TO the new people and to every one who wishes to hear

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mia Handur

okay

Post by Mia Handur »

so "chief " tossed it then. No problem, my mistake. I am sorry.

And apology accepted, thanks.

Mia
Mia Handur

fighting skils

Post by Mia Handur »

Regarding fighting skill. Yes it helps and it is hard to be a non-fighter type character who is not an accomplieshed fighter like myself.

Especially when the fighting/killing type folks are chasing you around trying to kill you. It severly limits a persons options and hinders the RP aspect of the game. I have "gone to the cross" for absolutly no good RP reasons and it started my fisrt day ( less than half an hour) when an orc character attacked me right in town, in the middle of the square, in front of three folks, for no other reason than I was a brand new person. An older character then apologized to me IG and OOC an gave me some supplies other than the hammer and shovel. This is sad, it was not RP it was PK PG pure and simple. And it is still happening IG, i just witnessed it myself with another new character. That is one of the reasons folks leave Ilarion. Some of the players know how to cheat and get by with it ,and who thay can bully and get by with it, and they take undue advantage of that fact. It is unfortunate and it ruins the game.

Mia
Domitrio

Post by Domitrio »

Mia, I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but you sound like you're getting offencive about all this. An Orphanage is great yeah, but just make it fun for more than just one person. Well, forgive me, two people. What if Domitrio wanted to help with the children. He loves kids, and is a priest of Elara, he could be a teacher. If I don't know where the damned Orphanage is, how can I show up with lollypops for all the kids? I'd like to help with the kids, all jokes aside, maybe we can start something up like that. Maybe that's what they mean, but you're sounding a bit angry, talking about people actually "reading" for once. I hate to have the pot call the kettle black, but if you go back and read a little of what YOU said a bit of it is a little.. disorganized, and doesn't sound as if it's coherent. Also you signed one message "Mis" instead of "Mia" so don't get on people for not reading/proofreading their stuff.

BACK ON TOPIC! A lot of characters wear plate armour, keep chain in their bag, have an axe, sword, shield, warhammer, and magic wand all in their possession at all times. How true to the RP is that? A person could barely take a plate HELM off during a fight, much less change armours. Maybe there should be an IG limitation on removing items. Like make it make you tired, so you can't work soon after or fight anytime soon after. It would lead to another fascet of strategy, and make fights more realistic. Just a little add-on in my opinion. Not necessarily required, but it would really be nice to take the "I carry one of every weapon and armour needed" edge away from some players. Because you know the character wouldnt' do that, he would have a prefered weapon and armour, and be so focused on the fight that he wouldn't think about changing anything, only about protecting his life and being able to stay away from the cross!
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I don't think anyone is questioning how unrealistic it is Dom. The fact that it is not a bug, and within the technical limitations of the game right now makes it pointless to discuss. Armor doesn't work well without padding, you might not be cut but you could just as easily sustain internal injuries. These things seem like they should be put in the proposal board instead of the general board.
Mia Handur

Armor, clothing, and trades.

Post by Mia Handur »

I think the idea of being "tired" or somthing like that after a battle has some merit, as well as the "changing limits". But perhaps take this a step further, a limit on the number of healing potions, and or mana potions, one can consume during a battle/fight/duel, because the body simply needs rest and nourishment. If a character can "work" until they are "exhausted and can work no further" why can't this be applied to other pysical exertions as well, like fighting and such.

I also do not like folks running around carrying multiple types of armor and other things and then changing to adjust to the circumstances. This can be acceptable within reason, such as one blunt weapon and one edged weapon, but the "multiple armor in the bag" syndrome is getting a bit rediculous.

I rp my charater in work clothes. ( dress and cape style) because she is usually doing mundane things like sewing, harvesting, trading, helping others etc. The leather armor and weapons for when after mummies for thread or harvesting in the desert due to scorpions. She never "carries" extra's with her. She must go to a depot to change each time, She has one set of chain but only wears that when going out to dangerous areas with other pc's on adventures to areas like the Troll woods and such, or when an attack occurs from monsters in town. (example. During one attack on the town she had to run to the shop to get weapons and armor and such to help defend. and as a result some folks were left without healing assistance and are consequently upset with her, which adds to the RP aspect considerably) This is a much more realistic and I wish more folks would rp this way. It seems there is an over abundance of "fighter/knight" type Pc's who do not seem to have any real "jobs" or "trades" to speak of and not enough of other types. Folks like "Arvillon of the farmers union" are a breathe of fresh air at times.

