Items degradeing/rotting made a little more intellegent

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Items degradeing/rotting made a little more intellegent

Post by Pendar »

I always get nervouse posting things on boards like this as I have no idea of the amount of work it involves. I am amazed by the amount of work that has gone into this free client as it is. How ever this small glitch may not be hard to fix.
The other day after my character had been slaughtering a few pigs, he took of his shirt and washed it in the near by river. Laying it out to dry on the grass next to me to dry. I thought I was being very smart until it suddenly vanished not a few minutes later. Apparently they rot. I can see the sense in this as other wise illarion would be a tad cluttered. How ever could the client not be prgrammed to only remove items that are say more than square away from a player?
This would enable people to lay out a few of there wares on the ground like a peddler might "great thieveing rp there as well as nice for humble peddlers like myself"
Would also enable me to sit down with a bottle of wine or mead next to me as one may do when taking a drink on the grass.
Lastly it would enable me to do my laundry in my usual leasurely pace :P

I know it is a small issue as such it really depends on how much scripting it would take to make it happen. If it could be done easly it is a little touch I would make use of at times.
Pendar
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

Items don't rot, we only say that to roleplay the dissapearance. The server 'sweep' deletes items on the ground after a while because otherwise there'd be a lot of lag. I'm sure they're already working on this too.

:wink:
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

For trading secure of rotting we have these nice little tables in the shop. They actually have a purpose.

Rotting has to occur, but some items don't rot as fast as others.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Tables? No rotting? Please explain this phenomenom to us players ;).
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Yes, my curiosity is drooling.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Estralis Seborian wrote:For trading secure of rotting we have these nice little tables in the shop. They actually have a purpose.

Rotting has to occur, but some items don't rot as fast as others.
Could you explain why I can rust daggers and swords on tables then? And yes, tables are great for trading. Things rot on tables too, or people could go around setting maces and junk on them.
Sherg

Post by Sherg »

Right click a certain table...you will see.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Are they working correctly this time ?

Last time I used one of these tables it deleted my items as soon someone else opened the table and placed an item in/on them.

But thats quite some time ago.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

As far as I know the items start to rot when you close the "inventory window". Everybody, feel free to test the tables.

@Pendar: Your proposal "let the server only rot items that are not close to a character" sounds like lots of work. Maybe the tables help you in between?
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Thanks all,
Rotting or server sweep little difference same affect.
It is as I said a relatively small thing and if it takes much work then I would never expect it to be implemented. As of course the server does need to pick litter often.
Thanks I will play with the table idea and see how it goes.
washing clothes in a hurry
pendar
Sir Gannon

Post by Sir Gannon »

Dont leave things in the table to long.. They still rot. Lost a wand inside of it... Heh :)