Ale

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rand Kalhan Al'Vega

Ale

Post by Rand Kalhan Al'Vega »

I beleive there should be an NPC in the tavern that sells ale and such
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Oh please... :roll:
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

For those who still don't know it and surf into here, the tavern (named the Fluffy Sheep) is owned by Tialdin. IG there are offers on his behalf to work for him as a tender.

The actual problem is that there's a list of people who are employed IG, but it's pretty much next to impossible to ever meet them ig, though; either because they have too many different characters and don't feel like playing the tender role, or simply because they just can't be on 24/7.

But I also remember from older discussions that the general consensus was more or less: "We don't want an NPC barkeeper/drinks vendor".

... now to explain Kasume's post.

Function :arrow: "Search"

It's located on the top right, in between the words "FAQ" and "Memberlist", in the first of the two rows.

It's pretty helpful to prevent yourself from posting something that's been discussed before. Or rolled up in older threads, several times. Especially if it's the Proposals section, which is far beyond what I'd call a "mess".

My short-liner proposal of the day:

Make the Search button five pixels bigger in Font size, as to distinguish it visibly from the others. Please. K? Thx.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I asked martin about this, theres a good possibility we will have it in the next client. Ale that is, because there is not even that yet. This is like trying to sell a bag of grain that doesn't exist yet. You could buy nothing from this npc I suppose.
Otherwise, just remove Kasume's ability to post and the forum will be dramatically less insulting to human intelligence.
Belegi

Post by Belegi »

Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Gro'bul wrote:theres a good possibility we will have it in the next client. Ale that is, because there is not even that yet. This is like trying to sell a bag of grain that doesn't exist yet.
If we'd want to be mean, we could start a conspiracy and spread the word that the dwarves have been selling poison for ale. :wink:

But seriously, I'd appreciate that, it's kinda weird when you drink a bottle of "ale" and your character is more than half-dead afterwards, but you don't ever get the "You are drunk"-message from it.

As most people seem to have an aversion against wine, milk, and hardly ever buy it. Or nobody can walk to the river and fill a bottle with a water.

So I still don't understand what an NPC barkeeper would be good for.

With PC barkeepers you have many more possibilites for RP:
• Arguments
• Bartering about the price
• Eavesdropping of PCs on dialogue*
• Bouncers who kick you out
• Committing "illegal" acts when there's no tender around, like miming the tender yourself, or covert transactions and deals.

Besides, lately I've been seeing more and more activity in the tavern. It's just a question of RP, and that the people finally stop just hanging around in front of Eliza's Shop and actually move around (gee!).

Picture the awkwardness! :
A: I'm the new bartender here.
NPC: (scratches his head)
B: What about him? (points at the NPC)
A: He's just my lackey.
B: Alright. ((clicks on the NPC bartender and buys some drinks ))
NPC: (( deletes some of B's money and adds the drinks to inventory ))
NPC: Pleasure doing business with you.
A: Well, what can I do for ya?
B: Bye. (leaves)
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

With a pc barkeeper there is next to no possibility to rp, for the simple reason that they are only barkeeping for such a short time and very rarely. The only time i've ever seen a pc barkeeper is when there are already a bunch of players in the bar. But no one really goes there much because there is next to no reason to be there (besideds being on of the only places in town with chairs :wink: ). If an npc where put in the bar, it would become much much more popular as a hang out of a place to meet, greatly increaseing rp between players. Not to mention making it seem like a real tavern rather than some empty building full of chairs.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

sorry to revive a dead topic. I personally think this would work best:

Have an npc bartender that can be disabled when the pc bartender is there.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Do you have any idea how stupid an idea this is? How would the NPC be disabled? How would the NPC know when a PC bartender is there?
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Post by Jeremy Gems Willowbrook »

Does this mean that sam and Eliza are stupid and pointless? Since you can buy and sell to PC's just as easily does this make them obsolete? Personally I think a few more NPCs around would be a good thing. Some players seem to forget that there are supposed to be townsfolk other than the PCs wandering around. GMs would also be able to play the NPCs sometimes....as has happened with Sam and Eliza recently. Giving more quest opportunity and RP possibility.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I am not sure what type of programming Illarion uses, but I am sure there are ways that the NPC could disable itself if it saw a certain account nearby. As jeremy said, more NPCs around would be a good thing.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Dónal Mason wrote:How would the NPC be disabled? How would the NPC know when a PC bartender is there?
Bartender key item --> shift-click bartender key item + NPC

Done.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Bingo
Laizen Woodsman

Post by Laizen Woodsman »

but that leaves an opening...bartender killed. bartender key item stolen, NPC disabled permanently until restored by tinkering with code, all just for the hell of it. the GM's would never hear the end of it...i want ale, reactivate the NPC, fix it
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

They can make un dropable items you know.
Nikago Fyrstyn

Post by Nikago Fyrstyn »

What Laizen..do you think before you post? They could just make a normal item, or special item, to activate it and when the bartender get killed he gets a new item and the killer got the item took away..maybe with an ban including..just for testing if this still can be done :twisted: .
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Better yet, make the bartender untargetable, with super magic resistance. So you cannot attack him, and if you cast on him your magic gets thrown back at you. :twisted:
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

the same thing is done wiuth eliza and sam, so basically copy sam and replace the items with ale and wine and such, oh and replace the looping phrases from "Sam rearranges his wares" to "Bob (or whatever) brews a batch of beer"
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

OH OH! If someone targets someone in the tavern, make him shout "GET OUT OF MY TAVERN!". So he can warn the guards of fighting. :D
Laizen Woodsman

Post by Laizen Woodsman »

you could make the bartender untargetable with super defence magic
...then the bartender could walk around and kick everyones ass
Miraci Ruhn

Post by Miraci Ruhn »

And if the NPC were to talk, DONT MAKE HIM TALK SO MUCH!! It gets VERY annoying when I try to have a conversation in the shop and get interrupted with "Sam scratches his head and hums a melody... Numberss are god for booksss not brainsss, yesss... Writes small numbers into book and seems to calculate." It gets mixed in withall the other things that are MORE IMPORTANT!
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

F'ck it, let's bring illarion up to date and stick a cigar vending machine in there and give the bartender a shotgun under the table.

No-one will agree because people want to go to the tavern to buy beer to roleplay and talk together there, yet no-one who has beer seems to be able to sell it there! The easiest way (imo - jeez, cant leave that out these days :roll: ) is this:

Players who can (but more importantly want to) make beer on a regular basis will write on the town walls 'I will be serving beer between [this] time and [that] time' of course they need the owner's permission.

That way on the day you can show up if it's in your time zone.
Salesh Ssshak'rr

Post by Salesh Ssshak'rr »

Laizen Woodsman said:

...then the bartender could walk around and kick everyones ass

why would an NPC want to kick someones ass? and... some people need their asses kicked every once in a while. :twisted: