Map: Proposals

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

I like the way the current northern mountains resemble a dragon when looked at from above. It would be nice to have such images on the new map too. This could come quiet handy for quests, as in prophecies, riddles etc.
Irania

Post by Irania »

What mountains? I had no friggin clue there were mountains in this game.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

The rocky areas are considered as being mountains.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

What are you not understanding, Irania ?
Please dont make these meaningless posts and state your problem aswell.

I am asking you here for your input on specific aspects of a gameworld, especialy the games map.
First I asked for things you like or dont like on the current map.
Now I am asking what you think of monster placements and things connected to this.

A little comment on roads:
You are probably not getting any of them.
Roads that connect cities are things that the respective goverments or leaders have to create ingame.
On the one hand I have no clue where future settlements are, since its mainly up to you where you put your homes, on the other one having roads is a huge advantage that one settlement can have above another one.
Thats why, I think you are better off when you can choose the path of your roads by yourself and I just add them for you.
Last edited by Keikan Hiru on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I think that there should be specific areas for monsters like now but there should also be random ones spread around as well.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

I think the monsterplaces should be logical. A mummy for example is created in very dry areas, or in swamps. So the Mummys should be set in a ruin in the desert for example.
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

Kranek wrote:very dry areas, or in swamps.
Aren't these two nearly opposite climates?
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

In dry areas, the corpse dries out, so it doesn not rot. In swampy areas, the corpse can be preserved underneath all the muck.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

More islands.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Keikan Hiru wrote:...so please refrain from proposals that you want an island here or there, or that a special island should be shaped like your initials.
Damnit, there goes my idea. *g*
Keikan Hiru wrote:Is there a house you like especialy, because the items are arranged nicely?
Yes, I really like the monistary to the south, the design and item placement looks really nice, especially the outside courtyard area. I also like the library, I sometimes send a char in there just to stand because it is set up so realistically.
Keikan Hiru wrote:Are some item arrangement looking arkward to you, should I avoid them ?
I absolutely can not stand having a vase in the middle of a room where I can stand on it. I hate having to think about whether I want to CTRL+drag my char around a chair or step on it because a vase is horribly placed.
Keikan Hiru wrote:Do you like the woods ? Should they be more dense (till some of you chop them all down *grr*), or less trees ?
An entire forest should be scattered density. That doesn't sound right. The thickness of the brush and trees should be scattered, not an entire forest but copses of trees, glades, clearings, thickets, etc. It's a little silly to walk out the south gate and see row upon row of perfectly placed trees like a vineyard should be, but its also silly to walk out the south gate and be immediately bombarded by green so much that you can not walk down the only street that leads out of town. Forests are for wandering and beauty, not just easy access to a lumberjack's goldmine. I have to admit that I use the south forest for one or two of my characters for the lumberjacking purpose and it's closeness to the depot and lack of danger make it a very good spot. But my other character (as i'm sure i'm not the only one) loves to just walk through the forests and admire the nature.
Keikan Hiru wrote:How do you imagine large meadows, ect. ?
Probably widespread green, surrounded by sparse line of apple or cherry trees. Possibly a graphic tile of green grass with flecks of purple and yellow for flowers somewhat like this...
(Dont make fun, I'm no graphics designer and YES I used paintworks)
Pronon Palmsuger

Post by Pronon Palmsuger »

I think currently the paths are to "zig-zaggy"

there really is no reason for the buildings to be off like that, no real nautral barriar that causes the road to be like that, I would think it would just be streight. A good example is between the library and the shrub thing a little before you hit the shop, the road just kind of turns.

Edit: the code thing didnt work.

Also every building atleast needs a depot, theres no drawing force that brings any one to places like the Shi Long Monastary. I've never seen 1 person in there, and other towns are dieing out such a greenbriar, its almost allways empty. Places just need a drawing factor.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Yes and also... not so many shadows... For instance, the library.. it is too easy to run behind there and get away from people...

And.. perhaps we could have a few more docks... and maybe even catch different fish if you are on the docks or whatever... just make different properties for water tiles..
Talaena Landessi

Post by Talaena Landessi »

I like that building that is near the docks..the ones that lead to the island south of the sheep..i just dont like how the tables are placed....i find myself walking in and tripping over the chair.....teh hehe
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

And the entrance is in the shadows...
veralion

Post by veralion »

erm...i like the skull territory. could use a piggy farm though :wink:
Delakaniam

Post by Delakaniam »

I have always wondered why the sand on the shore behind the Seahorse Inn looks so much better than the rest of the shores on the island. The other ones are all either just sand tiles or sandy tiles with oddly-placed green patches. Yet the sand by the Seahorse grove lines up neatly and stuff. Just an observation.

Oh, and thanks for working on all of this. Most of us probably don't realize it, but we appreciate your efforts.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

More islands ?
Will 5x5 areas count as island for you ?

The forest that have been created so far do look good, in my eyes and those who already could get a peek at them.
Unfortunatly its up to you, the players, to keep it that way, since everybody can "move" trees arround as they wish.
I cannot prevent the trees-in-a-row-effect as long as either the players have the possibility to plant trees or they think its economicaly efficient to let them grow like this.
But rest asure, I have backups of my forests. ;)

I'll try to avoid to huge buliding "shadows" where I can, and I will try not to make entrances to bulidings at the east and north side.
I think I mentioned this already somewhere.

About the fishes:
I place the water, talk to the programers what they put in it.

Pathes, I think you mean roads inside towns.
When I look at the historical center of my town the streets do not aprear "constructed" and will not always meet each other in a 90° angle.
I prefer a more "organic" look.

As long as Depots have links to each other, it will be the rarest item that I will place on the map.
As soon as they lose the links I can practicly bombard you with them.

I havent placed transitions-tiles so far, neither to bad looking nor the good looking ones.
As soon as I get a brand new set of them, I'll do. Right now they just dont match, as you correctly observed.
Markus

Post by Markus »

hm, I got an idea about mountains. Would it be hard to create a new sort of walls and ground?
You could create the mountains as a "building". That would make it possible to create real caves and not only holes in the ground.

Let me guess: I'm not the first one with this idea?
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Mountains..there are no graphics for mountains currently.

That will probably be on of the very last graphics they will make, if they ever put them in.

You have to make tiles angled.. and its difficult.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I really like this proposal (mountains). Something alike exists on the current map, but it is not really satisfying. Adding new tiles and walls will be easy as soon as the new client is finished, however, this will take some time. With our current "equipment", I'd create mountains as follows:

On the ground level, there would be cave walls, on the 1st level would be rock tiles and cave walls and so on. Like this:

1: Cave walls only on ground level
2: cave walls on 1st level and ground level
3: cave wall on 2nd level, 1st level and ground level
4: cave wall on 3rd, 2nd, 1st and ground level

Keikan, do you think this could be accomplished?
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Unfortuatly not.
The cavewall does not totaly fill the space beetween z=n and z=n+1, the rock floor would apear to float in the sky.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

That would look nice... the space between Z=0 and Z=+1 is a fair enough gap.. perhaps we could do it with walls or something? make a Ziggurat or something? :lol:
Thalodos Artemetus

Post by Thalodos Artemetus »

Don't know whether this has been suggested yet, but a bridge linking the farmland just south of eliza's shop with troll's bane would be more helpful for moving around.
Rackere Diplomatre

Post by Rackere Diplomatre »

Thalodos Artemetus wrote:Don't know whether this has been suggested yet, but a bridge linking the farmland just south of eliza's shop with troll's bane would be more helpful for moving around.
There would be another entrace to be guarded - bad idea.
Thalodos Artemetus

Post by Thalodos Artemetus »

yeah, it's more of a suggestion of convinience. But nevermind
Moskher Heszche
Location: You can never be too stupid or too pretty to be a puppet king.

Post by Moskher Heszche »

The problem is that that is not an ooc issue; It's an ic issue. We're dealing with the map, and not the governing of the isle.
Byron

wooo!

Post by Byron »

YAY!! Finaly! I get to speak the mind of the almighty BYRON!!!

Ok heres what i want.

First i think it would be more enjoyable if the crops varied more. Add Carrots, pumpkins, corn, and make them more usable.
Carrots: Err... sell for 5gold each.
Cabbage: Salads (can be used with other vegitables if made)
Pumpkin: Pumpkin Pie
Corn: Can be used to make Popcorn (its like in a bowl. Called Popped Corn)

And also,
Id like to see a nice orcin village. The village will include a Cross, Shopkeeper, a merchant (like eliza), smith, and a large large large large farm (for us flower orcs).

I shall come back.. with more!

Post by Guest »

Byron, this is about the MAP not about any proposal you might have.

And there is a "Orc Village" the cave of the bloodskulls. If you want another one, found a group and build one.

Carrots, crops and all that stuff are not ask here.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Grrr stop proposing crop stuff,thats my job. :wink:

Hmm For the map:

To make mountains would require more graphics... The makers would need to slant the tiles and they would have to fit perfectly, and you would need about 6-10 different slants, to make it all go up.. you might even need more than that.

It would be kinda confusing I think... but that's just me. (we could always just ahve a mountain as one big item ^_^ )
Delakaniam

Post by Delakaniam »

Nilo wrote:(we could always just ahve a mountain as one big item ^_^ )
I'm not completely sure about this, but I think an item can only be made an "obstacle" on one tile. For example, if you've ever noticed, each book shelf has one half that is a blocking point, and one half that you can actually walk through. The graphic extends to numerous tiles sometimes, but the true item is only in one spot.

Basic point: Sure, the mountain could be one item.... easy to cross as soon as you find its core :wink: .