there another manual somewhere, or list of commands, that would further aid the new player along in the world?
There is a new manual coming VERY soon. There is a list of commands in-game that should help you. Press F1 to F5 to see some easy commands. There is also a topic on the newbie board about speaking with NPCs.
Deaden

Help me please

Post by Deaden »

Hi i downloaded the program and such but when i run it all that comes up is a black screen what is rong with this? if you can help please help?
Belegi

Post by Belegi »

The server is currently down. Just wait some time.

http://illarion.org/statistics/us_histo ... layers.php

As soon as the horizontal line ends, the server is up again.