By the way I certainly hope gamers will not take advantage of this information during IG play.

Oh and I am sorry if anyone was offended my my "read" comment it had nothing to do with spelling and such it was meant in a different context. My apologies. Grammatical and spelling errors are somthing we all make, myself included.

Mia
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Avrillon wears clothes 99% of the time anyway. shirt, pants, farmer's hat (common looking hat made out of red fabric), leather boots, gloves, bag, and 2 rings. Those clothes probobly should be replaced, he wears them quite often. The only matching colors are black though, I wish we had white shirts, he would definately dress snazzy then.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Back on topic.
Willum wrote:to all you new people DONT POWER GAME!!
Willum is my hero.
Game rules, #9 wrote:Carrying out an action repeatedly, and for an extended time to raise your skill, is called Power gaming, and is forbidden. A worse case is when the player is doing something else to entertain him/her self meanwhile (e.g. watching tv). Note: Casting offensive spells on yourself will kill you instantly.
The rules don't say it, but I think it's powergaming and cheating to use a #me-action describing your equipment to be one way, while slipping pieces on and off in your inventory.
It's one thing to have your character lie about something to another character - but belying the other player is truly cheating in my eyes.
If, i.e. someone describes (via #me) before a duel that they're wearing one type of armor, but slip on another immediately before combat begins, I believe that is powergaming. They're seeking the absolute advantage in every combat situation.
That's not the only thing. Using F12 to locate people is just plain ridiculous. I think it's another form of powergaming. I mean, someone's trying to hide their character from yours without logging out on you, why spoil the fun of a little hide-and-go-seek Tom'n'Jerry situations? All you're doing is making your character the hero of the day, for they are divine and hear and see all that is around them, in a 50' radius. I mean hey, I think I'd actually let it pass if I knew the person doing it was playing a character with Perception 18, because then they're the type who can hear the friggin' feather hit the carpet. But let's be honest. Who here has a character with anything even close to Perception 18? I know my character does, and I don't abuse the F12-function. I only use it to, i.e. differentiate between human A and human B on-screen, because they don't look different by the ig graphics.
Other people might find these too strict, but I find them extremely easy to follow, and I believe they need to be added to the rules:
• You may not use #me-actions to misinform another player
• You may not abuse the F12 function to "spot" hiding characters

Edit: I forgot one.
• You may absolutely never mix OOC knowledge with your character's knowledge.

There are honest players who do some serious RP with their characters ig just to obtain information.
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

Especially when the fighting/killing type folks are chasing you around trying to kill you. It severly limits a persons options and hinders the RP aspect of the game.

I feel this is directed towards me since our romp through the town. I am not going to state details, and you were probably fed up. But if you rped with me I wouldn't have gashed you right there. I would have probably held a sword to your neck and toyed with you. If you shouted guards I would of been out of there quick. And tell you next time you wont get a chance, or something like that. I do have a reason to get ya....
Mia Handur

Abuse of F12 and lies

Post by Mia Handur »

In many ways I agree with you on the abuse of such things as the f12 key.
And the deceptions and lies about saying one thing yet doing another for battle advantages etc. Realy anyone close enough to atack you can also see what your wearing or putting on.

Also a player was asked in ((ooc)) what armor they had on by another player. No rp, No other conversation IG nothing. And when the newbie walked away they were followed and the ((what armor are you wearing))
continued numerous times. The player is new and the asker is not. That is abuse plain and simple. The new player eventually got disgusted and left.

Oh and here is another abuse that myself and another player caught some one else doing the other day. The abuse of such things as too thin walls between the uppermost level of the shop and the depots on the fist floor. If someone is upstairs is talking in a whisper or even a normal voice then the folks downstairs by the depots should not be able to hear them.
( Unless of course you have that hear a feather fall type hearing 18 and up perception skill))
Granted thin walls can be used if used "properly" but lets face it folks abuse this also.

Mia
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

In many ways I agree with you on the abuse of such things as the f12 key.
And the deceptions and lies about saying one thing yet doing another for battle advantages etc. Realy anyone close enough to atack you can also see what your wearing or putting on.
Yes, but also it is other reasons it is abused, Just because your char literally can't crouch doesn't mean they are always standing...hence the #me function. Also, it is nice if you describe you hiding in the forest...all though not needed it helps the other rper KNOW you aren't just there.
Also a player was asked in ((ooc)) what armor they had on by another player. No rp, No other conversation IG nothing. And when the newbie walked away they were followed and the ((what armor are you wearing))
continued numerous times. The player is new and the asker is not. That is abuse plain and simple. The new player eventually got disgusted and left.
Are you sure the other player was new? New numbers dont mean new players. Also, to find someones armor just say, "glances at the man inspecting what he wears". They should #me their description.

