Char wipe q's

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Lennier

Post by Lennier »

Wäre es technisch lösbar, dass die Chare die Items behalten können, die sie zum Stichtag bei sich tragen?

Die Frage stell ich ansich nur rein Interessenshalber. Eventuell lassen sich aber damit, wenn es denn möglich und lohnenswert ist, einige Gemüter beruhigen. Der eine hebt vielleicht Bücher auf, der andere Geld. Ein dritter will vielleicht Werkzeuge mit ins 2. Illa nehmen... :wink:
Conscience

Post by Conscience »

oh, and you can't compare that all with climbing, because the climbing is not boreing and souldestroying like the skillgaining in illarion.
A perfect description of skill gain in illarion. The 10x harder skill gain made it 10x worse. And no 10x harder skill gain has not decreased powergaming it has increased it by yes 10x. Because it is so much harder to gain skill people are forced to spend that much more time gaining skill because you see skills are what backup the roleplay in this game of illarion. Without the skills illarion might as well be a chat room.
it is NOT fun to stand for hours alone in a mine and just look at the same picture and to leftclick a stone for thousands of times...bah, that is really terrible, after half an hour i get sick of that.
There will always be powergamers. When you make skill harder to gain the powergamers will just increase their efforts. Unfortunately the real roleplayers become stigmatized because now they either have to roleplay without skills or spend hours on skill gain. And as was already mentioned roleplay without skills is bland because it is like acting without any props at all.
so you are the opinion it was for this standing in the mine for hours, missing every rp, getting sick of that souldestroying actions for what we are doing it? when was the last time you build up a character on the normal way until he reached something? when did you really play this game as a player the last time for more than a few hours?
Another problem in illarion. The actual people that change this game illarion do not even play the game. In THEORY lots of things are viable, but in reality most changes are more negative than positive.
The skillgaining can be compared more with a long, long walk over an emtpy area. nothing to do, nothing to see. the world is flat and boring. and all you have to do is tto hear the same song over and over again for weeks until you reach your goal. and once you reached it, a wonderful place, or something other, you have to start again with that boring walk, without fun, adventures or anything else. just you, the emtpy world and that silly song which plays over and over again. yes, i am sure the way to the wonderful place is there the real fun...
Conscience

Post by Conscience »

It is not and has never been the game play or the graphics that have made illarion enjoyable. Both are terrible and there are multiple games out there that are far better in both respects. It is the relationships characters form with each other based on their unique skills and character concepts that have kept people playing illarion. Players form a concept for their character and most people only gain skills to support this concept.

Why then is so much work misplaced into making graphics better and "restructuring the gameplay" as to making it more "realistic". When you improve graphics sure that will make the game enjoyable ... for as long as the few minutes it takes to see the changes. When you make skills harder to gain based on this misconception of "improving gameplay to be more realistic" you take away the very supports that players use to have fun in the game.

What is the point of a game anyways? To have a realistically boring experience or to have fun? If you want realistic there is more than enough in life, why strive towards this in a game?

Instead of changing aspects of the game that will have little impact or even worse a negative impact, the game should be changed so that players can have more fun. And what makes illarion fun for players? Nobody has ever said its the graphics or gameplay based on player feedback so go figure.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Thanks for turning this topic into everything but this topic.
Please place your rants in the correct places, but on the other hand we all know well enough your point of view.

"Illarion sucks, old is good, new is bad, other games better."

Thanks, we know.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Here's my opinion on this matter.

Though I wasn't here when the skill gaining was made harder, from what I can tell, that basically crippled roleplaying a bit and left a huge gap between new and old players. IMHO you all should put the skill gaining how it was, and if possible, make it more fun (random mines popping up w/o gms doing it, different varieties or qualities of leather to make different items, different items from different wood types, even simple things like those will help), and keep it there. This will take down powergaming and will make it so you dont have a schedule like : 1 hour rp, 1 hour skill. you will be able to spread them through each other, since you wont need an hour in order to gain something. You will instead take maybe a few minutes to craft some items for money, then rp with some friends for a while, maybe go for a trip to the mines with them and compare rocks you find there. Such simple things can boost rp so much.

EDIT: heh darlock posted before me, while i was writing I geuss, and I suppose he's right......
Last edited by falco1029 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I dont think everyone understands what I am trying to point out. I dont think older players had an EASIER time training. I just mean some minor "loopholes" in the gap between newer and older chars.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Perhaps the answer to my question was in German in which case I apologise for not being able to read it. I will keep an eye open for english answer to satisfy my curiosity.
That said this game will always be what people make it, I actually like the idea that skills are so hard to get for numerouse reasons.
it makes no sense to meet a new comer one week get to know him and his past help him a little. Only to meet him 3 days later and he is a master of this and that craft.
Certain orcs have been laying pendar flat since he arrived were as one day my character may hope to beat one of them in battle. It would be a strange occurance if my character was able to kill 2 of them togther tomorrow.
Maybe we all need to relax and realise that this game was not meant for us to be the hero of our own story but instead just be part of one. Storys take time to evolve if i play for a year on and off I will no doubt be able to stand up to most orcs as we will have both neared our cap for combat.
Make skilling up fun involve people take on an apprentice or become one. RP a days work, no doubt things will come up that make it more interesting as well.
We will always have power gamers and those :oops: like me with hours of spare time to play the game. At the end of the day though it is all meant to be fun. What I have seen many players doing in the game is making what we have currently fun and enjoyable and thats what it is all about. Not some perfect game utopia that is individual to each person.
Ules I love those ideas by the way more items and more ways and places to find them is something we would all love.
martin

Post by martin »

Lennier wrote:Wäre es technisch lösbar, dass die Chare die Items behalten können, die sie zum Stichtag bei sich tragen?
Es waere mit einigem Aufwand verbunden, da items-Besitz ja ueber die ID des Chars, der es hat, geregelt ist, und sich diese grundlegend Aendern etc.
Dh. moeglich waere sehr vieles, die Frage ist: Lohnt der Aufwand und ist es sinnvoll?
Unsere Antwort darauf war: Nein. Es lohnt sich nicht und es ist auch gar nicht so wuenschenswert.
Dasselbe gilt fuer Skills etc.

Stellt euch vor, wir machen einiges anders und ihr koennt immer noch alles: Nichts ist eine wahre Herausforderung.

Martin
Colden Moor

Post by Colden Moor »

Was muß man es auch erklären .
Sagt einfach Neustart wie bei jedem anderem Spiel auch und fertig . Das wird jeder begreifen und ist die einfachste Lösung .
Wichtig wäre nur das wann und ob Überhaupt .
Nandus

Post by Nandus »

Ich gebe es ja ungern zu, aber Colden hat recht.

Eine zu diskutierende Frage wäre:
Machen wir einen totalen Neustart?
Sperren wir die Namen alter Charaktere, sodass es das Problem nicht mehr gibt, dass einer plötzlich dies und das nicht mehr kann?

Und/oder gibt es die Möglichkeit, für alte Charaktere einen teil auf recht hohem Niveau zu können: Einer meiner Charaktere bleibt Heiler (mit Tränken, kann also nur Sandbeere und Firnis), verliert aber die (auch sehr guten) Schreinerfähigkeiten. Ein anderer bleibt ein vom Start weg passabler, wenn auch nicht meisterlicher Schneider.

Übertriebenes Beispiel:
Ein Meisterschuster (damit sich niemand angesprochen fühlt), welcher Stiefel machen kann, die es erlauben zu fliegen, wird zu einem hervorragenden Schuster, zu dem man gerne hingeht um die Schuhe reparieren zu lassen, oder sich Ballschuhe anfertigen zu lassen.

Obwohl der aufwand dafür natürlich etwas hoch wäre... lassen wir es, fangen wir einfach alle von vorne an. :(

Hmm... ein Echsenmensch... ein Ork... :wink:

-Nandus

P.S.: Ich bin ein neuer Spieler (im Juni ein Jahr dabei) und hatte NIE ein Problem damit, dass alle anderen Besser waren als ich. Das ist halt so im Leben, im echten, wie auch in Illarion.

P.S.S.:
Bei Sperren der Namen meine ich natürlich, 1.) dass niemand den Char eines anderen übernehmen kann.
Und 2.) das die Problematik, dass jemand etwas überhaupt nicht mehr kann, was er immer gekonnt hat (und damit vom RP sehr schwer, schlecht, oder unmöglich spielbar ist) nicht auftreten kann, da auf der neuen Insel der alter Char nicht, oder nur als Legende oder Märchen bekannt ist.

Und bevor ich zerfetzt werde: Sperren müssen wir ja nichts, aber es ist meine Empfehlung an alle, das so zu handhaben.
Aber wer bin schon ich...
Last edited by Nandus on Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Irenicus

Post by John Irenicus »

Sperren wir die Namen alter Charaktere, sodass es das Problem nicht mehr gibt, dass einer plötzlich dies und das nicht mehr kann?
Damit würde man jedem seine Storyline nehmen. Und da diese in dieser Diskussion als das Wichtigste dargestellt wurde, wäre das unlogisch.
Ich würde mehr um die lange Entwicklung der rp Eigenschaften meiner Chars trauern, als um ihre Skills und Items.
AlaineMilan

Post by AlaineMilan »

Ich auch. Skills und Items sind mir relativ egal. Das ist bei mir eh nicht so dramatisch, aber wenn meine Namen weg wären und wir dort alle als völlig Unbekannte komplett neu anfangen sollen, wäre das schon ziemlich blöd.
Nandus

Post by Nandus »

Auch wieder wahr...
Fedaykin

Post by Fedaykin »

Zum letzten muss ich mich auch mal zu Wort melden. Wenn es soweit kommt (komplett Wipe) spiele selbst ich mit den Gedanken auf zu hören. Es gibt einige Charactere um die ich mir eine Menge aufgebaut habe, und damit meine ich keine Skills oder dergleichen. Das ich gerade weniger dazu komme diese Charas nicht so oft zu spielen möge man mir verzeihen. Aber der Char mit seinen Hintergrund ist mir wichtig. Nicht die Skills oder die Items. Würde ich aber den Char wirklich verlieren dann würde etwas fehlen. Vielleicht zu viel als das es für mich Sinn hätte weiter zu spielen. So sehe ich das. Ich möchte immer noch selbst entscheiden wann ich meine Chars aufgebe und wann nicht. Ich springe beim Gedanken an den Wipe auch nicht vor freude an die Decke, doch ich bin einer derer die wirklich wissen das er Nötig ist und was für eine menge Arbeit da drum herum steht und wie schwer die entscheidung für den Charwipe war. Also laßt euch eins gesagt sein, die Frage um ein "kommt er oder kommt er nicht?" ist nicht mehr aktuell. Er wird kommen. Es ist auch klar wie (Skill und Itemwipe [Was genau man ggf hinterher wiederbekommt ist noch nicht ganz geklärt] ). Es steht eigentlich nur die Frage nach dem Wann.
Nerevar Schattenaxt

Post by Nerevar Schattenaxt »

Naja, alles im Leben ist vergänglich und nach wie vor ist Illarion nur ein Spiel - Die Charactere nur fiktiv, ganz egal, was man drumherum aufgebaut hat.
Und selbst wenn alle Chars gelöscht werden (Was ja hier nicht eintrifft), dann ist das in meinen Augen noch in Ordnung, ja eventuell sogar notwendig, da es sich doch nur um einen Neuanfang handelt, der keine wirklich schweren Auswirkungen auf unser reales Leben hat, oder?
Ich halte es für etwas übertrieben, um virtuelle Dinge zu trauern.
Nandus

Post by Nandus »

Ich kann das widerrum sehrwohl verstehen, dass man um seine Charaktere trauert. Seid 1998 bin ich Spielleiter von DSA und ich habe mir sogar schwer getan von meinen toten Erzbösewichtern loszulassen, welche meine Spieler niedergemezelt haben.
Die Charaktere sind nicht wirklich virtuell, da wir sie mit unseren Gedanken mit einem Gewissen Eigenleben versehen werden.
Aus diesem Grund hat jeder unserer Charktere eine eigene Handlungs-, ja sogar Sprechweise, ohne, dass wir großartig darüber nachdenken müssen, wenn wir ihn erst einmal mit Leben erfüllt haben.
Colden Moor

Post by Colden Moor »

Es kommt immer drauf an wie man spielt , wie intensiv .
Es soll wirklich Spieler geben die Nachts Wach liegen und sich Gedanken machen wie sie Ihren Char weiter spielen . Wie er sich Verhalten soll und wird . Es gibt oder soll Spieler geben denen ab und an die Tränen kommen bei Ereignissen im Spiel . Es soll auch Spieler geben die wirklich jede frei Minute versuchen etwas an ihrem Char zu machen zu verändern ihn weiter zu endwickeln und das schon seit Jahren .
Ich denk das für solche Spieler eine kleine Welt zusammen bricht und es nicht einfach nur ein " Spiel " ist . Es ist nur ein Spiel , aber für einige die wirklich ernsthaft spielen ist es mehr .
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Nun auch wenn das eine Ausnahme war so war auch ich schon bei Tränen (galinastot/beerdigung) aber solche sachen haben damit zutun das ein der char/andere chars ans hetzwachsen. Skills und items die jetzt beim wipe verloren gehen sind dabei minder wichtig. denn sollang der verlust irgendwie ig erklärt wird oder zumindest ig "geschieht" so kann man seine rolle weiterspielen, es gab dann ahlt nur in der geschichte der welt eine katastrophe der ausergewöhnlichen art.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Someone care to fil me in on what you german-speaking types are talking about? :(
Nandus

Post by Nandus »

What we spoke about was, that some people would realy be sad, if theire character would die, or would be deleted.

I will write in English in this topic in future. Sorry.

Nandus
Last edited by Nandus on Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

ok thanks. Sorry for my non-bilingaulness ;)
Colden Moor

Post by Colden Moor »

Ich würde gerne kann aber nicht :( ebenfalls sorry .
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Ich finde, man sollte, wenn möglich, in beiden Sprachen schreiben. Und wenn man in der einen Sprache nicht gut ist, dann zumindest ne ZUsammenfassung. Denn wenn ich sage, ich schreibe nur in der einen Sprache, haben andere Probleme, die nur die andere Sprache können.

---

We should write in both languages. If you are not able to write full in the other language, make it short. If you say, that you write only in one language, some people get problems, who are not able to understand the other language.

I know, my grammar is bad :D
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I suppose for very important thiongs I can put it into a translator ;)
Nandus

Post by Nandus »

To came back to the original topic:
Does anyone knows, when whe should expect the wipe?
I mean somthing like:
"Well tomorow", over "in six months", or "till you made your A-levels" (germ.: Matura, od. Abitur) that will hopefully be in around one and a half years.

- Nandus
Last edited by Nandus on Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Gannon

Post by Sir Gannon »

How about...

When they get enough money to buy the server..

When they put everything on it and make HUGE preperations to acomadate all our whiny arses...

Or whenever they bloody well feel like it ;)

So just be prepared.
Nandus

Post by Nandus »

"When" would only be interesting.

But I believe that the main part of this topic is discussed.
Or does somebody disagree with me?

Nandus
Last edited by Nandus on Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Nah we haven't bugged them enough. Someone think of some pointless questions to go with the topic ;)
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Is the moon made from chess?
Zare

Post by Zare »

No, checkers