Runes

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

falco1029

Runes

Post by falco1029 »

I need to know what items you need to read runes and learn magic. I ahve heard another way is by teacher, but have found no one who can teahc me, and I want to learn on my own anyway. Please help.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

This is something you ask IG.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I have tried, several times. All end up the same way, they don't know.
Aryllis

Post by Aryllis »

Ask the right people..like monks....

Aryllis
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

The library is a good place to start your quest for wisdom.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I have asked everyone I see, even magic users. Any magic users say that they got it from a book and you can't do it anymore. I have looked at the library and it just tells what the different tomes do.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

You have to try harder.

Obviously, someone has been misleading you.

And obviously, mages won't go teaching just anybody who walks up to them and asks to be taught—most people who act like that, are too eager, and too dangerous to teach magic (consider: competition).

Quite in the contrary, I think your character would have to win the personal trust of a mage, and then slowly learn.

It took one of my characters around 3 months real-time to learn any rune, and that was mainly rooted in his personality, and how hardly any other mage character would take him seriously as an apprentice mage. Another character of mine was able to get to learn the first in the matter of a few days.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Do you mean that each rune actually needs different things to learn? And do you need to have a mage teach you, or can you learn from runes by yourself? Can someone at least throw me a bone here? Preferrably one that DOESN'T land in the library?
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

falco1029 wrote:Do you mean that each rune actually needs different things to learn?
Maybe.
falco1029 wrote:And do you need to have a mage teach you, or can you learn from runes by yourself?
In fact, there is more than one way to learn runes.
falco1029 wrote:Can someone at least throw me a bone here? Preferrably one that DOESN'T land in the library?
Yes, keep a sharp lookout for mages. There is even a good proportion of mages who try not to be recognized as mages at all. If you're extremely lucky, you may even get to witness a little competition of mages, or meet some of them conversing about their craft.

And trust me on this: you're going to spoil alot of fun for yourself if you find out how to learn runes out-of-character before finding it out in-game.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

*throws a big bone*
While walking the island with your walking cane at your side, watch out for rocks or you might stumble.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Maybe.
wow, how specific an answer :?
In fact, there is more than one way to learn runes.
What's the other way, other mages teaching you, right?
Yes, keep a sharp lookout for mages. There is even a good proportion of mages who try not to be recognized as mages at all. If you're extremely lucky, you may even get to witness a little competition of mages, or meet some of them conversing about their craft.

And trust me on this: you're going to spoil alot of fun for yourself if you find out how to learn runes out-of-character before finding it out in-game.
I hardly find it fun but whatever, if anyone else wishes to help feel free, otherwise i'll do my best to have my character figure it out *looks for a cane*
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Recently written on another thread/forum section:
Moathia wrote:somthing like becoming a mage or a druid should not be able to be done by one player alone, but a path with teachers.
As I said, with one character it took me months, with another days. Figure, with which one it was more fun to me. The one where I felt rewarded, for playing all that time, and I was happy my character could actually and finally cast magic? Or the one where it felt like a routine?

I mean, in case you haven't heard yet, magic is not really a common thing in this game, and if it was, it would be a well-guarded secret. ;)

But seriously, interaction is the key. Roleplaying interaction between characters to have them learn things like Druidry or magic is ultimately more memorable and enjoyable, as it involves several players, and not just a single one.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

You obviously don't know me well. I don't get much feeling from the "Oh i did it myself" thing. I really could care l;ess if it was spoonfed or if I did it myself. I personally would rather get it done in days rather than months
Nikago Fyrstyn

Post by Nikago Fyrstyn »

Then you are surely in the false game.You can reach every goal in Illa within days you need months or even years to play a charakter like you want and like is skills are to fit into the game.
Sorry ,but hearing that nonsense liek "i don't get the feeling "yeah i beat this all alone"" ..what a lie is that i think everyone get this and is atleast a little bit proud of him/herself.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

falco1029 wrote:You obviously don't know me well. I don't get much feeling from the "Oh i did it myself" thing. I really could care l;ess if it was spoonfed or if I did it myself. I personally would rather get it done in days rather than months
:?
It was not like I was "spoonfed" for several months: My somewhat evil character had to spy on good guy mages to find out what was behind magery, because most of these mages would either just laugh at him, or demand outrageous prices for teaching him because they didn't like him. Bottom line: it involved interaction, and therefore involved role-playing.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Nikago Fyrstyn wrote:Then you are surely in the false game.You can reach every goal in Illa within days you need months or even years to play a charakter like you want and like is skills are to fit into the game.
Sorry ,but hearing that nonsense liek "i don't get the feeling "yeah i beat this all alone"" ..what a lie is that i think everyone get this and is atleast a little bit proud of him/herself.

No, the point of the game is an rpg, where you play a character liek you would in rl. In rl, there are people who like to take the easy way out too, so I am completely valid in my wanting to do so.
Moirear Sian wrote: It was not like I was "spoonfed" for several months: My somewhat evil character had to spy on good guy mages to find out what was behind magery, because most of these mages would either just laugh at him, or demand outrageous prices for teaching him because they didn't like him. Bottom line: it involved interaction, and therefore involved role-playing.
spoonfed means the easy way, which would be the one that only took a couple days.......

EDIT: You know what? I'll post something on the rpg forum as my character, therefore at least involving interaction.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

falco1029 wrote:You obviously don't know me well. I don't get much feeling from the "Oh i did it myself" thing. I really could care l;ess if it was spoonfed or if I did it myself. I personally would rather get it done in days rather than months

Magic isn't something you CAN get done in days. There are things you need to buy that cost a LOT of money. And in order to get the kind of money you need you have to work for a long time. You insult the hard work and role play of my character and so many others by taking a nose dive into assuming things about something you don't understand and making it seem a trivial thing. It took me ages to learn runes. Don't be so impatient and stoop so low as insulting those you play with because then NO ONE will want to help you.

-Jaime
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

All I really am asking is WHAT items you need to buy, I will do the work myself if needbe. I just said I would prefer not to, but I have the work ethic to do it if that is the only choice.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Please play ingame to find out and don't treat magic like you would in Diablo.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I have been trying.....
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

All I really am asking is WHAT items you need to buy,
And all we're really saying is that you HAVE to find out in game.
I will do the work myself if needbe. I just said I would prefer not to,
No one is going to do it for you, and I'm sorry to say but no one is going to help you if you have that attitude. All the things we get in this game we work for. How do you think we feel when someone like you comes along and demands that which we slaved for handed to you on a silver platter? Again you insult all of us who have taken the time to work as hard as we have to get our runes. If you ever get the runes you will know what I am talking about. And AGAIN: the catch is: the only way to find this info out is to do it IG.
but I have the work ethic to do it if that is the only choice.

It is, and we've told you time and time again. You say you have the work ethic. Now prove it.

Jaime
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Bah, i know what i ahve to do now, and possibly may be getting a teacher sometime soon. The teacher I found in game. The info for how I could do it myself (Which would take an extremely long period of time) I found out about 50/50.