Which maybe I should put in the propsal section...some automatic description you input and can change also like !des "description" then you just do a #de or something....*shrugs*
Oh and here is another abuse that myself and another player caught some one else doing the other day. The abuse of such things as too thin walls between the uppermost level of the shop and the depots on the fist floor. If someone is upstairs is talking in a whisper or even a normal voice then the folks downstairs by
the depots should not be able to hear them.
( Unless of course you have that hear a feather fall type hearing 18 and up perception skill))
Granted thin walls can be used if used "properly" but lets face it folks abuse this also.
Well, this can be solved on your part. Move someone where that is only one level place. Sometimes you dont always confort the bad rpers, but instead solve the problem yourself.
Turonga Mudwater

Post by Turonga Mudwater »

I use the "#me looks at what the (enter race and gender) is wearing" quite often, The only time I ever do it ooc is if I have asked a couple time IC what there weraing then I say ((What are you wearing? I cant see you its a game limitation)) Usually the other player catches on. in one instance the other player just said "leave me alone I dont want any trouble" and they left. This really makes me angry because I wanted to see what they are wearing (not for a reason of Fighting but more for any jewlry or things of value)
Rith Orion

Post by Rith Orion »

I agree with Turanga a lot. It would make better role play if people like who steal for a living to see what they are wearing to see if they have anything worth stealing.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

People hide necklaces with shirts.
And some people even hide them with what I like to call, gloves.
Mia Handur

Thin walls, etc

Post by Mia Handur »

yes I know they wre knew saw there name on the forum at the new member.

Was not for me I mentioned the "level" we just mentioned it to the person doing it as taking advantage of a bug, They agreed and they voluntarily stopped. Just wanted to mention it to find possible solutions and such.

Mia
Val De Gausse

Post by Val De Gausse »

And some people even hide them with what I like to call, gloves
Let me put a glove OVER my ring and defeat the purpose...
Mia Handur

What you don't know.

Post by Mia Handur »

They'll go around saying IG their characters are so great,
but neither of seem to have heard of Peter Fertas,
neither of them took a second to think if someone should look after Young Prince Malvita,
neither of them noticed a little girl named Alexandra,
neither of them seem to see that there's a little orc girl named Negregisa running around town looking for toys.

Okay once again You assume too much.
I did meet Young Prince Melvita and I did help him. I have met the orc child Negrigisa and spoke with about many things,and played with her and showed her how to weave garlands from flowers that I gave her. And you don't even know of the others. What does happen and what you think is not happening are two different things. I have newbies come for help all the time. And when was the last time anyone bothered to try to converse with the mute elfess Sylveria. hmmm

This whole idea with a ship full of kids is strange.

Now lets see if I understand this correctly.
IIlarion is an Island so it is sorrounded by water.

So all the new folks do what then to get here. Walk overland? Walk on water? Swim? Float in on logs? Pop out of thin air? Duh, they come via boats and ships and shipwrecks and such. Wow what a concept.

And I must commend the newer folks I have met who RP's it as such also.
They did a very nice job.

And when was the last time someone else even bother to help a newbie with anything besides talk. I do all the time and I do it out of MY own things , Not the donations. Those items are totally seperated from my own.

Wool is free from the sheep, and yarn is free from the wool, and cloth is free from the loom , and thread is free from the mummies, and leather is free from the pigs. So I buy needles and scissors out of neccesity, because I only tailor or make potions as my trades. And I buy wool and thread and guts, and leather from the new folks when I have coins to help facilitate trade , especially the new ones to help them out. So, I RP and work a specific trade that I am good at instead of multi-skilling, and I do that trade well. Yes you seem to think I only line my pockets from others donations, that they give freely and were never blatantly campaigned outwardly for to begin with, but perpetuated via IG word of mouth from others.

Yet you complain about newbies who fight too well or have too much armor or too many skills, etc.

I have two trades and few skills and poor fighting abilites and I RP'd something new and you don't like that either.

Not to mention that with enough things Burlow was going to go to the gm's to ask obtain a new building to serve as a hospital/school/shelter/orphanage that would have been called "Helping Hands" that I wished to have located in Trollsbane.
But you do not seem to balk at a character campainging on the walls for election and say they want to open a hopsital because the Seahorse is too crowded.

