the orc attack, a foul trick

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nilo

Post by Nilo »

. I was angry that they took the possibility for us to take PART in the rp, because that this is, a game.
Okay its a GAME and yet your angery....??

Anyway, as we said, it really isn't our fault that the timezones are different.... Americans are usually busy on the weekends while Germans are not.. its all backwards. But hopefully we can all have a nice big battle soon enough...
Galim

Post by Galim »

i don't do miltikilled and not like many other players i dont come back from cross to fight and roleplay that i got hurt, something which many other players, often from america, seem to ignore.

2. so you roleplayed a sneaky attack while everyone sleeps with loud horns and noises? Oh yes, so you want me to say that a horde of orcs with horns and drums may attack a town in the night on a sneaky way, with noone hear it?

p.s. if you dont can do that rp in times everyone may attemp you shouldn't do it afterall. sorry, but just because you live in an other timezone dont gives you the right to do rp which influence EVERYONE at times where as good as noone of the others may attemp. THAN DONT DO THE RP!
Galim

Post by Galim »

Just dont be all mad.. its already happend. The only thing for you to do now is to RP trying to change it.
you mean like yesterday when the fighters of the town waited all day and night for the orcs to come and roleplay our try to change it but noone of the orcs arrived? Very funny. do you know how damn hard it is to gather the good fighters just in time when perhaps enough of you orcplayers are around? We have not much chances.
Kaja Wolfagen

Post by Kaja Wolfagen »

Is this topic still here. I would have thought people would have been bored with it, wrong as allways am i not.

As to the attack being unfair, yes and no. If the orcs decided to attack when all the German players were online, it wouldnt have been much of a threat now would it. And i also think it was a blessing in the way that it actually allowed some characters apart from the normal would be heros who charge on ahead in battle to have a chance to play.

To solve this the guards could enlist some american players perhaps to help balance the american playing orcs.

If you wish to put this in game terms i would say the orcs attacked during the night while thier was a minimul watch posted.

And as to the saving Eliza event. The only reason for the people comming back later with more orcs on was myself.

A lot of players had shown up to roleplay and have some fun, and i admit to forgetting about the event personally because of matters in rl i was busy. When i was reminded and did show up, i was the only orc player. That would have suited me fine, but i tried to look at it from the point of view of all the other players who had turned up to have some fun, i doubt it would have been exciting for them after all this planning to walk into the skull cave, kill Kaja and then say ' We have freed Eliza '.

That is the reason i asked for more time, so i could msg people like crazy and try to get some players online to make the game more fun for 'You'. Not myself.
Galim

Post by Galim »

To solve this the guards could enlist some american players perhaps to help balance the american playing orcs.
too funny that most american players prefer to play orcs or characters who are not friends of trolls bane or who are simply no guardmaterial. Its wonder we found Pendar for the guard. And with Alora one of our best guards, one from american timezone, went away.

to be honest because there was beneath just fighting rp and no other rp when she was online together with the american players. she got bored of it
Kaja Wolfagen

Post by Kaja Wolfagen »

too funny that most american players prefer to play orcs or characters who are not friends of trolls bane or who are simply no guardmaterial. Its wonder we found Pendar for the guard. And with Alora one of our best guards, one from american timezone, went away.

to be honest because there was beneath just fighting rp and no other rp when she was online together with the american players. she got bored of it
I cant argue there, and it think thats why alot of the american players play orc and PG, they probably have nothing else to do. But i know for a fact that the GM's are allready taking steps to change this.
John Irenicus

Post by John Irenicus »

Veralion mentioned before that it is not easy to play an orc. I understand that, I can see your points. But, please think about the situation of trolls Bane too. The Bloodskull, united, because some of the clan were threatened by the guard an the rose, attack the town (with help of npc monsters, evil and summoned forces). They lose. Nevertheless, the attacks continue. Between such events, orcs come and want peace. Now, one day before the meeting of the Town council (and belive it or not, we had decided to let you back in :roll: ) the same orc who one day before wanted peace and "licked" our boots comes and claims the town.
There is no logig in these actions, and you see what the confusion does.

The claiming was not fair, of course, since we had to wait until you had enough people to defeat us in the fight in the cave (we were thrown out with ooc insults and such, but nevermind), you should wait until we have enough too. There may be a problem of the timezones, but nothing that couldn't be solved, wars in the past have showed that.
Conscience wrote:It's because of players like you Galim.
Actually, it is because of people like you, stop flamewaring. There exist something like "If you have no clue, just shut up." So please. :wink:
Last edited by John Irenicus on Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaja Wolfagen

Post by Kaja Wolfagen »

I think youll find most of the orcs were oblivious to the attack, includeing Veralion and myself. There are allways two sides to an arguement. Hence the arguement.

I would happily leave this topic where it stands. I do hope you agree.
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

i seem to remember the dwarves attacking the movement base when no movement member was online. burning the wall of trees we set up, it is not unlike what the Bloodskulls did.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Galim wrote:

May I remind you that Pendar is in the same timezone as you Galim? And I think it is funny that you bring up the argument of "p.s. if you dont can do that rp in times everyone may attemp you shouldn't do it afterall." I think this is VERY unfair to them(and to yourselves). If they try it around a time when germans can participate, there just are not many american players who can participate. That is just the way it is.
They have lives just like you, have school, have detention (yes, I'm referring to myself, though I'm a GMT+1'er too.). And that thing I just quoted is not very userfriendly versus American players. Maybe you should find a compromis, not let them adapt to you.
Mimblethorp

Post by Mimblethorp »

While we agree that it would have been better to announce the battle on the board (more people on = more and better RP opportunities) I thought those there RPed is very well.

There was much pleasing chaos, I wish I'd had a roasted ear of corn. And not many people died. Even Pendar, caught without his armor was able to survive.

Although Heratio is still complaining to me about the cheese I owe him, at least all I lost from the encounter was my pants. It is a rather freeing experience though, I'd recomend it to anyone, as long as the weather is agreeable.

Mimblethorpe
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

My first time through this thread, I was considerabley more angry and was tempted to post something that would only end in a flame war. Reconsidering, I will only say this:

A: I promise that I will make sure not to stand too heavily upon grass tiles during the time which I'm awake and in-game, in fear that I may damage them for you when you wake up.

B: If we are to believe that Americans are all rulebreakers, PKers, and violent rpers, we must also admit to the fact that while Americans are 40% of the community they are the very least of the GMs and none of the town guards. Only one IC government even loosely involves American roleplayers, and I have witnessed incredible roleplaying in their ranks. Sadly, this is also the newest government.

C: Please, before you start commenting on the roleplaying of yanks, figure out who is a yank and who isn't. There's nothing more offensive to the entirety of the English-speaking community here than dropping them in one big bowl and then calling them all PKers.

D: While we are only 40% of the community, while Germans take up another 50%, Americans also make up most of the new players. They tend not to stay long, however. Could it be because they aren't supported, more often than not? What does this sort of rhetoric do to fix this situation?

Aegohl
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

HAHAHAH!

Ahem.

This is ridiculous. I see nothing wrong with the orc's roleplay. I do, have a minor quibble with the time-period that it happened in, but nothing more. Orcs are by their very nature, violent and opportunistic fighters. It shows an amazing sense of initiative on their part to attack the town before the town attacks them.

I certainly don't enjoy, or appreciate this heaping of American players into one group, entitled "powergamers." You must remember, without the American roleplayers, many of the past events of Illarion would never have taken place.

-Darlok would have been pretty much on his own without Grant and Arkadia.

-Dyluck would never have started the Magic Academy

-Crosis would have never started the EGH

I could go on, but I just don't care enough about such whiney topics. Let me refresh some people's memories. Remember back in the day, when Grant would post on the Off topic board about something "mean and nasty" that had happened to him in-game? This is the EXACT same behaviour that some of the posters on this topic have cried about in the past.

Get over it! Accept the roleplay! Enjoy! Something interesting is happening in Illarion!! Do you want to go back to your fireside chats, Galim, talking about old times and refusing to roleplay with other people because their roleplay doesn't fit in with your comprehension of the concept, or do you want to experience something new and exciting!

Vive la difference!
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

you mean like yesterday when the fighters of the town waited all day and night for the orcs to come and roleplay our try to change it but noone of the orcs arrived?
Or like that time the two sides had agreed OOC for a battle then the "good" side comes down and bum rushes the orcs upon the time that was not agreed, OOC...and when they were afk at the moment. Also, when the battle TRULY began and we had them licked, the server crashed. When it came back on, their dare didn't try the same tactics. I wonder why?
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

I was about to defend Galim on the subject....nah

Why OOC community smells around here, exhibit 2:
Fragmentizing everyone into little cliques and groups based on language, time zone, RP "quality", length of time playing, and God knows whatever else.

And Aegohl hit so many points, he/she could build a house.
Avaloner

Post by Avaloner »

Fooser wrote:I was about to defend Galim on the subject....nah

Why OOC community smells around here, exhibit 2:
Fragmentizing everyone into little cliques and groups based on language, time zone, RP "quality", length of time playing, and God knows whatever else.
You are so right foos time that someones says it, but how could you quit of this thinking? The "big rulers" of illarion are there and well kinda more or less ignore some people.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

This thread is a shame.

Roleplaying is about acting, but it's also about reacting. I can't stress this point enough. If you can't roll with any punches, you shouldn't roll at all. Maybe going back to pen&paper solo-books ("Do you open the northern door [go to page 64], do you attack the monster [go to page 17], or do you light a smoke [go to page 132]?") would be helpful, to go pick up the basic RP-1001 again.

'Nuff said. I'm off to page 132.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Avaloner wrote: You are so right foos time that someones says it, but how could you quit of this thinking? The "big rulers" of illarion are there and well kinda more or less ignore some people.
It's probably impossible to eliminate such things, it happens everytime large groups come together. There are probably some ways to lessen things like that though.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I'm a gum chewin' yank all for player killin' and blastin' my six shooter at any of you wusses that disagree with me, yeeehaaaw! :roll:

There are many countries with people that operate MUDs and so called "RPGs" that has a fair share of non-role players. Let's move on to the heart of the subject please.

