What kind of role player are you?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Bloodhearte

What kind of role player are you?

Post by Bloodhearte »

I thought this topic might be interesting. Tell us what kind of role player you are, and why. Maybe this could give GMs and other players what our ideas of "fun" are.

I am the conflict seeking role player. I seek a battle rush for my characters in play, because it is extremely fun for me.

Unfortunately, I'm not imaginative or motivated enough to create conflicts by myself so I have to find wars, battles, arguments, that other characters made to make my character participate.

Times for me are really fun when there's a huge group versus group event going on, but I often don't play at all when Illarion is at peace. I often play characters that are only interesting when something hostile is going on (i.e, bounty hunters, assassins, thieves, psycho/sociopaths, etc.)

Okay, I'm done.
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

I'm a varied roleplayer, right now I have a character who is technically insane, though perfectly sane to herself, I have a priestess of Love and Knolwedge who was once very agressive, and will now only fight with evil spirits, she wont even defend herself. I have a pure warrior who fights because he enjoies it, and looks for fights just because he can probally win them. I also have another char who likes to come off as tough, but inside she's just a softy.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

With my character I tend to seek social interaction. Basic roleplaying and events in social situations that make things interesting. Also conflict and such, but not among my character, but something he can get in on if he wishes.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Character development and downfall.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

The more convulted, unusual and downright funny the better. I have several characters that I take seriously, including Brendan obviously.

I then have an Elven bard who gets on others nerves, a dog like orc and so forth. I'll write more when I have the time.
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

I love role-play that is insignificant in the big picture but hilarious at every moment of it. Yes, the plots and conflicts of battles and arguments can be important, at times, but this is why I like absolutely improvisational RP right on the streets.

(Of course, the occasionally planning is still alright....:
"Oooh, Tzi!! There are some fun old players online!! Let's pop ingame and get drinking again!!")

Some serious plots can still be very fun, however. For example, another character and I could be discussing a dire situation ingame very seriously. Behind the screen, I could be holding my sides and laughing my head off at the same time. I don't think worrysome events ingame should make you worry OUT of game :P .

The absolute most amusing situations of "seriousness" are love plots. *Rofl*. I have trouble going to sleep after nights with love plots because I'm laughing so hard. They're RIDICULOUSLY FUNNY to watch :mrgreen: !!!!

Oh, yes. And civil disobedience is always an unfailing source of entertainment :wink: . Though it is "civil", mind you. Don't go around annoying authority just to be an ass. Civil disobedience is a fine art.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Sitting in the streets and commenting on other character's lives can also be fun. And so is pretending that they're performing a play for you.
Delakaniam

Post by Delakaniam »

*...and the uncontrollable laughter commences at Brendan's mention of the memorable "play"*.

Tzi and De'am always thought it was too bad they couldn't blame all their bad--.... couldn't blame everything on an actual playwright :wink: .
Irania

Post by Irania »

I am the kind of rper that has a lot of fun ideas to use but never uses them.
Delakaniam

Post by Delakaniam »

But why not?? Good RP ideas are the only things that can outweigh and conquer over crap RP ideas :o .

Cherga knows we've got enough of those :wink: .
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Every one of us are geniuses..but Gods...are we lazy.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

I see alot of "crazy funny happy" stuff here

I absolutely hate outrageous roleplay, I like serious things....talking over an ale in the tavern about old times questing, to pointing out the faults of the town gaurd with the leader himself around a camp fire.

Sure I like a fun moment, but all the good people for that are gone....(Gala,Olo,Cosma...I miss you guys ;) )
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Making each character like a novel.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Serious roleplay can be fun too. But it always has to be enjoyable. When I first started playing Illarion, the vast majority of my roleplay was morbidly depressing to put it lightly. I saw what overly serious roleplay was doing to players like Kalypse and realised:

"This is a game."

From then onward, I've always opted for the enjoyable roleplay. Don't get my wrong, my "humorous" roleplay will never get in other people's way. For the most part it's ironic, tongue and cheek and humorous in tone.

Hmm..it's hard to describe...

Ah!
Have you ever seen the television series "Xena" or "Hercules?" They were campy, tongue-in cheek and generally good fun. However, they never broke character-the show was always aware that it was set in Ancient Greece.

Mech..I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.
Delakaniam

Post by Delakaniam »

It's Brendan's point right there. At some time, there's the realization of:

"It's. A game.
(For crying out loud.)"

I do agree with Returner, in that some outrageous roleplay is rather --> :? <-- and sometimes stupid or even boring. That's what you have to be careful not to do, I suppose.

But one can.... drink and be merry and discuss old times all at once...right? :wink:
Irania

Post by Irania »

Yes, I am also the kind of rper that does not like to argue over the fact that it is just a game but cries anyway when something bad happens.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

It is nice to have a break from serious roleplay, but that char is dead :(
Raffa Redwillow

Post by Raffa Redwillow »

Lots of variety. I have some cheery charecters, some shady charecters, some Brutish Characters, and the in between, but theres only a few I play much.
Ceigan Ibatha
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Ceigan Ibatha »

Well, I consider myself varied as well. I have to agree with Blood about conflicts and wars. Whenever there are two sides and one can be joined it is always fun to participate in all the planning and tactics. Although I enjoy roleplaying Ceigan too. I think he may get on some peoples nerves occasionally (from what I've been told :wink: ) but I try to make him an enjoyable to roleplay with.. insane person. *rubs chin*.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I'm the kind of roleplayer who has plans, but never puts them into the works. And, beside that, my characters tend to have a rather sadistic side to get on people's nerves, just to see how they react. And sometimes, they freak out and burn the hell out of me, and sometimes...well...they just don't >.>.
Moskher Heszche
Location: You can never be too stupid or too pretty to be a puppet king.

