Magic & Runes?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Sordelka

Post by Sordelka »

and if I want to see my stats, how do I do that...
I can only see skills!
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

I don't think you can see your stats.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

You're right, you can't.
Ghásh Wargclaw

Post by Ghásh Wargclaw »

Come on, when you wear a robe as a mage it barely keeps out the wind. And now you will be taking away the healing spell! Now that is terebly boring, though the great reason I'm quite angry, is beacuse as a mage the first runes you get are quite important and when you then get to know that you have no use of them at all! hmm... yeah that actaully does sound pretty boring, but I never thought of wearing leather armour as a mage, maybe I should... I don't see why not... Oh well I still want the healing spell. :?
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Adano Eles wrote:You're right, you can't.
Yeah, I figured that hadn't changed.

And still we receive no word as to why the healing spell was removed. This usually happens when the people who changed it don't feel they have a valid enough reason to do so. I mean, they must really be stumped with this one, since they haven't even quoted someone else by saying, "nyert, it makes mages invicimable." :o And it doesn't. Trust me. I've seen plate-wearing mages die even with the healing spell (this, of course, was back in the day, when you saw plate-wearing mages. AKA, the time of no application process. I'm sure they're still out there, though).
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

I don't really understand it either. Maybe they wanted to increase the need for healing potions? Well, that's a little bit off as mages who cast healing spells will need mana potions afterwards. Or is the reason within the new magic system?

@gift system:
I originally had proposed a system which uses miniquests to get your runes from the guardians. Like in "go somewhere and get this or that item, but get it yourself, not buy it". So instead of working all day to efford buying some ridiculous prized semi-rare item a magic apprentice would have to go out on adventure, gain experience and learn something. It couldn'T be done with the recent server version, and I'm not sure how far my idea is still thought about.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Adano Eles wrote:I don't really understand it either.
Uh-oh. Something that even Adano doesn't understand. This lack of healing spells needs to get fixed quickly, because if he doesn't understand it, then there's probably no reason for it! :lol:
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

Nah, it just means nobody told me about it yet and there's no technical reason I'd be able to see. :wink:
But I'm sure someone will tell us now. And I'm sure we won't like it :?

I miss my healing spell myself. And I miss my elven fire spell. My favourite demon killer :(
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Adano Eles wrote:Nah, it just means nobody told me about it yet and there's no technical reason I'd be able to see. :wink:
But I'm sure someone will tell us now. And I'm sure we won't like it :?

I miss my healing spell myself. And I miss my elven fire spell. My favourite demon killer :(
I miss quests where you come across some strange entity that you have no clue actually DRAINS your skills until they're nil when you get within a tile of distance, even though there should be some kind of warning about that sort of thing for the roleplayer who doesn't want to get unintentionally thrown into what seems like a 75% german-based quest (meaning I wouldn't understand the vast majority of what is going on).

I also miss finding out two days after learning my skills were completely wiped out because of a ghost-entity that the skill difficulty has been increased quite literally tenfold. Yeah, I miss those days. Wait... no I don't. X_X I can't even cast one spell successfully anymore thanks to that. And that is why I stopped getting involved in seemingly major quests that ultimately affect nothing in terms of the underlying story and leave a couple of characters completely and illogically drained of any abilities they had worked so hard to gain.

Ahh, the old days where quests were few and impossible. But I digress.

I dunno if we'll get an explanation or not, Adano. Sometimes the GMs seem sketchy when it comes to "taboo" topics such as logic. :o
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Cain Freemont wrote: I miss quests where you come across some strange entity that you have no clue actually DRAINS your skills until they're nil when you get within a tile of distance, even though there should be some kind of warning about that sort of thing for the roleplayer who doesn't want to get unintentionally thrown into what seems like a 75% german-based quest (meaning I wouldn't understand the vast majority of what is going on).
I remember that one too, Serpardums one and only selfmade quest.
Fortunatly it was 100% english, thats why I didnt get much of it and had no real chance in partizipating.
And since Serpardum was the one who installed the harder skillgain, he seems to be the one to blame for every evil in this little game. ;)
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Darlok wrote:
Cain Freemont wrote: I miss quests where you come across some strange entity that you have no clue actually DRAINS your skills until they're nil when you get within a tile of distance, even though there should be some kind of warning about that sort of thing for the roleplayer who doesn't want to get unintentionally thrown into what seems like a 75% german-based quest (meaning I wouldn't understand the vast majority of what is going on).
I remember that one too, Serpardums one and only selfmade quest.
Fortunatly it was 100% english, thats why I didnt get much of it and had no real chance in partizipating.
And since Serpardum was the one who installed the harder skillgain, he seems to be the one to blame for every evil in this little game. ;)
I could have sworn I overheard german conversations concerning that quest on numerous occasions. I enjoyed most of the quest, but I was the one who was ultimately screwed over. And Serpardum may have installed the harder skill gain, but why not remove it now? He's not still around, lurking in the shadows like most of us old fogies who stop playing for a long time. I've always been against how difficult it has been for a has-been masterful elven mage to roleplay what he is supposed to be roleplaying without actually being able to cast even a healing spell successfully to literally save his life from losing even more skill, (before it was removed) or a few fireball-type spells to fend off FLY SWARMS.

I think I asked for this to be fixed, but since it wasn't technically a glitch, rather part of some obscurely vague quest for a stupid Icebird Amulet that could supposedly restore Varishnia or whatever her name was' power and thus having another fabled Necromancer to worry about or something, they didn't do anything about it. *sigh* I hate those memories. Bad times. Those were the days when it was fun to log on and recognize every player, though, which is one of the reasons I still won't play (that and I get an entire screen blackout when I try to log in).
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

Serpardum also installed the gemcutting skill and raised Sam's bottle prizes by my request. He can't be THAT evil.

Edit:

Well, the conversations you overheard were most likely like this:

I heard someone talking about this. Do you know anything?

No, sorry, I heard it myself but couldn't find out anything.

Or:

I found this strange book in the library. It talks about some necromancer.

Yes, I read it myself. And I heard some people talking about it, but that's all I know.

This damned Verashnia book kept everyone busy by it's plain existance. But it was about the only clue we could get that something was going on.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Adano Eles wrote:Serpardum also installed the gemcutting skill and raised Sam's bottle prizes by my request. He can't be THAT evil.

Edit:

Well, the conversations you overheard were most likely like this:

I heard someone talking about this. Do you know anything?

No, sorry, I heard it myself but couldn't find out anything.

Or:

I found this strange book in the library. It talks about some necromancer.

Yes, I read it myself. And I heard some people talking about it, but that's all I know.

This damned Verashnia book kept everyone busy by it's plain existance. But it was about the only clue we could get that something was going on.
Speaking of which, is that book still in the library? When I'm able to play again there are so many things I want to explore... *sigh*

Well, thanks for clarifying the german connections to the quest. As it is obvious, they were behind it all :lol:

And Serpardum isn't the evil one, Darlok. You are, remember? ^_^

Back to whatever topic was at hand: .... Oh yeah... when are we gonna get that answer about the healing spell? Hmmmmmmmm?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

That was long ago. I was no GM back then, so I can't say you why it was changed. My assumptions:

-Mages were totally overpowered back then
-A two shield mage warrior halfling farmer was the strongest character in the game
-Healing during melee was considered unrealistic
-Druids had no chance to sell their goods

This is what I assume. I think it is fine the way it is now, some other things are definatly NOT fine. We are working on almost everything these days, including magic.

If you want, you can send me a list of things that you liked about the "old" Illarion and a list of things you want to see in a "new" Illarion. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Estralis Seborian wrote:That was long ago. I was no GM back then, so I can't say you why it was changed. My assumptions:

-A two shield mage warrior halfling farmer was the strongest character in the game
I do agree that mages did have an edge, but only when they were roleplaying poorly (two shields, plate armor, etc.)

Two shielding is bad roleplay, not overuse or overpotency of healing spells.

Healing during melee would require a great constitution or willpower. As I recall, willpower tends to be common in mages.

Druids had plenty of chance to sell their mana potions ;) and other various goods were sold to warriors and the noncombatant classes (like poison bottles, which so ingeniously used to be roleplayed as beer)
Estralis Seborian wrote:If you want, you can send me a list of things that you liked about the "old" Illarion and a list of things you want to see in a "new" Illarion. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I believe that I will compile a list of things that I liked about the old Illarion and send them to you, but I am sure that many of them cannot be changed, such as community structure and socially-based elements. There are, however, a few technical changes I would like to see changed back to originality.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Hehehe what ever did happen to him
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Aristeaus wrote:
Hehehe what ever did happen to him
Isn't that Nilo? :lol:
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Yes, I ment technical things. The community can't be changed by a mouse click and I am glad that it is this way.

Illarion will change like never before within the next few weeks / months. Thus, we all have the chance now to change things we never liked and to keep things we like so much about Illarion.

Please, always state what you like, too. Otherwise, it could happen that things you took for granted will dissapear.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Hmm...

Nilo : Farmer... mage... halfling.. used to fight demons while wearing two shields.

Yep thats me. How did I come into this discussion again?

Ah but wait: That could be a few people! Crosis.. Iqloo/Gordom, a few others too I think. :wink:
Sordelka

Post by Sordelka »

maybe some mage with two shields can tell me why my Orl something does not work? (summon food) can not write the whole runes...thats why edit
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Maybe because you ARE wearing two shields. :wink:
Moskher Heszche
Location: You can never be too stupid or too pretty to be a puppet king.

Post by Moskher Heszche »

I can tell you why. Certain items restrict the flow of mana. Also, I believe certain races are incapable of certain spells, or at least it is more difficult for them. There are many factors into wether you can cast a spell or not and those are to be found through experimentation.
Sordelka

Post by Sordelka »

yes...I took my shields off....and Marius told me to study these runes...soo I suppose I must be able to cast the spell...but when I choose the two runes and a target, it doesnt do anything!
Moskher Heszche
Location: You can never be too stupid or too pretty to be a puppet king.

Post by Moskher Heszche »

It's not just shields. Each spell has it's own restrictive formula, or, at least, that is what I'm made to believe.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Cain Freemont wrote:
Estralis Seborian wrote:That was long ago. I was no GM back then, so I can't say you why it was changed. My assumptions:

I do agree that mages did have an edge, but only when they were roleplaying poorly (two shields, plate armor, etc.)

Two shielding is bad roleplay, not overuse or overpotency of healing spells.

Healing during melee would require a great constitution or willpower. As I recall, willpower tends to be common in mages.

Druids had plenty of chance to sell their mana potions ;) and other various goods were sold to warriors and the noncombatant classes (like poison bottles, which so ingeniously used to be roleplayed as beer)
Estralis Seborian wrote:If you want, you can send me a list of things that you liked about the "old" Illarion and a list of things you want to see in a "new" Illarion. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I believe that I will compile a list of things that I liked about the old Illarion and send them to you, but I am sure that many of them cannot be changed, such as community structure and socially-based elements. There are, however, a few technical changes I would like to see changed back to originality.
I agree that, back then, mages did have a huge edge if they were cheating.

But IMO, these days, warriors have the edge over mages. While a mage can fire spells and hurt the warrior, it doesn't take long for the warrior to come up and dispatch the mage, mostly because the mage can't wear metal armor to cast.

I could be wrong though. I'm not 100% completely sure about the current magic system.

Kind of off topic here, but I think it would be a neat idea if there were clear distinctions between mage spells and priest spells. Back when I played the Exile series as a kid (or Avernum for you "new-schoolers"), priest spells could be cast even in the most cumbersome armor, because they were just shouted prayers. These spells were categorized as defensive spells, healing, poison curing, blessing, etc.

Mage spells could not be cast with lots of armor on, because they required more body usage with the hands. These were the offensive spells like ice bolt, fireball, and poison.

Just a thought.
Ghásh Wargclaw

Post by Ghásh Wargclaw »

It seems as though you can heal yourself!! By standing on the yellow cross's holy ground and then healing the cross, this casts the healing spell on the cross and you!! but I didn't seemed to get healed when I did it, but I could cast it and the graphics showed on me and the cross..
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Because it always shows the healing thing also on yourself sweetheart O.o. That is normal. But you are definately not healing yourself :wink:
Ghásh Wargclaw

Post by Ghásh Wargclaw »

But how come you can heal the yellow cross?
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Ghásh Wargclaw wrote:But how come you can heal the yellow cross?
Because it is a "live target" so-to-speak. There have been so many bugs with the cross in the past. Like the one up by the ogres, you used to be able to walk into it and to everyone else it looked like you disappeared. With the one by the mummies, you used to be able to attack it while gaining skill and it would never die. You can't anymore though. I'm not sure about the cross at the ogres, though.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Oh and by the way, its not very good rp to heal sam or eliza.. or cast spells ont hem.. so dont do it!