Like I posted earlier, the orc attack sounded fun, but the time was poor. This can give the game a little suspense, but you'd have to be darn lucky or a pretty good fighter to get lots of satisfaction out of it.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

The only thing I have to say about this is that, regardless of all your personal interests and feelings that cause you to either see these series of events as either fair or not so much, to rate it by comparison to how the other side had done things before in the past is fruitless if you truly believe that your community has evolved in learning how to roleplay fairly together. Whether or not past events were done similarily fairly or unfairly, your acessment of each new event is what will set the standards and consequences for the next one. So before you deem this as fair or unfair, think about whether or not the resulting future consequences are truly what you desire to see.

Brendan Mason wrote:I certainly don't enjoy, or appreciate this heaping of American players into one group, entitled "powergamers." You must remember, without the American roleplayers, many of the past events of Illarion would never have taken place.

-Dyluck would never have started the Magic Academy
Hey, if my Ranger chums were around they'd smack your head all the way to Nunavit! Where's Korwin when you need him?
#me waves his maple leaf and gets some Tim Hortons on his way to the hockey rink, eh?
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

I am only really rentering this to point out a few things. I am not actually an american but do a lot of rping in that time zone.
Most of them are fantastic to play with, yes we do have a problem that is hard to remedy were the two time zones operate a little independently of each other. How ever that will always be the case.
How ever the orcs in the american time zone I have had contact with have generally been great. My inability to beat up all the skulls and often being out numbered by them has given rise to some great rp. Yes orcs kill people on occasion but generally speaking Gorge,Wiergraf and Grutock. Being 3 skulls I have rped with a lot have kept fighting pretty minimal and often with a way to rp out of it entirely.
Once again I must reiterate that the only person I saw attacked in the "taking of trollsbane" was myself.The orcs allowed me plenty of time to run or surrender. The fact Pendars character dictated he would have stood his ground meant there was a fight. It was not badly done at all though.
There will always be minor complaints on both sides, when ever a character is killed. Sometimes I feel orcs are to blatant in town just because I am the only guard. By the same token "we" of the town are by no means above triple teaming an offending orc when we find one either.
End of the day its all good and the rivalry makes for good rp.
I will end of by simply stating to any characters who have intentions upon town. That I am here to roleplay just like you. Which means I am not out to always win dont hesitate to contact me ooc if you want to set up a specific rp or skirmish in town.
As the only "fault" here was a lack of communication half the skulls dont know what has happend and I walked back into town with a bottle in hand and no armour to be offered servitude or death.
Still great fun mind you,
Brian Po pendar
Terook Telcove

Post by Terook Telcove »

I would like to make my thanks known to the orcs for setting a mad halfling out of jail and giving him an axe, a bit to large for my tastes though
Kaja Wolfagen

Post by Kaja Wolfagen »

Kaja Wolfagen: :) Welcome to Illarion. There are 13 other players online.

Kaja Wolfagen: Have fun roleplaying and mind the rules given on http://rules.illarion.org. Press F1-F5 for a short manual.

Someone (36483): Kaja?

Someone (58584) stumbles from the chair.

Someone (57321): Hey!

Kaja Wolfagen pulls a book from the shelf.

Durin Goldtooth: come on

Durin Goldtooth: ge'out

Someone (58584) bellows loudly at the dwarf.

Someone (36483): Durin

Durin Goldtooth grumbles.

Someone (36483): bigger problem

Durin Goldtooth: ARRR ENOUGH!

Kaja Wolfagen: Hurr

Hm.

Durin Goldtooth takes out his axe.

And if this doesn't work?! What if she still thinks I will be late for dinner?

Someone (58584) snorts at the dwarf and pounds the ground.

Someone (57321): That isn't going to solve anything!

Kaja Wolfagen looks to the elf for a moment.

Durin Goldtooth: KAJA

Durin Goldtooth: OUT!

Durin Goldtooth grips his axe.

Durin Goldtooth: NOW

Someone (58584) hops into the chair behind the halfling.

#me smiles "then you come and speak to me, we will make a new plan"

Durin Goldtooth seems furious.

Kaja Wolfagen laughs in his gutteral tone.

Someone (57321): Cake, Caitlin is probably outside

Kaja Wolfagen: I read book yes

I just was late because I gathered flowers for her...

Durin Goldtooth: ARR

Durin Goldtooth swings his axe.

Someone (53167) points with his wand.

Someone (58584): Caaateeeleeen

Someone (57321): Come on, Cake

Kaja Wolfagen: Walk to the YELLOW CROSS to get resurrected !

Kaja Wolfagen: Walk to the YELLOW CROSS to get resurrected !
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

For the record, Durin didn't actually kill him, it was a flame, and Durin was gonig to let him run away....