Yeesh!

Mia
Last edited by Mia Handur on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Avaloner

Post by Avaloner »

Mia i don't know you or your Char very good but maybe i can give a neutral statement.
Lets see well you got this ig problems with brendan and so on i don't know much of it so i will not touch that theme.
Now it seems you are angry because all of the "older" ones complaining about the new peopel abusing everthing and just play with no rp did I got this right?
Well ,when yes ,this is my opinion I also tried to help the new players or the players that play some outstanding roles (syl i'm thinking of you in this sentence.) I always like to see new peopel trieing to make quest and so on,but then just for some minutes I saw a bad playing (well not bad but only something that really annoyis me) .
Someone was cursed and suddendly speaked ,no problem for me as player, but my char logical can't believe someone who was freed from a curse without seeing any healing session or something like that.
Then my char jumped up and pulled out her battelstaff ,after some time standing in the corner and with some #me i clearly shown the others that my char was afraid of them ,but they just ignored it .
Soon after the tavern crowd up and my char sneaked outside.
Then she called a friend talked (uniterresting things)... in the end she was in the door of the tavern ,again I write more then two sentences about that this girl ((500xx))
was a black mage but again they just ignored it.Then there was a accident because someone pushed me away and i got in range for attacking her (i got her already as target and there was already a #me about this, telling here than i got my staff outside and ready for striking) then as they all heard the slashing and saw the attack they all suddendly reacted ,not before, i find this only poor ,but its not my fault when they ignore it. ok back to topic.
I only wanted to say that it can be fun to playing with new ones and odd chars ,but the older and the younger ones seem to got problems with watching all actions you should better read more carefully,just imagen someone who stands in a full bar with a weapon and everbody ignores it ,is that normal?
Ohh and Mia one more thing ,I don't say any of my chars is great and I'm sure the half of the community plays much better rp than me but you can't punish all of them only because they don't know many of the new ones ,you know we all got a privat life.

Ps: Its a problem to play with syl because she got a huge load work in rl (well she says that i got there a other opinion :wink: ) and only can come sometimes to Illa.
Mia Handur

New folks

Post by Mia Handur »

I think more folks should rp with the new ones and get to know them. And help them with technical issues as well. I did not get much help in the beginning and it can be very frusrtating for new folks. Fortunatly I finally met some gamers who gave hints and such to help me along. I am gratefull to them. (albiet i am still new to many and still new to some techincal things) So live and learn.

About that curse ("no voice") thing a whole lot happend long before you got into the tavern, I was there at the beginning. but I left when you were in the tavern.There was a cure known and others were out searching for the "orc teeth" needed to cure it.

And more folks need to actually rp to get info as apposed to assume they know the info from such things as these off-topic dicsussions and such.

Learn it IG thru RP and then try to RP it accordingly.

Mia
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

@Ava: I'm sorry I more or less ignored the happenstances there, but my character just received, in the exact same time, information that was equal to hearing that a very close person had died. So I hope you understand Sian's point for having ignored what was going on nearby. :wink:
But I agree that it's quite strange when people go about, ignorant of someone having drawn a weapon next to them. I can't see it anymore, an orc walking up to someone with an axe that is half the size of themselves, and grunting and yelling at them, while they laugh in its face as if nothing's going on.

Doc Burlow wrote:I guess what im saying is, for those with no imagination...all thats left is the clicking on skeletons, and those who have imagination....soon give up cause no-one believes what there doing.

Homeless people in illarion? People come off boats? I never seen a child graphic character yet?
You know what I don't like about this specific passage of text?
It's implying that people who don't RP like Burlow have no imagination.
It's implying that you're only imaginative if you RP, making up things the client doesn't support, rather than using all the interesting, and to some extent undiscovered nuances of the client's capabilities.
Two words: "Diamond Dash".
A game of putting a diamond under a vase, shuffling it around with two others, and letting the player choose under which of the three it is hidden. You win some, you lose some. But hey, it's supported by the client. And I did it IG. Vases my character can make, because he's a glass-blower, raw diamond rocks you can dig up in the desert. A player sees them when you put them on the ground. The only weakness the client has is that I can't shuffle a vase with keeping the diamond under it. Using some sleight of hand, I pick up the diamond before placing the vase on it, and place it back down when the player draws back a vase to pick one. Some laugh at first when it lags, because they think I'm cheating them, but a quick and smooth ((ooc)) explains I'm actually not cheating them and the have a fair chance to win.
But in the end effect, I came up with another of the many things you can do, rather than clicking on the same skeleton or tree one hundred times. And I didn't even have to rely on people "playing along" with "invisible things".
Let's return to the "Diamond Dash" example. I could of course just RP this with someone via #me-commands. But isn't it much better if someone can actually steal the raw diamond? What if a vase breaks occasionally (by disappearing from the ground ig)?
Do you see my point?
Of course the client doesn't support everything your imagination comes up with. But that doesn't mean you can't use your imagination and cleverness and project it onto things that are possible in the client. You can sell a beer claiming it to be Tialdinbräu, or you can say it's another brand. But the bottle is there, you can hand it someone in the sense of the client's technicalities and someone can drink it. Or you can claim your clothing equipment is somewhat special, because you bought it from an absolute master of his trade, who RPed crafting the item excellently. As another example, Sian asked Gorden Fisk to forge a two-handed sword some time, including specific runes engraved on the blade. The client doesn't support variable graphics for the same type of weapon, but I'd have Sian pay significantly more for the craftswork and I'd, in the future, include in #me-commands that it's a bihander with runes on the blade. No IG benefit, it's only a question of RP. There are players, who do not powergame, and who spend alot of time ig to get together the items they believe they require to RP their character properly. Or they spend time getting followers, or allies. Or obtaining information. Or whatever you can think of.
I'd like to remind you how few people do carrying jobs for money. I'm actually just generally talking about labour which does not raise your skills, only your finances. For example, I've never seen anybody ig working explicitly as a page, who, I could give money and a verbal message, and feel somewhat assured they look for a specific person, and bring my message to that person ig.
On a final note, I'd like to say I'm not concerned about Burlow's RP in this sense; after all it does say somewhere in the RPG section there are boats and children. I am more concerned about how the possibility of just "making up" things can be abused ig and used to cheat.
There needs to be a clear line drawn between what you may and what you may not do via a #me-command. Because while people back up the case of orphans and boats on the isle, it's outruled in another thread that an outlaw may not move around the island via "an invisible boat" (in the sense of the client).
Which still makes no sense to me.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Hmm, i do roleplay with the new as often as i roleplay with the old, i make a point of trying to get new players tasks to accomplish, and missions to complete.
Mia Handur

New folks

Post by Mia Handur »

Yes Arist ,you do, as a matter of fact I was one of the folks you helped as a new player and I thank you for that.

Mia
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Avaloner. The curse was removed elsewhere on the island.
Mia Handur

Imagination

Post by Mia Handur »

I agree Sian in many ways.

For example I think Foosers Onionball is wonderfull.

I just had a fishing contest my self the other day that I initiated with a new player and we had much fun. I got beat badly by the way. 3 trout and 6 fish to my poor little 4 fish and I got beat in another fishing contest I just had this morning with Morgan. That is imaginitive RP.

Also a hobbit and I are going to have a running contest in the near future because I asked him to show how he runs and hides so well etc etc.

The RP ended up in a contest to be held between us. Imaginitive RP.

So just because the server supports fish and onions folks are okay with it, but if I had say a Kite flying contest with all the fellow tailors in the area it would not be supported because the server cannot make a kite?

I seriously doubt any one would complain about much because they cant see a kite? Or would I have to have a sewing contest for clothing that you could "see" because the server supports it.

Or how about the carpenters making wooden boats and floating them in the river for a boat race? hmmm

Or lumberjacking, or smithing, or gem cutting. No one seems to initiate these? I would but they are not in my skills as character so I do not bother.

But there is more to roleplaying than politics, religions, powermongering and money.

Okay so if you cant see it then it can't happen? really now. I agree that rp should be imaginitory and flavorfull as well and these are some more examples of my ideas.

But children cannot exist. So where does that leave a player like Negrigisa, who does exist, except without the approriate graphics.

Not to mention the fact that no one was forced RP'ed in any way that I know of to give anything to any body unless they wanted to.

So then , anyone want to join in the running contest with me and Jeremy?

Or fish with me?

And I do remember and Herbs contest that Lennier created, that was interesting to say the least.

Mia
Last edited by Mia Handur on Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mia Handur

Housing and imaginary places/residences

Post by Mia Handur »

A question ,

Who exactly is Brumble and where is his house?

For that matter where do any of our houses reside?

Where do any of us sleep and eat and such?

hmmmm

Takes a bit of imagination there and the server does not support that either.

Mia
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

My house is the second one on the right of the footpath in Greenbriar.
I know you're going to answer that I'm just one player, so I'll pre-emptively answer that I was being tongue in cheek.

Mia, can I ask of you a favour? Please don't edit your posts after somebody has answered to them extensively, it makes the previous poster's answers seem less formulated and silly.
Avaloner

Post by Avaloner »

I know it as player ,but my char not you must just imagen somone you know some minutes who can't speak and suddendly begins to talk you can't say "ohh nice your curse is broken" you will be shocked because you don't see how it was broken. my char has acted like she would act normally when she suddendly see dark magic vanishing without a sign..accusing everyone in the near as mage ,because someone lifted the curse.
At the end after my attack alora talked to me explaining that ,sorry forgot that to add.
Last edited by Avaloner on Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

This whole idea with a ship full of kids is strange.

Now lets see if I understand this correctly.
IIlarion is an Island so it is sorrounded by water.

So all the new folks do what then to get here. Walk overland? Walk on water? Swim? Float in on logs? Pop out of thin air? Duh, they come via boats and ships and shipwrecks and such. Wow what a concept.
I think you missed the point that this was getting at. It isn't the concept of ships that is strange. I believe it was the fact that it was a ship full of children, almost being ferried as freight to such a small island which in itself is a hostile environment. Now wether its a misunderstanding about ships 'full' of children, I wouldn't know. Considering that travel by boat was dangerous in the middle ages (pirates and boats unable to withstand a storm etc) why would someone take these children here and why here? If the captain of the ship got paid for it then who would have paid him and why? Maybe this is another misunderstanding, perhaps by ships you again only ment small craft that orphans had found, stolen (whatever) and got here in a few numbers, but I don't understand why they would flock to Troll's Bane. For the record, this isn't a dig at your roleplay, I just can't see much logic to this.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Mia Handur wrote:But children cannot exist. So where does that leave a player like Negrigisa, who does exist, except without the approriate graphics.
Well..they can exsist. You just have to do a #me everytime to describe it. And sometimes people react like: "I don't care" ((I actually got that btw...)). But it would be nice to actually have them around a bit more, and noticably (i.e. child graphics..although that is a proposal)
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Thank you Hermie.
Mia Handur wrote:Yet you complain about newbies who fight too well or have too much armor or too many skills, etc.
That's my given right. To complain about it.
I find it frustrating, to say the least.
Mia Handur wrote:Not to mention that with enough things Burlow was going to go to the gm's to ask obtain a new building to serve as a hospital/school/shelter/orphanage that would have been called "Helping Hands" that I wished to have located in Trollsbane.
PMing a GM beforehand wouldn't have been bad. The respective GM could have jumped to action in forum and defended an OOC-discussion concerning it right off the bat. Still I see no GM sanctioning in the case of the Orphanage, if there is, then they're not making it transparent for the players.
Mia Handur wrote:But you do not seem to balk at a character campainging on the walls for election and say they want to open a hopsital because the Seahorse is too crowded.
Nope.
Ties in with the answer above.
Mia Handur wrote:So just because the server supports fish and onions folks are okay with it, but if I had say a Kite flying contest with all the fellow tailors in the area it would not be supported because the server cannot make a kite?
Well, I think more people would be OK with it, because it would involve actually getting people organized for the event, posting an actual event schedule in the RP forum, etc.
Of course, you can argue now there's nothing spontaneous about it. But how do you propose I came up with Diamond Dash? It was a spur-of-the-moment idea.
Seriously, when were kites invented?
And also, how do you propose to judge when someone wins a kite flying contest with the current client? In onionball you have bystanders who can judge if someone was hit by the onion or not, I'm just having trouble imagining how you're going to set up and judge how someone wins a kite flying contest in the current Illarion client.
Mia Handur wrote:Okay so if you cant see it then it can't happen?
I have strong opinions on it. I clearly say "no" to this, but I am neither GM nor illarion-staff.
Mia Handur wrote:But children cannot exist. So where does that leave a player like Negrigisa, who does exist, except without the approriate graphics.
My point is, exactly, RPing with a child character like Negregisa is better than playing with "invisible" child characters.
Because RPed children characters can be smelly, rotten, loud, abrasive, rebellious, or just a general pest. Ones that are "invisible" and therefore not there do not react, they're subject of how good someone puts them to life with the #me-command. You can just -claim- you're doing a good job of caring for them, while effectively you're just making it up. While on the other hand, if you interact with a child character who is actually played by someone, the PO child character gives you "organic" feedback as to how you interacted with them.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Perhaps i could give Mia Fergesh to look after, he is a big kid :P