The New Fad

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alora Ironforge
Location: Bashing Away At Galim's Depot...Damn Dwarven locks...

The New Fad

Post by Alora Ironforge »

I have seen many people lately using the poison that we Rp as beer on people. It has become the "in" thing to do. Which is all fine and dandy cause i guess a new player could kill even Muten in two bottles, but i just have a question, when you are fighting someone, say me with and axe and you with a sword....How exactly do you force poison on me?

I have been now attacked 3 times with it, all to no avail, funny really. And have seen even an Elf use it, and 2 other orcs.

But Today was the best.

A orc attacked Dival, and was killed by John. He Dropped a fire sword.

Then he ran from cross to depot i guess, back to the square, ran to me and typed "#me readies to attack" So i came close to him to RP attempting to grab him, but i receive the message "Someone grabs you from behind but fails to give you some fluid."

But he failed and somehow he died, guess he drank it himself and was not healed from cross, cause i never attacked him. He again dropped another firesword and 28 poisons.

I guess what im just wondering is why has poison become so popular and does it make sense to work when 2 people are engaged in close combat, both with weapons flailing about?
paul laffing
Location: the place where only completely serious people are allowed

Post by paul laffing »

None at all. Actually, how they could fix this simply is by making it that you can not use poison on a person wearing a helmet. They could also put this for healing potions, mana potions, and those kinds of things. This could to a small extent cut down on powergaming because you can not use health potions with a helmet on.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

I consider it bad RP.
It's been done to me before. Why else do you hear so much about my ESC button from Arcia and his bud?
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Yes, makes no sense at all, and it's bad RP, as Kasume said.
Forced RP, most importantly, because you're RPing to swing melee weapons at eachother and parrying, and I'm sure none of these ignoramuses is giving #me-actions before they pull these stunts.

Have you ever tried "parrying" and dodging blows from a baseball bat with a beer bottle in your hand IRL?
I didn't think so.

The idea behind such a technicality in-game is, I presume, to give people potions to drink, or to sneak up on them and try to poison them - and NOT in a melee. And don't forget: Just because it's not a weapon, it doesn't mean you don't have to describe this via the #me-command.
Otherwise it's just PKing.

Not to mention:
The thought of someone trying to kill a Dwarf with beer or beer-like substances is just plain ridiculous.
Last edited by Moirear Sian on Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Never heard of your escape button Kasume, your esc button has a long way to match the legendary Elaralith's. Anyway, there are holes in a visor, someone fighting and breathing heavily especially with a full helmet, would probobly not be able to hold their breath and would suck in at least some of the poison. They could always throw it at your helmet, or splash it on it. If your wearing full plate armor I doubt you could dodge it, and since 99% of people use double axes they would not have a shield to block it. There you have it, the first anti-human tank weapon.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

You have good points, Gro'bul, but if there's no #me-action to accompany it and describe it, it's horrible RP in my eyes.
Mia Handur

fad

Post by Mia Handur »

Unfortunatly I also think it became a new fad due to someone cheating IG.

I know of someone who had used poison and had stated it as such to me IG. They also asked me to make them more poison to use.
Due to a typo error on the whisper function another pc "heard " what they should not have heard. Then when I inquired as to how to even use a potion to attack someone (( i had never done it and did not understand the tecnicality)) they explained ((ooc)) and then demonstrated the fact.
There was the other pc there again standing in the trees listening. So now they new how to use poison IG attack also.

I then had a conversation IG with a "preist" and asked then philisophical questions regarding killing with poison and what it does to a souls balance etc. The "fad " started just after those events took place.

I have IG been followed so much I am never even sure now when I am alone because there was a PC RP'ing as a spy on me and my conversations.

I suspect that this is how it all began.

The timeline seems about right and the other pc's Rp's have been questionable enough before to seem it would be something they would do again.

Bad, bad, and bad.

I am sorry if my curiosity IG as a PC started this all.

Mia
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I don't get it. What happened to the days where people would hire assassins to kill the target from behind rather than trying to "out-tank" him/her?
Alora Ironforge

Bloodhearte wrote:I don't get it. What happened to the days where people would hire assassins to kill the target from behind rather than trying to "out-tank" him/her?
The point here is not sneaking behind someone and Rping an assassination. The point is how can you poison someone slashing an axe at you, while you yourself i am sure hold some sort of weapon.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

By throwing a bottle of poison for the victim to take a strong whiff. But that's all I can think of.
Neonfire

Post by Neonfire »

Poisoned blades?

But seriously, how about drinking health potions with a helmet on? Impossible. Or has Galim invented the new helmet with potion-holder and straw-support? :wink: That's the point where the snake bites in its own tail.

We have two possibilites ... make it all more complicated (take helmet and weapons off for drinking potions), or we just leave that little wrongness.