Post by Moskher Heszche »

Probably a suprise to most of you, there are quite a few essays on roleplaying game theory, and not just of design of roleplaying games. There are many different systems used to describe types of characters, which can be useful to those who run games to better understand how to entertain players of all types.

While most of these systems of classifying players were based merely on observation, the people of Wizards of the Coast (current owners of all rights to Dungeons and Dragons) used surveys to find where the balance of players are. The interesting thing is that they found that players, almost equally, fit into four categories, with a lesser section of players fitting into a position centric to the rest.

Click here for the Breakdown

Using the system of classification that they propose, I would like to say that I fit into the Character Actor segment, but I find this to be becoming less and less true. I find myself moving to a more centric focus in my life. While I play the weakling schemer(Very much fitting in with the Character Actor style) in Illarion, I generally run survival horror pen and paper rpg's in my home, which certainly is part Storyteller and part Powergamer in focus.

I found it interesting that Cliu first mentioned playing the downfall of his characters (Something to be expected from the Character Actor) while later mentioning that roleplaying should be like a novel (Absolutely Storyteller.)
Naybet Grint

Post by Naybet Grint »

I generally work mostly on coming up with a detailed character so that they can react appropriately to whatever situations the world throws at them. I normally give them at least a couple of unlikable traits to make sure that conflicts happen around them. Also in something like Illarion, more than in a pen and paper game, I tend to have long term goals for my characters (which they are often unaware of, and as such often never actually happen). If everything in a character's life looks too stable I do have a habit of looking for ways of my character innocently saying exactly the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time to stir things up, but only if I can work it into their personality. So basically what I'm saying is its about portraying a personality and outlook different from my own as accurately and consistently as possible, for me. And I can be grinning when my character is crying, so long as its an interesting storyline.
AlaineMilan

Post by AlaineMilan »

I`m the kind of roleplayer who loves funny situations. some of my chars want to have many friends, they like it to sit in front of a campfire and talking with other chars. i want to be online at the ingame events, sometimes they are really funny ;)

And the thing that this is only a game is true.....but to be honest, once there was a very bad situation and i nearly cried. Dont ask me why... :D
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

I only have the one character in play, over the time of playing him he has as with all people changed. Changed with his age, the times, surroundings.

I enjoy as a player good wholesome RP socializing. Drathe craves company. A good fire with friends as Cain Fremont often speaks off with a little action now and then. That or doing a days work with people around to talk.

I enjoy as a player acting Drathe pulling his strings and making him work in the social group or encouraging a more private interaction. A good quest now and then or some town action is like rain in the desert (and we all remember that one) But too much to often I find irritating. That said, Illarion is an adventurers town where people come to make a name and find riches.

So I would say to sum it up in Moskher Heszche way, I'm a Character Actor.
Lysu Davanum

Post by Lysu Davanum »

My Illarion works again...on both computers! =D

Oh yes, I'm between story teller and a character actor. Because I believe skills can be RPed, but they cannot be RPed by any char. Luckily, my char can, and it gives me great enjoyement to do so.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I have two characters that I love dearly, and two that haven't been developed yet. Quin is obviously my baby and I adore her so very much. I use the ideas that I have, mostly small RP not related to the whole of the island. I like to think I'm creative with my ideas.
Galdwore Darkmoore

Post by Galdwore Darkmoore »

Good character:
Well, my character is focused
on what he wants but is prone
to eccentricities and habits.
This is mostly because it amuses me.

My rp, is puntuated with an odd habit
or eccentricity. Between those I'm usually
serious, but am up to a little humour when
around friends or company.
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

My roleplay will vary depending on which character I am on. Odd as it sounds, my characters just vary too greatly in their personalities to label myself as one certain type. I have one chacater who is pessimistic and constantly thinking of ways to cause the total collapse of society on the island. She wont really go after a fight, but is more than happy finish one. Another character is too stupid to understand a thing besides the fact that if you hit something it bleeds. She will leap into a fight with anyone simply for the fact she truly has no clue of right and wrong, or actions and consequences. Another character of mine will stay out of conflict all together.

If I tried to blur them together into one label, I would say I prefer interacting with humans far more than running around chopping trees. I also enjoy conflict as opposed to sitting around a campfire asit seems a bit more interesting to me. In any History class I've taken, I have enjoyed conflict event far more than peace time events. What can I say...peace bores me to tears.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Word Ark. :)

I've tried to make characters and play them as sociable people for enjoyment, but it requires effort I don't feel like expending.

"How you doing?"
"Fine, you?"
"I'm cool."
(Uh oh, awkward silent moment...what should I talk about so I'm not so boring?)
"So...them trolls really suck, right?"
"Yeah. Duh, they've been sucky for the last year, are you stupid or something?"
"Screw you pal, I tried." :lol:

Boredom to tears, without a doubt. Lack of bloodletting and corruption doesn't make characters feel secure, it just lets their asses get fatter as time goes by. :wink:

I'm glad there are characters who are actually peace loving though. It gives the game more variety, rather than letting everybody prefer the same thing.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

There are other conflicts that don't involve violence.