Map: Proposals

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Keikan Hiru

Map: Proposals

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Hello there !

This has been mentioned on this board now several times, but mostly only as a sidenote. Lets make it official: There is a new map being made right now.

You can use this topic here to give me proposals for this new map, so I can create it a bit after your taste and not only my own.

The shape of the landmasses is fixed, and I will not change them dramaticly, so please refrain from proposals that you want an island here or there, or that a special island should be shaped like your initials.

What I want to hear from you is mainly what you like on the current map, or dislike. Knowing this would help me alot when I sit there, scratching my head and thinking if I have to improve this area or if I am finished.

For example:
Is there a house you like especialy, because the items are arranged nicely?
Are some item arrangement looking arkward to you, should I avoid them ?
Do you like the woods ? Should they be more dense (till some of you chop them all down *grr*), or less trees ?
How do you imagine large meadows, ect. ?

(Dont limit yourself to these questions, please.)

Please keep in mind, that I am using more or less the same map-items you can find on the current map.
So please keep your ideas realistic, I cannot add new items.

You see I am not only looking for ideas of specific places, but more for your general opinion about a map.
Later we can talk about "special locations" on this future map.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

I really enjoy the Tanoran shrine. The way that it is arranged could be improved however. If a similar place is going to be included on another map, perhaps you could make it so it comes full circle, that is, so you can go in one way and come out the other. This would eliminate the need for players to trample all the way back to the only exit, making the map more ergonomic.

Everything should be far less nucleated. One can travel from the tip of Northerot to the bottom half of Greenbriar in about five minutes. However, if an extension is carried out there should not be any irritating obstacles in the way. Yes, I'm addressing the small wall outside the Grey Rose castle with this comment.

If the are of land is expanded upon, players will desire to travel from spot to spot much faster. Include several short cuts, like the short cut that used to exist between the tavern and the library. Make social areas unavoidable. Create a sheltered area that encourages enjoyable roleplay. A prime example of this is the area just outside of the shop. The shop, the old smithy and the river confines this area and makes it comfortable for roleplay. It also forces interactions between players and enables them to carry out roleplay with players they might not otherwise meet.

I would encourage far denser forests, but make them interesting--not just a random placement of trees. Perhaps create interesting formations, which would lead players to explore these new areas. Players should be rewarded for exploring. On the current map, this only happens in a few places. Players need never leave town to go to the North West, as there are very few interesting things there. The only place worth note to the North West is Fairy Tale.

Add signs that the Gods have been on the land. I've seen many people use the stone circles near the sheep to this end. Players have roleplayed that this was perhaps a meeting place of the Gods and this sort of roleplay intrigues what could be otherwise bored new players.

This is all that comes to mind at the moment.
Josefine da Vince

Post by Josefine da Vince »

The new map is a whole lot bigger then the old one, so that it takes some time to walk from one end to another.

That also solves the "problem" with the grey rose castle. And hopefully makes the places in Trolls Bane more interesting.

The woods are also "designed" there are not only trees but also some other things you normally find in a forest.

I like the idea of the godly signs on the island. What could that be for example? Just another stone circle or a ruin? Or another shrine like the one in the north, next to the mummys?
Naybet Grint

Post by Naybet Grint »

I really like the current 'sacred grove' (the altar in a circle of trees to the NW of Trolls Bane). It so obviously a holy place devoted to the more tree-hugging gods so a character can react to it without it being introduced to them by another character. This really helped my role play initially when I was exploring the island looking for direction.

I'd like to propose that there are collections of herb/mushroom producing plants in a couple of pretty obsure places, so that there is a reason to trek out there. The herbs/mushrooms should also be available from other places, but groups of different ones together are something special worth a trip.

I'd also like to suggest that between two population centres (such as Trolls Bane and Varshikar) there is a direct route, that takes you past some nasty beasty (like the scorpion) with there existing a safe passageway that isn't at all as direct. This would make people think 'Am I in a rush, or should I skirt round', which, personally I think is a good thing.

Lastly (for now) I think that its never good to have a 'perfect' place with everything people need to close together. Perhaps have a workshop with all the ovens/looms etc but if so make the fields/mines etc a decent distance away.

I realise that most of what I'd advocating already exists, I'm simply pointing out the things that I think are good, rather then listing them as improvements to the current situation.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I also agree with the Grey Rose castle. For characters who aren't welcomed too warmly in Trollsbane, they're cut off from half the island because of that little, annoying wall. The only way to get to the other side is to walk through the town.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the current map, although I'd like to see more exploration going on. Maybe things like looms, anvils, and other crafting tools can be placed much further away, probably in other towns like Greenbriar or Silverbrand so as to encourage activity there. It's depressing when you have these pretty-to-look-at civilizations and nothing to do in them, and nobody to socialize with.
Crosis

Post by Crosis »

To me, Greenbriar seems a bit awkward. Everything seems jam packed together. Also, you can't see the doors for two of the houses (because of the angle that the game is viewed). It would be nice if things were spead out a bit more.