But back to "why it is so modern to poison" ... I really don't know. But be aware that poisoning is still in a balance process.

And kids, keep away your fingers from too much beer. I heard some dwarves died on alcoholic poisoning lately.
Alora Ironforge

Actually i never have wore a full helm, always a chain open one. Me eyes arnt that good to see threw a full helm.

But point taken.

So just all be warned. Posion is running rampant, and after this post im sure my beer sales will triple with new investigators :lol:

Best if ya think your opponent will use it, Step back and he will use it with the ground and poison himself. Then make short work of him.
Narecoph Luier

Post by Narecoph Luier »

Well, darn. I agree that using it as it has been is bad roleplay. My characters roleplay was going to be based around poisoning people by sneaking up. I thought it was going to be original. :(
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Alora Ironforge wrote:Best if ya think your opponent will use it, Step back and he will use it with the ground and poison himself. Then make short work of him.
Hm...taking advantage of a technicality to prevent your pixelized person from turning into a puff?

If I accidentally miss throwing something at someone, it doesn't bounce back and hit me. :?
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Narecoph Luier wrote:Well, darn. I agree that using it as it has been is bad roleplay. My characters roleplay was going to be based around poisoning people by sneaking up. I thought it was going to be original.
If it's anything to you, it never happened to me ig that someone snuck up on me and poisoned me with RP reasons, in three months game since I've began. But I've encountered the problem Alora was describing, where people use it in a melee.
Alora Ironforge

Bloodhearte wrote:If I accidentally miss throwing something at someone, it doesn't bounce back and hit me. :?
I guess since he was trying it while i was swinging a war axe at him, i must have hit a home run and knocked it right back into his own mouth.

The next time it happens i will run the bases in joy :lol:

Plus when is stepping back from someone about to shove liquid in your face considered wrong??

If someone threw battery acid at Bruce lee, Would he lean into it??..... :?
Last edited by Alora Ironforge on Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crocket

Post by Crocket »

I don't see how you could force a person to drink poison unless they are unconscious. Throwing poison in a persons face does not force it down their gullet, it might burn them or something but not kill them.

Now poisoned weapons is another story.

And why can't you drink potions with a full helm on? All the ones I have seen has a hinge on the face guard wich can be raised and lowered.

Now drinking a potion while in the middle of combat is anther story helm or no helm.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

As one of the persons who used poison i want to make a statement.

1. I asked a GM before I started with this about the rightness of using poisons in battle. His answer was: "For that poison is there". It is the weapon of druids and that. I asked if it is forbidden, the GM said no. Bad roleplay WOULD be forbidden i think.

2. The simply use of poison in fight means to dodge the enemys attack, seeing a hole in his defense and using this to come close to poison him with swift and skillfull hands. I never use poison in armor above leather. And I started to use #me's.

The yellow potions was meant as poison. Just the dwarves to roleplay it as beer. It is NO beer. Was never made by the GM's as beer.

Poison is no uber weapon. A step back is a legitimate way of avoid it. It is the bad luck of the one who tries to poison when the other one step back. It is just fair. It simply means to dodge the other ones attemp.

You kill very fast yourself with poison when you think you can use it as a uber-weapon. It should be used by the right hands. Not by every wannabe-poisoner who wants to kill very fast.

My character Shan is NO fighter. She has no stats for fighting. Poison is her only middle to defend herself, and she can kill herself very fast with it. She wouldn't use it if she would be good enough to defend herself with the sword.

Using poison depents on the character too. A fighter using it have not the same roleplay background for it like a, well...elf like Shan. The most times poison won't help to kill someone, just to make him move back and let you be. Of course it is the other ones own fault when he stays beside the one trying to poison him.

Thats all for now, see you :)
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

We have two possibilites ... make it all more complicated (take helmet and weapons off for drinking potions), or we just leave that little wrongness
We would not only need to deal with the issue of taking helmets off while drinking then, people would have a 'bad-rp-finger-pointing' frenzy and we'd have to make it so you cant change helm in a fight, it would also have to take time to change helmets. Due to the advantage of helmets stopping poison they'd need to have the disadvantage of lowering your perception somewhat.

I think it should just be left how it is, and those who attack and poison at the same time should have their roleplay frowned upon, unless you attack with fists and poison, that'd be sort of like simulating the damage you'd inflict in the struggle.

So my opinion would be to just leave it as a little thing anyway. Most people I presume would not do it if they were a decent rper anyways.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Alora Ironforge wrote:
Bloodhearte wrote:If I accidentally miss throwing something at someone, it doesn't bounce back and hit me. :?
I guess since he was trying it while i was swinging a war axe at him, i must have hit a home run and knocked it right back into his own mouth.

The next time it happens i will run the bases in joy :lol:

Plus when is stepping back from someone about to shove liquid in your face considered wrong??

