RUNDLL problem

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Brendan Mason

RUNDLL problem

Post by Brendan Mason »

For the past week or so, I've been having problems with my computer, which have no begun to run into my enjoyment of Illarion and the forums.

Whenever I start my computer, I receive the following message when my operating system, Windows XP loads:
Evil Computer wrote:RUNDLL

Error Loading
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll

The specified module could not be found
Ever since this message started to appear, several problems have arisen.

1. When browsing the internet, the page moves down very slowly, as if the bottom part stays put while the top part crawls down. Once I do not scroll, the image displayed is fine.

2. When I try to play PC games, I am prompted a message by the client:
"You have no graphics card installed."

This is false, as my computer has worked fine until recently with it's NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200.

When I peruse the Advanced Display section of my control panel, it says that the following video card is installed: VgaSave.
I have no idea what this graphics card is, and until recently wasn't aware it existed in my computer. I can only presume it's the default.

When I opened up my computer (voiding the wretched warranty!) to see if my graphics card was loose or something, all was fine.

3. Finally, this has begun to effect my enjoyment of Illarion, has it seems that the draw rate has decreased dramatically. It also seems to run slower-which is not due to server based lag.

I find it a chore to read the forums as well, due to aforemention issue with my internet explorer.

~~

I would appreciate any suggestions or help.
Sir Gannon

Post by Sir Gannon »

Frist discard explorer for something like Mozilla Firefox. * Swears by it * Second I would get something like Norton windoctor. Would greatly help with any windows issues. All I have haha.

Gannon
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Windows XP is satan in programmed form.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

1. Extract all data you want to keep
2. Format
3. Reinstall everything properly

Always solved my issues with any windows-version (except Win2k, which I strangely never have issues with).
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

I'd try reinstalling your graphics card drivers first.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Adano Eles wrote:I'd try reinstalling your graphics card drivers first.
If this doesn't work an earlier driver could be more stable. I remember when I had a geforce card the newest driver wouldn't seem to work with illarion, so I had to use the one that came with winxp.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

This shouldn't have anything to do with stability. The missing file is part of the NVidia driver set and the "VGAsafe" entry should mean that Windows did install some low end standard driver for the card or even uses software emulation for the graphics which explains why the computer is so slow and complains about "no graphics card installed".
So any driver you have for your graphics card should work. Of course, if you -then- have any matters with Illarion you should switch to an older version. :)
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Alrighty, when I attempt to install the new drivers, the following errors occur.
Bad Computer wrote:Error Code: -5011 : 0x80040702
Error Information:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (548)
PAPP:NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Drivers
PVENDOR:NVIDIA Corporation (http://www.nvidia.com/)
PGUID:EFB7D050-CAD2-11D4-B34D-00105A1C23DD
$9.1.0.429
@Windows XP Service Pack 1 (2600) IE 6.0.2800.1106
In other words, it wont allow me to install the new drivers. It's...very disheartening.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Have you scanned your computer for viruses and spyware lately? I'd save formatting as a last resort.
Lysu Davanum

Post by Lysu Davanum »

OKay...listen carefully. Start up the computer with an restart disk(I have one from the win 98 time..very handy), in MSDos, without Windows XP. Then, very important this one, type:

Code: Select all

format c:
Then press return. Tadaa! No more errors. Now, only put in the nice microsoft cd, and reinstall. That usually works for me.

(Oh, and incase you did these actions without making a backup of all your most important files, I'm not the one to blame, because it is VERY clear that I wrote it down(meaning here))
Cedric Kilmar

Some thoughts...

Post by Cedric Kilmar »

Well, I think there are two different Problems, the thing with your graphic card an the error message.

I (hopefully) have two solutions to solve the problem with the error:

----------------------
1-Setting Windows installer service to automatic

1. Go to start-->control panel-->administration*-->services
2. Double-Click on the service "Windows Installer"
3. Change the Starttype from 'manual' to 'automatic'
4. Maybe you have to reboot your Computer...

*(something like that, i just got the german version ;) means "Verwaltung" in German)

2- Re-installing or updating InstallShield

THIS site should help you... just follow the instructions :)
----------------------

For the problem with the graphic card i've got the same idea: update drivers (if this doesn't help try the card on another computer...)

well, i hope this helps... otherwise re-installing windows isn't such a bad idea ;)

Cedric
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Thanks everyone. There's a lot of useful information in these posts and I'll be sure to attempt everything.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

BUMP

Anyway, I once again require help. Entirely frustrated by Microsoft's "customer support" and so forth, I decided to follow Lysu's advice and just format my computer. I did this, except upon re-installation there just seems to be a plethora of more and more problems.

Upon connecting to the internet a message: "Error: Could not connect to MailReg."

I have no idea what this means, and Google results are terrible at best.
When this message pops up, my connection seems to slow down to a snail's pace and after a few moments my IE simply stops working.

I installed FireFox from a cover CD that I received with a magazine and things seem to be working adequately.

However I have more problems:

When I attempt to connect to MSN via Trillian, nothing happens and the program seizes. I suspect that this is all connect to my "Mailreg" issue.

And finally, the feather in the hat. Since the reformat (i.e, this morning) when I connect to Illarion, my connection is unbearable. The entire program freezes and I assure you this isn't run of the mill lag.

I've even begun to receive, server too slow, WSAE type messages when attempting to connect lately.

And finally, my whiney, bitter plea:

Help!
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Well, I just have one last query. I know it'll probably go unanswered and I'll get scolded by some Brendan circa 2002 wannabe for not editing my post, but..feh.

Anyway. I think I've located the source of my problem. Something has weasled it's way into my Registry. I had the intention to outright go in there and delete useless things like Internet Optimizer, to see if that would help anything, but, upon double clicking the "regedit" application, I'm greeted with an unusual occurence. The window, where regedit would normally appear pops up for a few moments.

However, when I move my mouse to begin tinkering, the window automatically shuts itself down, not allowing me to access anything.

Anyway, one of these little intruders seems to be eating away at my internet connection, reducing it from a once delightful 6k/sec/download to 0.8k/sec/download.

Understandibly, this makes it impossible for me to play Illarion, as the lag on my behalf, as opposed to server side, is unbearable.

Once again, any help is appreciated, etc, etc.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

www.lavasoft.com

The program is called Ad-aware and I use it every day. If something is eating at your computer you could have malware and/or spyware, trojans, dataminers, etc. That is all bad stuff that Ad-aware will find and neutralize, quarantining and deleting it.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Always use 2 or more spyware finders...each program have different flaws.
Lysu Davanum

Post by Lysu Davanum »

I believe what dear Brendan about is about his registry, not about spyware. And he already used a lot of spyware scanners (I have talked extensively with this about him). I believe there is a program what checks your registery, or lets you delete things from it that are not necessary anymore (like that mailreg).
Although the version that I have, requires paying. If anyone knows a free proggy with which you can meddle with your registery, please post here ;).
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Well, I took Quinasa's advice, and downloaded Ad-Aware. It discovered several mal-ware files hidden in my registry. Things run to be running smoother now.

Thanks to everyone.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Yay for Brendan. I still wish to hear more about a free program to edit your registery (maybe there is one standard in Windows XP? I do not know. Please enlighten me). I have some..problems of my own.
Vindigan

Post by Vindigan »

I had to re-install windows a few days ago and thought i'd try windows XP. After about 3 hours of formatting and installing, I have decided to stick with Windows 98se :D

All I got with windows XP was "file missing" or when I try to turn the computer on, it would just restart itself over and over and over till i chose safe mode.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

Cliu Beothach wrote:Always use 2 or more spyware finders...each program have different flaws.
I suggest Adaware and Spybot. I use both of these and they do the trick.

Only today my computer decided not to let me delete some games from my comp :evil: But I'll get 'em, don't you worry.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I have adaware, where would I get spybot?
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

Spybot

Next time, just ask Google :wink:
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

It's not good to have two different anti-spyware programs on your computer, they will recognize eachother as spyware. That's what it is in most cases, anyway.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

My Dad always suggest multiple spyware programs to run.
Certain programs, don't get it all. And before deleting, you can always choose whether or not to delete certain things.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Right.

But people who don't know what they're doing don't know what not to delete from another program.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Welcome back to my monthly computer topic.

This month's problem has to do with my internet connection. When I connect (using Dial-up) I can get on fine.

However after about ten minutes, the connection cuts, without warning and I have to dial up again.

Any suggestions as to what is happening?

I have Windows XP and Service Pack 2 installed.
My modem is a 56k conexant modem.

Thanks in advance.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Many kestions™... first is do you have call waiting? Do you have a voicemail box on that line? Have you told your friends not to call you 10 billion times in a row because you don't answer the first time? Sounds like a problem with the phone line, not the computer. Check the line for static. Depending on your crap... I mean internet service provider *cough*AOL*cough* you can disable the call waiting and that should work.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

My ISP is pretty reputable here in Ireland, so I doubt that a problem arises there. I'll try the other stuff...

Thanks Quinasa.