I have to agree with Bloodhearte. It would be nice if there were things that drawn people to other towns than just Trolls bane. Maybe NPCs (like Eliza or Sam) that would do the same thing, but vary in their prices and the items they sell/buy.
Moskher Heszche
Location: You can never be too stupid or too pretty to be a puppet king.

Post by Moskher Heszche »

Commenting on Brendan's suggestion of certain legendary or godly places and Josefine asking for that comment to be specified, I'm not sure if this is exactly how Brendan sees it, but this is what I imagine. Just have things placed in an unusual way and then purposely spread a rumor about it.

For example, you could create the illusion of a crater with a rocky terrain circle around perhaps sandy terrain. Then spread the rumor that this is where Moshran was put under the earth and imprisoned, or what have you. Sooner or later people will come to call it by some name, like "Blood and Bone Crater." I don't think it would all have to relate to the gods, however. Perhaps there are legendary monsters, people, and spells that have left their marks on the island.

As for my own personal suggestion, I believe that for a fantasy setting there should be several extremes and a large amount of contrast from land to land. The desert should be expanded to a size appropriate for desert people to live there, with an oasis for people to camp at. The North should be made more mountanous and rocky. There should be a definite plains area, whereas now most of the land is rocky or wooded. People should be able to choose what kind of environment their characters live in and are used to. This will provide ample opportunities to create new and interesting cultures right on the island.

In mountaneous/ rocky terrain, boulders should be placed to create areas that are impassable. Perhaps large swaths of the mountains cannot be passed, but mankind has blown paths that allow one through only certain areas. This would make mountain passes quite a dangerous place where bandits reign and a few ogres are quite dangerous, sort of like they are in most fantasy environments. As things stand now, if someone sees a bandit on the mountain, they have any number of ways to run. That isn't very realistic.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

As Josefine said, the map will be larger then the current one.
You dont need to fear that there are whole parts of the island blocked by bulidings.

Shortcuts
It would depend on the "kind" of the shortcut if and how I will incooperate these.
Magical Portals/Ferries will be there where they are of need and connect two distant locations.
Small Caves/Tunnels on the other hand will not connect large distants, if you travel 20 squares below the sureface, you will also travel only 20 squares on the sureface.

Routes
I am not sure if I understand you correctly, do you want roads that connect the towns of the map ?
Otherwise there is nothing that would restrict the movement of your character, so you can find your own routes.

Tools in Towns
I am a bit torn apart in this point, there is one the one hand the clear need of these items in civilised areas but on the other hand I dont want to hand out too many "gifts" to the players without having them worked for it.
We'll try to find a good balance.

Greenbair
Greenbair is made for Halflings, right ? Everything there should apprear small and packed close to each other. Giving larger Characters a feeling of not really fitting there.
I will try to avoid having entrances into buildings at north and eastside.

NPCs
I'm a mapper, no programmer, Jim. ;)

Edit:
Godly Signs
Its hard to make these things look good when you want to let them look "strange" on propose and not unfitting or plain stupid.
I think I have already some good locations that qualify for these, but in the end its up the the imagination of the players if they accept my "proposal" or just overlook it.

Terrain
Thats basicly what we are trying to do. Increase the diversity of terrain your characters are walking on.
But dont expect wonders here, the map may be bigger but not too large and we are still using the same tileset.
We still have a small number of players, so making the map enormus would maybe cause the characters to get scattered too far from each other. And you do want to meet someone to roleplay with, do you ? ;)

Mountains
I would love to have a huge rocky object called "Mountain" that I could place everywhere where I dont want the characters to cross the rocky ground tile.
Unfortunalty I dont have it, maybe someday. Until then I try to give you a nice illusion, but this illusion will not limit your movement possibilities.
I tried once in the northern parts of the current map to limit movement with a rock item, but I was never satisfied with its look. Way too monotone.

Thanks for your input so far, keep it coming.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

As long as it still has the Farmers Union land, Silverbrand, the tavern, and of course the skull cave, I'll be fine. :lol:

Also a couple different shops with shopkeeprs that have different specialties would be nice as well...
Naybet Grint

Post by Naybet Grint »

What I mean by routes is something like this:

Code: Select all

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   A   ~~
        ~~      B
        ==X
        ~~
          ~~
          ~~
        ~~
       ~~
       ~~
       ~~
       ==
        ~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Where ~ is water = are bridges, X is some nasty creature and A and B are places you might want to get between.
Then to get from A to B you can either take the quick route and risk meeting X or you so go via the Southern bridge and take your time over it. This example is a little overly forced. You can make short distances with roads and long distances with terrain that is slow to cross and get something more like:

Code: Select all

...........   ....
 A------X------------B
      ~~~~      
     ~~~~~~ 
      ~~~~~~   R
        ####
         ####
Where . is desert and # is forest. Now the character has the choice of three routes, the direct one past the monster X, one through the desert that is moderatly direct but slow going, or round the southern lake which is decent going but quite a detour.

I'd also like to suggest that on routes from one place to another you include things like R where R is a good resource gathering spot, so that travellers have a reasonable chance to bump into workers on route.

The other thing that I think works very well on the current map is the field just across the river from Troll's Banes' shop. It allows someone to be somewhere useful, a little distant from town, and still talk to those in town. Which I really like as a way of stopping farmers from getting too bored, but without placing fields right in the midst of things.
Shi Mugen

Post by Shi Mugen »

I have yet to start playing My account has been accepted just waitin now, But even though I dont know how the map is and all I would like to say that having some Dense Forests and some Meadows to be enjoyble in games so I think they should be added
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

What i really would like to see are some bottle necks. Some "must pass" places to get acces to important places. Like bridges to bigger towns or tunnels through mountains...something like that. Places where you can plan ambushes because you know that the people would come along. This shouldn't be the only way to a town but maybe the shortest way brings you over a bridge where maybe some robbers can wait for you. Or you take the longer, saver way.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:What i really would like to see are some bottle necks. Some "must pass" places to get acces to important places. Like bridges to bigger towns or tunnels through mountains...something like that. Places where you can plan ambushes because you know that the people would come along. This shouldn't be the only way to a town but maybe the shortest way brings you over a bridge where maybe some robbers can wait for you. Or you take the longer, saver way.
Thats an interesting idea, because people in that profession now seem to have to risk doing it in town, or take a blind guess at where someone is going to be outside of town.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Naybet, now I understand what you want to tell me.
Your idea is basicly the same as Cassandras bottlenecks and will be considered carefuly, because there already have been many complains about these things in the past.
The current bottleneck is Trollsbane, and nobody is happy about it.

On top of this, I have only one way to create bottlenecks for you. This is by creating rivers with watertiles which are unpassable for your characters and then putting bridge somewhere.
(Why does this "swimming" proposal come back in my mind ? ;) )
There are no other "natural barriers" that I can access right now, woods can be chopped down, mountains are practicly non existant.

Entrances to special locations, caves, ect. which are below the surface are of course always bottlenecks, creating these is no problem at all.
D.C.

Post by D.C. »

What about a maze of shrubs? Oh what are they called, I forget, they are the bushs that you get through, it would be fun to find a maze of those in a forest, perhaps at the end of the maze would be a shrine to Oldra.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

You are aware, that a maze in the wilderness has a pretty slim chance to grow naturaly ? Especialy in the middle of a forrest where you dont find hedges that often.
And there is already a Oldra shrine near Trollsbane.

Please hold yourself back with ideas to specific locations you would like to see added to the map.
I know you are full of ideas and stories connected to these areas, but so am I and my loyal Map-Slaves.
I promised you to ask you later for your ideas, but before I'll do this I want to realize the majority of my own ideas and other planed things.
Miraci Ruhn

Post by Miraci Ruhn »

Slim chance to grow naturally, but.. going back to something earlier.. the gods visited... <insert holy oohing and ahhing here>
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Hedge-Labyrinth in a wood is a thing that definitely will not make it into the initial version of this map. Sorry.
Its just too wrong in my eyes.

If someone wants it in his garden later, its no problem.

We will drop the topic hedges here.
Zare

Post by Zare »

I would like towns to be spaced as far apart as possible, with many monsters in between. Perhaps more monsters the further out you go. With a dangerous wilderness, it would encourage people to stay in town, which I think would be good because with a more crowded town, there are more roleplay opportunities.

If you think that it is nessecary to have a safe trail from one town to the next, then I would reccomend a road, or several that has few if any monsters along it. But I don't think this road should be very direct, and also it should have no resources along it.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Thats a topic that needs further discussion, I think.
Please comment your prefered monster locations, frequency of encoutering, ect.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

I don't want to have to fight/run away from monsters to get basic resources, I wouldn't mind so much if there were monsters around a patch of say, rare herbs. Maybe some kind of creature sees the area the herbs grow as sacred, or important, and would not tolerate people harming it. I don't want to see monsters on roads either, unless it's just the occasional group of monsters spawned there, like a band of ogres lying in wait for their lunch. Just make sure they spawn only now and again, if that is technically possible. Strange creatures and animals in less populated areas would be fine.
Ghásh Wargclaw

Post by Ghásh Wargclaw »

Well I would like the I idea of a certain kind of monster living on the herb...
Zare

Post by Zare »

Using the same high tech program I created my avatar with, I have composed a map that illustrates what I first said. I apologize for the blurriness. I'm not sure why its like that. Maybe its geocities...

http://www.geocities.com/zarethebear/map.jpg

Here, the darker the green, the further you are into the wilderness. The lightest shade of green would have monsters that are mere annoyances, but also fewer resources. The darkest shade of green you would need a skilled warrior to accompany you for protection, but the resources there would be abundant. The brown line, the road, would have no resources, but also no monster spawns. However, it might make a good spot for a bandit ambush.

edit: changed the image to a link, for courtesy
Last edited by Zare on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naybet Grint

Post by Naybet Grint »

I think it should be possible to play a non-combat character and still be able to gather basically all the resources. Perhaps you have to walk ten times as far as a combat character to get to some of them (for example if there is a herb that only grows in two places, one miles from anywhere else and one guarded by an ogre), but Illarion should be playable as a combat light game by those that want to. The thing that works very well in my opinion with monsters on the current map is the scorpion and the quartz sand. Someone who keeps a close watch on the desert's centre while they dig, and who runs when trouble shows up, is basically perfectly safe, but their work is often interrupted. Someone who is good at combat can just kick the scorpion if it gets too close and get back to work. So more things where resources and monsters are very close would be good.

I really like Zare's basic plan of you being able to choose as safe a route as you like, but the bandits will watch the route that everyone normally takes.
Jeppe Koira

Post by Jeppe Koira »

I think the new map should have less appletrees! Now you dont really have to buy food or worry about it at all, since theres apples everywhere.
There could be few appletrees near the city, but not as many as now.
I think this would make fishing and farming much more needed and better jobs.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Where as I think that your idea is a good attempt at making food a needed commidity. The plain fact is should appels be scarce then people will stock up a hoard of pig meat. Or everyone will be able to fish well enough to have suffiecent. As it's practical use is healing up when the damage doesnt warrent wasteing a potion. Beyond that food is used to roleplay mostly, which means it is only occasionally bought and more often shared.
I agree that bringing fishing and farming forward as an equally profitable and high demand job as say druidry would be nice. It is something that would require a lot more discussion as it is not so simple as making appels to find. As i see it.

As to the map the idea of a bottleneck that enables ambushes is intrigueing the problem I see is that they may become over used as they would be one of the rare places highway men could operate. As such leaveing new players and non fighting characters constantly vunerable.
The idea of finding a skilled warrior to escort one any were.Could only work for things like extremely rare herbs and the like. As frankly skilled warrior in Illarion terms implys a player with reasonable game time. Generally such players have there own business to attend to and as such could not consistantly escort people back and forth or to get things that would be needed often.
So if we are going to implement bottlenecks which i think is a great idea, there should be alternative routes.
I think monsters guarding really rare things, goldmines,rare herbs and such is good. How ever we must also remember that illarion's monsters apart from undead and flies are pretty challengeing. Trolls and skeletons are not to be taken lightly. So i wouldnt like to see monsters that need a medium to strong character to kill inhibiting peoples movement or ability to gather resources to much.
Naybet Grint

Post by Naybet Grint »

Characters have the ability to plant apple trees so restricting their spread is not something a map creator can do. I'd also recommend not living off a diet of just fruit, it does horrible things to your digestion. Similarly with an all pork diet.

I suspect its more effort than its worth (and more effort than the Illarion coders have to spare) to code effects of dull diets into the game. It might be possible to increase the nutritional value of an item if eaten shortly after an item of a different type (to represent the benefits of varied meals over snacking). But I reckon the response will be 'yes we could code it, but just roleplay it out, it'll be more fun that way'.
Moskher Heszche
Location: You can never be too stupid or too pretty to be a puppet king.

Post by Moskher Heszche »

I took a stroll through ogre country lately to take a look at your work with rocks in the North and I have to agree, it was a bad proposal on my part. Although it could look alright for small blockages, larger blockages would look terrible to the eye.

Perhaps, since the only way to block an area would be water, rivers used in conjunction with boulders and rock tiles that can slow you down can be used to create traffic bottlenecks, suitable for bandit PC's, as well as good places to give monsters their full potential. I mean, ogres are kind of scary, but if you can't get away should the battle get dangerous, then they're really scary.

Perhaps I'll take some screenshots of the tiles and place them together in photoshop to make a visual for what I'm saying.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Please keep posting.
I'm short with time so I cannot comment our ideas and views right now, but I have read every post so far.

If you want to include pictures in your postings, please keep them as plain links.
Right now I am using a little 56k modem and you dont want to kill it, do you ?

To those who did not post here yet:
This is your chance to influence a huge part of the game, if you dont use it dont complain later. ;)
Irania

Post by Irania »

I do not even really understand this....