If someone threw battery acid at Bruce lee, Would he lean into it??..... :?
I was referring to throwing it at the victim, not make them drink it while reisisting forward. That would be ridiculous. But if facing forward, I imagine it's difficult to dodge something hurled at you quickly when so close.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

:idea: Idea! :idea:

The #me says .. 'someone grabs you from behind and tries to ...(etc)'

So why not make it so poison can only be used on someone if you are behind them? Not sure if this is technically possible or difficult but would save the issue of using it in battle (excluding the helm thing.)
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

I didn't realize that we were throwing napalm at each other... :shock:
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Well I don't know C++ or the scripting language but it would be sort of complitcated even using visual basic. That is forced rp Hermie, you would have to say "#me attempts to grab you" or something, and then the other person would say something like "#me is grabbed", then you give them the poison.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

I don't attack while i am using poison. I attack, or I use poison, but not both together.

About the grabbing from behind, you peoples shouldn't see the standing infront of each other of your characters as the real fight. For you they are just standing infront, but for them they are moving, twirling around, dodging and that. And yes, even move behind them while they are fighting. Just because your avatars don't do it doesn't mean your characters don't do it too.

@Grobul

Not every poison try is a success. It depents on many things. Like fighting. To poison someone is like attacking someone. You want to write a "#me tries to hit him with his sword" while attacking him with strg too? For that the skills and stats are, determine how a fight ends.

There are of course the fights just based on #mes too. But just because you don't write a #me tries to grab him and that doesn't mean forced rp. The other character HAVE a chance to resist. Determine by the game engine.
Konstantin K
Location: Permanently Banned by Uber Powerful Mega-GMs, because he was BAD.

Post by Konstantin K »

Ooooh-ho-ho-ho.

Thanks for getting me started on that question.

1. For skillful druids (assuming you are immune to this type of poison)Spraying it by taking a mouth full and spitting it around their face.

2. Breaking a bottle on their helmet or their face. Sharp glass damage + poison.

3. Force poisoning. Easy, during a battle. I would gladly show you how it's done IRL. Alora swings her heavy axe at you, misses a hit, you quickly dodge, sidestep, hit her shin, make her trip, grab her neck with your elbow, almost as in to perform a throw, and pour the liquid into her face.

4. Alora swings her axe, misses, you sidestep, jump behind her, grab her neck, open her mouth wide and pour in the poison.

Please.... Every time we drink a potion to heal, we don't RP this:

#me sidesteps from the ogre
#me unstraps his helmet buttons
#me takes off his helmet
#me sheaths his blade
#me opens a bottle
#me drinks the potion
#me puts the helmet back on
#me takes his blade

Come on...

Or maybe PO Alora had found that there is a new weapon her pixelized friend is vulnerable against, and now it feels dangerous again? :wink:

By the way, for all who did not know, you can now use poison on monsters. Have fun, and good luck in your poison training, my little friends! :)
Konstantin K
Location: Permanently Banned by Uber Powerful Mega-GMs, because he was BAD.

Post by Konstantin K »

Just my opinion below.

Success of poison should be determined, only in my humble opinion, in this way:

Attacker's agility + (attacker's dexterity * attacker's parry) + attacker's perception + attacker's armor (the less he wears the better).

Victim's agility + (victim's dexterity * victim's parry) + victim's perception + victim's armor.

If total number of points for attacker > total points for victim, poison is a success.

Strength of poison should be determined by:

Component Skills of druid who made the poison versus victim's constitution.

Thank you.

Flame me.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

#me draws a flask from his bandolier and uncorks it with his teeth, then swigging it down thirstily

In my logs somewhere. :wink:

No flaming please.
Alora Ironforge

Re: The New Fad

Alora Ironforge wrote: Does it make sense to work when 2 people are engaged in close combat, both with weapons flailing about?
That was a riveting performance K, yes i understand you have a grudge against me ingame...life continues..but you never answered the question.

How is this performed if the Poisoner is also holding a sword and shield or a two handed weapon. I didnt ask for silly pixel comments or state my pixels were scared of anything. But your imagination runs wild.

Anyway, Gm's please lock this topic. I have had enough answers from level headed individuals to satisfy me.

Thank you.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

I am level headed? As i wrote before, I don't use poison while attacking. A dagger is fast drawn with high agility and dexterity. Have i rellay to change the field on which the dagger lays? a dagger have not really any parry

I am sure you walk around with a weapon in your hand the whole time too. you drink beer with a weapon in your hands, or work. or sit at the fire, and your axe lays on their fields. That is the same.

but to state this. using poison while attacking with strg. or using bigger weapons like doublehanded weapons or shields is not good and shouldn't be done. and in heavy armor it shouldn't be done too.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

If you spend time typing #me-comments you have some trouble anyway. :wink: